Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 229

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 279538 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2025 on: November 18, 2016, 10:46:42 pm »

Just don't go getting in arguments about stuff that isn't Space pls. Thanks!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: November 18, 2016, 10:58:14 pm »

TrumpxClinton ships are just no
Is that Donald and Hillary, or... well almost any combo of (Malania/Ivanka/Barron/Junior/etc) x (Bill/Chelsea/Buddy/Socks/etc) fulfils the promise of a terrible punchline. Pick any pairing you want...

So, Space, eh...  Roundest astronomical object found? Slushy sea below Sputnick Planitia? Supermoon? Beagle 2 might actually still be working? Peggy Whitson? There'a got to be something spacey to talk about, now that I've crashed the mood...

(Ah, ninjaed about that.)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: November 18, 2016, 11:17:08 pm »

Well, NASA recently (last month, I believe) dumped a large amount of 3D models for public use.  Otherwise, the Chinese set a new national record for longest spaceflight at 32 days aboard Tiangong-2, landing today in Inner Mongolia.  While it's nowhere close to the duration of many Soviet Mir missions, it's a significant proof of their progress.  It'll also be the only manned mission to Tiangong-2 under current Chinese plans; everything else is going to be handled remotely (including tests of a fully-automated resupply/refueling craft). [ref]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: November 19, 2016, 04:35:24 am »

NASA/Eagleworks just released an interesting paper on the EMdrive.

This time in a peer reviewed journal.

http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120

No anomalous thrusts on the null article, no significant indicators of evaporation of test article being the source of thrust.

Looks like some armchair physicists will get a steaming plate of crow.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: November 19, 2016, 10:46:40 am »

I always liked Bohm, but it's disappointing that we're still discussing mN/kW.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: November 19, 2016, 12:15:12 pm »

Before it is scientifically sensible to experiment on improvements to design, it is important to establish empirical factuality of claimed effects.

This test article is not intended to be efficient. Only to demonstrate the effect reliably.
After the test article is replicated and tested in other labs, and subsequent findings are published, THEN research into improved cavity or driving system designs for improved thrust per watt figures are sensible research targets.

Patience grasshopper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: November 19, 2016, 03:12:04 pm »

Still think it's gonna be an FTL neutrino situation. What are really the odds that we actually ran into the hole in physics with a practical macro phenomenon?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: November 19, 2016, 03:15:36 pm »

Still think it's gonna be an FTL neutrino situation. What are really the odds that we actually ran into the hole in physics with a practical macro phenomenon?
as much as explaining and truly understanding an Einstein Rosenberg bridge..

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: November 19, 2016, 07:59:38 pm »

Yeah, the amusing bit here isn't whether it works well, but that it works at all. I guess now we should get actual research into why the hell this thing works.
It's probably extradimensional lag starting to affect the universe simulation.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: November 19, 2016, 08:49:16 pm »

Hmmm, they're trying to explain it as an analog of the Casimir effect, but the specific paper was paywalled.

I was partial to Bohm and de Broglie because of a kooky idea I had about trying to explain the effect of increasing mass as reducing the spread of the temporal portion of a pilot-wave type of interaction, as I was trying to work back from relativity to arrive at quantum mechanics. There are various problems there though, not least of which was the appearance that hidden-variables were disfavored in plausible explanations of reality.

Setting aside my kooky ideas though, assuming the theoretical explanation given is accurate that could be really exciting, like, we might end up discussing ways to arrange components based on this effect to produce a negative energy region without the requirement of handwavium exotic matter, and that leads to wormholes.

What effects do we get if we arrange a ring of these Q-thrusters?
What does reversing the orientation do, if anything?
If this isn't a quirk of the design itself, could we optimize it with metamaterials?
How does the effect vary when changing the size of the Q-thruster?
What is the smallest possible version which exhibits this effect?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: November 19, 2016, 11:35:46 pm »

Yeah, the amusing bit here isn't whether it works well, but that it works at all. I guess now we should get actual research into why the hell this thing works.
It's probably extradimensional lag starting to affect the universe simulation.
Better get ready to say hello to the Kracken.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: November 19, 2016, 11:49:20 pm »

NASA/Eagleworks just released an interesting paper on the EMdrive.

This time in a peer reviewed journal.

http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120

No anomalous thrusts on the null article, no significant indicators of evaporation of test article being the source of thrust.

Looks like some armchair physicists will get a steaming plate of crow.
HOLY CARP

IF THIS IS REALLY REAL

[SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE]
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: November 20, 2016, 12:40:06 am »

Fuck you, recorded history! 2016-timeline is getting our own physics, with blackjack and hookers!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: November 20, 2016, 04:57:00 am »

and it means that when we make a gun that shoots wormholes, it'll have proper recoil

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: November 20, 2016, 07:47:36 am »

The EM drive doesn't allow FTL, if it is a true violation it's a reactionless drive. The benefit of this is that it provides impulse at an extremely high efficiency and could be derived from just having solar collectors instead of carrying any form of propellant. While an utterly amazing, paradigm-shattering development, it would not change lightspeed or even manned flights.

The only benefit in that regard is learning that we have to burn our physics textbooks and start all over again, which might result in discovering different limits to lightspeed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 229