Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1073595 times)

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: In the line of fire
« Reply #3765 on: March 27, 2015, 03:35:50 pm »

"Holy shit, what are we against, commies? Americans? This is not fun, not fun at all..."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:29:44 am by akkudakku »

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: March 27, 2015, 04:02:50 pm »

((So what, did I roll 3 1s in a row to get that kind of negatives?))
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: March 27, 2015, 04:17:46 pm »

Saevus looks at John with a look that could only be understood as disapproval. How he can give someone a look of disapproval when he doesn't really have a face, his face-equivalent being a helmet with no facial features and other things important for visual communication, you ask? I have absolutely no idea.

"I certainly hope so."

Still, I'd like to have something to deter possible poking. Summon the biggest crossbow I can and load it up. Fire at anything that pokes (or attempts to (or looks like it might)) anything.

Saevus is basically using the poking as an excuse to amuse himself. This waiting is terribly boring. And the fact that there's a battle raging over there and he can't join in is irritating.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: March 27, 2015, 11:12:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: March 28, 2015, 12:22:20 am »

Spoiler: Take two (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: March 28, 2015, 04:28:11 am »

EDIT: Edit fail. Disregard.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:30:13 am by akkudakku »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3771 on: March 29, 2015, 09:54:41 pm »

Campaign

"No. I'm not suicidal. I have even less reason to trust you than you do me. I'm just going to have to hope that you keep your word. Could you please teach me the basic principals of how magic works in this world?"
My shame and guilt quickly fading, a touch of anger colors my words.
"Well, you can't blame me for trying." he says, raising his shoulders. "It's what every good man in my position would do."
He looks thoughtful for a few seconds and starts stroking with his beard again. He puts his hands on the table and looks at you again.
"Well then... The basics of magic... The basics of magic is the basics of the elements.
I assume you know the basic elements, from what I understand you have mages where you come from. So you should know the 4 Primary Material elements, Earth opposed to Wind, Fire opposed to Water."

He picks up the board and starts drawing on it again, occasionally glancing up at you.
"Then there are the two Secondary Material elements, one of them referred to as Life or Growth and the other known as Death or Motion. Those are a bit lesser known inside our borders. I do not know if you have heard of them before."

"Then we have the four Primary Conceptual elements, Order opposed to Chaos and Light opposed to Darkness. Those are much lesser known, even though they play an important part in more powerful spells. Probably because non-Material elements are much rarer as primary affinities."

"Now, this knowledge I'm about to give you is not known by many. I am going to trust you with this. So try to not spread it around carelessly."
He sets the board down and looks at you again.
"There are the two Secondary Conceptual elements, Time and Space. Previously we knew of those only through the discoveries of our greatest in divination, the ones that managed to catch their faint threads. Some say there was knowledge of what exactly they were and how to use them, it was just not shared with all of us. I don't know, I was not ranked high enough to know for certain at the time. But in the past few years some quite wondrous objects have arrived from the northern kingdoms bearing the magic of those elements."
He is talking a bit more quickly now.
"In fact, I had the good fortune to research one of those objects myself. Some sort of container they used to transport a large amount of food in a smaller volume, keeping them unspoilt at the same time. The magic inside it was incredible. I've made quite detailed notes on it, I think we could replicate it with a few mages cooperating. The ritual would be hard though, you'd need a set of conflicting emotions and a very powerful source of magical flow."

"I believe the Tower sent an envoy a few months ago to work on an exchange of information with the northern kingdom, a way to gain more knowledge about this sort of magic. And of course they also want to find out how such powerful objects have gotten to the hands of traders. Have they discovered a new source of power, perhaps something as powerful as Stodir? Has a new shift occurred and if so why haven't we seen it?"

"Very nasty job if you ask me, trading between mages. Like trading locked boxes. You get promises of their contents but no guarantees. I don't know, maybe it's because of my element. And... you're probably not interested in any of this."
He shakes his head slightly and then picks up the board and starts drawing on it again.
"You'll have to excuse me, I haven't had the chance to talk to anyone about these sorts of things recently."

"Then there are the two Combined elements, Mind and Soul, Potential and Energy, Balance and Imbalance, Drive and Imagination. Not quite material, not quite conceptual, but a mix of the two, very versatile, very volatile yet resistant to change at the same time, able to emulate many other elements. And they have been very hard to research, as if they actively try to confuse us. Despite that, we have developed a few spells and magical objects that use them."
He stops drawing and uses the edge of the point of the writing implement he's using to point at the flame hovering inside the lantern.
"This little creature here for example is of the Balance element, modified by our magic to serve as a source of light and heat. We don't know exactly how it works, but we understand it well enough to control it."

