Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 229

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 279525 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2910 on: December 22, 2018, 05:01:39 pm »

You want to kill somebody with gravity? Feed him spoons of neutrino stars. Or drop it on the surface of one.
Neutron I think you meant, my head hurts trying to figure out what a neutrino star would be like.

You nerds need to level up your hard sci fi and dig into some Baxter if you want to nerd out on Fun And Exciting Ways To Abuse Physics Like A PS1 Game Engine... talking about killing someone with gravity and not going to starbreakers... I am disappoint.

What's it like being hit by lased gravity (how the...) you might ask?

Well, find something that can hold up to a hit first and I'll get back to ya.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: December 22, 2018, 06:10:29 pm »

Step 1: accelerate two neutron stars to relativistic speeds
Step 2: let them collide with your enemy from opposite directions
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: December 22, 2018, 06:40:00 pm »

Lost in translation? I just thought that by employing a neutron star you at least could see the effects. It's too risky to simply trust and not see the person die, if all the bond villains are an example of anything.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: December 22, 2018, 10:27:53 pm »

Well, surrounding a black hole is a quasar, the hottest and brightest things in the entire universe outside of supernovas; so before you can throw anybody into a blackhole for spaghettification, you'd have to quasar-proof them against what is something like 10 trillion degrees of heat they'd have to pass through first. I mean, that probably helps with the execution, but it's the spirit of the matter.

The cloest quasars are billions of lightyears away, which means they existed billions of years ago, but don't now. They're not some compact thing, they huge. Galaxy-sized. in fact, they were probably the precursors to modern galaxies.

What a quasar is, is a galactic nucleus, but there's a large accretion disk of gas an debris, which falls into the galactic center, causing a huge energy output. It's nothing to do with black holes in general, everything to do with how galaxies formed. So, you'd have to specifically be falling into a galactic center black hole that's perhaps billion of times as massive as the sun (far more than an average black hole) around 10 billion years ago. However, you'd die of old age or be killed by the radiation exposure long before you got to the point where you're noticing the space distortion from the black hole.

Also, if you're falling into such a large black hole, then the relative force between your head and your feet wouldn't be as great as it would be as if you were falling into a small black hole (large black hole's event horizon is a lot further out), so the subjective force of sphaghettification would be a lot different in a black hole huge enough to be part of a quasar. See wikipedia article on Spaghettification. Tidal forces are highest at the surface for very dense objects. Large black holes have a lower density - since a doubly massive black hole has twice the event horizon, so 1/4th the density.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 10:48:06 pm by Reelya »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: December 22, 2018, 10:49:30 pm »

They're not some compact thing, they huge. Galaxy-sized. in fact, they were probably the precursors to modern galaxies.

Quasars top out at around 106 AU in diameter, which is about 1/19th the diameter of even the smallest dwarf galaxies and about 1/2000th the diameter of the average 104-parsec galaxy. It's kind of lazy to say they're "galaxy-sized"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: December 23, 2018, 12:36:47 am »

They're probably not getting back from that, certainly. If they are, you've got other problems!

I'm curious what way out from within the event horizon you see that justifies saying they only "probably" won't return.

There is a very (vanishingly!) small probability that 100% of their constituent particles will spontaneously quantum tunnel from inside the horizon, if they glance it JUUUUUUUUUUUUUST right.

Sure, the probability of that outcome is *SO* vanishingly small, that your odds of being destroyed by a spontaneously generated cloud of ionizing radiation powered exclusively by background fluctuations is orders of magnitude greater, but still not 100% certain.

So, only "Probably".  With very high confidence.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: December 23, 2018, 02:03:24 am »

from inside the horizon, if they glance it JUUUUUUUUUUUUUST right.

Therein lies the problem. (Or rather, therein lies the problem not associated with quantum gravity. Whether Hawking radiation is actually due to tunneling across the horizon is unknown, but in this case superfluous.)

