Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elephants are the worst enemy in the game.  (Read 1610 times)

Sankis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elephants are the worst enemy in the game.
« on: August 19, 2006, 03:50:00 pm »

Does anyone else find Elephants to be the worst and hardest enemy in the game? I have not once been able to defeat an elephant in melee in Adventure mode. If the first hit doesn't kill me, the second one will. They're also incredibly fast. I have yet to outrun one.

I did manage to kill one once with a crossbow, but it took about 8 bolts to do so and I only managed because his first hit missed.

I recently started a game of fortress mode. For some reason a few hours into it, four elephants just charged into my base and killed EVERYONE. Over 50 dwarves died, 10 of which were soldiers, to 4 elephants. Isn't there something wrong with that? Not even my entry traps could kill them and nothing seemed to scratch them, not even my 70+ animals.

Dwarf Chunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elephants are the worst enemy in the game.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 04:20:00 pm »

Yes, they are indeed VERY tough. But in my experience traps help against them. Two stonefall traps and they are injured enough to pass out at least IME. I guess better traps are more useful, but I haven't seen any other elephant/trap encounter, so I am not sure how well they do.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 04:29:00 pm »

Hmm.  Did you try a cage trap?  They might be too big, but if it worked a caged elephant would be nice.

If all else fails, a pressure-plate drowning trap would work.  Those should kill anything that can't fly or swim.

[ August 19, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 04:32:00 pm »

Actually, I think elephants are the second-worst enemy in the game--someone said they once found zombie elephants in fortress mode.

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 04:49:00 pm »

It would be quite nice to set a rally point if there's an emergency. Everyone run to the inner halls after sealing the entrance with some floodgates, and then either flood them out or just wait for the traps to work.

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 06:31:00 pm »

yeah I always seem to get some skeletal elephants running around my fortresses for some reason.... they usually trample everybody pretty quickly.

but one time I went a pretty long time with
HERDS of skeletal elephants and some skeletal giant tigers or something. then I think some bug got my game because I dont remember everybody dying.

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 07:10:00 pm »

Cage traps WILL capture elephants.  Unfortunately, elephants don't really make the best pets in the world: if they're stray, they'll just eventually wander off the map, and (if I read the raw files correctly) only have calves every ten years.

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 08:02:00 pm »

Normal Elephants keep scaring away caravans... only humans seem to make it to my depot.

As for zombie/skeletal elephants they just kill...
Then make all the dropped supplies REALLY tempting..

The caravans getting slaughtered by the animals doesn't affect my standings with their towns in a negative way does it? Not yet? Not at this point? Does it?

<.<
>.>

oof

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 09:30:00 pm »

Argh! My fortress just got ele-raped. I'm gonna set blade traps in the jungle for them from now on. Take that you long nosed bastids!

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 01:50:00 am »

Speaking of crazy enemies.. how are you supposed to fight dragons? Any dwarves that get within like 15 squares of one are instantly incinerated.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 09:39:00 am »

"When you see a [dragon], you do what we do.  You run."
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin