Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1077015 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: At Doom's Gate
« Reply #2955 on: November 17, 2014, 08:25:33 am »

((I'm going to have limited net access this week, may or may not be able to post, don't know yet.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2956 on: November 18, 2014, 01:26:05 pm »

Campaign

Campaign

You're losing blood, foxman? Why didn't you say so?

Bandages!
At River. His injured bits.

A giant pile of gauze-like cloth materializes in front of you.
River looks at it and then at you.
"Thank you?" You aren't sure if he sounds grateful, surprised, angry or just tired.
He looks at something behind him before he bends down and starts attempting to cut a strip off with his teeth and his one good arm. Following his eyes, you notice that one of the yellow octopus things there has started moving towards you.

Campaign

"On it, Irene!"

Follow through and rearrange some of the shields to block the portal behind us. Leave a small portion of the shields for emergency defense of our group. Keep moving along with the majority of the group.
Just building a small temporary wall around it, I assume?
Yes, preferably with low energy usage if possible. If not, then just circle it with a small amount of shields, not anything too big.
You start arranging your shields around the section of the portal closest to you, aiming to block it off, or at least force anyone coming through it to either break through them or go around them. The area has plenty of light, both of natural and supernatural origin, so energy is not a very big concern.

When you are almost done, you accidentally touch the portal with one of your shields. The portal expands, enveloping the shield inside it. And that causes it to touch another shield.
You manage to pull the rest of the shields back, unwilling to find out how far that domino effect would allow the portal to expand, especially considering it's only a couple of metres away from you and the rest of the team.

Your wall is looking OK. Not the sturdiest of things, not one of your best jobs. Weren't too concentrated while working on it. But it would buy you at least half a minute, maybe more.

You notice that one of the octopus things has started moving towards your general direction from the south, although it's moving uncertainly, wobbling, not moving directly towards you.

A few seconds later though, it's moving towards you at full speed. Probably has something to do with that light show.

Campaign
Go tsar-slash the nearest sword zombie and take it's sword and give it to Alan.
You start walking towards one of the swordsmen near the northeast and raise your sword, trying your best to avoid getting too close to any of the creatures. Looks like the swordsman has his back turned on you. Now you just need a good strike.

Even though you make a not-bad swing, you once again fail to achieve embiggenment. You end up doing nothing more than slashing at empty space. Frowning, you try again.

You mess up your timing and end up enlarging the sword too soon. Even though it doesn't get too large, the increased weight results in increased momentum. The increased momentum makes it harder for you to hold on to the sword. It slides out of your grip and clatters on the ground about halfway between you and the swordsman. Better than the sword dragging you to the floor with it, you reason.

The swordsman turns to face the sword. He starts walking towards it. And then stops after a few flashes of red light come from behind you.

"Well, that's simple enough for me to handle."
I look at the exhausted River and nod once, then turn back to the room.
"Zech, could you make crystals to block the portal and anything that might chase us?"
again, split up my flames into many partially-effective segments, and send them out seeking targets. priority 1 is anything that would make a good fuel source... like that wooden door. second priority is any slaves or parasites that have noticed our presence. third is armed slaves. fourth is isolated parasites/slaves. lowest priority is groups of distracted parasites... I probably want to avoid those completely if I can.
We can't go hunting until River is ready, and this place seems like a project to me. This city will burn, and the parasites with it.
Is this portal fueled by fire or the three fire sources around it? that would explain the pulsing... or maybe something else...
One easy way to find out I suppose.

Collect additional flames from the fire sources already in the room, if weakening the flames weakens the portal, then take them in their entirity to shut it down, but if it seems unaffected then leave the source-flames so I can constantly collect everything I can from them in addition to the wooden door and anything else I can find to burn.
I need to keep gaining momentum... I'm going to need such a massive amount of fire to do what I have to do...
I hope I can control it right, I'm scared what will happen if I try it and lose control since I can get burned now...

Action unchanged. Sieze all the fire from the claws, and keep taking it as the claws draw from the reserve power, burn things that seem flammable, and scatter my fires out to begin cleansing the room.
You attempt to move the magical fire being emitted by the three claws. The best thing you can manage is distort the streams a bit. Unlike normal fire, they slip through your grasp like water, resisting change, attempting to maintain their original direction of movement, as if there is something pushing them towards the portal.

Frustrated, you attempt to use more power, creating a pyrokinetic "wind" that attempts to move all fire in the area in a specific direction. The torrents of fire start diverging, the purple one less than the red ones. The portal starts wobbling like a flame in the wind, loosing its cohesion.

