Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 122673 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #3060 on: December 26, 2018, 08:43:30 am »

Yes, I do know that. My doubt is: The scientists at Earth, stated that they spent 50 years receiving signals and info gathered by the scientists on the planets. Now think about it, how much information would you gather in 50 years? A lot, right? So Earth knows a lot about the planets outside, but the thing is, it passed 50 years for people on earth, but mere days for the scientists on the planets. The scientists did not spend 50 years gathering info, so how did earth receive 50 years worth of data?

They didn't. They received a few hours of information as transmitted by the scientists, redshifted 61320-fold by gravitational time dilation owing to the nearby black hole.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: December 26, 2018, 08:45:07 am »

So basically they received a few hours of data, but ir arrived so slowly that it took 50 years to finish?
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: December 26, 2018, 08:53:48 am »

Exactly. They may have gotten more from a longer range, though; the strength of the dilation is inversely proportional to the distance to the massive object. (I haven't seen the film either.)

So if they leave what I'm assuming is a wormhole and fly straight down to the planet, transmitting all the while, you'd get long-range imaging in real time, with the observed dilation increasing as they got closer until it reached the aforementioned Lorentz factor on the surface.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: December 26, 2018, 09:18:27 am »

Well, thank you. But now my life has no more meaning.
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: December 26, 2018, 09:38:33 am »

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: December 26, 2018, 09:44:19 am »

My most sincere thank you, and also... I'm sigging this

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: December 26, 2018, 01:55:06 pm »

I thought the people on earth didnt have data about the planets because they could only get a plain “still here” signal through the wormhole or something plot-based
Quote from: LW
One of these days we will succeed in deporting all Scandinavians back to Somalia
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: December 26, 2018, 02:11:24 pm »

I thought the people on earth didnt have data about the planets because they could only get a plain “still here” signal through the wormhole or something plot-based

The paradox would continue, because then, earth received 50 years of "still-here" signals, while acctually, only a few days of signal has acctually been sent.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: December 26, 2018, 05:33:48 pm »

It's been a while since I saw it (when it came out), but I think it was a basic confirmation signal. They knew they couldn't get high bandwidth, they may even have had a mediating probe receive the (instantaneous-but-drawn-out) planetary signal, deal with its temporal issues and further help to extend its range back to Earth by acting as a latched relay.

IRL, the Voyager craft are working at around 160baud, currently, though they may have been faster during the Saturn encounter, apparently the location of this end of the wormhole. There's strangeness in passage through the wormhole, then the issues of travel from the other end. It is conceivable that even with current/near-future improvements to probe/spacecraft communications, the far end (and middle) of the outreach is already problematic, before the extreme doppler-esque slowdown.

If a full-handshaking mode could be established, then status updates might be prompted for (even if it takes a while), but I imagine the inflexibility of the transmitter (may only be able to ramp up its frequency so far, possibly only to the limits of the sending circuit, requiring the earth receiver/relay to adjust down to the ultra-low frequency it still would become) means that it may have been designed to be more UDPish than TCPish in its protocol, given how abnormally latency-tolerant it needs to be.

(I'd tell you a joke about UDP, but I'm not sure you'd get it.)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 05:35:58 pm by Starver »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: December 26, 2018, 07:35:02 pm »

The paradox would continue, because then, earth received 50 years of "still-here" signals, while acctually, only a few days of signal has acctually been sent.
Didn't saw the movie, but i would guess the speed of the signal was distorted by the wormhole too.

Imagine you are sending me as bluray copy of Interstellar to me here via a file host(the wormhole), your upload speed is 1gbps thanks to google fiber, so you are done in a few minutes. On my side, with a 256kbps I'll have to spend days/weeks down loading it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: April 05, 2019, 09:45:33 am »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: April 05, 2019, 03:58:59 pm »

Japanese declare war on SPAAAAACE!!!
I thought it was going to be a repeat of India's bright idea to launch a missile at a satellite in Earth orbit, destroying it and potentially threatening the ISS with debris.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: April 05, 2019, 06:14:47 pm »

First, we need to send George Clooney and/or Sandra Bullock up there for that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: April 05, 2019, 06:39:50 pm »

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: April 05, 2019, 07:33:24 pm »

Because it's been done and probably won't help with our constellation of orbital debris one bit, but it hasn't done what it did to Clooney et al (it still could cause a cascade, but then so could any other random bit of debris that was already there).

What I find most worrying is, as seemingly revealed by the shuffling of participants in that spacewalk the other day, they might not be able to put everybody in a space-suit in an (slow-enough developing but inevitable) emergency. One sort of assumed they had kit enough for at least transfer between modules the wrong side of a breached central hub, should they find themselves needing to, without needing to do double-duty with some of them (undonning them and getting a still-suited colleague to take them back for the next wearer).

So maybe in such a slow-emergency they'd make do with slightly awkward sizings, and less fuss about the need for comfortably-fitting equipment for extended work, but emergencies don't tend to even be that slow (Russian-style microleaks aside) so you tend to imagine there'd be a set of good-enough-to-leap-into suits of at least the same number as the crew (but ideally a multiple of that, sets placed round the rig in whatever spare internal space they can cram them into).

Or maybe it's just not worth it given the number/proportion of scenarios where the emergency is basically so quick there's no chance at all of doing anything about it. Cost/benefit actuarial analysis doesn't justify the space and weight needed, so they only have two each of the US and Russian 'spacewalk' suits, and would rely on their individual limited-protection 'travel' suit for any very brief episodes of depressurised exposure protection (no real thermal maintenance or micrometeoroid-armouring)..

It's a corner I'm not comfortable to find being cut. But I'm not the one trained to take account of the risks.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207