Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1075839 times)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Fight or Flight? (aka Where do we go from here?)
« Reply #2865 on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:37 pm »

"Wait... these parasites are actually killing more people?" Zechariah tightened his grip on his staff. "But.. we can't just.. let them.." He gritted his teeth, uncertain of what he should say. It went against his very nature to just let people die like that, but he had already gone through similar experiences with the Shadow. He knew that, in order to save them in the end, he had to keep himself focused on the goal at hand. Then, maybe he'll be able to do something about it.

He didn't want to compromise their mission thus far, though. His feelings could come later. He didn't want to turn into Artemis again.
Never again.

"Whichever way is going to be safest for us to get to.. your destination," Zechariah said in a flat tone. He was being a bit snide, but he couldn't help it. It was his only consolation, for now.

Follow River.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: October 30, 2014, 09:12:58 pm »

I give Zech a predatory smile.
"Zech, I'm in favor of the portal. Do you remember how I fight?"
I pause for a moment, giving him time to think through my question.
"I make most decisions for more than one reason."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: October 30, 2014, 09:29:13 pm »

In other news, I noticed this will be one year old in seven days. Yay for me. I think it's customary to do something during such anniversaries. Can't really give you presents or anything though, at least nothing you could use. Want me to do anything else maybe?
((PMing Paris a horrible idea))
((I wish you well and a prosperous game. Do not descend into self-doubt like I did [and thereby stalled my game for years]))
Also cake. Make cake.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: October 30, 2014, 11:19:44 pm »

In other news, I noticed this will be one year old in seven days. Yay for me. I think it's customary to do something during such anniversaries. Can't really give you presents or anything though, at least nothing you could use. Want me to do anything else maybe?
((PMing Paris a horrible idea))
((I wish you well and a prosperous game. Do not descend into self-doubt like I did [and thereby stalled my game for years]))
Also cake. Make cake.
I read prosperous as preposterous. Lol.
Bake yourself a cake Paris.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:50:18 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: October 31, 2014, 07:56:27 am »

Want me to do anything else maybe?

Entity shipping grid.

Survival

"Good one."

Summon molotov.  Throw molotov.  Shoot if there's a clear shot, but try to stay down.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:02:20 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: October 31, 2014, 11:28:11 am »

Survival

((Time to test how bulletproof I am.))

Charge at the four guys. It's finally impaling time.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: October 31, 2014, 12:10:53 pm »

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: October 31, 2014, 12:31:12 pm »

((I can't even determine what entities there are in the first place, but that sounds like a good idea.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: October 31, 2014, 08:40:35 pm »

Entity shipping grid.
((!!This!!))
((I wholeheartedly approve of this.))

Campaign
Zechariah raised his eyebrows in a show of surprise. Out of all the people to suggest this, she was the one.

Maybe he would be able to take out his anger on the predators of the living after all. He had fought the Shadows before. This shouldn't be too alien of an experience for him, should it?

He nods and gives a very slight but determined smile. "That was what I was hoping for." He turns to River and decides his answer. "Let's take the portal. Maybe we can save a few souls along the way, if we're lucky. Either way, I think we can keep them off of us if we are attacked. Let's do this."

To the portal and beyond, then. Time to take my frustration out on some mind-enslaving octopuses.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: November 01, 2014, 09:05:54 pm »

survival

Look for another way out.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: November 01, 2014, 11:49:16 pm »

Survival

Begin laying heavy fire on the guys around the car. Aim so I don't hit Saevus, and if all the guys around the car are dead, walk over, get in the car, and invite the other guys to get in before I drive to my hideout. If they aren't dead, stay behind cover of the burning car.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:53:14 pm by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2876 on: November 02, 2014, 07:51:47 pm »

Campaign

A coconut? Really, powers? That's just bananas!

Alan grins vacantly as he imagines sound effects to cap off this terrible joke.
But transportation must be attained! Alan assumes his powerup stance.

