Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1077060 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Wisdom of the Crowd
« Reply #1830 on: April 13, 2014, 10:36:15 am »

Tiruin, you're also good enough to fool me.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: April 13, 2014, 11:30:41 am »

It's absolutely fine, Paris. I was just wondering because you only posted a half-turn last time, but that's fine. Take all the time you need and good luck with your work!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: April 17, 2014, 06:58:21 pm »

I had an Idea for a game type. A huge arena where if you kill someone, you get to use their powers. And the powers of everyone they've killed.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: April 17, 2014, 07:48:14 pm »

I had an Idea for a game type. A huge arena where if you kill someone, you get to use their powers. And the powers of everyone they've killed.
Sounds like it would get unbalanced fast.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: April 17, 2014, 08:06:13 pm »

Sounds like it would get unbalanced fast.
Which is why people would love it.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: April 17, 2014, 08:10:40 pm »

Which is why people the winners  would love it.
FTFY.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1836 on: April 17, 2014, 09:35:40 pm »

((I fell asleep halfway through proofreading this turn so I decided to just post it and be done with it so I can collapse with exhaustion. Please excuse any mistakes.))

New end goal of what I'm going to use biomass to grow into. A DRAGON. >: ) Like, a DF dragon. Use biomass to turn into a baby dragon if possible. If I do not have enough, seek food sources.
You do know that DF dragons don't have wings, right? Standard ones don't, anyway. You might be playing with a mod.
But if you wanna be a flying lizard, then sure. Two legged or four legged? Or maybe 2 legs, wings and tiny arms? Or maybe wings and tentacles for a more "dark god" feel (which may or may not result in "flying octopus" jokes)?

<Not that I do not get jubilant watching your aimlacking wanderings human, but mayhaps you should consult with your cofighterers and contrive a battle formulation? This situation appears to be transforming into an increasingly worsened state.>

"Careful!  Hey, did you know there's something hooked up in the cargo bay?  Something under the seats here, too.  Don't push the ejector though."

Go check out what it is in the cargo bay.  Identify its function.
Well, you've got lots of interesting things. You got a couple of spacesuits, a couple of jetpacks, some electronics and sensors, basic medical equipment and supplies (although you really can't tell what's in most of those bottles), materials for basic repairs... You could probably summon most of these things, but hey, it's better than nothing.
The cargo area itself is a relatively small tubular area with various hooks and compartments in the walls and floor where cargo and equipment can be tied or stored in.
There are also a couple of small compartments that can act as beds (or makeshift low quality operating tables).
The roof can open much like the roof of a space shuttle, to allow cargo to be transferred.

You feel the vehicle stopping and then descending quickly. A bit too quickly.
You are quick and lucky enough to find an open compartment to hold on to and manage to escape the rough landing with nothing but a few bruises and a few minor cuts caused by the tools falling out of the compartment.

Is it still called Pteromerhanophobia if the pilot may be trying to kill you?
"Hey, it's cool, it's cool. Just let me manuever a bit and... yeah, fine.
Keep going and if the building is in range, land the ship.
You approach the roof you left Angel on and begin slowing down and preparing to land.

You seem to have misjudged your rate of descend, for you descend too rapidly. The spaceplane bounces as its suspension tries to absorb the force of the impact. You can hear and feel metal bending and breaking somewhere below you and can see various red lights lighting up around the cockpit. Let's hope you didn't break anything important.

Good thing you were wearing your seatbelt.

((That new game sounds interesting.))

<The robot is crippled. Now would be a good time for any finishing attacks.>
Drive the truck into it at full speed. Brace for impact.

EDIT: Some conversation
"Hey Entity, what are rules for keeping things we find on mission?"
<Normally, you get nothing. You might be able to get away with keeping some useless little thing I guess. Like a pen or sumething.
But if you win and then ask me veeery nicely, I might be able to let you keep something. Because I'm a nice girl like that.>

You continue driving the truck at full speed, into the cloud of dust the collapsing building has created, straight towards the dark shape you can see inside it.
Wait a minute. You're driving at full speed towards a huge object. That means you're gonna crash into it. This is gonna hur-

The impact is not very pleasant. One of the downsides of having a heavily reinforced skeleton on a heavily modified vehicle with a souped up engine means that most of the force of the impact is transferred directly to you. There's no soft metal to be compressed, there's no loss of kinetic energy to deformation and friction. What's worse, the airbag seems to have also been affected by the vehicles modification and hits you like the right hook of a drunk heavyweight boxer who just heard you bad mouthing his mother.
Despite all the above, you manage to survive with all of your limbs mostly intact, a bit of dizziness and a lot of pain. If you had a tomorrow to worry about, you would probably be worried about the bruises the seatbelt is going to cause you and any fractured bones you might have. But right now, you have more important problems. Like that shadow you can see approaching you through the smoke and the blurriness of your vision.

