Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Mirehole, the Great Succession Fortress in the Swamp  (Read 23493 times)

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mirehole, the Great Succession Fortress in the Swamp
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2014, 07:10:16 pm »

Ahh, nope, I'll not usurp the power!  Do we have a training squad?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2014, 08:16:41 pm »

Continuation of Previous Entry

I got another shot and went to have a look around. Been living here for a few months but I didn't really pay much attention to the overall layout of the place; it was always someone else's job.

Mirehole's only entrance - besides the one with the Husk Smasher, which I'll get to later on - is a short aboveground building with a staircase in it. It's not sealed off by a proper drawbridge - only by some silly little rock salt door that wouldn't stand up to a goblin with half a brain, let alone a troll without one. Whoever built it clearly had no idea what kind of forces Goblins often bring to assault fortresses as large as ours, and it's a wonder we've survived this long.

Spoiler: Top Level (click to show/hide)

While I was up inspecting that place, I noticed a few of the abominable gloom husks that everyone's so afraid of. For a start, they're basically invincible to anything but a good decapitation or bisection, so only a squad of well-trained axedwarves would have much of a shot at knocking them down; further, they used to belong to Gnorm, the whiny sonuvanelf, and he says no one can attack them or he'll come after them with a pickaxe. I'm pretty damn sure he means it, too.

There are more of them besides that bunch I saw near the depot, of course.

Spoiler: More Husks (click to show/hide)

Most of the rest are busy with goblins. I ran out of shits to give around the time I ran out of gutter cruor, which was halfway down the staircase to the caverns, and I hate goblins anyway so I don't really care. The ones near the depot will have to go, though... I have some plans for that. We'll see if they work out. (Not likely.)

Spoiler: Masher (click to show/hide)

This is a sketch of the entryway below that squat aboveground thing that Batdorf calls the guardhouse. We've got a few cage traps - one of which contains a crazed, insanely-muscular wren man - but nothing else standing between us and utter disaster. One troll to knock down the doors and the gobbos can storm right in. The sheer insanity of it... It's enough to drive a dwarf to sobriety.

Spoiler: Entry (click to show/hide)

This thing is what they jokingly call the Husk Smasher. I haven't seen anything so silly in my life. Supposedly it'll mash them all into a gooey paste, and the pig at the end is some kind of bait, but when I look at it, all I see is a free, open path for goblin invasions. I can't even find the lever that's supposed to turn it on. It's even worse than the other entrance! I can't decide what to do first: build some good solid bridges between me and the hell outside, or run crying down the stairs and drown myself in the cavern with that forgotten beast and crocodile.

Spoiler: Best Friends (click to show/hide)

Next up is some flippery and ridiculous apartments that belong to the uppity-ups and founding members of this hellhole.

Spoiler: Palatial Zone (click to show/hide)

I guess they kind of deserve it for surviving this long in a place like this. I remember running from the husks on the way in - it was a nightmare.

Spoiler: Levers (click to show/hide)

Two things here - first, a huge room belonging to Gnorm; and second, a control room with some levers. Tacked on the wall, thank Armok, are vague instructions for what they all do. Four of them are for drawbridges in the caverns and the last one supposedly controls the masher. I'll test it later.

Spoiler: Food (click to show/hide)

This is our food and drink stockpile, kitchens, and dining hall. Nothing terribly out of the ordinary, but it doesn't look like we have enough room here. I'll have to fix that. Down the hall to the west is the route to that patch of damp stone the miners told me about. Apparently it's an aquifer, which means we all drown if we break it open if what I hear is true. I have some ideas of my own for what we can do with it, but they'll have to wait for the time being while I get the rest of this mess sorted out.

Spoiler: Workshops (click to show/hide)

I checked on our stockpiles and found them pretty lacking in everything but corpses, tombs, and engraved slabs. Those we have aplenty and none of them are going to waste. Kind of made me stop and think... what kind of legacy do I want to leave for this place? If it involves the deaths of more of those around me, is it still worth it? What loss is acceptable - a dozen? Two dozen? Fifty?

I need my gutter cruor...

Spoiler: Underground (click to show/hide)

Here we have the masterpiece of elvish engineering: a set of drawbridges that are supposed to stop every single threat that may come from below.

I have news for the inventor of this abominable product of sobriety and trollery: THIS WILL NOT STOP ANYTHING WITH WINGS.

I think it's pretty clear that I have a lot of work to do... Damn Armok, damn peregarrett, damn all of you for dumping this on me! I could've gone on in peace doing my farming for the next fifty years and not given a shit, but you all made me take up the mantle of leadership and stand atop the ruins you've created to wave my hands and rebuild everything through sheer willpower. Well, damn you all, but damn me if I can't wreak order out of chaos and wreck this place back into shape. It'll take everything I have but I'll do it.

-ImagoDeo, Reluctant Overseer

OOC: Not as bad as I'd expected.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:33:20 am by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2014, 04:24:05 pm »

Mirehole, 3rd Granite, 305

Personal Journal of ImagoDeo, Reluctant Overseer

It's hard to know where to begin, as I wrote in my last entry. However, I have decided to start by issuing some basic guidelines for travel and security. No dwarf is to enter the area of the smasher for any reason; and no dwarf is to go aboveground for any reason. I've also pointed out to all the nincompoops around here that the hallways are for walking and it's pretty damn clear to me, if not to anyone else, that walking in the hallways would therefore seem relatively logical as opposed to walking through rooms and across stockpiles.