Attempt to summon a car! Preferably a big one. If that doesn't work, go back to basics and call into being a wheeled mattress to ride upon.
By that I mean a mattress with a bed frame underneath it, not an actual mattress with wheels attached.

car
common household objects
No. Be glad I'm not interpreting this as a roll with a ridiculous penalty.

The other thing, let's see... You get a race-car bed. Surely there will be no problem with using that.

Campaign, Ike!

"Ah, wonderful. Making good progress already, we are. So, let's take the dang portal to where we're supposed to be. Maybe murder some things on the way, eh?"

Spoiler: IkeNotes (click to show/hide)

Expedite any urgent tasks by helping out however is needed. Seriously, let's get moving, you guys.

If there are no tasks I can expedite, cheer for Alan and encourage him to be the best Alan he can be.

"Just be yourself Alan! Trust the power within you! It will lead you to greatness! Be it great performance, great hilarity or great injury, one thing is certain: it will be as great as an overshoot!"

"I think I'll stay like this then. I've been mostly shifting between extremes lately, it's nice to just be me for a while."
Continuing to collect flames, same as the last several turns.

EDIT: adding movement pattern for when we go towards the portal
When we move to leave, I collect my flames into five evenly distributed spheres, one of these remains over my head or otherwise near me as I move, the other four spread out, slowly spiraling and circling around the entire group as a whole, and arcing down to strike any threats. the one near me I further subdivide into five parts as needed, and have them move to strike at any parasites that get in the middle of the group.
If we come to a small dark area I will light it with a perimiter orb or two as we move through/near it. If we come to a large dark area I will take a small section of the interior sphere and scatter it into a large array of tiny motes and sparks of flame, making the entire area around us glow.
At all times I'm attempting to continue to collect additional flames, increasing the firepower I have available and using it to form additional perimeter orbs of fire, using the bodies of parasites or other threats as fuel.
Well, the corpse really doesn't have much left to burn, so you just gather what few scraps of flame remain and add them to your collection.

"Thanks. Alright, lets use the portal.
Show the repaired amulet to River and ask if he can sense any magic.
"Can you sense any magic in this amulet?"
You show the giant piece of gold lying on the floor to River. He looks unsure for a moment, looking at you and then at the amulet and then back at you. He emits something between a sigh and a growl, kneels down besides it, puts a hand on it and takes a deep breath as his eyes turn black. After a few moments of staring at it, you can see a faint smile briefly appearing on his mouth. Well, at least you think it does. You're not an expert on wolf-people facial expressions. Then again, maybe the emotions you're getting out of his body language aren't entirely natural. A few seconds later he lets his breath out, gets up and turns to face you again.
"I can sense magic. Most of it is yours. It has filled some gaps but... Nothing clear. It has form but no use. No function. Maybe it is meant to be part of something else. Or to tell something to something else. Like a... a thing that things attach themselves on to function. Anchor? Antigen? Frame? Key? Maybe it will be clearer once we go through the portal. Or maybe your magic is misleading."

((I'm assuming you untsared it and are either carrying it or handed it over to Irene.))

"Wait... these parasites are actually killing more people?" Zechariah tightened his grip on his staff. "But.. we can't just.. let them.." He gritted his teeth, uncertain of what he should say. It went against his very nature to just let people die like that, but he had already gone through similar experiences with the Shadow. He knew that, in order to save them in the end, he had to keep himself focused on the goal at hand. Then, maybe he'll be able to do something about it.

He didn't want to compromise their mission thus far, though. His feelings could come later. He didn't want to turn into Artemis again.
Never again.

"Whichever way is going to be safest for us to get to.. your destination," Zechariah said in a flat tone. He was being a bit snide, but he couldn't help it. It was his only consolation, for now.

Follow River.
Campaign
Zechariah raised his eyebrows in a show of surprise. Out of all the people to suggest this, she was the one.

Maybe he would be able to take out his anger on the predators of the living after all. He had fought the Shadows before. This shouldn't be too alien of an experience for him, should it?

