Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Birdman!! y u no make sox!?!?  (Read 4983 times)

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Birdman!! y u no make sox!?!?
« on: November 04, 2013, 07:21:28 pm »

I recently embarked on a high-savagery area, hoping we'd have good hunting/trapping here. Aside from the rare giant hamster and barn owl, every wild animal that has wandered through has been a humanoid flying thing (thrips, grasshopper, parrot, wren, etc). I trapped some but cannot seem to tame them, so I guess I don't have slave labor. Any advice as to what to do with them would be greatly appreciated, because right now they are simply taking up a cage. I could find out if they are magma-proof but I suspect the feathers are made of feather stuff instead of steel, so that will probably be boring.

Urist McEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I like german.
    • View Profile
Re: Birdman!! y u no make sox!?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 07:55:05 pm »

Military training.
Also, if you've got wooden furniture in the dining hall, you have some big issues anyways.
This is Dwarf Fortress, not the Fluffy Wambler Express.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 08:15:40 pm »

Multiracial forts aren't supported yet, so even if they could be tamed, they wouldn't be able to do anything other than eat your food.

If you don't want to sick the military on them, you could always build yourself a zoo by constructing their cages and setting them to be a room, which can contribute to happy thoughts. Or chain them outside the fort and let them be target practice for the next caravan. You could even build a large pit, and dump them down it to repaint the caverns below.

Though if you change the creature variations to prevent animal people from being intelligent you can butcher them.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 08:52:32 pm »

Though if you change the creature variations to prevent animal people from being intelligent you can butcher them.
Doesn't changing an entity require a new world? Maybe not, I'll try it.

I wonder if non-tame creatures will discover hidden thieves/abushes. If so, I have great plans for my new pets.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:05:31 pm »

You could even build a large pit, and dump them down it to repaint the caverns below.

C....Can't they fly?
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 10:10:37 pm »

You could even build a large pit, and dump them down it to repaint the caverns below.

C....Can't they fly?

...No maybe yes.

Just remembered I once tried something similar with bat men. They just flew there until some goblins I pitted crashed into them and they all went plummeting below.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:18:13 pm »

C....Can't they fly?

...No maybe yes.

Just remembered I once tried something similar with bat men. They just flew there until some goblins I pitted crashed into them and they all went plummeting below.

I tried it with cats.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:35:07 pm »

C....Can't they fly?

...No maybe yes.

I tried it with cats.

They're pretty aerodynamic though.

They make great projectiles.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:37:14 pm »

The ones I have sure can fly, yeah. I was shocked they decided to swoop down into my cage trap tunnel. 5 in a row. It's pretty rare I get a surface creature that cannot fly. What's up with that? Makes for poor hunting. Also, oddly enough though I'm on a good-sized river we have yet to catch a single fish anywhere. I wonder if the two are connected. Maybe there was an ancient gull-man civilization that depleted all the waterlife.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 12:07:10 am »

The ones I have sure can fly, yeah. I was shocked they decided to swoop down into my cage trap tunnel. 5 in a row. It's pretty rare I get a surface creature that cannot fly. What's up with that? Makes for poor hunting. Also, oddly enough though I'm on a good-sized river we have yet to catch a single fish anywhere. I wonder if the two are connected. Maybe there was an ancient gull-man civilization that depleted all the waterlife.
I was thinking that it was because they evolved into flying thingy-men.
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 02:09:22 pm »

you probably should destroy them somehow, they may prevent more stuff from spawning. If you're military's not  up to destroying them, build a weapon trap, designate it as a pasture, then pasture the animal ppl on top of it. Try to place it outside and away from traffic if possible, to avoid miasma and catching your dorfs in the choppy-choppy.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 02:31:59 pm »

One of my forts is up to 30 caged gobbos and they certainly don't seem to inhibit the goblin-generating whirligig up in the hills from spitting out more with each caravan...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 03:46:57 pm »

One of my forts is up to 30 caged gobbos and they certainly don't seem to inhibit the goblin-generating whirligig up in the hills from spitting out more with each caravan...
True, but goblins are invaders, not wildlife. Technically.
They are not generated by the same process. Wildlife doesn't respawn until the precedent group have left or is dead.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 05:03:27 pm »

True, but goblins are invaders, not wildlife. Technically.
They are not generated by the same process. Wildlife doesn't respawn until the precedent group have left or is dead.
If only you could sell sentient beings to human caravans, they support slavery and it would make it so much easier to buy all their items... I would have so much human stuff by now...