Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Heroes and Villains (Placeholder until something better is suggested/thought up)  (Read 3676 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

You wake up in your ________ in ________ and shake the last vestiges of sleepiness out of your system.  You are confronted by a lack of remembrance of who you are.  It must be an aftereffect of that accident that happened yesterday, which you managed to get out of unscathed, but somehow you managed to with only minor wounds, so you were released quickly.  You focus and try to remember who you are.

Spoiler: Information (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Awesome. I have some ideas, but first I need some questions answered.

1. What are appropriate origins? Are we to draw from the Golden Age of comic books, the Silver Age, or something else for inspiration?
2. What power level are the final characters "supposed" to be at--more like Superman or Galacticus, or more like Squirrel Girl and the Riddler?
3. How serious/realistic will this be? Comic book upbeat silliness, Worm-like realism and tone, somewhere in between?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Awesome. I have some ideas, but first I need some questions answered.

1. What are appropriate origins? Are we to draw from the Golden Age of comic books, the Silver Age, or something else for inspiration?
2. What power level are the final characters "supposed" to be at--more like Superman or Galacticus, or more like Squirrel Girl and the Riddler?
3. How serious/realistic will this be? Comic book upbeat silliness, Worm-like realism and tone, somewhere in between?

Whatever you feel like having.  Just so long as the origin story doesn't include the powers having manifested already, go wild (but please have it be a character you create, rather than from a source.  What I mean is, as an example, you can create a character similar to batman, but not a character who is batman.)  The only thing I will really be picky with is the weaknesses, just to make sure that the strength of the powers - the strength of the weaknesses is what would be considered close to 0.  As for seriousness, that depends upon the player of the character, since my interaction falls under a) combat rollings, b) random events (fires, buildings collapsing, etc), and c) the original manifestation of the powers (probably won't be all powers coming in at once).  All the rest will be dealt with by players writing for their characters.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the city is going to be selected from the list of applications, so everyone is going to be in the same one, and I would like a short description of some notable features.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile

Secret Identity: Joseph James
Job: Tow Truck Driver
Housing: Double Wide Trailer
City of Residence: Barstow CA is a small city of about twenty thousand people. It sits in the desert and is the halfway point between Las Vegas and Los Angeles, being about two hours away from each by car. It has a massive railyard that serves as a hub for trains moving between Southern California, Salt Lake City, and Chicago. Entertainment options are limited, but it has a drive-in, a proper movie theater, a mall, and several parks and museums.
Relations: 9 Year Old Daughter Jen, Ex-Wife Phyllis, Ageing Parents in San Francisco, Some contacts within california biker and beach bum communities.

Alias: Black Incarnate
Costume Description: Joseph's costume is a skin tight black latex jumpsuit emblazoned with a human skeleton pattern.
Powers/Mutations/etc:
-Death's Ride: A magical device that can transform into any rideable animal or small open air vehicle. (Jet Ski, Motorcycle, ATV, ect) He keeps it in the form of a red and black Harley Davidson chained out in front of his trailer. If damaged or destroyed it can restore itself within a few days.
-Fell Magic: Black Incarnate can throw blue-grey bolts of magical fire and lightning. Injuries created by this magic heal unnaturally slow and are unnaturally painful to bear.
-Sword-Scythe of the Rising Sun: An unnatural weapon that takes the form of a Katana. The Sword-Scythe is nearly indestructible and capable of deflecting most energy attacks. The sword grants the wielder expert knowledge on how to use it.

Weaknesses: (needs 1 of equivalent strength for the strength of each power/mutation/etc)
-Abraham Holiness: Black Incarnate is rendered unable to use his spells when in or around a Christian/Jewish/Islamic holy site, or when touched by an object that is held sacred and/or specifically blessed by such a religion. It takes Joseph a good night's sleep to restore his power if he loses it this way.
-Challenge Vulnerability: Someone who is completely helpless and at Black Incarnate's mercy may challenge him to a game of skill or chance for their life or freedom. If challenged in this way Black Incarnate must accept the terms and respect the outcome.
-Determinism: Joseph sometimes receives orders from a higher power to kill somebody in particular. He is compelled to follow such orders to the best of his ability.

