Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 229

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 279495 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2490 on: November 23, 2017, 01:58:01 am »

It'd probably be funny to name it that, but nope, it's name is basically Hawaiian for 'first visitor from the stars' (that we've recorded that is). Literal translation though is 'a messenger from afar arriving first'. https://www.axios.com/the-first-asteroid-seen-from-outside-earths-solar-system-takes-bizarre-shape-2511132598.html

It's also got this long spindle shape, which is pretty unusual for an asteroid. The image is an artist conception of it.
Clicked expecting dick, got cigar. Your move, Freud.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: November 23, 2017, 02:13:13 am »

It'd probably be funny to name it that, but nope, it's name is basically Hawaiian for 'first visitor from the stars' (that we've recorded that is). Literal translation though is 'a messenger from afar arriving first'. https://www.axios.com/the-first-asteroid-seen-from-outside-earths-solar-system-takes-bizarre-shape-2511132598.html

It's also got this long spindle shape, which is pretty unusual for an asteroid. The image is an artist conception of it.
Clicked expecting dick, got cigar. Your move, Freud.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: November 23, 2017, 08:08:58 am »

Lol, not sure how you associated dick shaped with spindle shaped.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: November 23, 2017, 12:46:02 pm »

I for one, don't really want to know.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: November 23, 2017, 07:05:46 pm »

Probably too much of Cracked.com's humorous "artist's conceptions". I kind of skimmed over the spindle part, focusing on "bizarre shape" in the link, instead. Article calls it a cigar.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:07:28 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: November 23, 2017, 07:15:38 pm »

I called it spindle rather than cigar shaped as it’s more pointy on the ends, at least that’s the artists conception of it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: November 23, 2017, 07:31:10 pm »

Hey, could be worse than a spindle, you could be hung like a squirrel... the whole squirrel, gray fur and all... I think the tail is what scares girls off, personally.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: November 24, 2017, 08:07:59 am »

Quote from: Monica Lewinsky
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: November 28, 2017, 01:48:23 pm »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: November 28, 2017, 02:21:45 pm »

I will be both sad and highly amused when that test sattelite collides with space debris before it's mission can begin
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: January 08, 2018, 10:21:38 pm »

*casts spell of minor necro*

SpaceX may have failed to get an expensive government sat into orbit. Ouch, this is gonna hurt their reputation for a while. At least until they can find out what went wrong.

It's light on details due to it being a classified mission and the main source being WSJ.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: January 09, 2018, 01:46:26 am »

Hopefully for SpaceX, it's a Polyus scenario and not a Vanguard.  That is, hopefully the fault is in the payload rather than the launch platform. 

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: January 09, 2018, 02:14:17 pm »

Spacex claims their rocket performed normally. The rumored problem was either payload or payload adapter related. Both of which were provided by Northrop Grumman.

Also minor speculation it was all a ruse and it's working as a stealth craft.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: January 09, 2018, 02:17:43 pm »

Why would they risk damage to their reputation by claiming it was destroyed when it wasn't? Makes no sense to me.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: January 09, 2018, 02:33:04 pm »

Because it is impossible to put something in orbit without everyone knowing.
Both because there aren't that many people that put things in orbit and because anyone can look up.
The current mehod for stealth spacecraft is to send it to orbit and blow it up, scratch it off publicly as an accident and have the payload be obscured from view by the explosion debris.

That is the current consensus, and there are some "failures" that are suspected to be working currently.
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 229