Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Mirehole, the Great Succession Fortress in the Swamp  (Read 23482 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Mirehole, the Great Succession Fortress in the Swamp
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 01:31:06 am »

((Thanks Gnorm, for accommodating my ridiculous request ))
Holds the crossbow and watches Batdwarf with curiosity
-I bet my plump helmet to watch how you beat the undead with bare hands. What about we both stay on guard while others dig the shelter and move everything inside?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 03:43:20 am »

Journal of Rhyme the miner, First Entry:

***** those nobles. We told them fortresses could be built outside of mountains. But this swamp is hell on Earth! With some luck we might be able to dig ourselves a hole. And if such hole has a drawbridge as entrance and we close it, we might be able to survive. It's a matter of mining and moving everything before the undead notice us. Until then, let's hope Mask and the Batdwarf can defend us.

From here on, the Journal reads something like "Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium, Batdwarf!"
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 04:24:45 am »

You dorfed me exactly as I wanted to be  :P
An alcoholic without empathy ^^

I'll post a backstory, when I get more time.
error: 'long long long' is too long

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 10:17:59 am »

Oh man, i would love to be dorfed! A male normal-dorf, just so that i have a white, clean sheet of paper that i can fill with insanity . An Engraver by the name of Tobble would be perfect. Looking forward for more!  :D
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 11:28:35 am »

First of all - how can I be compassionate if I have a very bad sense of empathy? :O
Second thing is...
BACKSTORY
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:30:47 am by zlob »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 03:43:40 pm »

Could you please dorf me and add me to the turn list as Shadowhammer, male, armor or weaponsmith?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 11:14:32 pm »

Part II: Granite

Gnorm's Logbook

1st Granite, 300

First things first, we need to set up shop immediately and limit our outdoor exposure. I've ordered the miners to begin to dig the entry-point and the wood-cutters to chop down the nearest trees.

8th Granite, 300

A terrifying cloud of swamp gas was spotted flowing towards us at a disturbing rate.

I've ordered my woodcutters to drop what they're doing and to get inside; I can only hope that it doesn't drift into our small sand-cave.

12th Granite, 300

The cloud has passed over our outpost and none of us were caught in it. I have absolutely no idea what the effects are of that gas on the Dwarven body, but now is not the time for experimentation. Work that involves leaving the outpost-interior can now resume.

14th Granite, 300

I've ordered workshops to be built in our base, which will hopefully help to better barricade ourselves from the dangerous outside world.

On that note, Mask pointed out to me a couple of the louse men that have been roaming the upper part of this sand hill.

I think I know now what the effects of the swamp gas are.

26th Granite, 300

The husks have, fortunately, failed to sense our presence in their swamp, and they have left this site. The two of them only managed to kill one louse man, that is now rotting away on the top of the hill. In order to combat future threats, I have put together a makeshift militia, lead by Mask with Batdorf and Peregarrette as subordinates. I'll not have this outpost fall to lifeless beasts.

And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 11:35:54 pm »

Mask watched the Louse Men from his post on top of the hill.  They seemed living enough, but one could never be too sure.  She had read about these places, lands where nature itself had been corrupted, where death became life.  By the law of the mountainhomes, no dwarf was to set foot in them, on penalty of death.

Beside him, he felt Batdwarf stiffen.  She turned the direction Batdwarf was pointing and froze.  A foul mist was forming, slowly picking up speed as it moved across the ground.  These mists were rumored to have many effects, all of them painful and the anathema of life.
"Gnorm!"
"Yes, Mask? Are the undead here already?"
"Get everyone inside!  Now!  I'll explain then!"
"You heard her!  Everyone, indoors,  now!"
Mask sprinted for the entrance, Batdwarf following close behind.  When they were inside, the heavy wooden doors were slammed shut and locked behind them.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 11:44:57 pm »

When they were inside, the heavy wooden doors were slammed shut and locked behind them.
Doors? Ha! doors! We have no doors yet!

On a more serious note, that was a pretty good summary.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 11:45:13 pm »

From here on, the Journal reads something like "Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium, Batdwarf!"
Ya know, I was going to make some sodium jokes too, but then I thought, "NaH".

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 11:52:38 pm »

Ya know, I was going to make some sodium jokes too, but then I thought, "NaH".
It actually took me until just now to get Rhyme's joke.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 11:53:52 pm »

When they were inside, the heavy wooden doors were slammed shut and locked behind them.
Doors? Ha! doors! We have no doors yet!

On a more serious note, that was a pretty good summary.
WTF!!!!! WE ARE IN AN EVIL BIOME AND YOU DON'T HAVE ANY DOORS!!!!!
and thanks, I try.  And don't take my criticism at face value, I'm sure you know what you're doing, I just always have doors on my fortresses so I find it slightly odd.
Edit: Also, I won't be able to pick up the save until Sunday afternoon or play it until at least Monday, in case you finish earlier.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:31:24 am by 4maskwolf »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2013, 03:29:16 am »

Part III: Slate

Gnorm's Logbook:

5th Slate, 300

We've finally installed a hatch cover to the entrance of our base. Now that we can, in the event of a husk apocolypse, completely seal ourselves away from the outside mire. My nerves have been slightly eased by this increased security.

8th Slate, 300

At last! I knew that there was stone beneath this damp mud and sand! Today our miners struck rock salt, now allowing us to construct with legitimate stone. This shall allow us to further limit our use of the wood that requires us to brave unspeakable dangers to obtain.

Meanwhile I've made further preparations to defend this outpost and have constructed a crossbow for Peregarrette, as she has been quite eager to hunt the living dead. I told her simply to not let herself be killed in the process, and she quickly began to demand wooden ammo to practice with. I fear that it would not be wise to seek fights with these creatures, though.

16th Slate, 300

Four very simple bedrooms were created today, with the remaining three soon on their way. They are hardly luxurious, a simple, doorless burrow with no furniture save for a crude wooden cot, though it certainly beats sleeping in the mud.

Meanwhile, I have grown fearful for the health of our livestock, for there is nothing for them to graze upon within this cave. It was certainly a tough decision, especially considering the state of life outside, but I ordered my men to designate a pasture zone in the swamp. Life in such a place is better than starvation, and I plan to put the beasts out of their misery as soon as we have a proper butcher and shop.

28th Slate, 300

Peregarrette has been growing impatient recently, so I had a training area set up for her near the entrance of the fortress. I decided that if she was willing to fight, she might as well be placed between us and the danger. Already she has taken to practicing with it; I am impressed with her enthusiasm.

Topside, the outer wall surrounding the entrance to the fortress continues its construction. Hopefully, by the end of Spring, we'll have the full wall and roof finished.

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2013, 04:46:18 am »

Oh noes. The husks. They are bugged as hell. Try to kill your husked dwarves with military and the military becomes your enemy. :<

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2013, 06:47:48 am »

-What? We forgot my crossbow?! Holy crap, and how I'm supposed to defend you all againist undead hordes? Kicking and pubching like Batdwarf does? I need my crossbow!

- Okay, wooden one is better than nothing. And what about bolts?

- Fine, finally I have something to shoot with. I'm off to shoot some targets.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15