"And finally the two primordial elements. Creation against Destruction, Existence against Nonexistence, Essence against Void. Many people acknowledge those as elements in religion, they acknowledge their role in the existence of our universe. (I don't know if that's the case in the place you come from.) But few non-mages realise that there is more to this, that they are not strictly spiritual things, related to the realm of gods. They are elements of their own but very special ones, very different from the others, very rare. Everything flows from them and their power can be tremendous. We know of nobody that has them as their primary affinity and very few can use them directly. The best way to control them or bring them into existence is through Shadow and Light magic, since they are directly connected to them, and even that is hard and not always works."

"Void magic in particular is considered to be very dangerous to everything around it, since it slowly destroys everything. It can be contained and like all primordial elements it quickly dissipates without constant supervision, especially when in contact with powerful elemental flows. But if someone comes across powerful void magic or is caught unaware, there is little they can do. And the worst thing about it is that one of the ways Void magic can come to existence is from the overuse of magic inside an area, the kind of thing more powerful mages can do if they are not careful or if they try to cast a potent spell quickly and without the appropriate preparation. Once the Void starts feeding off the flow in an area, it can cause a chain reaction that can result in widespread destruction. It has historically been used by the evilest and most destructive of mages. As such, any unsanctioned use of it is dealt with quickly and effectively. There was even an alliance made between the kingdoms to fight a particularly dangerous darkness mage in the past."

"The creatures you claim emerged from that portal had quite potent Void magic in them, a fact I found quite alarming. For a moment I thought those preaching about the Apocalypse might have been right. That is one of the reasons I am not as angry with you as I should be. All the destruction you did might have done some good."

"Now, I know those are- Oh, hold on a second, I know."
He stars searching around near the desk until he pulls out a disk made out of multiple layers of stone and metal, with a few carved stones and glass-like orbs arranged among grooves on its top. You notice that all of the outside carvings are made out of the transparent material while most of the inner are made out of the stone-like material.
Spoiler: Disk (click to show/hide)
"Now, the magic in this thing was damaged during the explosion, but it still works as a visual aid. The material elements are on the outside ring and the conceptual on the inside, with the primordial in the centre. It was supposed to be a detector for magical energies, detecting their type and intensity. Not all of them, we couldn't get it to work with all of them, even getting it to work as well as we did took four others working alongside me for quite some time. And it had some flaws, getting it to stop detecting its own energies, getting confused by high magical flow in an area... Once we figured out how to fix all the flaws in it we hoped we could make a machine to mass produce it, use it to make finding potential magic users or illegal spells easier, it would really-"
He shows you his palms and shakes his head a bit.
"I'll try to stop myself from going off on tangents."

"Now there are a few things that novices frequently misunderstand."

"There are two elements to the usage of the elements."
He smiles a bit at his small joke.
"Magic is not a force within you, something static that you can release any time you want and direct it to do your bidding. Magic is not only power. Yes, there is power within all of us, but there is another equally important aspect of magic: flow. The power within you moves constantly, creating streams that interact with the world and get changed by it in turn. That is why you sometimes get a feeling that something is wrong, even though you can't sense it with your normal senses. The most powerful of diviners can deduce someone's feelings and motives simply by looking at how their flow of magical energy shifts, some say."

"You can see that in the materials used for enchantments. Most materials can be enchanted and each have different properties, but the two materials used most commonly in our kingdom (and are thus particularly prized by our miners) are Power Stones and Focusing Crystals. Power Stones are quite useful for storing power and it is quite easy to put simple enchantments in them, their magic quite stable. However they are not as good at letting magic flow through them. Once the natural magic stored in them is expended they become hard to use and even harder to recharge. Essence Stones are the most powerful but also the most rare, since they are easily tainted by the magic flowing through them, making them very hard to recharge."

"On the other hand Focusing Crystals can contain little magic and they are particularly hard to enchant but can cause a large amount of magic to flow through them, meaning that in places where the natural flow of magic is strong they can greatly amplify a spell's strength. Not to mention what happens if one tries to charge them. All enchanted materials become unstable if overburdened, but Focusing Crystals are especially susceptible to this. On the other hand, Focusing Crystals have the peculiar property of being able to grow when enough magic flows through them, allowing older crystals that survive long enough to become extremely powerful. An Essence Crystal is the most useful magical object a mage can have, since it allows them to use almost every form of magical flow to augment whatever spell they are casting, even flows that would be naturally opposed to the element they are using."

