Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 229

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 279614 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #3000 on: June 26, 2020, 06:59:26 pm »

--snip--
I giggled.
I mean, with a properly taught horse and good saddle it's literally just "stay on top, don't kick the sides unexpectedly, pull a bit on one side or the other to go that way, both to slow entirely" and gloves+mask would work for costumes.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: June 27, 2020, 07:46:20 pm »

So, I was wondering what it should be called. British 'counterpart' to Galileo, so something like Newton?

Sinclair on the notion that it will likely succeed and then fail spectacularly within a few years?

IMBanks because chances are it will become a well known (science) fiction? 
Or following that thought, since it is vaguely sort of a spaceship - Totally Not Going To Fail, This Time.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: June 28, 2020, 12:58:28 am »

Banks is not nearly widely known enough considering how awesome the universe he painted is, it's a damn shame that more people probably learned of the Culture due to the references on SpaceX barge names than due to the books themselves.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: July 05, 2020, 06:08:29 am »

Electron 13: Mahia, we have a problem...

(Well, I'm not triskaidekaphobic, but it had to be commented on. And I'm sure the "scanning military radars" experiment had no-one hoping it would fail, either.)

edit for two typos, would you believe... And another because of a typo in this add-on text
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 06:55:35 am by Starver »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: July 11, 2020, 08:10:13 pm »

Have you seen the comet? The end* is nigh.

*of its best visibility

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: July 11, 2020, 08:18:26 pm »

For a moment I read the title of this thread on the reply list as Spice Thread.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: July 11, 2020, 08:33:13 pm »

Hey, baby. Are you Kwisatz Haderach? 'Cause I wanna spice up your life.
Hey, baby. You must be a thumper, 'cause I have a wormsign in my pants.
Hey, baby. You're so hot, I wouldn't enter you without a stillsuit.
Hey, baby. Are you a Bene Gesserit? 'Cause I wanna drug you up and have an orgy if you survive.
Hey, baby. Do you have a Maker Hook? 'Cause you might not be able to handle my worm without it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: July 23, 2020, 07:58:26 am »

With two Mars missions now just set off, in the last few days, I thought I'd bump the thread before we know if the third due one actually goes ahead with Perserverence+Inginuity atop, after its delays, next week.

Or are we just a little bored of going to Mars? Even with a helicopter?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: July 23, 2020, 12:53:39 pm »

Here's a paper discussing the possibility of blowing up the sun with a targeted nuclear bomb in order to ? ? ? because ? ? ?

I'm no expert in blowing up the sun, but it seems legit?  Using the same principal as a hydrogen bomb to create the temperature and pressure needed for runaway fusion, which would propagate that temperature and pressure through the rest of the sun.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 12:58:10 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: July 23, 2020, 02:05:08 pm »

I'm no expert in blowing up the sun.
Your name would indicate otherwise, or you are more of a expert on sea stuff.

Anyway, luckily I am, in fact the last time I blew it up was so good it hasn't finished blowing up and it think it will keep going for a few billion years more.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: July 23, 2020, 02:29:27 pm »

Its a paper about awareness if Dr Stangelove level mad science, and the pyrrhic behavior of sick and or dying tyrants.

The intent is to explain how such a scenario can occur so as to systemically forbid it from happening.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: July 23, 2020, 02:49:54 pm »

I stoped reading after the mad dictator in their final age migth need thousands of people to pull it off and take humanity wih him..... Not counting the magical delivery system to protect something as relatively delicated as an hydrogen bomb from the sun itself, among a million things else.

Not because is not amusing but because Im working. Good stuff for later.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: July 23, 2020, 02:51:13 pm »

I only skimmed the paper, but it mentions needing the warhead to survive as much as 10 minutes inside of the sun's interior, which may well be impossible.  I don't know if any kind of real technology would ever permit that.

I'm also a bit skeptical that a 5-10 megaton bomb could actually do what they're suggesting, since it seems like the kinds of energy levels we'd see in nature hitting stars, and stars don't seem to explode except by known mechanisms.  I guess stellar collisions probably don't normally make it so deep into the star.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: July 23, 2020, 03:21:40 pm »

Huh, I always figured that if the sun ever started to cool off, causing Earth to freeze, you'd just send a group of mentally unstable people to suicide-bomb the sun with a nuclear bomb to make Earth warm again. Of course, the leader of these suicide bombers will need to stare at the sun the entire trip.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: July 23, 2020, 03:47:38 pm »

Huh, I always figured that if the sun ever started to cool off, causing Earth to freeze, you'd just send a group of mentally unstable people to suicide-bomb the sun with a nuclear bomb to make Earth warm again. Of course, the leader of these suicide bombers will need to stare at the sun the entire trip.
That doesn't sound right. You'd need at least two such missions, in case the first one went wrong and decided to just sit in the Sun for a long time.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 229