The first task to which I have assigned my fellow dwarves is that of excavating a large section of the ground underneath those brawling horses. Then we can use a technique I know to prevent them from moving from their current location. I believe that if we can isolate them first then we can deal with them more easily later. I only worry that the miners may take issue with working in such close proximity to ravening beasts, but we'll see what happens.

Eventually I hope to clean up all of the husks on the surface, but for now a good proof-of-concept will do. At any rate, there's no way we can handle the other bunches while they're still engaged with the goblins, and I wouldn't want to deprive the goblins of any of their fun.

-ImagoDeo, Reluctant Overseer
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:05:19 pm by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2014, 10:47:29 pm »

Those were fantastic updates imagoDeo!

I'm just watching the story unfold right now, but those were incredibly enjoyable.

Btw love this fort, whole thing has been an awesome read.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:52:14 pm by PlayingGood »
*Create potion of immortality*
*Potion Created! Drink potion*
*Immortality gained!*
*You have lost your soul!*

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2014, 12:27:42 am »

Finally came out of lurk mode to congratulate all of you for one of the best adventures dwarven kind has faced so far. I look forward for the next installments.

On a side note (i.e. suggesting room for improvements), I noticed peregarrett's map and, above all things, the farming fields. With those 2 10x10 fields, you can feed a fort well over 3k. I think whoever's farming may never farm the entirety of the field.

This being said, keep on the good work.

Also, lest I forget, Gnorm, could you update the front post with the newer saves and whatnot?
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2014, 08:34:47 pm »

I would officially like to ask for a turn as well Gnorm, that would be wondrous. I cannot wait to start this bout of masochism....
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2014, 04:54:47 pm »

Gnorm seems to have taken a complete and total leave of absence from this thread.

I'll be finishing my turn some time this week. Not sure exactly when, since I'm behind on some homework and have tests coming up tomorrow. Might be able to do most of it tonight though. We'll see.

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2014, 08:25:21 pm »

Gnorm seems to have taken a complete and total leave of absence from this thread.

I'll be finishing my turn some time this week. Not sure exactly when, since I'm behind on some homework and have tests coming up tomorrow. Might be able to do most of it tonight though. We'll see.

rofl, love your signature.
*Create potion of immortality*
*Potion Created! Drink potion*
*Immortality gained!*
*You have lost your soul!*

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2014, 09:43:12 pm »

Heya, I'm rather new here but I would love to have a Dwarf named Senshuken take his rightful place at Mirehole. My only real request is that he is male; I'm happy for him to take on whatever role is required of him from the fortress at the time of his arrival. Saying that, I strongly suspect that will be in the armed forces. If that is the case I want him to become a sort of weapon master (When I say weapon master, I mean I want him to master each and every different from of weapon and combat. Give him some options depending on what it is invading.)

As much as I hate to say it, if I was to take over as Overseer I would run this place into the ground simply because I'm inexperienced and Mirehole looks like it would slaughter the inexperienced ritually.   
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2014, 11:41:58 pm »

Idea stolen shamelessly from Lielac.

Senshuken, I shall dorf you as soon as I get around to playing my turn. It's a bit late to start tonight. Probably tomorrow evening.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2014, 02:00:19 am »

Senshuken, I shall dorf you as soon as I get around to playing my turn. It's a bit late to start tonight. Probably tomorrow evening.

Wonderful!... Just remember to dorf me from one of those who make it to the fortress alive. Everything before that is kind of fair play.

EDIT: For some reason, this Fortress reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3YiPC91QUk
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:31:37 am by Senshuken »
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2014, 02:29:04 pm »

EDIT: For some reason, this Fortress reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3YiPC91QUk

If that's a prophecy, then this one will sink to the swamp. Then we'll build another one. That sinks too. And then we build a third one. That will burn down, fall over and then sink into the swamp.

But the fourth one... will stay up.
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2014, 07:34:05 pm »

Huuuuuuge... tracts of land!

Update coming soon tonight.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2014, 08:41:46 pm »

That reminds me... I'm still rather new to Dwarf Fortress, but I've heard that you can do and invade other cities and that, installing a dwarf as governor if you're victorious and conquering them. Is that possible here? Because lets face it, having client races and ownership of land that isn't in a damn, zombie and husk filled swamp sounds like a wonderful idea.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2014, 08:55:17 pm »

That reminds me... I'm still rather new to Dwarf Fortress, but I've heard that you can do and invade other cities and that, installing a dwarf as governor if you're victorious and conquering them. Is that possible here? Because lets face it, having client races and ownership of land that isn't in a damn, zombie and husk filled swamp sounds like a wonderful idea.

That would be great, except that only happens when the word is generated. Fortress mode confines players to the region they embarked upon.
Also, remember the cover story: we are a sort of heretics that came from the Mountains to a unforgiving landscape we were dead set on colonizing to show other dwarves we as a race could spread beyond the mountains (like an "up yours" to the King). And as dwarves it is our prime directive to flood the world with magma, have a drink with humans, kick elves in the teeth and bash open the skulls of goblins.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15