"Those properties of enchantable materials is why most powerful magic objects tend to be composed of a combination of materials, which tends to make the work of amateurs multicoloured, shiny, glowing and unstable. It takes a master craftsman working with a master enchanter to create something great. The moral is, if you want a good enchantment, look for something that looks mundane. 'Not all that shines is gold', as they say."

"Magic is not a tool. It is part of the world and part of yourself. Something both physical and mental. And it goes both ways, the magic affects and is affected, both by your thoughts, your body, your environment, your innate magic. Physical things and magical things. The way you think, your emotions, the way your body moves, the shapes it creates, even the clothes you wear, those can all potentially affect the way the magic flows within you and around you."

"The boy that brought you here for example, Rovan. He is not very powerful, so for the few days I've had him in my tutelage I've been trying to push him to be angry, the easiest mindset to reach for maximizing the flow of Fire magic, so that it will come more naturally to him and be easier to use. Gods know he needs some strength with the way things are now. Unfortunately his demeanour and combination of elements is not helping. And I can't simply tell him to change his emotions or even why. Knowledge is not enough for the initiate, in fact it can cause more harm than good. It's better for him if he were to cast a dangerous spell instinctively due to his emotions than if he was given knowledge he was not ready for."

"That is one of the most important aspects of magic the accomplished mage learns. For a good mage can channel thoughts and emotions related to their element, let them consume him so that he can cast the most powerful of spells. But the better mage, the truly powerful mage, he uses his thoughts and emotions, he controls them without letting them control him. He thinks and feels whatever is necessary for him to do what needs to be done. Or maybe it's because my element is more on the ordered side of the scale."

"Another thing to understand is that just because an element is named 'Fire" or 'Water', it does not mean that that is what it is all about. They may be called that for convenience's sake, but as you've seen there are elements with many names. That is because they are forces of this world. Their use relies in understanding them. Almost everything living has an element it is strong at, an element that flows through them more easily, an element that matches their minds, their bodies and the magic inside them. An element that is more easy for them to understand and thus more easy to use to its full extend. Those are called affinities. And they can change over time, depending on circumstances both internal and external. For example, the order in me is much stronger in me than it was when I first began my training, becoming almost as string as the fire inside me. I feel like I have moved much closer to the Divine Essence."
He coughs a bit, lets down the board he was drawing on and gets up.

"It's been a long time since I've made a lecture like this."
He takes a waterskin and drinks from it.
"Any need for clarifications or questions before I ask my own?"

Campaign, Ike!

What kind of potatoes? Raw, fried, boiled, sauteed, pureed, whipped, chopped, whisked, burnt, hot, cold, green, blue, etiolated, growing, dying, fresh, rotten?

Oh, and continue to listen. These guys are pretty funny.

((Rotten Potatoes could be a great name for a site with parodies of reviews of movies.))

You're pretty sure they're not as fresh as they should be. They're probably at this state where they're still edible but will start to have green things growing on them soon.

"'Obvious'? You're talking about the whole our home was destroyed and most of the people I know are dead? About how we might all die at any moment problem, I suppose? Or about what happened with the military? No, why would I be feeling bad about any of that?"[/sarcasm]
"Oh, no, I'm not talking about that."
"Huh? You're not?"
"Yes, no, the thing I'm talking about is your enormous weight. I can't understand how someone as fat as you can stay upright."
"You little-"
"No seriously, how did you manage to get that thing? There was (and still is) a bloody food shortage. Spending all your time in the pub, are y- Ouch."
"Next one is going to be with my sword."
"If you can catch me."
*quiet*
"Really though, what did you do? You're a Guardsman, right? Took some money under the table? Or is your dad rich and you just joined the Guardsmen to spite him or-"
*sound of sword being unsheathed*
"I swear to Krolm, one more word about my family and I'll use this on you."
*quiet*
"Speaking of drinks, do you think we could find any?"
"Seriously?"

Campaign

You could say that up to this point, Zechariah had been in a sort of unconscious trance. He was simply saying what came to his mind, voicing his inner thoughts. That's what he had learned to do, really. If he did not do that, bad things began to form in his mind. In this way, perhaps he would be able to help both River and himself to accomplish the task at hand. It just required him to empty what was on his mind and to form a new energy in his total being.