You display an astounding lack of reflexes and/or self-preservation instinct as you simply watch the metal dome-fist of your enemy approaching you, unresponsive, doing nothing to prevent your imminent death.
Lucky for you, the BETA displays an equally astounding lack of dexterity. The dome-fist smashes the ground a meter or two away from your modified truck, destroying the road, spilling its wiry innards in the process and causing your vehicle to bounce around.

<I gotta hand it to ya. That was really balsy. Not very smart, but still, you got style, you know?>

((I can't decide if I'm annoyed or amused that I died to a massive monster before I could do much interesting again.))
Perhaps you should reconsider your tactics then? Stop facing the bosses alone (or in this case near hand-aimed artillery)? I'd say get some points on the combat stats related to your fighting style but you need to get some points first in order to do that. Remember, you're a glass cannon. To use an RPG analogy, fighters in the front, mages in the back.

Maybe I made this boss fight harder than I should had.

Just to remind you, the robot's missing its head and has its left leg heavily damaged.
Feel free to ask me anything else.

Meanwhile...

So, Alan has currently condemned his host into a long time of hardship and possible imprisonment and/or death, impeded the process of his team and thrown at least two attempts I've made to get him involved with the plot of this mission out the window. And his host is moderately injured, the host's beginning to believe he's gone crazy and Alan's very close to being desynchronized.
I'm gonna sig this if you don't mind.

Hmm. Well, that went well, I think.

Idly drive around trying to find a body shop so I can fix/make over this guy's car.
((Just noticed I had a typo in there. It's progress, not process. I don't know how I managed to confuse the two.))

Let's see... Your host, for some strange reason, thinks that the problem of the gunshot wounds on his torso is a tad more important than his damaged car. What a weirdo.
Anyway, he staves off your attempts to influence him and instead goes off to search for medical attention. Your interface beeps red several times and everything turns black.
Congratulations. You are now the only player in this mission to have been desynchronized. Twice.

{Irine}
I'd better make myself sound threatening, I need to negotiate from the illusion of strength, despite how he has the real power here.
<If I had wanted him burnt back there, he would have been.>
That should do the trick, telling him who I am, what I can do, and implying a vague threat all at the same time.
<Now then, to business. You treat Amelia, and you let us stay by her side at all times. If someone tries to break in, you let us know. If it's too much for your security to handle, you get us a camera feed of the problem and an accurate map of the area it's happening in so I can aim properly. Afterwards, Amelia is allowed to decide her own fate, be it to work with you, work with us, or go against us both, and whatever she decides to do, we let her do it. We each get 5 minutes to pitch what we want from her before she decides. Deal?>
if he objects to the deal, saying that it overly favors us:
<We have Amelia, We have the hostages, and We're stronger than you. My way we keep her safe, and we each get a fair shot at getting what we want out of her. This is a better deal than you have any right to ask for.>
This is such a harsh way to negotiate, I mean, I know why I'm doing things like this, but still... ugh.
If he accepts:
<Good, I suggest saying something to your goons so we can stop standing here with guns out drawing the attention of anyone who passes by.>
Refine the gun-ban
It is refined, marginally. Not a very obvious difference.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Zoe asks Boris, pointing her gun at him instead of her hostage. "Don't get any closer."
"You and me both know you won't do that. Start shooting and all you'll do is get yourself killed." he says and approaches further. Zoe knows he's right. She can't shoot him. He doesn't seem to be a danger anyway. Yet. "You two." he points to the two armed guards. "Get back to securing the perimeter. We don't know how long we got until they get here. I'll take-" Boris makes a move to grab the gurney Amelia is on but Zoe gets in front of him, still pointing her gun at him.
"Not so fast. Not until we get some answers."
Boris looks at her for a couple of seconds. "Very well." he says in a resigned manner. He seems unemotional, like he doesn't really care that much that you're here or that all this is happening. You'd at least expect him to have some questions about who Zoe is and why she's here. "Follow me. I'll explain."
"I have a bad feeling about this." Awena whispers to Zoe as the later follows the Director, the hostage still in her arms, more of a security blanket than actual leverage at this point.
"So do I, but I don't know what else to do."

