Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 230

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 284684 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #3240 on: December 21, 2021, 04:59:47 pm »

Latest JWST launch estimate: 12:20 (UTC) 25/Dec.

Closer and closer, but still simultaneously continuing the observed trend of being later and later...

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: December 21, 2021, 05:47:20 pm »

Unless the mission controller is Zeno, they'll run out of possible steps in delaying sooner or lkater
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: December 22, 2021, 01:00:57 am »

I wonder what the expected odds are that the rocket will fail catastrophically during launch.  A quick googling implies it's about 5% in general, but that also seems to be related to the success rate of SpaceX so I'm not sure if it's a global trend or one otherwise applicable to whatever launch vehicle they're planning to use.

I'd be absolutely terrified to be part of this mission with a 5% failure possibility.  As much as I'm sure they could build a second telescope a lot cheaper than the first one due to the nonrecurring engineering costs, I can't envision they'd get the budget for it at this point.

Even as a lay enthusiast, it would be pretty terrible.  I don't expect that the JWST will be totally revolutionary in what it discovers, but I'm hopeful it will help settle a number of open questions about the old universe that will probably remain open questions for a long time if it blows up or fails once it's in space.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: December 22, 2021, 02:21:00 am »

One crit failure away from kaboom isn't particularly comforting, no. Probably pretty decent in some sense or another, but anyone that's spent much time gaming with anything involving probability is likely just looking at that number and wincing at memories of xcom or fire emblem or anything using a d20. It's a distorted impression due to how human memory functions, but my oh my does knowing that do remarkably little for the metaphorical stomach butterflies.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: December 22, 2021, 08:21:56 am »

It's important to note that with rocket failures it's always special-cause failure, not random failure, so saying things like "5% chance of failure" doesn't mean what most people think it means.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: December 23, 2021, 07:25:24 am »

To the average Baal it means 5 out of 100 rockets will light the night sky.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: December 24, 2021, 07:42:16 am »

(Just got the "24 hours before launch" alert for JWST. Finger's crossed, and remind me to check my super-secret cloaked orbital weapons platform isn't in the way the news tomorrow...)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: December 25, 2021, 11:20:33 am »

JWST launch went fine. Just one month before we find out whether the damn thing works for sure.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3248 on: December 29, 2021, 10:53:42 pm »

Screaming the entire time.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: December 30, 2021, 07:31:59 pm »

First time watching a launch? Don't worry, a certain amount of fire and noise is totally normal.  ;)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: December 31, 2021, 12:26:48 pm »

China has filed a formal complaint with the US about Elon Musk, claiming his space launches endanger chinese sattelites.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: December 31, 2021, 01:46:16 pm »

China has filed a formal complaint with the US about Elon Musk, claiming his space launches endanger chinese sattelites.
Did not they just made a live anti-satellite weapon test not long ago? They can go and eat a dick.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 01:48:58 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: December 31, 2021, 05:29:47 pm »

Did not they just made a live anti-satellite weapon test not long ago? They can go and eat a dick.
No, that was Russia.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: December 31, 2021, 05:56:24 pm »

No, that was Russia.
Russia did it (most recently) in November this year. India in March 2019.

China definitely did in 2007, but demonstrated something in Feb 2018 (a follow-up to a 2013 episode) that might have ASAT capabilities to hit things in geostationary orbit. Hard to know of true intentions, though.

The US last notably (SFAIK!) did it in 2008, and are probably more than thoroughly equipped in the event of necessity.

Israel is thought to have tested the equipment capable of doing it, too. Not yet to full ASAT testing levels, but some experts think that's just because they know they can if they want to, whether that's with locally developed and/or US-fed knowhow.

On Musk, his excuse is that "space is big" (he didn't quite go for the full H2G2 quote... we know he listened to that show, and was inspired by it, when young). Though I guess we won't know how right he is until it becomes obvious how much stuff we can't cram into orbit.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: January 04, 2022, 10:09:17 pm »

So far, the deployment of the JWST is going as smoothly as can be hoped for!

So, so very excited to see what sort of pictures we'll be able to get way out at the Lagrange point.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 230