But River had crossed the line. River went down the river of his consciousness and plucked at all of the strings that he could find. He had pressed all of the buttons, broken the last straw - whatever metaphor you wish to use to describe what he was doing to Zechariah. Whether intentional or unintentional, River ignited Zechariah's passionate side once again. It was something that he was only barely holding onto; something that  he had almost lost when he broke his mental ties with Artemis. When he had fallen into the void. When he decided that he was going to end it once and for all.

This was his passion.

"What?!" Zechariah pushed himself off of the ground and whirled around, staring straight into River's eyes. He didn't fear River anymore. There was only anger in his own mind. He could feel himself starting to become unstable again. "You're telling me, of all people, that I just want to give up? That I'm going to just leave it all in the dust, because I don't have anyone I care for anymore? Because I never planned to wake up again?" He was beginning to shiver ever-so-slightly, as if a cold breeze had just suddenly overtaken the summit of the mount that they were standing upon. A low, energetic glow highlighted his irises, the energy surging back into Zechariah. "To even insinuate that I would do that - just give up - is absolutely absurd! I've spent a quarter of my life fighting the Shadows, constantly looking for new ways to suppress the forces that threatened to destroy the multiverse that I came from. I fought, I talked, I consoled, I befriended, I rivaled, I did everything that I could to take up any persona that was necessary! I wanted to help. I wanted to help whoever I could. I wanted to nurture and care for as many lives as possible. I wanted to be a friend for those in need and a hand for those who have fallen. I wanted to give others the joy of life that I could never have!"

He lets that hang in the air for several moments before recollecting his thoughts and beginning another rant. "That's it. That's really it. I don't really know all of these people. I mean, I know their names: Theri, Irine, Ike, Jordan... but I don't know their whole life stories. I don't know where they've been or what they've experienced. But I still care about them - all of them! I want to make their lives better, and the lives of everyone we meet with. That's.. that's what I committed myself to. That was what my contract with Artemis was about. I sacrificed my personal life to benefit the lives of others. And... I know what I did. I know what I did when I shook hands with Artemis. I accept that fate. But there is still only so much that I can take." He shakes his head and attempts to form more words, but the words become lost, replaced by the formation of tears in his eyes.

"I'm not asking for a way out. I'm not trying to escape or give up. I would never do that, because I know that I made a contract that will never go away, for as long as I live. That's why I gave myself to the Void of the Medium. It was my only chance for both escaping and giving my friends one last chance, without me as a burden. But I know that I still have a purpose now. I get it. But at the end of the day, when all of it is done, I'm still mortal. I didn't plan to live beyond what we had to face. Again, I accept that I still want to carry on. But there's one thing that I've been missing this entire time."

He paces around trying to be coherent while fighting off the tears. Finally, he brushes a sleeve over his eyes, takes a deep breath, and speaks once again. "I gave up friendship. When I made the contract with Artemis, I gave up the ability to be close to people. To be able to just talk and feel and relax. I needed to be always on my toes, to adapt to the situation, to talk with people, to convince the Guardians to act, to mold the Medium to what it needed to be. But I... I can't just keep doing this. I'm going to destroy myself doing this. And, yes, I have accepted that. I have!

But.. what if I had the ability to find solace? What if I was able to find a partner in life sometime? What if I could just relax and watch the stars, or just get some ice cream and laugh and talk, or just... just..

...live?"
He stares at River while he finishes his last sentence, trying as hard as he can to hold back tears. Shaking his head, he turns around and sits down on the rocks, hugging his knees close to him.

"What if I don't have to feel so alone?" He whispers softly. He puts his head down in his arms as the first tear rolls onto his cheek.
River appears surprised by your reaction, quickly getting up and taking a couple of steps back, watching you with eyes wide and attentive ears.
"I am sorry! I meant not hurt! Words hard to-" he tries to interject as you speak, but stops as you continue.
His ears gradually drop as you speak, along with his tail and eyes and small distortions appear in the air around him.
He speaks again two seconds after you finish, speaking quietly.
"I am sorry. I saw someone I cared about with a problem and tried to help. But I only made things worse. This was a mistake. I will leave you alone."
You hear him take two steps but stop.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: March 30, 2015, 12:07:37 pm »

"You have taught me of the elements, but not how a mage manipulates them. How is a spell cast?"

after his explanation, if it included how to tell one spell from another:
"You wanted to cast divinations upon me before, however, I am not willing to let you cast unknown spells upon me. Could you teach me the spells you wish to cast so that they will no longer be unknown?"

after his explanation, if it did not include how to tell one spell from another:
"How can I tell the difference between spells? How can I know if a mage is trying to attack me or if he is simply divining information?"

if he refuses to teach me how a spell is cast:
"Ok, then I suppose the next question is yours?"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:18:03 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: March 30, 2015, 03:47:47 pm »

Campaign, Ike!