You can't actually glance an event horizon from the inside, because you always proceed inward. That's why it's a black hole in the first place. Just look at a relevant Penrose diagram; you'll notice that, if you'll let me be imprecise, the geometry flips around at the horizon so the singularity covers the whole future light cone. (Here's one that shows it.)

Now, you could argue that our helpful vacuum fluctuations could just spontaneously spew out a perfect copy of our victim as he's flung in, but that's not really escape, and for that matter that could happen anywhere.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: December 23, 2018, 02:25:57 am »

Indeed; It "could" happen anywhere.

Which is why I said that your chances of being randomly irradiated to death by same said fluctuations is orders more likely. (since the resultant cloud does not have a necessity for a well ordered composition/arrangement of the produced particles-- and the locale does not require a black hole.)

Now, arguing that such a duplicate is in fact a duplicate, and not the original, is a bit like the quibbling about star-trek transporters being death machines or not. :P

As for trajectory of entry being a factor, it depends on if you are an ardent true believer of general relativity, or if you think quantum loop gravity is a thing.  If you think the latter, then things like this paper offer interesting alternative solutions.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0370269316306037

This is because quantum loop gravity obviates the need for a singularity at the center of the event horizon.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 02:39:37 am by wierd »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: December 23, 2018, 05:34:16 am »

Now, arguing that such a duplicate is in fact a duplicate, and not the original, is a bit like the quibbling about star-trek transporters being death machines or not. :P

This whole thing started because you decided to quibble about the difference between arbitrarily improbable events and impossible events, you know. You're technically right, but arguing that nothing is actually impossible is the secular equivalent of saying "God works in mysterious ways" (or, from upthread, Madman[numbers]' "you don't really KNOW anything") insofar as it's a rhetorical escape hatch with no actual predictive value. We're already well into quibble territory. :P

In any event, no, the impossibility of reaching the event horizon from within hasn't anything to do with the properties of the singularity;  technically such a region exists for any massive object, just like how anything has an innermost stable circular orbit. Black holes are just dense enough for it to be a region of space outside the object rather than a hypothetical region within the object (which of course doesn't exist because there's not enough of the object in it.)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: December 23, 2018, 06:54:29 am »

Unlike a "God in the gaps!" rhetorical fallacy, we could, (arguably, and with quite a huge honking grain of salt) give a rough mathematical calculus on just *HOW* improbable it is/would be, for a complete quantum duplicate of a person to appear at some arbitrarily distant position in the universe (and use that same math to calculate the odds of a person spontaneously tunneling out from inside an event horizon).  The fact that we could conceivably do that, means they are not the same thing. (Just close enough that this is totally a quibble, and I will totally grant you that. :))

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: December 23, 2018, 09:30:15 am »

When you say 'we could do that', do you mean you could do that? Can you show that it matters at all in calculating that probability whether there is or isn't a bloke beyond the horizon?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: December 23, 2018, 09:38:33 am »

The argument was about prediction.

Having the ability to assert, with confidence (any confidence!) what the incidence rate would be, is a prediction.

We can collect data about "probability of a particle tunnelling", and we can collect data about "Likelihood of distance tunneled", and we should soon be able to collect data about tunneling of assemblages of associated particles, and retention rate of the assemblage's relationships. (We are getting better at producing on-demand entangled photons, for instance, meaning we can produce more complex patterns of photons, and test tunneling behavior.)

We cannot collect data about a non-interacting object-- which is what a "god in the gaps!" does.   Because we cannot collect data, we cannot predict behavior.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: December 23, 2018, 09:43:49 am »

So that's a no then.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: December 23, 2018, 09:46:28 am »

Not currently, but there is a path to experiment.

There is not, and by definition, cannot be, a path to experiment to find the god in the gaps.

Thus, not the same thing.  Again, a quibble.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: December 23, 2018, 11:59:08 am »

and use that same math to calculate the odds of a person spontaneously tunneling out from inside an event horizon
...feed that figure into the finite improbability generator, give it a fresh cup of really hot tea... and turn it on!
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 229