Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 229

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 279488 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2115 on: December 08, 2016, 03:27:56 pm »

Oh Armok no, not EU. Please tell me...

...just to make sure, is this electrical or magnetic? The former is utterly nonsensical (neutral charges for all known macroscopic naturally-occuring celestial bodies), the latter is at least hypothetically possible.

Also, the Earth formed in about 10-100 million years. It's been roughly 4.4 billion years since, and that has nothing to do with the ETA of Andromeda. (Also, no stars will actually collide; there'll just be a bunch of stars strewn about, and then life goes on and the galaxies go their own way, somewhat slower than before.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: December 08, 2016, 03:51:26 pm »

Oh Armok no, not EU. Please tell me...
yup, same diagnosis here...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: December 08, 2016, 04:03:47 pm »

WTF.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: December 08, 2016, 04:21:08 pm »

What's "EU"?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2119 on: December 08, 2016, 04:22:04 pm »

The space age is ending.

John Glenn died.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: December 08, 2016, 04:24:16 pm »

What's "EU"?
It's a collection of stars on a flat plane that may or may not collide with each other in the future, depending on some farmer's Unified Fields. There's also multiple pulling strings theories.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: December 08, 2016, 04:31:16 pm »

What's "EU"?

Expanded Universe. It was non-canon before, but it's especially non-canon now that Disney has bought the rights to the universe.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: December 08, 2016, 04:35:37 pm »

What's "EU"?
Erupted Unguents. It's a really horrible gastrointestinal STI, don't google it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: December 08, 2016, 04:39:27 pm »

It's electric universe. Look up Thunderbolts Project. Or don't - might give you a brain aneurysm, depending on how well you paid attention during high school physics classes.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:59:28 pm by Il Palazzo »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: December 08, 2016, 05:00:53 pm »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: December 08, 2016, 05:28:10 pm »

Godspeed John Glenn. Godspeed.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: December 08, 2016, 05:57:24 pm »

RIP John Glenn.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: December 08, 2016, 08:12:56 pm »

Great, first I come in here to make sure folks had heard the sad news about Glenn, then I see EU being discussed and I'm reminded of how goddamn frustrating it was encountering a nest of anti-relativist EU believers.

No, x2yzh9, there is nothing to learn there except how not to propose a hypothesis or how to improperly claim falsification of a theoretical framework. As mentioned above, the insanity of treating electromagnetism as though it had lagrange orbits like gravity does is painful.

Euler-Lagrange points are due to gravity operating on systems which can be closely approximated as three-body systems.

EM use of the term Lagrangian relates to something else, which is full of really pretty mathematics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_(field_theory) and the world would be a much better place if EU morons spent more time actually studying rather than sitting around getting high by zapping their parietal lobe with a cattle prod or something else which would explain the stupidity that emerges from those beliefs.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:14:46 pm by Max™ »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: December 08, 2016, 08:28:30 pm »

and the world would be a much better place if EU morons spent more time actually studying rather than sitting around getting high by zapping their parietal lobe with a cattle prod or something else which would explain the stupidity that emerges from those beliefs.
After looking up what the parietal lobe does and functions I am extremely angry(not at anyone here). Who in gods Quintilianth dimension thought that could possibly be a good idea?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: December 08, 2016, 08:42:30 pm »

I'm not saying they do that... at least I'm not sure they do it, it was just an example of something stupid that might get across how bad the arguments used by EU supporters are, and hinting that brain damage would be a more comforting explanation than the thought that these people actually believe that nonsense.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 229