Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1077130 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Mission 5 has started
« Reply #4320 on: July 11, 2015, 10:26:48 pm »

((...you can shank him in the showers back in the Staging Area.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: IT KEEPS HAPPENING!!!
« Reply #4321 on: July 13, 2015, 09:21:00 am »

((I have been...indisposed the past week, preventing me from doing anything productive))

Theri gently squeezed River's hand as she said "Nope, why would I ever be? I'm alive, and content with seeing my friends--makes it all the better that they're happy to see me too despite anything that happened in the past."

She sways her arm while watching River's expression--she was checking if he was weary or needed nourishment; as far as she knew, it would show in how controlled a person was of their arms or stance.

"Besides, whatever happened, happened. I may have messed up. You may have messed up. What's going to happen doesn't depend on that though--we're living that choice now. And I want to see the rest here along with my best buddy by my side!"

Tally ho? To venture forth? Oh...wait

Theri was reminded quite acutely about something very significant, and did nothing to hide her subtle show of expression.

"...Err, I just remembered that I may be walking out naked. Do I look indecent to you? Also do you know where my possessions are?"

Inquiry {and then venture forth! Because I doubt my clothes are stacked on a neat pile nearby somewhere.{

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4322 on: July 13, 2015, 10:24:19 pm »

Team B: H4zardZ1, Wolfkit, Illgeo
((My flail?))
"Guess we have to do this with three people."
Campaign, Fizzo: Check the door. Does it have magnetic materials?
((What flail? I thought you went with the magnetic powers? Did I misunderstand something?))

You don't have any sort of ability allowing you to sense magnetic materials, so you check the door the only way you can: By using your power on it.

The door creaks and bangs against its frame as its lock and hinges are pulled by your magnetic field, first towards you and then away from you. Looks like they are indeed paramagnetic, but they respond weakly to your influence. Some sort of alloy maybe? Could always try increasing the strength of your magnetic field or trying some other trick.

John is looking very surprised, his mouth wide open:
"What was that?i"

He closes his mouth, then frown theatrically:
"Hm. Before choosing our strategy, we should assess our situation better."
Assess situation.
You look around.
There is nothing out of place here. Nothing has changed, except for some of the picture frames on the wall moving due to the tremor-
Wait a second....

You approach one of the frames.
Yes, there on the edge. The cuts on the picture extend behind it. Whatever sliced them did it while they were on the wall, slicing through the canvas and the wall behind it. The cuts are clean and straight, but not very deep. They look like they were done in a single swift motion. But there are many of them, at different angles. Were they the result of strong emotion or merely a desire to thoroughly destroy the pictures? Or something else? Whatever it was, it was good at handling whatever tool or weapon they used to cut them.

The pictutrd a few still lifes showing flower pots and a landscape showing a person laying on a field of grass and a pencil sketch of... something, maybe a person in a strange outfit. Probably just normal pictures one could find at a store or be gifted by a friend. You doubt they'd be valuable and still be inside this abandoned house in the middle of-

Hmm... That's strange. This one has the name of a famous painter on it... But the frame looks clean, recent... It has to be a fake, right? Unless... Something inside your host's mind tells you that this painting was reported missing a few months back... But... It can't be... who would steal a painting only to hang it inside an abandoned house and then destroy it? It doesn't make much sense...

You stand there staring at the painting, lost in thought, completely oblivious to any danger that could be around you.

Team C: akkudakku, FallacyOfUrist, mydjet
"Raagh? Er... what just happened?"

Be confused. Examine the doors in this room and see if it's possible for me to break them down.

((Do I get my [special slot] reloaded for this mission, or did I waste it during the duel?))
((You're loaded, with two meanings of the word.))

You're no doormancer, so you determine the endurance of the door the only way you can: By trying to break it down.

You randomly choose the front door and give it a good punch close to the lock. Surprisingly, the door remains intact, even though you hear the wood crack and break slightly. That's not right. Normal wood, especially this old and unmaintained, would had been broken immediately by a punch like that. You prepare for a few seconds and then follow up with a kick with as much power behind it as you can muster. The door breaks free of its hinges and frame and flies outward.
Yep. You can break the door allright.

What is beyond it though... This cannot be. There is nothing there. Beyond the front porch, there are is nothing. No officers, no cars, no city, not streets, no ground. Nothing. Emptiness. And beyond that, several miles away, there are only grey clouds, like on a midday when it's about to start drizzling.

The door bounces on the ground once and then disappears as it falls beyond the porch. 6 seconds pass. You don't hear it impacting anything.

Uhhh.... Maybe you finally drank too much and passed out?

Inspect my equipment. Prepare a slowdown AOE trap in the room we are in. Speed up my team.