While Zoe and Boris walk to the next room, Awena pushing the gurney behind them, Irene and Victor chat, trying to make deals behind their host's backs.
<Now then, to business. You treat Amelia, and you let us stay by her side at all times. If someone tries to break in, you let us know. If it's too much for your security to handle, you get us a camera feed of the problem and an accurate map of the area it's happening in so I can aim properly. Afterwards, Amelia is allowed to decide her own fate, be it to work with you, work with us, or go against us both, and whatever she decides to do, we let her do it. We each get 5 minutes to pitch what we want from her before she decides. Deal?>
<Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that. I'm not supposed to wake her up or heal her, at least not using traditional methods. I've got to make sure my host uses that machine on her.>

"I am Boris. Scientist. I have the knowledge to help with this."

"I simply need to finish this. Then she will be fine. You can have her for whatever you need after that."
The room you enter is much smaller than the previous one. Its walls are lined with computers and there are two metal plates forming an amphitheatrical semi-circle with a bed in the middle. And at the middle of the semicircle lies a grey crystal surrounded by a flower-petal-like pattern of dark metal, pointing straight towards the bed. The crystal is Irene's objective from mission 1, she is sure of it.
"Put her in the bed. I need to use that machine on her." he adds, very matter of factly. "Timing is important. Need to wait until the right time."
Zoe and Awena still feel a bit uneasy around the man.They're unsure about this.

"Dang. Say, do you happen to know if the time limit on this is closing in?" Ike asked his entity.

>Pursue. You have no time to waste.
You start driving towards the abandoned warehouse, a police car in tow.
Please wait, shouldn't be more than a turn or two depending on what Tiruin/DAF decide to do with Irene, if they decide to do anything.
<So, this was a fun little thing wasn't it? Too much time driving around I guess, but other than that, it was... OK? I guess?
We're probably near the end now. That usually means a boss fight, right? Think you're ready or should we grab a couple of potions and wait for more minions?>

Roll to Wake Up!

((That's pretty much all I have at this point...))
Beep. "...downtown. Some kind of..." Beep. "...yeah, they've got me here..." Beep. Head pain much. "...there in a few minutes." Beep. Eyes open. Too blurry. Much light. Dark shape. White shape. Eyes closed. Beep. "Did he just move?" Beep. Pain. "Nah, he's lost too much blood." Beep. "Full of lead. Nerve damage. Full of painkillers." Beep. "Guy's lucky to be alive." Beep. "More like unlucky, am I right?" Beep. One laughs. Beep.

Continue driving and synchronizing timelines
Doing that.
There was something I wanted to do with your character but I can't seem to be able to remember it right now.
Oh well, it was just RP, nothing serious regarding the mission. I just can't remember it right now and it's driving me crazy.

Elsewhere...

Spinal_Taper
You wake up.

You can feel the bumps of the road and hear the whirr of the car's engine. There's music coming from the radio. You can see points of light through the window you're leaning on, their shapes rendered blurry and indistinct by the darkness and the drops of moisture on the other side of the transparent barrier.

English isn't your first language?  Good enough to fool me.
Eh, I've been reading and writing in English (books, computers, movies, etc.) since I was very young so I've had lots of experience.
And I had a good teacher for the Proficiency in English degree, that helped a lot with writing techniques, how to use more varied vocabulary, avoid common mistakes, etc.
Some of the more day to day informal expressions elude me though. Not that much practice in speaking it either.
Plus, my accent is terrible. I sound like a mix of stereotypical Russian and stereotypical Italian and my voice is very bass and it just sounds awful.
tl;dr: I'm a Dabbling Organizer and my SELF_DISCIPLINE personality trait is less than 10, but this isn't dead, just sleeping. New turn sometime in the following days.
LIES.
You've got more self-discipline than that.

*non-first language high-five*
Also I WILL be posting for Lenglon and self soon :X
I'd talk about my personality, but every time I try to do that I end up contradicting myself which proves I really know nothing about myself so I'll let you make your own judgement on the matter.

*returns high-five* Can't leave a sister hanging.
And, as Toaster said, you're very good with English.
Not really sure. I've been thinking about doing something similar with the Challenge game mode, but I'm thinking of removing it.
Sounds like it could get messy fast. Especially if someone manages to get a pair of kills that makes them essentially unbeatable by combining the right powers. Of course, that could be considered smart strategic thinking... Hmmm... I'll think about it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:48:07 pm by Parisbre56 »

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: April 17, 2014, 09:45:41 pm »

>Eyes closed for now, but take a peek every once in a while to try and get a feel for your surroundings. Listen intently but don't make any movements. Keep it simple.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: April 17, 2014, 09:55:44 pm »

((We took out his primary weapon and crippled his primary method of locomotion.  I'd say we're doing pretty damned good.))

<<Did something hit us?  You trying to get us killed up there?  Whatever- there's jetpacks back here- this is my stop!>>

Grab a jetpack and get out.  Feel the plane on the way out to see if anything important is broken- relay damage report to pilot.  Also feel the jetpack to get a handle on its capabilities.