Ike, having listened to the mage's filibuster, sheds his last regrets about never attending college. From this moment on, he is truly free of his entire past. He has the impulse to thank the man for this great favor, but quickly suppresses it.

Thankfully there are fun guards to distract me from this lecturing business. Are they going away already to get smashed, or are they sticking around?

Think of potatoes. Consider their mysterious allure while I listen to all around me.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3774 on: April 02, 2015, 08:27:57 pm »

Staging Area

I'm sure Alan can find a way.  What's the highest throw so far?  (If you recall)

"Pokey pokey?  Okay, I'll stop."

How far is that, anyway?  I don't see any specifics except that it's probably absurdly long.

Retract it to a reasonable short spear.  In various spear settings (bracelet, short spear, long spear, safe and unsafe), try out the move/stop and reconfigure buttons.

It is absurdly long. And takes several minutes to get there because it gets slower and slower. And overheats more and more, which means that if you do it too fast you could burn your hands. And gets heavier, you wouldn't be able to lift it if I didn't make you use the Staging Area to cheat so I could make my silly joke. Basically, there's a point after which it's not worth making it larger and then there's a point where it reaches a limit and just grows nanometres. And the fact that the ring is in its centre is not helping. It's a melee weapon. Don't expect to use to stab the neighbours very often. I mean, there could be circumstances where that could be useful, but at most you'd be using it as a pike.

The things you try do nothing.

Saevus looks at John with a look that could only be understood as disapproval. How he can give someone a look of disapproval when he doesn't really have a face, his face-equivalent being a helmet with no facial features and other things important for visual communication, you ask? I have absolutely no idea.

"I certainly hope so."

Still, I'd like to have something to deter possible poking. Summon the biggest crossbow I can and load it up. Fire at anything that pokes (or attempts to (or looks like it might)) anything.

Saevus is basically using the poking as an excuse to amuse himself. This waiting is terribly boring. And the fact that there's a battle raging over there and he can't join in is irritating.

((I'm sure D would be happy to paint a smiley face on your helmet.))

You summon a crossbow and shoot a warning shot at John. The energy draw becomes overwhelming and the bolt disappears about halfway there. Could probably use the staging area to amp your power though. Then again, that also means that your bolts would probably do nothing more than push him. Might be funny though,

By the look of things, the waiting will be over soon.

Second chance round

Wanna kill me? Try to flip me over, I fecking dare ya.

But seriously, how did being shot with a plane cure a headache? :P
Have you ever heard the expression "If your hand hurts, you can stop the pain by cutting your arm"?

"Holy shit, what are we against, commies? Americans? This is not fun, not fun at all..."
"Does it matter? All that matters is that you keep fighting. Go forth, for the glory of war!" you hear a booming voice coming from somewhere a long distance behind you.
<Judging from the skulls, I'd say you are the baddies.>
<Actually, historically, skulls have been used as the symbol of various armies, both good and bad, such as->
<Nobody asked for a history lesson from you.>
Spoiler: Take two (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Campaign

"You have taught me of the elements, but not how a mage manipulates them. How is a spell cast?"

after his explanation, if it included how to tell one spell from another:
"You wanted to cast divinations upon me before, however, I am not willing to let you cast unknown spells upon me. Could you teach me the spells you wish to cast so that they will no longer be unknown?"

after his explanation, if it did not include how to tell one spell from another:
"How can I tell the difference between spells? How can I know if a mage is trying to attack me or if he is simply divining information?"

if he refuses to teach me how a spell is cast:
"Ok, then I suppose the next question is yours?"

"Oh, that is a very interesting question. How indeed? The matter is still being researched today, but I can give you the most commonly accepted theory."