He nods and gives a very slight but determined smile. "That was what I was hoping for." He turns to River and decides his answer. "Let's take the portal. Maybe we can save a few souls along the way, if we're lucky. Either way, I think we can keep them off of us if we are attacked. Let's do this."

To the portal and beyond, then. Time to take my frustration out on some mind-enslaving octopuses.
River looks at you for a few seconds but says nothing.

Everyone
With everyone assembled and ready to move, you make your way outside, to the dark world made of rough dead dark rock, filled with the sound of howling winds that transfer with them the smell of things that make your nose burn and your eyes water (with the exception of Ike's). A dim dark green glow is coming from the sky that allows you to see once your eyes adjust. Brief bright illumination is provided by the passage of green lightning bolts, allowing you to see a great distance around you while simultaneously ruining your night-vision. The appear intermittently, usually about a minute or two apart, crossing the part of the sky the high walls of the canyon allow you to see.

Irene has some trouble keeping her fire from being blown away and scattering into the wind when the door closes behind them, leaving them to face the full force of the winds of the canyon. But with some effort and concentration, she manages to retain it and not loose any significant amount.

"The surrounding area should be clear. But clear is not safe. This world itself is a danger. Especially as we move away from the Relay and its influence."

The canyon floor has a great downward slope, getting much deeper and darker the further away you move from the structure behind you.
Alan wastes no time with walking, instead choosing to roll down with his race-car bed, wearing his wooden shutter shades, like something out of rapper video parody. He doesn't care too much about River shouting at him to stop or running after him. After all, he is an expert driver. Even though this thing has plastic wheels and no steering wheel, suspension (other than the springs of the mattress), way to know where he is going or way to stop. Yep, those vibrations and that hellish noise of plastic banging against rock and plastic is surely an indication that he is doing something right.
Amazingly, Alan manages to roll down a great distance without injuring himself before the wheels get so worn and broken the "vehicle" slows down and then comes to a stop.

He seems to have arrived at a more flat section of the canyon. One that is also very, very dark, so much so that he can barely see. On the bright side (no pun intended), there's less wind down here and thus more silence and less irritation. He can see the rest of the group of the group quickly making their way towards him, following the trail of broken plastic he has left behind him. The balls of fire near them are very easy to spot.

When River finally catches up to him, he gives him an angry look (or at least tries the best he can as he stands there panting, trying to catch his breath).
"Do you want to get yourself killed? Alert every parasite and predator in the vicinity?"
He continues a bit calmer.
"Be more careful. For our sake and yours."

The rest of the group reach them soon after and together they continue making their way towards their destination. The light from Irene's fire reveals that the area you are going through is much wider. The floor of the canyon is littered with a large number of small rocks that make walking a bit uncomfortable, with huge rocks closer to the canyon walls. The canyon walls themselves are highly irregular, like someone broke great pieces off of them with a giant hammer. When the occasional lightning strike illuminates the area further from you, you can see that the canyon gets even wider further ahead, to the point where it is no longer a canyon. At that point, large rock has broken off from the side of the canyon, creating a small barrier in your path that you'll have to walk around.

((Final chance to do things before you reach the portal.))

OOC
((You could have confetti rain down for an inexplicable reason.))
Inexplicable Confetti Rain. Sounds like a Forgotten Art spell.

I read prosperous as preposterous. Lol.
Bake yourself a cake Paris.
Mmm... Good idea. Haven't made a cake for at least a year. Don't think I have the ingredients for it though... Eh, I got a slightly stale chocolate muffin I can stick in the microwave and make it filled with delicious molten chocolate bits. That will work.

And I think all RTDs are by nature preposterous. Varying levels of preposterous, but still preposterous.

((I can't even determine what entities there are in the first place, but that sounds like a good idea.))
It's all there in the first post. Well, the entities that are participating in the games, anyway.

Entity shipping grid.
((!!This!!))
((I wholeheartedly approve of this.))
My first thought when I read shipping grid was "But what kind of package would one send an entity?"
I have no idea what that is, but a quick search reveals it is either a way to keep track of known and possible relationships and/or love triangles/rectangles/non-eucledian shapes or some kind of weird grid used in some kind of extended poker where date, star-sign of players and various other hidden rules and factors determine the suit of a card. More search reveals this which helps explain things better.