"Looks like my skill-set will finally come in use."

If there is still time prepare all spell slots with 1 target hold person spells.
You prepare a trap for this entire room. It won't do much if something attacks you in here, since you will all be slowed down the same unless one of you has resistance to the effects, but it could trap something chasing you. Unless it has resistance to the effects.

As for one target hold person spells, I think that falls under the "too general" thing I mentioned. But I'll tell you what I'll do. I won't outright say no, I'll just give it a large penalty for the preparation roll. Nope. The spell is too complex for you to prepare with this level of concentration. Could always try something simpler and/or more specific.

You then attempt to speed up everyone else.
Wait, did you turn your hand clockwise or counter-clockwise for maintaining the time field polarity fluctuation-
That's as far as you go before slowing yourself down to a crawl, which from your perspective feels like everything else suddenly sped up incredibly.
((Any actions you take next turn would be done reeealy slow and there is a chance they will not be completed, depending on what the others and the environment does. You can still use your interface to talk at normal speed though.))

i sit pacently aginst a wall and trust my team to defeat the evil doors. if they dont i then turn the front door into a micro balista
((Please try to bold your actions if possible, since it makes finding action posts easier.))

You watch one of your teammates grunting thoughtfully and moving his hands around for a few seconds before he suddenly starts moving in slow motion. That's a neat trick. Wonder if he could teach you that.

The other defeats the evil front door and is confronted by the lack of outside world.

Team A: DreamerGhost, Beirus, Alarith
Inspect my equipment.
Locate a source of light.

You instinctively reach for your belt. Looks like you have a pistol, a baton, some things in your pockets you are not sure about and... Ah, here it is. An electric torch, of sorts. A large heavy rectangular thing with a handle in the top. You search for the switch and press it. The torch flickers on for a second, giving you a glimpse of wooden floor, wooden debris and furniture around you, before everything becomes dark again. Must have had something knocked out of place when your host fell through the floor. Damn thing. The flickering flashlight is a such a total cliché.

"So, I figure I can complete the objective and that first secondary objective if y'all are willing to forfeit the hostage objective. It'll take some time though, and you'll have to defend me while I charge up."

Get my bearings. What can I see of the room we are in?
You can see dark darkness of the dark. You'd expect there'd be at least some light coming from above, but there's nothing.

You get up and try to take a step forward. And then immediately bump onto something hard with your face. Damn, OK, bad idea. Must have hit your head really hard, because you thought you saw light there, for a second.

Group A

<Hang on, I'll try to see if there is any hostile people close by. Do we want to get moving?>
Start my radar
You focus on your extrasensory senses... There are who you assume are your teammates, full of confusion, trying to figure out what's going on. They're fairly close, you think. Could just walk to them, if you could see. And then there's a mind full of fear and pain and confusion. Whoever it is, it's panicking. Probably one of the men that was with you... But you were certain there were more than one of those with you, your host remembers that. They couldn't have all died, not by a simple fall... could they?

And then there is... it's hard to feel. It's somewhere ahead of you, not close but not far... Can't tell exactly where it is. Or what it is. Feels like... satisfaction? Anticipation? Relief?

There's also something more there, some other feeling by someone (or something) else, but you are not focused enough to understand where or what it is. It's so faint it barely registers.

As you look around, you notice a flash of light coming from where one of your teammates is.

DreamerGhost, Beirus, Alarith
There is a single mechanical clicking sound, followed by the sound of cloth moving and a sound like small metal balls clicking against each other.
"Good. You're still alive." a gruff voice says, sounding very loud in the silence of this place.
Bryan (Alarith's char) can tell that it's coming from roughly the same place he sensed satisfaction.
From where you heard the pained moan, now you hear a gasp.

OOC
Boy, there's a lot of you. Good thing missions have high fatality rate and this is a hard one...

((Also, could everyone else put their group up top as well? I'm going to have a hard time remembering who is in what group otherwise.))
I agree with that. Not really necessary for me but it would make things easier for me and the others.

((...you can shank him in the showers back in the Staging Area.))
Note to self: Add showers in the staging area.
And spawn Megggas' character there.
The staging area, not the showers.
Although suddenly waking up on the floor of a communal shower room with no memory of how you got there would be a strange fun way to start your adventure.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: July 13, 2015, 10:28:50 pm »

"This cannot be! AHHH!!!"

back away from the door. Have my empty slot have [ability] in it.

