Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1075895 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Storm Coming
« Reply #5145 on: October 05, 2015, 01:58:13 pm »

Campaign, Ike!

Bravely take second or third watch if I can be arsed to wake up or Theri/Irine need sleep and wake me up.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: October 05, 2015, 02:57:00 pm »

Sleep soundly. That or try to fit through the tunnel into the tent if I can't.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5147 on: October 06, 2015, 10:49:54 pm »

SNAFU
((Thought there was still a coridor between the room where I went and the starting room. Ah well.))

<Team A, Svajoklis>

Inspect myself. Inspect suroundings.
Well, almost the entire building just exploded, so it doesn't really matter where you were.

Let's see... Welp. Unfortunately, you do not survive.
If you want to know exactly how you died you *rolls* got transformed into a mindless, overly fat imitation of yourself made out of magical potatoes that moves around like a zombie, searching for victims to bite. Not that anyone can see that, since the explosion threw you off the building and into the void beyond.
Beirus' ability can be weird.

Team A, WMD

Deploy more anchors to get a better grip and move closer to the building. Preferably into one of the partially open rooms or underneath the top floor.
You attempt to hold on for just a bit longer, to try and deploy more anchors or swing to a room or something, anything. But you just can't hold on. Your grip slips as your anchors weaken and you fall. You land on one of those red hexagons, your body resting on the solidified air the field of time-stop creates, part of it getting molten and cut off by the red outline of the hexagon.

You lay down, unable to move or really see what's going on around you. You lay there until you're back to a weak shivering naked human. You're missing an arm, but on the only bright spot for this turn, it doesn't appear to be bleeding. Yeah, everything is looking crap.

Team A
"You remind me of a proverbial snake. Spreading lies and pretending to be a friend. Now face someone who can fight back." Bryan speaks to Joanna now, "Please hold on Joanna, I'll try to take care of this quickly."
Fight back against the force, hopefully negating its attacks and searching for the source.
((Thanks for the reminder of her name. Should have realized it got mentioned somewhere before.))
You muster all your mental strength and focus your mind on creating a barrier between your minds and the psychic energy around you, trying to shield your thoughts from it. You do not feel confident enough to take it on directly however, as it appears to have suddenly gotten much stronger.

You approach the girl as she gets on her knees and tries to regain her bearings.
"She's there." she manages to say between strained breaths, indicating a trail of footsteps on the snow.

B
Okay then, first of all, let's see how hard your room gets hit, to see if there's any point in even running your actions. Ah cool. You got sort-of lucky.
((Sorry for vanishing for a week, life happened))

"Now then, hold still. And you would happen to have any anesthesia on you, would you? Because I don't!"
Use a laser to trim the mannequin leg to match the portion I cut off of Fizz's leg.
Then, time for mad-science-back-alley prosthetics surgery using the tools and materials I gathered last turn.

"Hmm. What about..."
Try to help Welroki with formulas.
Inspect the room, hopefully finding an another door.
Fizz tries to explore the room, although his injury makes that a bit difficult. Can't really see much more than what he already knew. There's three doors here, one they came through and two others.

Welroki uses a combination of molten metal and screws tightened on Fizz's bones to attach one of the mannequin legs on Fizz. Suffice to say, it hurts like hell, as Fizz clearly demonstrates with his screaming and thrashing. But in the end, it produces something that can let Fizz walk around. They don't let him run or anything, but at least now he doesn't have to lean against a wall to stand up.

He probably wouldn't had succeeded if it weren't for John's help. John couldn't really do much to help Welroki on terms of equations. The math he is using is right (mostly) but the equations themselves make little sense to him while Welroki's explanations of them make even less sense. What he can help with however is helping him handle the various objects they are using, holding them in place or helping him bond them together, while also providing some basic first aid tips.

One of the walls and a considerable chunk of the room disappear in an explosion of green light, the shadow of their form dissolving into thin lines soon after. Once the light recedes, you can see there's been a hole left on the side of the room. And the mannequins have ceased moving altogether.

Strange serpentine things occasionally appear out of thin air there, as if emerging from behind some invisible wall. They stay close to the hole, swimming around through the air semi-randomly, slowly making their way further away from each other and closer to you. They appear to be completely two dimensional, becoming almost invisible once they turn towards you, and are glowing slightly, as if they are hot.

You can see other strange things through the hole and further away from it. The most important being that there is apparently now a giant chunk of the building missing, the rest of the rooms floating freely and loosely connected.

((Can I join?))
Ability:Can (short-range timetrav and) redo (or cancel, if it turns out that things wouldone Go Horribly Wrong) any action of about 5-10 seconds length, but only once per action.  Will automatically pop on death.
(In game mechanics terms, I get best of two rolls and/or knowledge of what's around the corner.)
((Further backstory waiting on ability confirm.))
Gah. You're killing me man. Time manipulation is one of the things I said I do not want... Too much potential for something weird or unmanageable to happen. Your version sounds good, but it still has potential to complicate things, making me have to redo things.

