Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Little Shepherd - crafting dung.crawl/roguelike (now with a word about design)  (Read 12540 times)

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I've been making a game, with a title which is subject to change. It is in an early development stage, it is free and if you want, you can try and take a look:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And some screenshots:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I'm starting to put up a word or two about my design plans and choices. Those will probably be someday put together to for some kind of a manual or something.

Spoiler: Attributes and skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fight system (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dungeon design (click to show/hide)

Some things you might be interested in knowing:
1. There is not much to do aside from killing a goblin a dozen of different monsters over and over again. It will change (soon).
2. My primary intention with this is making a pretty intricate combat system and very, very robust crafting system. Both are pretty far away from completion.
3. It is going to be a a dungeon crawl with no graphics whatsoever, unless I change my mind later on. But for now, prepare for it to be text based.
4. It will be as moddable as possible, with XML files keeping all the data.
5. If you encounter a bug and/or want to encourage me, post here. It will be nice to read something about this little horror.
6. I'm writing it as a console application in C#. I'm not, as of now, using any libraries; it may or may not change in the future, depending on whether I will any that fit my purpose (some simple console extensions for better graphics).

Screenshots are up there. As I said, not anything fancy beside the sheep.

Spoiler: Developement plans (click to show/hide)

Thank you for your attention. ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:13:14 pm by BlindKitty »
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shepherd The Game - crafting dungeon crawl/roguelike
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:41:11 am »

Treating this tread as a sort of developer diary combined with vanity fair (I'm pretty proud of what I learned so far), I would like to announce the version 0.5.2.2. of Shepherd The Game. Most important changes as of now are:
1. There is not only a goblin, but also a kobold. The kobold is somewhat stronger enemy right now.
2. Logic for randomly choosing an opponent based on monster level and player level is here. It is almost complete (and took me some time, including rewriting Monster class to a template TMonster class and creating a new Monster class, and also making an IProbability interface), even if now it barely shows up, due to only two monsters existing. But it should also work for items and materials, allowing me to move on.
3. Battle class, governing everything that has to do with fighting, is being reworked.

Link stays the same.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 03:58:02 am »

No screenshots makes you hard to trust. I will play once there are screenshots.
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 04:24:33 am »

Well, I dropped a few additional in the first post. :) I've actually posted some screenshots back in the time, but those were in the Roguelike Development Megathread, and those were outdated, so I made some fresh ones. Main menu, inventory buying screen, character sheet, battle screen and a farewell sheep. :)

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »

Thanks! Will play later :)
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 04:38:43 pm »

A quick update, but as I'm already falling asleep on the keyboard, I won't throw in the new version just yet (it needs a little more tweaking):

1. Another minor clean-up in code (this is absolutely invisible from outside, but that's what makes me proud of myself - I'm learning new things about C# pretty much every day).
2. IProbability and meaningful distribution methods implemented in items (no more Adamantine Full Gothic Plate Armor on experience level 0).
3. Monsters are dropping items now (OK, just one item per monster, but it is really something for now).
4. The letters to press are now all in square brackets (like this - [y]es or [n]o), hopefully improving use experience. If there is an user. ;)
5. Second iteration of data input started - metals are now actually different.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 04:43:10 pm »

Looks promising. I'll try to check this out later.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 01:10:09 pm »

So, the new version is here (the download link is still where it was, in the first post). Most important changes:

1. Somewhat reworked fighting logic (which is a major point right now). Most importantly, time - limited effects can now take place, and there is first use for them; quick attack is much weaker, but doesn't leave you at a disadvantage, and strong attack, while more powerful, gives you -10 to both attack and defence. There will be more attacks in the near future, but first in line is speed implementation, which will probably take somewhat more time, even in the rudimentary form it is going to take now.
2. Reworked items - they now have more meaningful values of all the coefficients, more sensible amounts of materials (for now measured in cubic centimetres) and so on.
3. Some more data working, which moves us one step closer to final version of item recipes; from that point, I will start adding more and more items, because right now it would be a little pointless.
4. New currency - Specks instead of gold pieces. It will make more sense in context, once the context is actually up (no earlier than 0.6 version, though).

I think there should be no major bugs in this one, but if spend some time trying it and notice any problems, let me know. There might be some, especially with reading player input - it isn't very well maintained, and the methods I use for that come from a very early version and still await revision...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 10:00:46 pm »

Got a crash trying it out. Made a character, and when I went to look at my wielded weapon it crashed.

NullReferenceException

InOut.CSO.printcharactersheet(Player _player)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 05:15:03 am »

Found out the problem - I suppose you didn't equip anything before trying to check your weapon, as this triggers the bug. :) It will be repaired in the next version I will be putting up, and for now, remember to arm yourself as a first thing after creating a new character. :)

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 06:16:14 pm »

So, a new version is out there. I'm already falling asleep right now, so just a very, very short update on what is changed:

1. Repaired the bug Mephansteras noticed (you are now automatically equipped with your fists and some clothes when created).
2. Implemented first iteration of speed in battle - when you gain enough speed advantage (at the moment only possible by using Quick Attack instead of Strong Attack), you get a bonus turn.
3. Created a bunch of new monsters, now total of 10 different beings can be killed in-game.
4. Even more data working and reworking items; should be more interesting now. I'm afraid gold and silver are still a little too common, but this problem will have to wait some time, for the next iteration of the probability calculations and/or data mining (which should mask it by making much more metals available).

Next version should improve inventory management, even better and more useful equipment, some finishing touches to monsters and a little overhaul of shields and armours, making those more important.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 11:31:37 pm »

Another crash:

Went to buy new equipment at the start of a game, and got an immediate crash. KeyNotFoundException getting a random item.

I then did a successful duel against a Rat. I won, increased my stats, got a picture of an ant or something, and then the game exited.
Come play Mafia with us!

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 03:04:17 am »

I had that crash-when-buying-stuff once too. It is probably linked to some particular item that I made some mistakes about, but I can't replicate it yet; I'm working on it though.

You must have chosen random duel, the first option in the menu - it allows for one duel and then exits the game. If you would like to play a little more, campaign is the way to go (random duel is mostly for the debugging, actually, as it requires less button mashing to get to the actual fight).

And the picture is of a sheep. It's a farewell sheep. Maybe I should use better graphics, but I'm no graphic, myself. ^^"

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 01:17:17 pm »

Ah, ok, I can see that being a sheep. It's fine. Although maybe having it say Farewell as well would be good.

I figured the duel might be a one-time thing based on how it exited, since it was graceful and not a crash, but I figured I'd mention it since the game doesn't exactly say what's going to happen.
Come play Mafia with us!

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 05:55:16 pm »

The bug still eludes me - but I think I might have a place to look for it now (it probably has something to do with an error in XML data file), and it comes up rather rarely now, I think (at least that's the case for me), so I hope it won't be a problem.

I have also uploaded a minor revision, with random duel option masked in the main menu (it's still there, but it's not shown in the menu); campaign has much better explanation of what happens before the Farewell Sheep arrives, and it's pretty much intended game mode, so it will probably stay this way until I implement level-specific random duels or something like that.

Thank you very much for your post, Mephansteras. Those are very helpful. :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5