Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dragslay!  (Read 106870 times)

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
Dragslay!
« on: July 30, 2001, 03:02:00 pm »

Are you gonna be posting Dragslay anytime soon? Just wondering if we could see some of your old work.  That and I wanna kill stuff!!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Dragslay!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2001, 03:46:00 pm »

Well, none of my old work (if you could call it that!) was ever polished off and completed (except arguably a silly checkers-type game called Loser Ball that we circulated around in the mid '90s -- we didn't get a single response, although there were about 5000 downloads; that was before I had an email address.  Loser Ball used an old sound library and probably won't compile now.)

The vulgarity and downright un-PCness of some of the early programs I wrote in my teens and preteens will prevent posting, but I could make it a project to dig up a lot of the post-ables when I'm on vacation (leaving in two days!).

All-in-all, I'd estimate that I've worked on about 50 serious projects since I've been programming, and only a few (including the current one) weren't rudely interrupted (by college/high school/boredom/etc.).  I also have over 1000 little Basic and C programs I've written in the past 15 years that are mostly just little animations and so-on (often of an untoward nature).  I am a bit worried about maintaining that kind of output -- if the math department decides I'm not worth having around in a few months, I'll have to find a real job, and at that point, well, I'll probably either be busy or tired all of the time like everyone else who ends up abandoning their freeware projects.

But we're not at that point yet.

Anyway, I'll most likely put up Dragslay (assuming it runs) and some other nonsense when I return from vacation.  I just spent a few hours yesterday hitting all of the various versions of DND/Telengard etc. that I found on the net, so why not some old garbage of my own?  :)

Oh yeah, next release of Armok, like some of the previous ones, will feature the player running around killing stuff, so don't worry about that.  Just don't expect anything pretty or complete.  This project is still just getting started.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2001, 11:09:00 am »

Okay, I found Dragslay and I actually got it compiling in MSVC.  There are a few problems:

1) Lots of (bad) bugs left over -- this project was scuttled after all, so it isn't clean.  The game balance used to be great, but it's shot right now.

2) Borland's old C handled text output a lot better than Microsoft's Console Applications.  Moving around the outside map is so slow now that it is unplayable, even though it's just text!  (back with Borland it was lightning fast)

Before I'd release Dragslay, I'd want to clean all of that stuff up.

The Bay 12 Games crew is pondering cleaning up a number of old projects, updating them, and putting them out.  The particulars of that venture have yet to be finalized.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2001, 08:12:00 pm »

I fixed problem #2 to the point where it's playable (still a little slow).  Lots of bugs left.

Armok Update:  Fixing conversion bugs -- 8/22 source files cleaned.  14/22 left to go...  that's only 35000 lines or so  :roll:

Then FINALLY the new interface!

Harlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2001, 01:01:00 pm »

Woo-hoo!
Keep up the good work.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2001, 10:34:00 pm »

Down to a measly 5/22 source files left to clean...

When I wrote it in the log I noticed that yesterday was the one year anniversary of the log (the web site is slightly newer).  In retrospect I haven't come quite as far as I might have liked the past year, but real life sucks that way.

My schedule (aside from all the math -- the exams are in one month) is to clean up the Armok code, fix any bugs that this whole process has introduced, then balance adding the Armok interface with cleaning up Dragslay.  My new computer is being sent tomorrow.  Alanor has included some games with it.  I'll try not to be distracted :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2001, 04:55:00 pm »

I've finished the cleaning process, and amazingly enough, there don't seem to be any new bugs.  I'll have to fight some more creatures until I can be more certain, but it looks good.  The only thing stopping a release now is my making it more presentable/playable from an interface/graphics perspective.  It looks like the point of the next release will be to find an enemy town and kill what you find there.  That's original.  :)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 10:03:00 pm »

I wanna play....  :(
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

This reminds me to find out if Harlander is still working on that Zombie game or not.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »

This has gotta be some kind of record for thread necromancy, holy crap. Though it WOULD be pretty cool to see some of Toady's older works, vulgar or not.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »

Eek...  I think it's time the "Thread Necromancy Award" thread be taken down...  I3erent's working too hard for it.

And yeah, we'd all love to see the ancient creations of the mighty God-Toad.  Vulgarity preferred, of course, but we'll even go for the mild stuff.  So long as it has that twisted snese of humor we all know and love, it's great.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 11:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrving:
<STRONG>This has gotta be some kind of record for thread necromancy, holy crap. Though it WOULD be pretty cool to see some of Toady's older works, vulgar or not.</STRONG>

I need something to do waiting on Roariron to come up!  ;)
(subtle jab at the ever busy Kagus lmao)

I think toad said he isnt sure were dragslay is in the chat, if i remember correctly that was several beers ago...

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 01:51:00 am »

Wow, I was still using smilies back then.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 02:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Wow, I was still using smilies back then.</STRONG>

Ah you were such a young, carefree,ambitious man.  Now you are a little older more efficient, ambitious man.

[ March 28, 2008: Message edited by: I3erent ]
Forigive me kind sir for I am more than half cocked....
Edited to remove subtle threats of my smurf kin sieging if DF dont get finished.
Yeah I'm drunk...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Wow, I was still using smilies back then.</STRONG>

Dont you mean Instant Graemlins.

Wait, what the hell is a Graemlin?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5