Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 229

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 279527 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2895 on: December 21, 2018, 08:23:32 am »

Your own experience of corporality isn't (the possibility of a separate soul, aside, maybe) privileged to experience these things specially.

Spaghettification may act along your length(/breadth/thickness, or whatever attitude you go into the effect) equally, rather than like (say) being strung between horses by rope and pulled apart by your extremities, but I don't know if that'd be worse.

The spreading of feeling (at least unless feeling can't properly reach your head, even) of stress across your entire body, or perhaps like Socrates and his hemlock, the effect working up slowly up from the feet if you're subjecting yourself to a 'small' black hole with a more severe build up of gradient (which are the ones you aren't going to 'survive' entry to) might be less painful than concentrated tugs in specific places. And with the atoms of the stress-sensing neurones being tugged as much as the body parts they are supposed to be sensing the stress of (by one interpretation), I'm not sure it'd be felt anything like the same.

And, except on the edge of a particularly sharp gradient (sharpness and inexorableness aside) you won't experience your body experiencing slowed time and drawn out whatever-effect-you'll-suffer. You may be seen to be slowly damaged, whether or not the last thing seen of you is a greasy smear hovering just outside the event horizon, red-shifting into eternity (or lifetime of that horizon), but from your perspective it happens as quickly enough.

In fact, with feet-first entry, I'd imagine even the most sophisticated of g-suits would be unable to prevent your blood pooling in your feet, reducing the oxygen to your brain and you lose consciousness, long before the structural integrity of your body is exceeded. Head-first, the (normally gravity-assisted movement of blood away from your brain would be impeded, with obvious repercussions. Laid flatwise, as on a classic rocket blast-off/re-entry couch, you might last longer until the pooling towards your back gives the same effect. Aside from/additionally to any asphyxiation effects due to pressures on lungs, larynx, etc.

Or so it seems to me. They do say that a huge black hole is the one you want to fall into, with the gravity gradient not distorting quite so tightly around it, but even then getting to the point where you're part in the event horizon is going to be beyond your possible experience.

Not pain, at that level, other than from mundane acretion-disc collisions, extreme radiation (other likely 'mundane' killers, unless you choose a hole that is not still digesting other feedstuffs), etc. But it'd be like that Star Trek TNG episode where Picard is stuck in a pocket-universe 'copy' of rapidly decreasing size (anything beyond the rapidly approaching limit of the observable universe does not exist, has never existed!) and when the ship's computer is asked to explained the depressurisation of Ten Forward it explains that there is a 'design flaw' of the ship having had no forward bulkhead.

What you might/could experience once you're entirely beyond the EH, assuming you were capable of experiencing it...  that's a question and a half. It'd be beyond anything seen with Dave Bowman (2001), Dr Ellie Arroway (Contact), even Jack Harkness (Doctor Who/Utopia) was seen to see. And if there's any accuracy in the internals of The Black Hole (1979), Event Horizon (1997) or Interstellar (2014) I'd be surprised (though the externals of the latter are likely to be not too Hollywoodised after consultation with Kip Thorne.

No, I probably wouldn't choose to fall into a black hole, but long before that opportunity I'd expect some other form of mortality to claim me, anyway, even if it's just old age. I aint going to worry too much about it until it happens.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: December 22, 2018, 05:42:08 am »

Yeah nah, short story is getting killed by getting too close to a black hole probably feels just about the same as getting killed by getting too close to the sun, or a nuclear explosion. The exact details of the process that is causing your body to abruptly stop being a body are of little relevance to you in relation to the fact that you suddenly have one less body.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: December 22, 2018, 06:37:43 am »

Enlightening. I'll still keep 'toss into black hole' on my Evil Overlord Execution Methods list though.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: December 22, 2018, 06:41:07 am »

They're probably not getting back from that, certainly. If they are, you've got other problems!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: December 22, 2018, 06:47:10 am »

Yeah I'd probably just surrender if a black hole wasn't enough.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: December 22, 2018, 07:19:45 am »

Enlightening. I'll still keep 'toss into black hole' on my Evil Overlord Execution Methods list though.

Well, surrounding a black hole is a quasar, the hottest and brightest things in the entire universe outside of supernovas; so before you can throw anybody into a blackhole for spaghettification, you'd have to quasar-proof them against what is something like 10 trillion degrees of heat they'd have to pass through first. I mean, that probably helps with the execution, but it's the spirit of the matter.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: December 22, 2018, 07:56:15 am »

Now that would be enlightening!

And if you get that far as to need to invest in quasar-proofing your... 'guests'... go on to do this thing and then just surrender when they end up coming back after you, anyway, you might well have not used the right level of commitment to your chosen career path, one way or another.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: December 22, 2018, 08:53:12 am »

Well, surrounding a black hole is a quasar, the hottest and brightest things in the entire universe outside of supernovas

Only some supermassive black holes, most are quite inactive and perfectly suitable for gravity-based execution. Besides, the column of hard radiation coming out of a quasar is a better execution method anyway! You can raise their chances of getting deadly cancers by several thousand percent, AND you also get to bake them alive in an ambient temperature of millions of degrees or more, all while they suffocate in the vacuum of space!

It's genius! They'll never survive this, don't bother watching. Just open the airlock and leave, and all your bothersome enemy troubles will be over!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: December 22, 2018, 08:55:11 am »

Yeah or throw them in and bomb the quasar after just to be sure.
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: December 22, 2018, 09:49:47 am »

They're probably not getting back from that, certainly. If they are, you've got other problems!

I'm curious what way out from within the event horizon you see that justifies saying they only "probably" won't return.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: December 22, 2018, 09:53:53 am »

-
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 10:11:47 am by JoshuaFH »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: December 22, 2018, 12:02:23 pm »

You want to kill somebody with gravity? Feed him spoons of neutrino stars. Or drop it on the surface of one.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: December 22, 2018, 01:09:34 pm »

I'm curious what way out from within the event horizon you see that justifies saying they only "probably" won't return.

Magic bullshit shenanigans, probably of the plot variety, in which case there's nothing to be done except complete surrender.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: December 22, 2018, 01:24:02 pm »

Or take the opportunity to increase your Evil Overlord powers in a similar manner. After all, you can't spell "opportunity" without (most of) "plot"!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: December 22, 2018, 02:19:41 pm »

Or take the opportunity to increase your Evil Overlord powers in a similar manner. After all, you can't spell "opportunity" without (most of) "plot"!
Prot: A plot of Asiatic polpotions.

Was that offensive enough? I can do more...
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 229