You put every ounce of power and concentration you have into your attempt to drain fire from the portal, letting all other fire in your control dissipate. Just as you manage to cause the the torrents to break contact with the portal completely and it begins to disintegrate, a wavy line of bright red light escapes from three of the alcoves in the walls of the room. The three beams of red light each make their way towards one of the claws, breaking apart into smaller beams. They hit the claws across the side facing away from the portal at equidistant spots. Wherever the beams hit, a small eruption of fire occurs and the claws glow blindingly bright for an instant. Many of the parasites clinging to the claw get burnt or blown away and fall to the ground, exposing parts of it. The ones swarming around the claws immediately try to take their place.

When it is over, the torrent of fire produced by the claws has grown even stronger, the portal actually looking larger and more stable now. Zechariah manages to pull his wall further back in time to avoid having it transported away. You manage to gather a few scraps of fire that were left over from the explosions, pushed upwards towards the ceiling by your power.

It looks like your little stunt has attracted the attention of many of the parasites in the room. They start making their way towards you.

River looks away from his attempt to cut a bandage for himself.
"Why do you want to close this portal so badly?" he asks with a hint of anger in his voice as he gets up and starts walking towards you.

((I'd say lifting his nose up to sniff the air would be an Ike thing to do, yes.))

Campaign, Ike!

"I see! That explains everything, I suppose. Well then, let us cheese it most verily."

Sword ready, look impressive, do samurai-style walk out of the room. Prepare to dodge.
You charge ahead alone, ready to kick some octopus ass.
Wait, do octopuses have asses?

You easily pass through the first few octopuses, swinging your sword at them and cutting a few limbs. The octopuses don't seem to like that. Many of them start making their way towards you. That number increases after a few flashes of light coming from behind you agitate every octopus in the room. And probably beyond that.

"Oh my god, he just went in."
"Stick to the plan! Stick to the plan!"

Staging Area

"Unfortunately not. I come from a colony city at gas giant 2b4a-428342, brought by an interstellar transport during the colonization initiative after WWIV ravaged Earth. We were actually supposed to be sent to one of the habitable moons, but the transport screwed up an left us at the gas giant instead. Anyway, that was about a thousand eye are before my time and I really only know about it due to digging around in the main computer to see I could find something to blackmail the governor with so he would increase my resource allocation. So yeah, I don't really understand your reference, sorry.
"Ah, I see. Oh well, it was a nice setup at least. Served its purpose."
The image in the screen fades out and an image of you falling fades in.
"I just have my assistant bring to me anyone he thinks I would like, so I don't really do any sort of background checks. I think it's more fun that way, don't you? I mean, sure, I could just read all the info about you, but an interview is more personal, you know? Lets you learn more things. And it allows you to do cool setups like theses. One thing I always say is 'Never underestimate the importance of theatricality.' "
The image of you falling is replaced by an image made of black and green question marks.
"Speaking of learning about things, if you have any questions during this interview feel free to ask. Or if there's something I could bring you, for that matter. Something to eat, something to drink? Any final wishes?"

"Otherwise, I'm really just interested in learning more about you, to see if you would be suitable for the position. Past experience, hopes and aspirations, why you think you're the best man for the job, where do you see yourself in 5 years, stuff like that."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: November 18, 2014, 01:29:05 pm »

What's holding Team Survival back?  Campaign has had four turns since our last one.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2958 on: November 18, 2014, 01:36:29 pm »

What's holding Team Survival back?  Campaign has had four turns since our last one.
Only two people have posted an action, unless I missed anyone.
I guess I could just auto the rest.
Yeah, I'll auto them for next turn if nobody else posts. You're right, it's been a long time.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: November 18, 2014, 01:41:04 pm »

((Yeah, give survival a chance!
I think Paris got interested after Alan started doing useful stuff for once.))

Campaign

Alan frowns and assumes a power-up stance. He begins jiggling.

Once the parasites get sufficiently close for me to aim at them, begin firing fridges at them.

((The video's rather long, but the relevant bit is at the very beginning. You'll know it when you see it.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: November 18, 2014, 01:52:11 pm »

((Yeah, give survival a chance!
I think Paris got interested after Alan started doing useful stuff for once.))

((Yeah, that is fascinating.  Can't blame him for that.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: November 18, 2014, 02:29:58 pm »

Campaign, Ike!

"You know, guys, I think we should really be leaving as rapidly as inhumanly possible! And not be mowing down hordes of yellow land octopuses and affiliated things."

Dang it, did I say slash at anything? I said walk out of the dang room! In as cool a manner as possible!

Get to it, but abandon coolness and instead cheese it as quickly as possible while still keeping avoidance of danger strongly in mind. Only slash at things if I can't go around them.

Or, if nobody else seems to be running, silly buggers that they are, regroup with main bunch and assist these comically inept people. Defending Alan is a priority, followed by Nikolai, then the others in no particular order.

