Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Mirehole, the Great Succession Fortress in the Swamp  (Read 23481 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mirehole, the Great Succession Fortress in the Swamp
« on: November 03, 2013, 09:41:07 pm »

Prologue:
The Dwarven civilization of 'The Contested Orb' was abuzz during the winter of 299. A radical group of dwarves, led by one Gnorm, began to profess beliefs that challenged one of Dwarven Society's most basic and treasured doctrines: that mountain halls could be build only in the mountains. These radicals stated that dwarves had the ability to build their fortresses anywhere they chose, and that the traditional view was getting in the way of progress. Determined to keep their holy belief alive in the minds of its people, the aristocracy agreed to let the group of seven establish an outpost outside of the mountains, provided it was an "approved embark zone." The small group was as eager as it was foolish, and left the Mountainhome on a small wagon. It was not until they left the city's limits, however, that the leader decided to take a good look at the embark zone that the deceptive nobles had selected for him.

Embark Map:

Scrawled on the bottom of the map in pen was the name that the nobles had decided for the fortress: Mirehole.

The time has come for another succession fortress on these forums. May it live long and die in the most fantastic way possible.

Process:
  • Each overseer will have one week to finish his turn, or his turn will be voided and the next person is up
  • Turns shall last one year, from the beginning of Spring to its end
  • Once the turn is over, zip the save-file and upload it to the internet. Send it then to the next person through a private message

Other Rules
  • One can do whatever he wants to on his turn, provided that it isn't the intentional destruction of the fortress
  • If the fortress dies, the next action shall be decided by me based on the circumstances

Turn List:
I. Gnorm 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Save
II. 4maskwolf 1 2 3 4 5 Save Report
III. zlob 1 2 3 4 Save
IV. ShadowHammer 1 2 3 + Save
V. Peregarrett 1 2 3 4 5 6 + Save
VI. BlackMuffin
VII. Shadowhammer
VIII. Blenheim Datandur
IX. Rhyme

Founders of the Fortress:
What are you waiting for? I need six other, able-bodied dwarves on this adventure. Simply provide a custom name and your preferred gender and profession and I'll see what I can do.

Featured Image:
Spoiler: By WoobMonkey (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:56:21 pm by Gnorm »
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Mirehole, the Great Succession Fortress in the Swamp
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 10:03:03 pm »

Mask, the most militarily minded of the group, axedwarf and woodcutter. No gender preference, and sign me up for a turn.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:24:05 am »

Dorf me as Firecrazy the miner (Male). Likes magma and gold.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:56:06 am »

Please give me any male dorf, nickname him "Batdorf" and train him into a martial artist, no weapons, just unarmed combat.  If and when you do start producing metal armor, give him as much as you can, he's going to need it. 

Bonus points if you actually have bat leather and make it into a mask. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:23:30 am »

Give me any miner and rename him/her Rhyme. And I'd also like a turn, but I won't be able to play for the next 2-3 weeks (Real Life always finds some way to prevent me from playing DF. Stupid exams.)
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 12:02:18 pm »

May I have a turn as well, please? :)
error: 'long long long' is too long

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 01:35:10 pm »

Terri-fying tropical swamp? Can't resist!
Dorf me as Peregar if male, Peregarrette if female, mechanic and marksdwarf.
And a turn too, please.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 11:30:28 pm »

I'm glad to see that there is interest in this thread, the game shall begin soon. Rhyme's turn shall occur last as of now, to accommodate for his studies.

May I have a turn as well, please? :)
Do you have any preferences for the custom name or the profession of your dwarf?

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 10:05:56 am »

I will take a male, preferably with "He occasionally overindulges" attribute. Call him Zlob. If you don't get a dwarf with such tag, don't worry.
I think a proficient mason/building designer (architect) might come in handy :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:12:29 am by zlob »
error: 'long long long' is too long

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 04:42:36 pm »

*slams hand on table*
I'M ALL IN.
Dorf me and overseer me. Male. Preferably swordsdorf or miner, or mason, but I can do anything.
Name: Zekariah.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 09:57:49 pm »

My anus.
It is prepared.

I'll be taking a turn.
This fortress has literally everything I could possibly hate about an embark zone. Terrifying surroundings, only one or two types of metal, and worst of all...

An aquifer.

So yeah. Fun.

Don't dwarf me just yet. I'll be turning myself into a dwarf when my turn comes around.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 10:15:59 pm »

I'll sign up for a turn and dwarf. Put me down for the seventh turn please. Dwarf should be Archmage and be an Armorsmith with a few military skills.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 11:17:04 pm »

The first post has been updated, and I believe that almost everything is ready. It's time to properly introduce our little game.

"Thou shalt build thy homes only within the stone whence thee came, as to honor your creation; he who disobeys this command will be swallowed by the mouth of Hell itself."
- The first commandment of Armok

Part I: Introduction

Gnorm's Logbook:

As I write these words, our cart is within one mile of the site of the building project dubbed "Mirehole" by the contemptuous noblemen. The swamp's heat and climate wear down on our wagon, on our animals, and - most painfully - on our souls. I've already seen the undead creatures roaming in the distance, and they do not look friendly. Almost the entire population of the Mountainhome thinks that we're crazy, that to even attempt to build a fortress outside of a moutain would be an exercise in futility, and the nobles seem determined to keep this belief alive by sending us to this swamp. Perhaps it would be impossible for any other dwarves, though I have six of the best dwarves around to help me.

The Men:

The Women:

We have arrived at the site. It's strange how such a terrifying and blasted swamp could seem so ordinary at first glance.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 11:24:25 pm »

Journal of Mask, guardian, entry 1
1 Granite
We finally arrived at the stinking hellhole the nobles sent us to. The undead have been trailing us for several days, and I fear it is only a matter of time before they find us. It will fall upon me to defend all of us, especially Gnorm. He is our leader, and should be die I fear our noble cause will perish. It is my duty to ensure the survival of our cause, even at the cost of my own life.

OOC edit: good luck, Gnorm. Hopefully you know how to deal with an aquifer or we're all screwed. Strike the earth!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:27:22 pm by 4maskwolf »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 01:01:39 am »

Batlog, Entry 1:

This is a good site.   A tough land, will hopefully provide trouble for any intruders.  I should begin training soon, doubt the skulking filth will arrive here anytime soon, but it can't hurt to be prepared.

((Thanks Gnorm, for accommodating my ridiculous request ))
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15