Alignment: CN

Origin Story:

Joseph was a high school dropout and a single father before that fateful day when he got the call. It was from his friend Chet, who had just killed a man in self defense. Chet happened to be one of those biker types who didn't trust cops any further than he could throw them, and decided to cover up the incident. Joseph, ever the dutiful friend, was roped into help by doing the heavy lifting. During and after the cleanup Joseph claimed some of the dead man's strange possessions.

Over the next few weeks Joseph learned that the dead man was some sort of grim reaper, and that the artifacts he had taken were more than enough for him to wield some of death's might for himself.

Joseph tries to use his powers for the common good, however he often ends up on the wrong side of the law when helping to keep his seedy biker friends out of trouble and is occasionally compelled to reap the souls of innocent people. He is more than happy to help defeat criminals he is not friends with and global level threats to human civilization.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:17:38 pm by Weirdsound »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Secret Identity: Angel Carlson
Job: Student
Housing: Her parent's house.
City of Residence: Ely, Nevada, a puny town in Nevada. County seat of White Pine County.
Relations: Parents; Baby sister (Gretchen)

Alias: Omega
Costume Description: Omega has no "costume;" when she goes out on cape business, she wears a pink hooded sweatshirt and an opera mask, hiding the upper part of her face. Plus whatever else she was wearing, of course.
Powers/Mutations/etc: Varies. She has, at any point, three powers; one which she can significantly influence, one which is chosen by some unknown force based on what would be helpful in the situation, and one which is almost completely random. If you count her ability to sense what powers she has, and her lack of need to sleep, she has five. (I'm basing this on Eidolon from Worm, but Omega has less control over her abilities.)
Weaknesses: Omega's most notable weakness is the metal copper, which saps her powers. (Naturally, Angel discards her pennies before going out.) Omega is sometimes in conflict with her power, which causes issues when you consider that the more she uses her power the less control she has over herself. And finally, she is six years old, with all that implies. In particular, Angel is extremely curious, which will no doubt get her into an impressive array of trouble.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Origin Story: Angel got her powers when a trip to Mount Washington came within a hair's breadth of ending in disaster for her. She wandered off from the group to get a better look at a bird she saw, only to slip on a rock and tumble down a cliff. Some kind of...thing entered her as she lay at the bottom of the cliff, dying, with her classmates watching shocked and the adults panicking. Ever since then, Angel has felt this thing there, giving her abilities she wouldn't have had otherwise but also influencing her actions. Angel has taken to carrying a little change purse full of pennies inside her shirt to keep in firm control...but that won't be an option when she starts going out as a superhero.

GM says this won't work, I'll think of something else.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:44:27 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile

Put the word 'defeat' after 'help' in the last sentence of my origin story. It was a rather important omission to correct.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Secret Identity: Acadise Harper
Job: Detective
Housing: Apartment place for single person.
City of Residence: Indio, California.
Relations:
Joseph Musewako - Boyfriend of one year, working as a firefighter. Currently not living together, but planning to get a place together soon.
Richard and Shelby Harper - Parents living in NY.
Conner Harper - Older brother, journalist. Lives in Cali, but frequently travels to Latin America for stories.
Melissa Olsworth - Older sister, living in Canada.
Patrick Olsworth - Melissa's husband, currently the mayor of a small Canadian town.
Lily Harper - Younger sister, student at California Tech. Acadise personally sees her the most out of her immediate family members.
Jamie Ashford - Roommate from college, lives down the street. Best friend.
Marcus Baer - Key member of 'Veterans for Equality' organization, met at a P.R.I.D.E. rally. Ex-Marine, Acadise's Mentor.
'Translator' - Member of the 'Temple of Sanctity' cult before being captured. Serving life in prison. Most valuable resource to information about the cult. Real name unknown.

Alias: Dusk
Costume Description: Navy-SEALS grade armor, shrouded in a deep maroon cloak. Her mask is plain and the same color. The outfit looks is purposely anonymous, to help her remain hidden even if she is spotted. It's also gender-neutral for this same purpose. (No Fanservice here!)
Powers/Mutations/etc:
Invisibility: Can turn herself, and any objects on her person, completely invisible.
Laser-Like Precision: Incredibly perceptive, when fully utilizing this ability, she can shoot someone half a mile away with a handgun.
Night-Vision: Can see perfectly in total darkness.
Regeneration: Can recover all damage, disease, and trauma.