How about something a bit different, but with similar effects:
Your presence disturbs space, leaving an almost invisible trail of spatial vibrations behind you, ghostly holographic images of your previous selves that slowly disappear. As a defence mechanism you can shift your body's state into one that resonates with the trail, allowing you to slip into it and return to your previous state, erasing the trail in the process.
It's almost the same thing, but doesn't have the time manipulation, so the effects of your actions don't get overwritten and there's less chance of me needing to pause a turn or PM you for clarifications, but you are given the second chance.

If you want to imagine it like something, then imagine it like the Lord Marshal from Riddick with the ability to project a ghostly image of himself and transport himself to it, but in reverse and with an invisible trail and regeneration.

I also find every turn to be a bit too much. It would definitely require some penalties. I think something like 40 secs would be less likely to require penalties.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: October 07, 2015, 12:02:16 am »

((Sorry, DG. My bad.))

Get up and jump my way across the hexagons and other anomaly things that are safe to jump on to get to solid floor. Keep an eye out for anything useful produced by the anomaly explosion.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: October 07, 2015, 01:08:59 am »

((Well, damn. Did the explosion kill anything besides me?))

ADDIT: ((So what happens now that I'm dead?))
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:38:12 am by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: October 07, 2015, 05:08:22 am »

((That sounds good.  I still want it to pop on would-have-been death though.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: October 07, 2015, 07:37:45 am »

Team A
"I'm afraid I'm not entirely certain I can protect you. this person or thing is stronger than I had first thought. Can you tell me anything about it or its abilities before I make decisions on whether we should just leave or take it on?"
Try to strengthen the shield
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: October 07, 2015, 12:51:41 pm »

((Is anyone else finding the 11 of Diamonds mission very hard to follow?))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: October 07, 2015, 01:05:00 pm »

((Is anyone else finding the 11 of Diamonds mission very hard to follow?))

The mission is about 11 eldrich abominations and a house they patchworked from several biomes located in diferent dimensions. They kidnap people for food and fun, so we were sent in. A lliving magic nuke went off, destroying a part of the house located in one dimension, while one guy is trying to save a little girl from falling to despair in another dimension while yet another group got sliced by laser since one of them did not feel like friendly fire was a problem.

Basicly, what i'm getting at, it is not suposed to make a whole lot of sense.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:14:12 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5154 on: October 07, 2015, 11:12:13 pm »

Frank Riggio - Walk Under A Thundery Sky

Storm Coming

Cock my rocket launcher and open fire on the massive bird. As I do that, attempt to increase the size of my wings. If I succeed, immediately begin moving backwards, reloading my rocket launcher and firing again when possible.
Once again, you can't seem to be able to focus enough to use your ability. Shooting takes up most of your attention.
... Shoot this bird out of the sky.
Saevus takes a look at John squirming on the ground in pain and nods approvingly. He then briefly considers the idea of pointing out that he's not human to Nick.

Get to the car! Fire it at the bird! Then fire my rebar spear at it! Fire everything!
Shoot an air-burst frag grenade at it!  As many as he remains in targeting range!
The entire team turns their heads and any weapons in their disposal skywards, opening fire on the dark form of the diving bird-titan.

Ron attempts to use his giant gun, however he accidentally applies too much pressure to it, causing the casing to crack, the trigger to crumble and the gun to emit an alarming beeping noise, its display flashing Err.

John attempts to hit Nick with a couple of gigantic grenades, however they both miss, exploding way behind their target into fireballs hidden by the clouds.

Saevus manages to run quickly enough to reach a car in time and shoot it at the bird, before launching his spear at it. While both items hit, they fail to hurt their opponent in any way, they merely inconvenience him as he attempts to dodge. Granted, they were but glancing blows, but even those should had caused some harm. This creature must be tougher than it looks.

Fortunately, his distraction is enough for Rune to land a perfect hit with his rocket launcher, hitting the creature on the front of its left wing, taking a large chunk out of it, adding a sizeable splatter of blood to the falling water.

<Oh, that had to hurt.>

Unbalanced and in pain by the strike, Nick attempts to level himself and gain altitude. However, his momentum is too great and before he can manage to do so, he hits the ground with a loud thud, carving a small ditch into the concrete. The veil of darkness that follows him quickly obscures the scene. It spreads and falls lower, seemingly on its own accord, until it has covered everything.

As he was passing overhead, John noticed that their opponent's torso is also hurt and bleeding close to his legs, probably hit by Ron's previous attack. Even though he is concealing it with his dark clouds, John can see the heat and energy escaping through it much more easily with the help of his new prosthetics.

