Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 229

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 279477 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2955 on: April 10, 2019, 11:23:27 am »

Depending on what you define as the black hole (with or without accretion disc, outside or inside the event horizon), it may not be possible to see the hole, by definition of what one is, but the shadow/silhouette or something similar is visible against its immediate hole-created surrounds.  Looking directly at the centre you'd see not much light from the matter yet to sufficiently fall inwards (and none from that which has) but as you view towards the sides you get an edge-on view of a wide swathe of that (actually, over the horizon, due to the gravitationally bent light-paths) so effectively you see "what it blots out", or its self-imposing shadow, of the especially 'glowing' material in its immediate vicinity.

Depends on how you want to describe it. It's a bit beyond everyday naked-eye observation, so it's not exactly an obvious thing to describe. "Shadow" sort of works, but maybe it's more akin to an Inferior Conjunction eclipse (the Moon blotting out the Sun) but... still not quite, because there's as much "sun" this side of the "moon" (and not even outshone!), yet the "moon" is the most significant party.

(Ninjaed by a more concise summary.)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: April 10, 2019, 11:55:48 am »

The shadow as it's used here has been defined precisely, though. It's the lensed image of the event horizon, approx. 2.5 times larger in angular diameter than the actual thing.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: April 10, 2019, 12:03:58 pm »

Did they found Bowman already?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: April 10, 2019, 12:35:49 pm »

This somewhat represents (from middle to one edge only, obviously you mirror for the other edge) where what you think you're looking at actually may be (somewhere along the 'parallel' path you choose, which might intersect with other such paths).

Bowman is in his hotel-room, watching TV.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:37:31 pm by Starver »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: April 10, 2019, 03:09:36 pm »

Remember also that this is a 6 Gigasun object which has been horking down material long enough to hurl a jet of matter across thousands of light years, so the background glow around the shadow is matter screaming as it grinds together while whipping around an orbit wider than that of Neptune and it's doing it fast enough that you can see variations in the images they took, so we're talking fully out in deep relativistic effects land, super high percent of the speed of light type shit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: April 10, 2019, 05:43:36 pm »

matter screaming as it grinds together
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: April 11, 2019, 05:12:06 pm »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: April 13, 2019, 09:03:32 am »

*brings back vivid KSP memories*
Bere-sheeit...

"We didn't make it, but we definitely tried"
Fuck it, this is the kind of quote that belongs in a frame on the wall.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: April 14, 2019, 07:41:47 am »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: April 14, 2019, 08:15:26 am »

On the same subject, almost... KSP plane - make it bigger, loads of engines, a lot of wing, and don't forget the wheels.

That looks like they welded two planes together at the wingtip.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: May 01, 2019, 03:47:59 am »

My hokum senses are tingling!!

https://www.livescience.com/65344-quantum-vacuum-gamma-rays.html

Faster than light charged particles?  MASSIVE particles!?  No no no no no no.

Oh, what's that? Local spacetime is distorted so that photons cant travel at the same speed?  But that is still the local spacetime medium, not a photon exchange medium! How?  What?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 03:50:17 am by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: May 01, 2019, 05:23:05 am »

Aren't particles by definition massive? It's not much mass, but I thought particles were the ones with the physical bits.

Then again, I am utterly without an education, so I probably shouldn't be talking.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: May 01, 2019, 05:48:27 am »

Photon is a point particle (that can also behave as a wave, but meh) that is massless. 

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2968 on: May 01, 2019, 08:04:41 am »

Oh, what's that? Local spacetime is distorted so that photons cant travel at the same speed?

I am the first to admit I'm not a quantum physicist, nor did I especially enjoy my quantum-adjacent courses, but I've read through the paper and I'm pretty sure that's never claimed. What is claimed is that strong magnetic fields polarise quantum fluctuations (not new), that polarisation causes an effect on protons similar to that of a dielectric medium (i.e. reduction of phase velocity) (not new), and that as a result it seems reasonable to claim that a charged particle in a vacuum can, supposing it is within a powerful enough magnetic field, emit Cherenkov radiation the way one would expect in a dielectric medium (a completely logical follow-on to the previous statements).

Nowhere does it posit that c is exceeded, nor that this really changes anything other than presenting a potential explanation for some currently murky astronomical gamma ray emissions. Especially, the result you seem to be taking particular offense to (light in a vacuum behaving as though in a dielectric medium) seems, although I could be wrong here because I'm reading papers I barely understand, to be decades old:

Quote from: Markland and Shukla, 2006
It has  been suggested  that the nontrivial refractive  index  due  to  photon–photon  scattering could induce a lensing effect in the neighbourhood of a magnetar (Shaviv et al., 1999).

The general interactions between photons and nonlinear QED effects in vacuums have been researched since the 70s or before, too.

I'm sure if I hunted more I could find older results or understand the topic better, but like I said, I don't particularly care for quantum.

Oh, and as for

How?  What?

The paper is on arxiv and presumably, to a physicist in the field, explains those quite adequately.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: April 18, 2020, 09:58:16 pm »

(Though it warns me about thread being idle >120 days, I thought it's better here even than the more recently used Science+Engineering+Environment thread. Either that or some of that thread's stuff better here, so worth a bump just to bring it to the fore again...)

https://newatlas.com/space/first-manned-crew-dragon-flight-date/ ...is May 27th, apparently.
Site given was chosen mostly for the URL It's on BBC, Reuters and even SyFy sites if you prefer to go elsewhere for any reason.

Fingers crossed, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 229