Spoiler: Ability (click to show/hide)
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: July 13, 2015, 10:40:34 pm »

Note to self: Add showers in the staging area.
And spawn Megggas' character there.
The staging area, not the showers.
Although suddenly waking up on the floor of a communal shower room with no memory of how you got there would be a strange fun way to start your adventure

Waking up on the dirty floor of a rundown communal shower room would be the kind of unpleasant experience that my character has come to expect from life.
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: July 13, 2015, 11:01:11 pm »

((Thanks))
"The door isn't going down easily, hm? Let's try this then."
Place the magnetic field outside the door and then push the door. With my shoulder. AKA, shoulder ram the door.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:46:30 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: July 14, 2015, 08:44:30 am »

Group A

<I can't sense anyone immediately hostile, but it could go that way fast.>
"Life is always something to be happy about, at least I think so,"
Focus more on the man's feelings, anything more I can detect without him noticing? Also see if my flashlight works better.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: July 14, 2015, 02:39:22 pm »

<"Well this went great. I might need cover to fix myself. My proposition is to go close to one of the doors that the others went through and break it down.">

Speed myself up. Prepare a spell that slows down a person of my choosing to a crawl. Stay as close as I can to the others.

((Sorry about that, I have the worst memory ever. I hope there are okay.))
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:42:06 pm by akkudakku »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: July 14, 2015, 02:41:20 pm »

"I can hear you just fine. And I agree. RAAGH!!!"

Bash down another door somewhere in the foyer! Keep bashing doors down until I find the corridor that leads to the other teams!
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: July 14, 2015, 03:12:36 pm »

Keep watch for now; if (H4zardZ1) has problems with the door use lasers to cut it open
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: July 14, 2015, 03:42:01 pm »

Even though I only saw the room for a second I should remember where evrything is.
If there are no obstacles in the way, shoot the owner of the voice in one of it's legs. If there are obstacles, Get up and move towards the vice, baton in hand.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4331 on: July 14, 2015, 09:50:04 pm »

Final Round

Spoiler: I'm not seeing it (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster Action (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Halfway there (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Livin' on a prayer (click to show/hide)

Everyone
<Fair warning: If you can't kill each other in... oh, let's say a little less than 3 minutes, I'm going to start progressively making it easier for you to do so. Can't have you playing cat and mouse forever. For all I know, you guys are planning on adopting secret identities and living a normal life here, hidden until you can determine where your enemy is and how to best assassinate him.>

Campaign

Insert quote about slow knives from dark knight rises here
You see, it's the slow knife... the knife that takes its time, the knife that waits years without forgetting, then slips quietly between the bones... that's the knife that cuts deepest.
Done.

I look at my oddly silent teammates and just continue to wait.

((It's not that Irine dislikes the commwire, she just literally forgot about it - was distracted. So right now she doesn't even realize that she's missing out on a conversation))
Rolled again and new roll says you can smell Rovan. The people running towards you are close enough that you and the others can faintly hear them as well. And the Discoball is close enough and loud enough that its buzzing can be easily heard by everybody.
<They just keep coming. Okay no more waiting, we have to leave now. Probably will have to fight our way out. Everyone ready?>

I'm ready.
You hear no response. You turn around to see Alan muttering something about "knives that don't go over the speed limit" and Irine standing next to you and looking at you with a confused expression.

Campaign, Ike!

To the team: <Heads up, guys - it seems like basically everyone's passing by this way for some reason, and I do mean everyone. Including a shiny sphere of death coming in from the south. Prepare something throwable just in case. And hold on to your balls, Alan.>

Keep listening and watching. See if I can grab a rock from my position without making much noise.
Grabbing a rock is easy. Just got to bend down and grab one. There's tons of rocks here. Literally.

"Coming!" one of the two says. Probably to indicate that, as your ears are informing you, the discoball is moving towards them.
"Signal!" the other orders.
"Yesyes." the first responds dismissively. "Be ready!" he adds with more urgency.

You hear movement, metal and cloth moving, followed by something like glass breaking. A fiery red ball rises towards the sky from the two men's position, hovers there for a second and then disappears, leaving only a faint red trail of distorted light behind it.

The footsteps coming from the approaching group pause for a second and then pick up speed. At this rate they might be here in a minute or sooner. Still not fast enough to reach those two faster than the Discoball will.

From what your ears are telling you, those two have stopped moving or at least moving so slowly you can't hear them.

((I have been...indisposed the past week, preventing me from doing anything productive))

Theri gently squeezed River's hand as she said "Nope, why would I ever be? I'm alive, and content with seeing my friends--makes it all the better that they're happy to see me too despite anything that happened in the past."

She sways her arm while watching River's expression--she was checking if he was weary or needed nourishment; as far as she knew, it would show in how controlled a person was of their arms or stance.