Spoiler: IkeNotes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:04:21 pm by Harry Baldman »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: November 18, 2014, 05:01:16 pm »

Campaign
I think my power hates me.
Stop fucking up. Get the sword back and slash the zombie properly.

Edit:
Timing is difficult. Try pointing the sword above the zombies head, then tsar and let it fall on him like a guillotine. That way I won't have to time it as carefully.
Also repair the blade to its full sharpness when I tsar.
If I can't get my sword back, use my knife instead. If I'm using a knife, do a standard tsar-slash rather than a guillotine slash.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:00:19 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: November 18, 2014, 07:35:38 pm »

((Um, I don't want it closed that badly. I saw it as a resource and didn't account for it refusing to enter my control. what happened to the rest of my action?))

((Limited time, and going to have trouble posting. auto me as needed until I post again please.))

EDITING IN ACTION:
Perform the rest of last turn's action, everything up to the very last part about the magical, and apparently inaccessable, flames, which I might as well ignore.

((I honestly cannot RP my response to River because I don't know why I did that either.))
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:07:03 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2964 on: November 20, 2014, 09:43:49 am »

Survival

Try to get in one of the abandoned houses. If I can, keep an eye on the rest of the group.
All of the houses here look pretty much the same, just a two storey thing mostly made out of wood, so you just choose one of the closest ones at random. You approach it and get in through a broken window, watching with one eye through the rotten curtains as the enemy car approaches the rest of the team.

The inside of the house is very nice, even in this state of disrepair. It's one of those higher class houses that were built closer to the "good" side of the island, away from the centre and the docks. The fact that the police station used to be nearby probably helped too. Nothing like the tenements closer to downtown.

The area your are currently in is a living room-dining room-kitchen hybrid that takes up most of the bottom floor. An area close to the window you went through that was probably meant to entertain guests or hold entertainment like a radio or record player, another area that was meant to have a table for the family to eat on and a kitchen on the other side of the room, with some cupboards and a stove that has escaped the looters, along with an exit towards the back of the house.
Most of the furniture in the room are missing, except for a sofa and a broken dining table.
There's also a stairway leading up to the second floor, the entrance hallway and some kind of storage area.

The floorboards have started to rot near the broken windows, where moisture, sunlight and rain have been allowed to enter. Hopefully no rats will jump out at you from there. Because a house like this is probably infested. That's probably why those cats are here.

Yes, there's a couple of cats here, sitting on the sofa. One is pitch black except for a white spot near his neck and one is a grey and white tiger pattern. The tiger-patterned one is frightened by your presence and quickly jumps off the sofa and out a window. It makes its way through the open window of the house next door. The house with that person that seems to have very dull emotions. You can see light coming from somewhere further inside it.

Survival

Sense the thing I made; if it's a reliable weapon, use it at the approaching car.  If it just needs a little patching, fix it first.

If it's hopeless, just fire a few rounds at the oncoming car then duck back into cover.

How's the leg feel?

You make your way towards the wreckage and take cover behind them.

Leg still feels numb and you can't move it. Feels like for all intents and purposes it has been cut off. Even though you sometimes feel a pulse of pain coming from it.

As for the thing you summoned, you assume that the vials would break and then the rock will somehow cause the liquid inside them to catch fire. It's construction seems good enough, even though it looks a bit hard to use. You could probably make it more efficient and reliable by removing the vials and just wrapping them around a piece of cloth that you then lit on fire with your newly summoned lighter. So you do just that.

You concentrate on the mental image of the object projected in your mind by your ability and then imagine it shifting, the parts of the metal holding the vials opening. That's when your limited telekinesis kicks in, slowly deforming the metal it helped shape. You gather the vials, rip one of the pockets of your uniform off, break one of the vials to soak it in whatever is inside them and put the rest of the vials in it.

Survival

Crawl back to cover where the group is. Try to grab my legs if those are on the way. If legs have been grabbed, try to attach them back on. Any enemy in range gets blasted/stabbed in the face.
You Terminator-crawl your way out of the wreckage and the dead thugs and make your way around them, towards John. A man leans out of the window of the oncoming car and shoots at you a couple of times with his pistol, but he doesn't manage to hit anything. Once in cover, you remove your legs from under the wreckage and examine them.

It looks like they were trapped in place, their toe cap embedded in the ground (you can tell by the small divot they have created) and then hit by a sharp point of the car's frame somewhere near the thigh, resulting in them both being bent (and thus weakened) and being pulled away from your torso as you were pushed forward.

You could try to put the two broken pieces together, but there would be nothing to hold them together. You'd need something to reconnect the pieces, something like a welder, maybe.

Quote from: Everyone else:autoaction
Take cover and attack any enemy in range.

