Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 229

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 278471 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2070 on: November 21, 2016, 08:54:04 pm »

Which is you riding on the high horse.

Or possibly shouting down from your white tower.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: November 21, 2016, 08:59:59 pm »

I think you've never calculated a gradient, is your problem.

Which is you riding on the high horse.

Or possibly shouting down from your white tower.
Don't let this devolve into insults, guys. If you are in an argument about science stuff, all you have to do is simplify your claims into bullet points and find links to back up each one, right?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: November 21, 2016, 09:04:53 pm »

No. Pilazzo likes to demand absolute accuracy from others, while offering analogies himself.

He calls down from the tower, I call him on it. I make bad analogies, he calls me on it.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2073 on: November 21, 2016, 10:43:36 pm »

That is not how Science works, people! Now be nice or I'll release the neurotoxin. :P
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: November 21, 2016, 10:46:31 pm »

I always wondered which one she used..  Sarin? Phosgene? Botulinum?

Guess we will never know.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: November 21, 2016, 11:17:59 pm »

GLaDOSinium, I think. Very fast acting.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: November 22, 2016, 12:08:22 am »

I always wondered which one she used..  Sarin? Phosgene? Botulinum?

Guess we will never know.
The Neurotoxin she released with the Neurotoxin emitters was a Deadly Neurotoxin, that's all you need to know.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: November 22, 2016, 09:02:44 am »

Clearly it's caffeine.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2078 on: November 22, 2016, 09:21:31 am »

It is pure SCIENCE.

"Yes, mate. You're in space."
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: November 23, 2016, 09:46:53 am »

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/11/nasas-em-drive-still-a-wtf-thruster/

A nicely put together writeup. One of many to come, I presume.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: November 23, 2016, 04:18:12 pm »

I admit that I too am disheartened by the lack of details in the paper.

1) where are the structural plans for the test article, as even the placement of one of the rivets in the copper could upset an experiment with thrust measurements this low? How can other labs seriously attempt replication without them?

2) I understand that academic theft is a thing, but seriously-- yes, please publish the q-thruster excitation predictive model. The model itself can be strongly tested against any number of test articles besides ones assumed to be propelled by unicorn farts. (A pair of metal plates to measure changes in cassimir effect pressure near an excited test item to see if the proposed mechanism actually has an impact being a good one, IMO.) It is essential to vet the model before trusting any predictions it may make, and keeping it secret is not how you do science. If your model is mature enough to make predictions for experiments, it is mature enough for peer review. Peer review gives you free of charge, improvements and enhancements to your model, assuming it works, of course.

3) If you want to use peer review correctly, the above two things need to be provided so that the experiment can be independently replicated and either verified or refuted.  This is especially true when no proven model for action is provided. The purpose of peer review is for other scientists to verify your findings through independent experiment. Give the people what they need to do that. The quality of your paper is insufficient in that regard.

Those genuine criticisms aside, the article is too dismissive, and stinks of bias.  One of the main objections to the paper is that the authors did not give a definite mechanism for action, even though the opening of the paper asserts that they do not have one, and do not know, and can only speculate-- which is why they focus on the thrust produced instead. That's a bullshit cheap shot, and I dont appreciate it, nor will I give it a free pass.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: November 24, 2016, 08:14:37 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/nov/24/mars-lander-smashed-into-ground-at-540kmh-after-misjudging-its-altitude

Not sure why you'd have a maximum altitude setting, or at least put the maximum reading above where it might start being useful. Though it doesn't really say what exactly the problem was, other than going negative which is indicative of integer overflow I think. It also seems like they could have tested it on Earth or done a simulated test, but then, ESA doesn't have NASA's budget.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: November 24, 2016, 08:35:22 pm »

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/11/nasas-em-drive-still-a-wtf-thruster/

A nicely put together writeup. One of many to come, I presume.
Are these things faith-based? As in "clap if you believe, and the engine will work"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: November 24, 2016, 08:50:08 pm »

What's next, ooh, can we get MSH to predict that we'll discover how to run a drive on love?

I could totally dig becoming a Shrike.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: November 24, 2016, 09:01:26 pm »

People in love do awful things, I'd rather the drive run on intolerance for bullshit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 229