"Besides, whatever happened, happened. I may have messed up. You may have messed up. What's going to happen doesn't depend on that though--we're living that choice now. And I want to see the rest here along with my best buddy by my side!"

Tally ho? To venture forth? Oh...wait

Theri was reminded quite acutely about something very significant, and did nothing to hide her subtle show of expression.

"...Err, I just remembered that I may be walking out naked. Do I look indecent to you? Also do you know where my possessions are?"

Inquiry {and then venture forth! Because I doubt my clothes are stacked on a neat pile nearby somewhere.{
((Worry not. I understand. And I'm not writing turns very fast, so there's no hurry.))

"Nope, why would I ever be? I'm alive, and content with seeing my friends--makes it all the better that they're happy to see me too despite anything that happened in the past."
River relaxes and sighs when you reply negatively.

He doesn't appear to be very steady on his feet and his reaction time isn't very quick. It takes him a bit longer than expected to show surprise and readjust his grip when you sway your arm. You don't think he'd be able to walk on his own without some support, both due to his injury and apparent weakness and tiredness.

"Oh. That is good. Thank you."
He sounds more tired than happy, his speech slow and not very enthusiastic, but the way his tail was moving as you spoke tells you otherwise.
"I will do better."

You walk until you exit through the door with the light coming from it and reach a stairway going up. Looks like it's brighter up there.

"In... decent?"
He looks at you with confusion for a second before his eyes widen with recognition.
"Oh. No. You are fine. But there are some clothes for you. Upstairs. If you are worried about the humans."

You continue walking until you reach the upstairs. It must have been some sort of establishment selling food and drinks, like a tavern. But it looks like it has been looted and abandoned for some time, the barrels and cupboards that would hold alcohol alcohol and food broken and empty. There are still a few cooking implements though and a couple of wooden chairs that were not taken. There is a also a stone bar counter, behind which the owner of this establishment would presumably rest when not serving its customers.

Light is coming through cracks in a wooden door and a window, each of them blocked from opening by the two halves of a broken crutch.

"There are clothes behind this." River says while making a motion towards the bar.
He lets go of you and lies down on the floor, his back resting against the front of the bar.
"I may wear some too. But I think I need to rest first."

You look behind the bar.
There are two similar sets of clothes here. The knots holding them together are still tied, as if they were pulled off rather than removed.
They are composed of a very thin dark coloured shirt and pants, covered by leather armour in places (part of the chest and legs, but not enough to obstruct movement) and with a thin covering of metal in the left shoulder and the upper left part of the left leg. Tied around the pants like a belt is a leather strip meant for holding a small bag close to the hip.

There is also a large bloody stain on the floor there that looks fairly fresh (a day or two old at most), but no indication about who is missing that blood.

"I also have this." he says as he searches inside the improvised bag he is carrying (a bag that looks like it has been made by tying two shirts together).
He pulls out a small aqua crystal but places it back inside the bag. He continue searching until he pulls out a glass-like orb and offers it to you. Its insides show various colours that appear to change as the angle from which the light strikes it changes, like it has many reflective surfaces inside it.
"Your orb. It was all I could save."

OOC
I had a dream that I was running a different RTD. And I was also seeing things happen as I rolled for them, like they were becoming real, as I experienced them through each character's eyes.

The RTD was a fun concept, mostly because it had some RP challenges, but I didn't like it as an RTD very much. It had little structure or objectives. Because the players chose their own objectives, they tended to go their separate paths and seldom interact.

Still, I think the story has potential. Mostly because I think it plays to my strengths, it focuses less on descriptions and emotions (although it still has quite a lot of that) and more on action and problem solving, while still being complex and challenging enough to maintain interest (or so I feel).

Might run it as a suggestion game, focusing on a single character (I think the one I like was inspired in part by Lenglon's character, as was part of the story), since it sounds relatively simple and easy to write. Still need to think about it some more and write some more notes though, do a bit more worldbuilding and background info. Not gonna say much more, don't want to spoil things in case I end up running it.

Still, I'm happy. It's always good when your subconscious does all your work for you and presents you with a good idea for you to work on.

EDIT: Fixed some spelling mistakes. Apparently, when tired, I begin to use homophones instead of the right word.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:00:07 pm by Parisbre56 »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:17 pm »

Nik sees Irene looking at him funny, and realizes she's not wearing a comwire. He points to his comwire and whispers "Irene, put a damn comwire on"
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:25:53 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: July 14, 2015, 10:23:18 pm »

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:02:33 pm by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: July 14, 2015, 11:07:15 pm »

I glance down and then at the surrounding tunnel, realizing I left my commwire back with the food. Then glance down at my hands and realize it might be pointless anyway."I-I left mine behind. I'd need help putting it on anyway."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 521