Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 230

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 284354 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #480 on: December 18, 2014, 02:21:08 pm »

So, barring further rescheduling, the next SpaceX flight to the ISS will be tomorrow (Friday) at around 1:22PM EST.
http://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
And the spacex site now confirms that they will in fact be trying to land the first stage back on a platform/drone ship in the ocean: http://www.spacex.com/news/2014/12/16/x-marks-spot-falcon-9-attempts-ocean-platform-landing

As long as things go well enough to hit the target (or at least get close), we should get pretty good video of that, as I would imagine the ship has a bunch of cameras pointed in all directions for data collection.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 18, 2014, 02:38:00 pm »

Oh my, i'd forgotten about this one, which is good since I didn't have to wait for it. Should be interesting.
Magma is overrated.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 19, 2014, 12:01:30 pm »

Looks like today's SpaceX launch is being postponed til January: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/545965826054963200

On that launch schedule link from my previous post, it now says Jan 6, so probably around that.

Edit: Reason why now posted: http://www.spacex.com/press/2014/12/19/crs-5-launch-update
SpaceX also conducted a static fire test on December 17 and while the test accomplished nearly all goals, it did not run the full duration.
So basically, they did a test burn a couple days ago, it shut down early for some reason, so they turned the launch into another static fire test (which operated successfully), opting to do the actual launch after reviewing the data.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:02:27 pm by alway »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 23, 2014, 02:17:32 pm »

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 23, 2014, 02:28:51 pm »

It's nice to see some Russian space stuff that's not just left-over Soviet-era rocket. It's supposed to be cheaper than the Proton too, I wonder how it compare to the Falcon, cost-wise.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 24, 2014, 03:14:26 pm »

From what I can tell, the Protons are something like $100m. So it probably is somewhat close, as the Falcon launches are currently around $61m today, with Falcon Heavy launches expected for $85m. The A5 seems to have a payload capacity right in the middle of those two, so if it's around $70m-$80m it would currently compete pretty well. Similarly, their PPTS would likely be a competitor for the human rated version of the Dragon capsule when those start going up.

Of course, the big thing to watch on SpaceX launch costs is whether they can pull off re-usability of a significant portion of the rocket. Currently, they're cheap, but well within the realm of plausible competition with other well managed, similarly spec'd rockets. If SpaceX can pull off reusing some of the expensive bits, the cost could go well below that of similar launch vehicles.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:21:31 pm by alway »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 29, 2014, 03:43:22 pm »

ESA is seriously considering backing Skylon.

Link

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #487 on: December 29, 2014, 04:25:06 pm »

IIRC, the biggest problem Skylon is currently facing is making those pre-coolers for the engines. Once those get built and tested, the flight ceiling is the limit.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 29, 2014, 04:45:20 pm »

They made those actually, i'm pretty sure (or a test prototype) to me the biggest problem is the whole everything else, pre coolers does not a rocket make....
This is great news though.

From what I can tell, the Protons are something like $100m. So it probably is somewhat close, as the Falcon launches are currently around $61m today, with Falcon Heavy launches expected for $85m. The A5 seems to have a payload capacity right in the middle of those two, so if it's around $70m-$80m it would currently compete pretty well. Similarly, their PPTS would likely be a competitor for the human rated version of the Dragon capsule when those start going up.

Of course, the big thing to watch on SpaceX launch costs is whether they can pull off re-usability of a significant portion of the rocket. Currently, they're cheap, but well within the realm of plausible competition with other well managed, similarly spec'd rockets. If SpaceX can pull off reusing some of the expensive bits, the cost could go well below that of similar launch vehicles.
If the cost of two extra first stages is $12 million, that's the most you could expect to save from a normal falcon 9 then, in fact probably less as you'd still need to clean/refurbish and reful the recovered stage, and the stage would still probably have a limited number of flights. There's probably also going to be issues recovering the core stage from falcon 9 Heavies also as i imagine that they will be going higher.
Magma is overrated.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 29, 2014, 04:50:30 pm »

And, IIRC, SpaceX looses like 30% payload capacity to make their system reuseable.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 07, 2015, 10:51:13 pm »

More interesting stuff from the Curiosity rover: http://www.space.com/28194-mars-rover-curiosity-photos-ancient-life.html
A careful study of images taken by the NASA rover Curiosity has revealed intriguing similarities between ancient sedimentary rocks on Mars and structures shaped by microbes on Earth. The findings suggest, but do not prove, that life may have existed earlier on the Red Planet.
On Earth, carpet-like colonies of microbes trap and rearrange sediments in shallow bodies of water such as lakes and coastal areas, forming distinctive features that fossilize over time.
The distribution patterns of the microbial structures on Earth vary depending on where they are found. Different types of structures are found together in different types of environments. For instance, microbial mats that grow in rivers will create a different set of associations than those that grow in seasonally flooded environments.

The patterns found in the Gillespie Lake outcrop are consistent with the microbial structures found in similar environments on Earth.

What’s more, the terrestrial structures change in a specific way over time. As the microbial mats form, grow, dry up, crack and re-grow, specific structures become associated with them. Here again, Noffke found that the distribution pattern in Martian rocks correspond with microbial structures on Earth that have changed over time. Taken together, these clues strengthen her argument beyond simply pointing out the similarities in shape.
"But if the Martian structures aren’t of biological origin," Noffke says, "then the similarities in morphology, but also in distribution patterns with regards to MISS on Earth would be an extraordinary coincidence."

And the original paper, for those interested in the details and diagrams and such: http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/ast.2014.1218

Inconclusive, certainly, but potentially quite an interesting find. Especially since, as it mentions, similar formations are some of the oldest known fossil evidence of life on earth (as they are essentially just large colonies formed from micro-organisms, and so don't require the complexities of multicellular evolution), and those fossils date to a similar time period to that in which Gale Crater was a lake.

And in SpaceX news, their big launch + landing has been postponed until Saturday, at 4:47 EST. A potential issue with an actuator on the second stage thrust vectoring system came up and needed investigating.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:56:13 pm by alway »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 07, 2015, 11:02:27 pm »

Well, holy shit. Inconclusive indeed but fairly strong evidence.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 10, 2015, 05:32:23 am »

Well, the SpaceX launch is done, with mixed results. Payload made it up just fine; first stage hit the landing barge hard. So they've mostly got it down; they successfully hit the target, albeit faster than they would have liked.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/553855109114101760
"Rocket made it to drone spaceport ship, but landed hard. Close, but no cigar this time. Bodes well for the future tho."
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/553857574005915648
"Didn't get good landing/impact video. Pitch dark and foggy. Will piece it together from telemetry and ... actual pieces."

Webstream, from just before launch: http://youtu.be/p7x-SumbynI?t=19m45s
Music from Kerbal Space Program at 3:40 in the webstream. :v
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:34:08 am by alway »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 10, 2015, 06:17:55 am »

Their boat is hardly damaged, so that's good.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 10, 2015, 05:23:48 pm »

So, according to the twitter thingy, the rocket ran out of hydraulic fluid just before landing.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 230