"A very important part is intent, a mage should have at least some idea of the intent of their action. Some elements rely less on it than others, but even Chaos Sorcerers usually give their spells some general intent. Note that the intent doesn't necessarily have to be conscious, in fact many times there are problems caused because a mage looses his or her concentration part way through the spell, thus halting the spell or ending up with an imperfect result. Or worse, if their thoughts wander too far, the result may be completely different from what they originally intended, sometimes with very unfortunate results. That is why many mages use magical words when casting spells. Well, one of the reasons. It also helps with the ritual and... other things."

"Speaking of, the second part is ritual. The way someone moves their body, what they say, what they feel, what they think, how they think, all those contribute to the spell. Oftentimes, it is even necessary to change your thoughts or movements or words according to how the spell is progressing. If the spell aligns with your affinity, it's usually much easier to reach the required state. And it also means that it is easier to understand the spell, if you read about it or if someone explains it to you. Because it should be closer to the way you think and act and... the way you are, really, what you are. Again, it depends on circumstances and elemental affinity. Spells that combine multiple elements tend to be much harder for that exact reason."

"And the third is... casting a spell. It is a bit hard to explain without becoming too technical, since it depends on many factors depending on circumstances and the elements involved... Basically it means that even if you want something to happen, it's not enough. You have to cause it to happen. Even if the energy inside you is in a perfect state, you have to somehow cause it to... go out. But it's not really going out, because it is already flowing through you, it is part of you. It is more like... To feel the power within you, to coax that energy to act and manifest, to push it to act while keeping control of it. But it's not really control, because... Eh, it's hard to explain to someone who's never done it before. It's like moving a hand. Or blinking. Sometimes it doesn't even have to be done intentionally, it just happens. If you've done it before, then you understand what I'm talking about."

"Depending on the inner power of a mage and their environment, either of these parts alone can be enough to cause a spell to manifest, but alone and without training they are unlikely to result in a spell as good or as powerful. In fact, they are very likely to get you killed."

"Theoretically, even a peasant could use magic in the right circumstances, usually manifested through the use of enchanted items. There have been some instances where claims of unaided magic use have been made, but they are hard to verify. How can one know for certain that they are not merely tales of drunkards? How can one know if the heroes of old or those who claim to have been aided by gods have not actually aided themselves, using magic without realising it? You cannot watch everyone all the time. It is an interesting subject but impossibly hard to research and prove conclusively."

"Well, like I said, casting requires those three element. Of those three, the easier to discern without the use of magic is the ritual element. If one knows of the spells someone is likely to use, then they can usually discern what kind of spell someone is casting based on their words and movements."

"If one does not know exactly how a spell is cast, then they could probably guess the mage's intent from the way they act. It is like trying to discern the intent of someone as they are talking or like trying to determine whether or not they are lying. Generally a violent spell will have violent words and movements. But it takes an expert judge of intent to do so. After all, the difference between determined and angry might be hard to make out depending on the circumstances."

"One may try to use their thoughts and intent to override the other elements of the ritual, but it is hard and unreliable to do so, usually even harder than casting a spell by intent alone. One may try to intentionally miscast a spell to cause damage, but that is even more unreliable. The more... chaotic elements tend to be more forgiving in that regard, so if one thinks one with such an affinity is likely to betray him, then he should probably be even more careful about them."

Kassiver sighs.
"Explaining would take a lot of time and I would like to get at least some sleep. I have important things to do tomorrow. I suppose I could just show you the words and movements. That way you'd-"

You catch a glimpse of something moving near Ike with the corner of your eye. Kassiver pauses and looks at him closely.

"I could cast the spell on your... companion here, if you consider him more expendable. Then you could see there is nothing to worry about."

Campaign, Ike!

Ike, having listened to the mage's filibuster, sheds his last regrets about never attending college. From this moment on, he is truly free of his entire past. He has the impulse to thank the man for this great favor, but quickly suppresses it.

Thankfully there are fun guards to distract me from this lecturing business. Are they going away already to get smashed, or are they sticking around?

Think of potatoes. Consider their mysterious allure while I listen to all around me.

