Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 230

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 283966 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2190 on: February 02, 2017, 08:58:11 pm »

"Fortunately, the Space Launch System and Orion will start testing in 2018. This system, with a commercial lander, could quickly place machines and robots on the Moon to begin the cis-lunar economy. With the right presidential guidance, humans could return in short order as well; this time, to stay."

While I do like the commercialization (since it would bring a big push), I don't quite like the fact he's trying to do so by forming a Confederacy of Independent Systems, surely this will bring trouble to the Republic.
Waaaait, cis-lunar... republican... what are they saying there?

"I believe all docking interfaces should be male-to-female connections, as Spacejesus wanted."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: February 03, 2017, 12:52:32 am »

They are saying they will never sanction the attempted docking with the garbage chute.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: February 03, 2017, 12:55:17 am »

"Fortunately, the Space Launch System and Orion will start testing in 2018. This system, with a commercial lander, could quickly place machines and robots on the Moon to begin the cis-lunar economy. With the right presidential guidance, humans could return in short order as well; this time, to stay."

While I do like the commercialization (since it would bring a big push), I don't quite like the fact he's trying to do so by forming a Confederacy of Independent Systems, surely this will bring trouble to the Republic.

"I believe all docking interfaces should be male-to-female connections, as Spacejesus wanted."

a native-lunar economy. ie an economy that was lunar to begin with.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: February 03, 2017, 12:56:38 am »

Save the native lunarians! (giggle)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: February 03, 2017, 01:58:11 am »

a native-lunar economy. ie an economy that was lunar to begin with.
We need to keep the illegal immigrants off our clean virgin soil... well, er, dusty regoliths, spacers go home!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: February 03, 2017, 02:12:45 pm »

It was a starwars joke.
- CIS
- The Republic

You monsters forced me to explain the joke! I hope you are all proud and happy! >:(
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: February 03, 2017, 08:04:34 pm »

It was a starwars joke.
- CIS
- The Republic

You monsters forced me to explain the joke! I hope you are all proud and happy! >:(
I am proud of being so ironic that my ironic misunderstanding forced an explanation, yes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: February 16, 2017, 02:56:49 pm »

Analysis of the data sent by the Dawn probe (which has been orbiting Ceres since spring 2015) has shown that organic materials and liquid water, as well as various salts and ammonia-rich minerals are present on Ceres, the largest planetoid in the planetoid belt. The prescence of water came as a surpirse. Most of it is frozen, slightly below the surface and on the bottom of deep craters, but with near certainty, there also is liquid water in the form of an underground ocean.
Measurements with an infrared-spectograph has shown the prescence of organic compounds, mostly concentrated near the Ernutet crater.

Which organic compounds exactly are present is hard to say, according to Italian planetary researcher Crisitina de Sanctis and her colleagues.
But in their article in Science, they do say that all signs point to the present of carbohydrate chain molecules.
It is unlikely that those molecules, being rather vulnerable, were formed in space and impacted. They must have been formed on Ceres itself.

In a commentary on the article in Science, ESA-researcher Michael Küppers says the prescence of both water and organic molecules seems to indicate that primitive life has formed on Ceres at some point. Which would be very appropriate, with Ceres being the Roman godess of fertility and motherly relationships.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: February 16, 2017, 03:56:05 pm »

Hrm: http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.aaj2305 isn't working for some reason, but it's the same link given in all the stories I can find about it: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ceres-harbors-homegrown-organic-compounds

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: February 16, 2017, 08:02:53 pm »

Abstract

Organic compounds occur in some chondritic meteorites, and their signatures on solar system bodies have been sought for decades. Spectral signatures of organics have not been unambiguously identified on the surfaces of asteroids, whereas they have been detected on cometary nuclei. Data returned by the Visible and InfraRed Mapping Spectrometer on board the Dawn spacecraft show a clear detection of an organic absorption feature at 3.4 micrometers on dwarf planet Ceres. This signature is characteristic of aliphatic organic matter and is mainly localized on a broad region of ~1000 square kilometers close to the ~50-kilometer Ernutet crater. The combined presence on Ceres of ammonia-bearing hydrated minerals, water ice, carbonates, salts, and organic material indicates a very complex chemical environment, suggesting favorable environments to prebiotic chemistry.

Actual article is paywalled.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: February 22, 2017, 01:17:46 pm »

The TRAPPIST telescope has discovered 7 earth-sized planets around a red dwarf only 40 lightyears away, 3 of which are in the sweet spot.
https://youtu.be/QSFcQFoHXiU

How long would it take an unmanned probe with current propulsion technology (nuclear pulse included for all I care) to accelerate to near lightspeed? Could we get a probe there within 100 years?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: February 22, 2017, 01:24:29 pm »

No, unfortunately.

The fastest man made object is the Juno prone, which is going something like .0001 c, orders of magnitude less than we'd need for that time frame.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:27:13 pm by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: February 22, 2017, 01:26:42 pm »

The Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/feb/22/thrilling-discovery-of-seven-earth-sized-planets-discovered-orbiting-trappist-1-star

The thing though is that they'd likely be tidally locked, which would make things harsher for life, but certainly not impossible. However, given that the planets orbit so closely together, I wonder if the perturbations would be enough to keep them rotating.

Also, is that star a known flare star? Red dwarf stars are notorious for throwing massive flares.

No, unfortunately.

Yeah, 100 years is the estimated for the Alpha Centauri system which is around 4 light years away, this one is 39-40 light years away.

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRAPPIST-1 The star is apparently a very young star, only about 500 million years old, so, if there IS life on there, the most we could expect to find is something resembling the primitive life forms that evolved on early Earth. There's evidence that life started extremely quickly, so, chances are good we could find something there, given the right conditions.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:33:21 pm by smjjames »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: February 22, 2017, 01:34:47 pm »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: February 22, 2017, 01:38:43 pm »

Nemesis?

The thing is 39-40 light years away and if it WERE to pass close by the sun, it wouldn't for millions of years.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 230