((Also it liiiiiiiiiiiives))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: April 17, 2014, 10:00:10 pm »

Am I a young dragon or not. If not, I will instead become a flying reptile that can cause a chemical reaction inside of it, causing flames to burst out. I want my dragon already.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: April 17, 2014, 11:13:19 pm »

Pansy.

Try to reconnect.

((Maybe bringing the guy who's personality is 'fuck compromise I want a soda' on this mission wasn't the best plan :P))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: April 17, 2014, 11:17:51 pm »

((Maybe bringing the guy who's personality is 'fuck compromise I want a soda' on this mission wasn't the best plan :P))
((No, it is always a good idea to have a wildcard like Alan on these types of missions.

Always.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: April 17, 2014, 11:38:26 pm »

((No, it is always a good idea to have a wildcard like Alan on these types of missions.

Always.))
((Of course, how could I fuck up the plot otherwise?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: April 18, 2014, 12:50:05 am »

"Well, you know, this was pretty fun if only because of ol' Ike Wayne being such a badass most of the time. But then again, I haven't used the more fun bits of my arsenal yet. I get the feeling that's about to change."

>Keep on driving in the free world!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:31:31 am by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: April 18, 2014, 09:25:23 am »

You do know that DF dragons don't have wings, right? Standard ones don't, anyway.
((And yet, cave dragons do. Nonfunctional, but still.
It's more likely a holdover from when flying dragons caused AI issues, IIRC, than anything else.))

Is it still called Pteromerhanophobia if the pilot may be trying to kill you?
((Depends. Are you afraid of flying, or of the pilot's flying?))

You approach the roof you left Angel on and begin slowing down and preparing to land.
You seem to have misjudged your rate of descend, for you descend too rapidly. The spaceplane bounces as its suspension tries to absorb the force of the impact. You can hear and feel metal bending and breaking somewhere below you and can see various red lights lighting up around the cockpit. Let's hope you didn't break anything important.
Good thing you were wearing your seatbelt.
((...I really hope you didn't land on Angel. Wait, she's dead.))

Perhaps you should reconsider your tactics then? Stop facing the bosses alone (or in this case near hand-aimed artillery)? I'd say get some points on the combat stats related to your fighting style but you need to get some points first in order to do that. Remember, you're a glass cannon. To use an RPG analogy, fighters in the front, mages in the back.
((The first time, I didn't have much choice. The second time, I had an escape plan which...kinda failed.))

Congratulations. You are now the only player in this mission to have been desynchronized. Twice.
((He's the only player in any mission to have been desynchronized twice.))

Not really sure. I've been thinking about doing something similar with the Challenge game mode, but I'm thinking of removing it.
Sounds like it could get messy fast. Especially if someone manages to get a pair of kills that makes them essentially unbeatable by combining the right powers. Of course, that could be considered smart strategic thinking... Hmmm... I'll think about it.
((Here's one thing to consider.
Assume that all characters' combat abilities are determined 50% by things that get stolen and 50% by things that don't, and that everyone starts at equal strength. Let's say there's six--Alice, Bob, Carol, Dan, Eve, and Fred. Dan kills Fred, making Dan half again as strong as anyone else. This makes it harder for Carol to kill Dan, and easier for Dan to kill Eve. Let's say that while Dan kills Fred and evades Carol, Bob kills Alice. Now, we have Carol at her original strength, minus whatever she lost to fighting, while Bob is half again as strong and Dan is twice the strength of any. Dan and Bob would naturally fight each other; without help from Carol, who doesn't want to face the wrath of Dan, Dan will probably win, meaning that Carol is pretty much doomed. If Carol does help, though, Bob will be able to kill Carol just as easily, unless she somehow steals the final blow. In this scenario, and similar ones, whoever gets the first kill or two is going to win, barring extreme luck or a good combination of abilities.
Now, things get even worse when alliances come into play. Let's say that the previous scenario occurs, except that Alice and Eve agree to work together. They easily take down Carol, with Eve getting her power, while Dan kills Fred. Bob is nicely doomed, unless maybe he can work with Dan; Alice and Eve would press their advantage, trying to kill Dan ASAP. As you can see, whoever forms an alliance has an almost certain chance of victory, unless their partner does (or, again, luck or chance comes into play).
It's a decent idea, but it needs work.))

((Of course, how could I fuck up the plot otherwise?))
((My dad screwed up my plots by simple lateral thinking. Usually, this involved some clever plan, or allying the enemy, but he sometimes subverted my planning there with things like "No, I won't talk to the antagonist or be stealthy or clever or anything, I'll just kill all his guards."))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 521