Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where do I find sponges?  (Read 1480 times)

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where do I find sponges?
« on: November 05, 2013, 06:03:26 am »

I'm looking for sponges to train my weapon skills on. But despite looking in seas and rivers, I can't seem to find any. Only once have I seen a sponge in a river in Fortress Mode, and never since anywhere.

Where are fleshy masses hiding?

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
Re: Where do I find sponges?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:15:41 am »

You can't train weapon skills on sponges. You can only train wrestling. Saying that, they can be found in any ocean, river or lake apparently so good luck finding one!

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:40:14 am »

Why can't I train weapon skills on sponges? Aren't they immune to normal combat?

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 12:20:03 pm »

You only gain weapon skills if the target is concious, and sponges feel pain, so they fall unconscious quite quickly. If you modded them you could though.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 01:29:21 pm »

I see! Thank you.

I've actually found that horseshoe crabs are good for new characters, and once skills are a bit up, they can move on to becoming a necromancer (maybe via vampire) and start wailing on animated corpses via macros.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 01:18:07 pm »

A good way I found was to gear up in complete clothing and go to the sewers of towns. They make great combat experience since there's a lot of useless blowgunners who will train your dodging, shields, and armor usage, and the weapon skills.

razor871

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 02:38:35 am »

I see! Thank you.

I've actually found that horseshoe crabs are good for new characters, and once skills are a bit up, they can move on to becoming a necromancer (maybe via vampire) and start wailing on animated corpses via macros.

Yeah I find that horseshoe crabs are a bit like training dummies to me, I also assume that they're at the bottom of the Dwarf Fortress food chain (am I right?). They're sorta like the Pokemon Bidoof.  :D

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 04:45:12 pm »

I see! Thank you.

Yeah I find that horseshoe crabs are a bit like training dummies to me, I also assume that they're at the bottom of the Dwarf Fortress food chain (am I right?). They're sorta like the Pokemon Bidoof.  :D

They also make great food in a pinch.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 02:40:51 am »

They live in a pineapple under the sea.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 02:54:37 am »

PTW, I see where this is heading.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Urist McRandomplayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 08:27:41 am »

Sewer anthros are also fantastic to train against because they drop wooden shields. Shields don't care what material they are made from in regards to blocking, and since wooden shields are incredibly light, they are the ideal shield. (Note: STRIKING with shields, however, cares about the material; do not shield-bash with a wooden shield.)