Weaknesses:
Energy Expenditure: The more usage she gets out of her powers, the more energy she must expend. For example, she can become invisible and incredibly precise simultaneously, but it would take a lot out of her. If her powers are overused in a short time without a break, she can become exhausted, or even pass out.
Immobility: The higher she makes her precision, the slower she becomes.
Light Sensitivity: Her eyes are sensitive to direct light, so she has taken to wearing powerful sunglasses.
Equilibrium: She can only regenerate by causing as much harm as she has received. For example, if her foot is broken, she must break someone else's foot or hand or more, to be able to regenerate her wound. She could hypothetically cure herself of any disease, but only if she managed to somehow infect someone else with a similar disease.

Alignment: True Neutral
Origin Story: It was supposed to be just another regular investigation for Acadise. A dangerous cult was based in an abandoned mining facility, renovated into what its followers dubbed the 'Temple of Sanctity'. Acadise went in under the cover of a new recruit. A high-ranking minister of the temple, known simply as the 'Translator', told her that she was one of the blessed ones who had come to unlock her true potential. He offered her a scroll, and inside was a series of letters she had never seen before, but even though she didn't understand the text, she felt something strange occur inside of her.

Acadise immediately subdued and arrested the 'Translator', and chased after the other members of the cult, but they all were able to flee the scene before she could catch her and the police could arrive. When she went back outside, the desert sun, which she had become accustomed to, blinded her. After getting a pair of sunglasses, Acadise assumed this to be a temporary effect of being in the dark temple for so long, but it never left. Later, at a police shooting range, Acadise managed to achieve local records of unprecedented accuracy. With the realization that she had been going through changes since the temple raid, she met with the Translator in his prison cell. He managed to explain to her, through cryptic and archaic speech, that the scroll he presented her with was prophesied to give powers to a figure that fit her exact description.

Acadise turned to her friend Marcus, who used his military knowledge and ties to outfit her with training and equipment required to hone her new abilities.

Acadise is not trying to accomplish any heroic goals, like saving Earth or ending evil, or villainy, like taking over the country. All that matters to her is keeping the ones close to her safe and protected.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhh
Yeah sure.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhh
Yeah sure.
More specifically?
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I feel that I should mention that the accident that gave you the powers, which have yet to manifest, happened yesterday in game time.

GWG, based on the description of what happened to Angel, she wouldn't ever get out of a government facility.  I can guarantee that at least one person would take a video of that and upload it to some video sharing site.  At very least, incessant complaints of feeling something wrong with her body.  Also, I would prefer no randomized powers, that has way too much potential to be abused.  I don't care how many weaknesses you pile on, that has far too much potential to be abused.  I do not care what promises are made, I very scarcely make exceptions, because I find having there be exceptions for certain players that exempt them from certain rules unfair to the other players.

Laser-Like Precision: Incredibly perceptive, when fully utilizing this ability, she can shoot someone half a mile away with a handgun.

I'm going to hazard the guess that this is also limited by the accuracy of the weapon as well?

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel that I should mention that the accident that gave you the powers, which have yet to manifest, happened yesterday in game time.

I'm going to hazard the guess that this is also limited by the accuracy of the weapon as well?

Yes, she her precision can only do so much. She could shoot someone a 1/2 block away with a shotgun, but even she couldn't use a shotgun as a long-distance weapon.

As for the 'manifestations starting yesterday' clause, can it be so that she's realizing that she's changing a bit, yet her true powers have not yet activated?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That would be useful to note, yes.

GWG, based on the description of what happened to Angel, she wouldn't ever get out of a government facility.  I can guarantee that at least one person would take a video of that and upload it to some video sharing site.  At very least, incessant complaints of feeling something wrong with her body.  Also, I would prefer no randomized powers, that has way too much potential to be abused.  I don't care how many weaknesses you pile on, that has far too much potential to be abused.  I do not care what promises are made, I very scarcely make exceptions, because I find having there be exceptions for certain players that exempt them from certain rules unfair to the other players.
Alright, noted. Although I hadn't imagined it being that...obvious that something had happened. More of an "Oh, good, she's actually alive" thing from the outside. And the random bit was actually supposed to be a balancing factor, ironically enough.

And now to think of a new character.
Sig

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

As for the 'manifestations starting yesterday' clause, can it be so that she's realizing that she's changing a bit, yet her true powers have not yet activated?

Manifestation hasn't occurred, yet.  The incident which your powers originate from has.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Will edit in later.
Sig! Onol
Pages: [1] 2