Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 229

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 279484 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2085 on: November 24, 2016, 09:09:21 pm »

You don't know the power of the Light Side
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: November 24, 2016, 09:50:01 pm »

People in love do awful things, I'd rather the drive run on intolerance for bullshit.
Ah, the Shrike's just a big cuddle-bug, honest.  It's just also made out of sharp blades, razorwire, and long thorns.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: November 24, 2016, 09:51:52 pm »

I could totally dig becoming a Shrike.
Can I sig this?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: November 24, 2016, 09:52:59 pm »

I could totally dig becoming a Shrike.
Can I sig this?
Hah, yup.
People in love do awful things, I'd rather the drive run on intolerance for bullshit.
You doubt the Void which Binds?

Get him, Kassad.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: December 04, 2016, 11:15:51 pm »

So, um, the EM drive could in fact, be a dark matter drive?? http://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2016/11/30/could-dark-matter-be-powering-the-emdrive/#9b4eab11e539

It's a pretty wild idea, though I have no idea how they'd get any meaningful thrust out of it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: December 05, 2016, 12:08:45 am »

It works by torturing the souls of the dark matter people.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: December 05, 2016, 12:12:10 am »

Ah, so we're no longer going with the working theory that the EM drive functions by draining rotational momentum from Isaac Newton's grave and translating it to linear momentum?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: December 05, 2016, 12:15:35 am »

Given that the thrust of that is so miniscule, less than an ion drive even, it's hard to see how they could scale it up or give meaningful thrust. That depends on figuring out how the heck it works in the first place though.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: December 05, 2016, 12:19:48 am »

To begin with, they could build a proper resonance cavity. The one they tested is built out of bolted-together scrap and literally made at someone's kitchen table. A lab-grade resonance cavity is carved out of a solid block of metal by a CNC machine to Space Shuttle tolerances.

Considering the EM Drive's effect seems to be based upon resonance somehow, making a proper cavity would increase the thrust.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: December 05, 2016, 07:34:30 am »

So, um, the EM drive could in fact, be a dark matter drive?? http://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2016/11/30/could-dark-matter-be-powering-the-emdrive/#9b4eab11e539

It's a pretty wild idea, though I have no idea how they'd get any meaningful thrust out of it.
I can't see forbes since they keep popping up their annoying little adblock nanny thing so I forbid every bit of the site pre-emptively, but I'm guessing if the power levels involved and a resonance chamber could accidentally provide evidence of dark matter, then professional scientists who actually do this sort of stuff for a living would probably have deliberately tried to do just that sort of experiment, and to date I haven't seen any blurbs about "dark matter detected directly" or anything alone those lines.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: December 05, 2016, 10:54:28 am »

On the topic of dark matter being directly detected an MD the concept of dark matter drive:
Weren't we just talking about the paper on how dark matter is not per se a detectable atom, but rather a glue like force that holds everything together? Therefore, one could say this is a 'gravity drive', but once again that is mere labeling speculation. If it DOES work off dark matter, and they actually built an up to par EM drive, wouldn't it be working based off gravity alone? Since electromagnetism is what can be seen not only on our planet but as well as the rest of the universe, wouldn't my above conjecture make sense? Or no?

Also, the mere fact that they assembled it at a workshop table and it still produces thrust is a surprising factors considering it still gave thrust.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: December 05, 2016, 11:42:40 am »

Hmmm, don't remember the gluematter thing. A force carrier with enough mass to produce the visual distortion seen in galaxy clusters would probably need a force to carry, and the more massive bosons are pretty impressive when you get them unbound, nuclear explosions and whatnot.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: December 05, 2016, 03:40:22 pm »

Last thing I heard, the NASA paper was bad, horrible methodology, just terrible, absolutely worthless. Sad!

Except in scientist speak instead of trump speak.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: December 05, 2016, 04:35:33 pm »

The NASA paper examining the methodology of the EM Drive paper was itself lacking in methodology?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: December 06, 2016, 02:44:25 am »

I also saw an (the same probably) article saying that, I think it was on one of those gizmodo but for science type sites.
Magma is overrated.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 229