Unfortunately, I'm not doing that. First of all, too much effort. Not too much free time right now. I'd have to read and think hard of how to best categorize a relationship using strict terms. Plus it wouldn't be complete, since there are entities and people that are not part of the games. And fourth, I like people to discover things on their own IC. (Partly because I like having people ask and learn about things overtime instead of having walls of infodumps and exposition, partly because such things might be plot related or pertaining to alternate choices possible within a mission (which means that by giving you OOC information I am giving you the temptation to metagame in certain situations and giving you an advantage you haven't worked for), partly a remnant of the original concept of the game (a game where people participate in missions trying to complete objectives, with caring about the reasons behind them being optional (not that I do not like making up little (and big) stories about things in missions (in fact, I often make small stories about the origin of objects, locations and NPCs you find (partly because some powers could potentially care about those details, partly because it can lead to a related mission, partly because it can lead to things you can use I haven't thought of), some chit chat between NPCs about local and world events (people tend to not be stealthy enough for that to come up) and other things like that so that I have some sort of world building to provide (that picture NAV got being a small example of that). But a good GM should try not to shove his world building and stories into people throats (I try to be more of a Darths & Droids GM than a DM of the Rings GM (That means leaving more freedom to the players to act and influence the world and less railroading in pursuit of the GMs fantasies of perfect stories (one of the reasons I think River is a good choice for a guide for a mission, because he gives choices and possible objectives, thus solving the "people don't like too much freedom" problem but also allows you to mostly do whatever you want (within reason) and doesn't bore you with too many details, unless you ask for them. (Then again, maybe it would be better if I just had NPCs ramble about world details and provide exposition since people don't tend to ask too many questions. And having stories with no way to share them is kind of like having an itch you cannot scratch. But I digress. (In fact, I used to be a professional digressor, but I don't want to get off track, so I'll tell you about the time I was a professional digressor.)))))))))[/longjokeusedtoexcuseself]

But I guess if you really want to, I could give you a suggestion for a question to ask or a line of questioning to pursue that could provide some information on the subject. Or you could just be blunt and ask about it directly.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: November 02, 2014, 08:45:40 pm »

Campaign - Totally Radical

Man, being careful never kept anyone alive.

Alan ignores the voices of everyone who died horribly via recklessness shouting at him, including his own, twice over.

Though it is a shame that I can't use my wonderful bed anymore. I guess I'll have to improvise! But if I go too fast those rude octopi might spot me, like that out-of-shape black fox spirit thingy told me. Hmm. I need a disguise.

Do I have any sharp things on my person? A knife or something? If not, call up one of those and a cardboard box. Cut eyeholes in the box and pull a Metal Gear by creeping about everywhere under the box.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 11:58:01 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: November 02, 2014, 11:41:42 pm »

((Nyars entity, then!  No, I have no idea how that'd work ingame either.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: November 03, 2014, 12:22:03 am »

((Note: I'm going to be unavailable for the next couple days, so am going to make this post have a lot of If:then statements so you can keep going without me for a couple turns.))

Irine, Campaign

En-route to portal:
When we move to leave, I collect my flames into five evenly distributed spheres, one of these remains over my head or otherwise near me as I move, the other four spread out, slowly spiraling and circling around the entire group as a whole, and arcing down to strike any threats. the one near me I further subdivide into five parts as needed, and have them move to strike at any parasites that get in the middle of the group.
If we come to a small dark area I will light it with a perimiter orb or two as we move through/near it. If we come to a large dark area I will take a small section of the interior sphere and scatter it into a large array of tiny motes and sparks of flame, making the entire area around us glow.
At all times I'm attempting to continue to collect additional flames, increasing the firepower I have available and using it to form additional perimeter orbs of fire, using the bodies of parasites or other threats as fuel.
Action unchanged
Spoiler: large set of if-thens (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 521