Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 71920 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #735 on: June 24, 2022, 11:06:14 am »

I'm a 60s-Star-Trek-only kind of jerk and it's because they made episodes that spoke to real problems that people were having at the time that the show was written.

Have you checked out The Orville?
Just 4 episodes into the third season and they've already tackled racism, suicide, abortion, inappropriate workplace romance, fake news and politics. All while still making time for mysterious space-monsters and holodeck shenanigans.

It's a very strong season so far.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 24, 2022, 11:25:46 am »

I saw a couple of episodes when the first season came out but got sick of the pairing in the middle of it real fast. I should try seeing some more huh :V

(I will say that I texted my friend repeatedly about the orchestral arrangement. I was extremely impressed.)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • Itís shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 26, 2022, 01:34:15 am »

My wife and I decided to watch the Marvel Universe things in timeline order.

Finished off the movies, most of which are pretty good, and Iím glad one of the things that really bothered me in Infinity War was explored and rectified in Endgame, even if Endgame was a bit underwhelming as an end to everything, partly because my favourite character dies.

Anyhow, watched Loki which I had been looking forward to low key, and was hugely disappointed. Bad acting, bad writing, I donít know if there was some bad directing because of how Tom Hiddleston was acting in some scenes or if he really just isnít that good an actor if he has to do more than overact as a villain, though again, with what he had to work withÖ

Not all that enamoured with the first couple of episodes of What If either, but as my wife said, theyíve already told the story, thereís not much point exploring scenarios that didnít happen, even excusing the gaping plot hole in the first episode and the Mary Sue-esque escapades in the second.

WandaVision received a rave review from the BBC, but based on what Iíve seen so far, Iím thinking I may need to lower my expectations.

Also, as a big Star Wars fan, I am getting quite anxious about what this may mean for the quality of those series.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

praise hypnotoad, herald of The Toad

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 27, 2022, 03:20:58 am »

Obi Wan Kenobi has loads of rave reviews, but I wouldn't buy into the hype. It's quite good in places, but not stellar (in the five episodes I've seen).
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 27, 2022, 05:45:30 am »

I haven't seen either Mandalorian or Obi-Wan, but while my impressions of Mandalorian is mostly good by expectations on Obi-Wan can be summed up with these two images:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first one and the budget store pinhead in the second one are supposed to be the same species, as they appear in Episode III and Obi-Wan respectively.

And sure, it's ridiculous to expect blockbuster movie production values for a tv-show. But really, Disney, was all you could muster a make up job that would have looked lazy in Star Trek: TNG, let alone 40 years later?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]