Combat
Once the car is close enough, John lights his pocket on fire (not the one still in his uniform, the one he has ripped off), stands up and with a shot that would be the envy of every professional pitcher, he shoots it straight at the car, through the wind-shield and at the driver. The driver bursts into flames. To anyone watching, it would probably look like he just threw a fireball at it. John then gets back into cover and spends several seconds trying to extinguish his hand, since some of the fuel has seeped through the pocket and onto his palm.

Saevus observes what happens next. The panicking driver is unable to focus on driving (or extinguishing himself for that matter) as he flails around the driver seat, his screams reaching you. The men riding along with him don't look like they are doing much better. The car keeps moving, swerving a bit left and right. With one well placed telekinetic pull, Saevus is able to cause the car to fall to its side and come to an abrupt halt.

The fire will continue spreading. Assuming they are too stunned to come out, they should burn to death soon, along with the car.

OOC
((Um, I don't want it closed that badly.
I saw it as a resource and didn't account for it refusing to enter my control.
what happened to the rest of my action?))
A. I had to interpret your actions and your rolls somehow. That was the interpretation that I thought was closest to what you wanted (since I thought closing the portal and protecting the humans of this city was more important to your character, based on what she told Zechariah) and that I thought complied to your posted actions.
B. It didn't refuse to enter your control. There is simply something much more powerful controlling it. It's like trying to change the wind. Or like trying to stop a car that still has its engine running by pushing it really hard. The driver can always push the gas pedal and make your effort meaningless.
C. I sometimes run actions in small chunks to give you a chance to react to things, talk, change your plans, tell me how badly I've misinterpreted your actions, all those stuff. I thought it was a good time to pause.

Dang it, did I say slash at anything? I said walk out of the dang room! In as cool a manner as possible!
Oh, I thought Samurai style walk involved swords. Because samurais are known for their swords. And swords are cool.
Because googling samurai walk only provided videos of people walking on their knees and I assumed you did not want that, even though it would probably be more funny to write.
And I needed a way to interpret that 6 for avoiding octopuses and the sword thing was the most obvious choice. You avoided them perfectly but also agitated them.
Did you mean ninja? As in "as stealthy and invisible as a ninja"?
Oh well, it's not like it would change too much.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:46:14 am by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: November 20, 2014, 01:00:31 pm »

Survival

"Right, let's get the hell out of here.  Zero, where the hell are we supposed to be going from here?   Where's our evac point?"
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:32:04 pm by Toaster »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: November 20, 2014, 01:06:16 pm »

Oh, I thought Samurai style walk involved swords. Because samurais are known for their swords. And swords are cool.
Because googling samurai walk only provided videos of people walking on their knees and I assumed you did not want that, even though it would probably be more funny to write.
And I needed a way to interpret that 6 for avoiding octopuses and the sword thing was the most obvious choice. You avoided them perfectly but also agitated them.
Did you mean ninja? As in "as stealthy and invisible as a ninja"?
Oh well, it's not like it would change too much.

((What I meant was basically walk forward in this sort of hovering, sideways theatrical fashion while maintaining this position, but I can see how that might not be the immediate association, and I simply thought nothing of it at the time of writing.

Although walking on my knees sounds pretty fun. Have to look that up at some point.

Most of the complaint is just me being irritable, and you can freely ignore that. I'm just kind of a control freak, and this sort of thing tends to set me off more than it probably should.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: November 20, 2014, 02:08:04 pm »

((Closing the portal is important, but it's a short-term goal, not an immediate goal. Priority 1 right now is collecting firepower for later use. I'm going to need a very large amount for some of the stunts I want to pull off. Zech's walling off the portal is close enough to closing it for now. Once the room is clear and the area is secure I can settle down to targeting, draining, and crushing/smelting the tablets being used as power sources one by one.))

((My net should be stabilized for the rest of this week, going to destabilize again next Tuesday.))

"Not... yet..."

Perform the rest of last turn's action, everything up to the very last part about the magical, and apparently inaccessable, flames, which I might as well ignore.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:08:43 pm by Lenglon »

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: November 20, 2014, 02:42:06 pm »

Campaign

Zechariah backed up, noticing the octopus that was hurtling towards him at the moment. He put his staff up defensively and focused his mind on converting more light to a hardlight formation to defend himself. He couldn't keep up a constant defense for long, however; Movement was key to keeping the group alive.

"I agree, we have to move before more of them start piling up on us. Let's go!"

Keep moving along with the rest of the group and keep a small amount of hardlight shields around me, just in case we need a quick defense.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: November 20, 2014, 05:04:06 pm »

Keep an eye on the group and follow them if they move. Stay out of sight of anyone not in the group
((I will be unavailable for the weekend, just a notice.))
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 521