Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: STASIS - Beautiful isometric adventures in the dark  (Read 4229 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
STASIS - Beautiful isometric adventures in the dark
« on: November 04, 2013, 01:55:55 pm »

Its been a long time since i backed a kickstarter project, yet this one, which has a playable demo, managed to capture my visual sensors.

What i like about this project is that its not trying to reinvent the genre with weird additions and mechanics no one ever asked for, rather, polish it all up and pack it in a mature theme and visuals.

Stasis is a 2D isometric, point-and-click adventure game for PC Windows, set in the distant future on a desolate spacecraft.
John Maracheck must interact and solve puzzles to save his family, while uncovering horrific experimentation, illicit research and an ever deepening mystery.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bischoff/stasis-2d-isometric-scifi-horror-adventure-game

The core game features:

Classic point-and-click adventure game mechanics
Expansive areas to explore - with puzzles that span multiple rooms and entire floors of the Groomlake
A compelling sci-fi story set in a rich futuristic world
Highly detailed rendered 2D isometric graphics
Multiple isometric zoom levels in different areas
Varied environments; from re-purposed warehousing facilities, to sterile medical suites and overgrown hydroponic bays and more...
Mature content for 'mature gamers'
Full motion video cut scenes

you can download the demo here:
http://www.stasisgame.com/getstasis

In case you missed it, here's the kickstarter project page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bischoff/stasis-2d-isometric-scifi-horror-adventure-game
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:59:21 pm by burningpet »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: STASIS - Beautiful isometric adventures in the dark
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:20:53 pm »

I'm starting to get tired of all these good-sounding games being nothing but kickstart pages.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:25:31 pm »

I'm starting to get tired of all these good-sounding games being nothing but kickstart pages.
Well, this one's a demo at least.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:16:50 pm »

(response to fight removed)

I like the look of the game. Reminds me of Alien Infestation a certain old game where you had a small squad of colonists trying to survive on a space station/colony attacked by aliens.

PTW if nothing else. I'll check the demo out sometime.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:43:25 pm by Toady One »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:07:57 pm »

I like the look of the game. Reminds me of Alien Infestation a certain old game where you had a small squad of colonists trying to survive on a space station/colony attacked by aliens.

I remember that game!  (I think...although I think the one I'm recalling was called Enemy Infestation...same game?)  Was a bit shallow, but good fun.  :)

Will keep an eye out if the Kickstarter's successful.  Wary of alphas at this point.  :)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 07:44:41 pm »

(I removed a developing fight.)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 11:54:29 am »

Hurray for Toadination.

I remember that game!  (I think...although I think the one I'm recalling was called Enemy Infestation...same game?)  Was a bit shallow, but good fun.  :)

Will keep an eye out if the Kickstarter's successful.  Wary of alphas at this point.  :)

Yep, that's the one!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 12:06:43 pm »

I've tried the demo, and I'm not a fan of the overly slow pace and clicks getting seemingly randomly registered. Like I click an item and the character randomly decides to leave the room. Very slowly. It's like playing a voice-commanded game, except here the game randomly interprets mouse clicks. Nice pre-rendered graphics, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:11:08 pm by Virtz »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 12:34:29 pm »

Yes. both concerns are definitely an issue. there's also some weird clippings here and there and the puzzles are basically spoon fed.
What i also think might be an issue, is the extreme linearity of the demo. you can't interact with anything that isn't required for the progression except the lore induced computer logs.

They should also make it so that the doors only open if you click on them, its so annoying when you have wait for the opening animations while just trying to walk beside them.

That said, i love the atmosphere the game creates and i haven't withdrawn my pledge even after playing the demo. also, once you heal your self the walking gets a bit faster.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 12:56:04 pm »

less than a week and $7000 to go! really hoping this makes it, this dev might be the most talented game artist on the planet

i mean i sure do wish that wasteland 2 looked as nice as the post-apocalyptic tech demo that this guy whipped up in 2 weeks

or that bioshock infinite looked half as good as:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:58:11 pm by TripJack »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 12:52:10 pm »

Eeh those 2 sites review are not worth the virtual paper they are printed on, I'll wait and see what the good folk here think first.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 09:04:46 am »

Eeh those 2 sites review are not worth the virtual paper they are printed on, I'll wait and see what the good folk here think first.

I'm normally very suspect of them, but I've heard great things about this and know a few people who have played it and loved it. Howeverrr, they both said that it was way too linear and that the whole 'you can die, but only in very scripted places' were downsides.

Still, I'll definitely be getting it next week, as I've heard only good things.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 05:28:12 pm »

As with many media, I generally just sample a bunch of different sources to see if I should buy a game. Big sites, steam reviews, B12, videos, irc, etc.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.