"What? I tried searching a pub yesterday morning but it had already been cleared of everything."
"Why does that not surprise me?"
"That they cleared the pub?"
"That you stayed awake after our shift to search for liqueur."
"Psh. I don't drink liqueur. Only strong ale will do it for me. Or something stronger."
*quiet*
"Not that I'd object to a bit of liqueur."
*quiet*
"I mean, really, any sort of drink will do."
*sigh* "Why did you even volunteer for this position? No, wait, don't answe-"
"What? I can sit around all night and get food for it. Not like it's something dangerous."
"Do you know where the person who had that post before you is?"
"Where?"
"Let's say that he only gets up when there's wind now."
"What, you mean he got cursed with some sort of wind magic curse?"
"No. How to put it... He's all around you. Here, there, a bit further."
"I'm not following you."
"He's been burnt, you idiot. There's nothing but ashes left."
"Hey, no need to call people names, you could had just said that in the first place."
*quiet*
"What's wrong?"
"All your talking about drinking has gotten me thirsty now. And I can't get in there or I'll get yelled at again."
"Want me to get in there to get you some?"
"What? So that you'll get- No, wait, that's a brilliant idea. Why don't you get me some? Maybe if I'm lucky he'll volunteer you for that military assignment and I can get you off my back."
"What?"
"Nothing."

You close your eyes and think of the mysterious nature of the tubers, of their capacity to grow and spread, with normal plant-like leaves above ground, yet a more intricate method of reproduction below ground, a network of roots and stolons and child potatoes that could remind one of an ants' nest's network of tunnels and storage chambers. Only the network is not built merely to preserve the life of the colony, but to ensure the existence of future life, each potato being a new centre of growth, a bundle of nutrients coupled with several nodes of information and future growth, much sturdier and more likely to survive than most animals that walk the earth. One could say a potato represents life. Life is, in a way, potato.

You reason however that there is something more here, for the potato does not simply grow alone. It cannot grow outside of the ground, it needs the earth, it feeds off of it. It even takes on its nature, by becoming brown like the soil it grows in, taking the smell and shape of lumps of dirt. How does it do that though, a plant masquerading as dirt? What wondrous powers could be hidden in the simple potato?

And the potato also needs the air. And the sun. And the water. It is like the whole world revolves around the potato. As if the whole world was created to cater its needs. Even humans grow and protect potatoes, taking a few of them in return. You reason, therefore that potatoes represent the divine, perfection. People should meditate about potatoes, worship potatoes, model their ways after its lessons, regard the cultivation and consumption of potatoes as a ritual, a way to move closer to the divine perfection of the potato.

Maybe it's time to eat again?

OOC
I challenge every one of you to try and beat that.
Somewhere in the netherverse, Alan begins to charge up his misfortune powers.
Seriously though, how many negative modifiers did he even have?
It's the way combat works. Basically, being in the site of an airstrike, having a missile happen to go towards your general direction and walking right on its path is very bad for your health. It was one of those things where if there were no rolls involved, if he had fired the missile on himself or something, I would have had him autofail his endurance.
((So what, did I roll 3 1s in a row to get that kind of negatives?))
Something like that, plus the damage multiplier for the missile, plus your position, plus circumstances. The only way to make it worse would have been to be standing on a tank so that you could had gotten hit by multiple missiles and bullets.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: April 02, 2015, 11:33:21 pm »

Bryan, Tournament
"A shame if I were to be killed by this event instead of a contestant."
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: April 02, 2015, 11:49:12 pm »

Spoiler: Keep on trucking (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: April 03, 2015, 12:52:34 am »

"No, He is under my protection. I won't put him at risk for my gain."
I sigh
"The problem is, you've made yourself quite clear. You think I'm a monster, and intend to use me for your own benefit as best you can, and you'll try to destroy or enslave me if given half a chance. You even said that it's what any good man would do. By your own words, you aren't trustworthy."
"and I believe you."
"I think we'd both benefit if you cast the divination you desire, but if I give you permission to try it, that isn't what you'll do. instead, you'll attack me with whatever spell you think has the best chance of disabling or killing me, and then perform your experiments on my body. If this is how your people treat all nonhumans, then I see why they're all are hostile to you."
"Why should I trust you, xenophobic mage of unknown capability?"
I tilt my head to my right side and meet him eye to eye, watching for him to look away, my next words calm and quiet.
"Why should I trust someone who judges people by what they are, instead of whom they are?"
I pause for a moment, still staring at him.
"Go ahead and ask your questions."
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 01:14:57 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: April 03, 2015, 04:27:30 am »

Campaign, Ike!

Continue to listen.

But also begin to recontextualize the events of the past, present and future in the light of potato. It is an involved process, naturally.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: April 03, 2015, 04:39:43 am »

((You're going full Halesley.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 521