And he can also keep track of their opponent through the obscuring clouds, although its hard. As he watches, his feathers seem to open up, releasing small tendrils full of energy. He straightens himself and, keeping his wings open, he begins silently floating away without moving them, trying to make his way to one of those large buildings.

The rest of the team however can't see shit, the combination of heavy rain and dark mist making it almost impossible to see.

Storm Coming - George
George clutched his head as bitter anger sparked inside his mind.  Ugh, enough!  I am sick of hearing voices in my head!  Shut up! Shut up!! SHUT UP!!

Intensely think the words "Shut up" in an attempt to silence the voices.

(Since I'm just waiting in the house anyway, I thought I'd try to get George to accidentally discover that he can communicate telepathically.  We have interfaces for this mission, right?  I don't recall anyone telling him that he could use it to communicate)
https://youtu.be/AgsEdU4l8XQ

Oh, hey, your teammates brought that thing down! ...and then they disappeared inside a dark cloud... that is quickly spreading towards you.

Campaign

nothing to do, release my little flame and go to sleep until the storm dies out.
You decide that since Alan is not in here, you don't need to keep the night light on. You curl up and let yourself drift to sleep.

In your dreams there is a giant twisted dark cloud flying above you, chasing you, diving down from the shadows to catch you. There is an orange orb of swirly fire by your side, helping you, leading the way and leaving a glowing trail behind it, showing you a safe passage. You follow it into a twisty cavern with strangely rectangular walls. You reach an obstacle, so you let it pierce your heart with its fiery tentacles, merging with you, becoming part of you and allowing you to fly. You continue moving through the cavern until you reach a group of stone stalls filled with fire and water. The darkness follows you, until it is stopped by a wall of water, a gate made out of a waterfall. But you know it won't stop it for long. You ask the orb where the other is, but it says there never was any other. And yet you remember someone else being with you in your journey.

((Feel free to wake up whenever you want.))

Let's dream about the nightmarish biomechanical spider.

((I had a dream about being hunted by nightmarish biomechanical spiders once. It was terrifying.))
In your dreams, you run through the destruction, through the derelicts of civilisation. You don't know how, but you survived the end, even though your car was flipped around and skewered by a giant I-beam, everyone around you burnt and evaporated, turned into a shadow. Now you just run, trying to hide from what came after the end. Maybe this isn't really real. Maybe you died and being alone and chased is your purgatory. The harsh white lights appear, tracking you. They came for you again. You run and stumble and fall and roll. You think this is it, you are about to resign, when you see it. An orange orb of light. Warm light. The fire that came in the sky. Without fear, you approach it, pick it up, make its warmth part of you. And then you turn around to face them. You are not afraid. You have been chased enough. Whatever happens, this ends now, one way or another. The creature stops, looking you with its lights, raising its legs toward you in apprehension. Your fire is brighter.

Art by Alexiuss.

Sleep soundly. That or try to fit through the tunnel into the tent if I can't.
You are trapped, so you have no choice but to sleep as comfortably as you can in the cold howling winds outside. Not that you mind that much.

Campaign, Ike!

Bravely take second or third watch if I can be arsed to wake up or Theri/Irine need sleep and wake me up.

I assume you are capable enough to manage watches.

The storm rages on outside for a few hours, accompanied by occasional booms of thunder or strange thumps and whistles that make the air and ground shudder. A small bulge forms on the side of the tent the wind hits. But the tent holds and nothing horrible happens to you. Eventually the wind starts dying down into something more bearable, the noise outside becoming less loud until it almost stops, signs that the dangerous part of the storm has probably passed.

OOC
((Well, damn. Did the explosion kill anything besides me?))
Yep. Lots of things, actually. Almost completed the mission right then and there, just needed to roll a bit higher.
Fun fact: If it weren't for your character's actions, the explosion would have never happened. You took out 2 of the 4 that could had stopped it.

((That sounds good.  I still want it to pop on would-have-been death though.))
What do you mean pop? Because I might have misunderstood something.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:15:03 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: October 07, 2015, 11:49:11 pm »

<<He's hurt, guys, good job!  He's trying to get away though; looks like he's floating up to one of those buildings!>>
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: October 08, 2015, 01:43:08 am »

((Wait, two? Did the one I shot bled to death?))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: October 08, 2015, 05:06:00 am »

((Pop = automatically happen.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: October 08, 2015, 05:09:49 am »

<<Something is not right. Our foe is an entity, a beast of incredible cunning. He would not make a rush so foolish and suicidal.... It is possible that he can conjure an illusion, a shadow form of himself. Pursuing him might lead us into a trap.>>
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5159 on: October 08, 2015, 05:16:32 am »

((Pop = automatically happen.))
That's doable. But either it can only happen as long as your brain is not thoroughly destroyed or every time you go back, you also lose your memories of what happened and can only remember that you went back, not why you did so. I think it makes sense as a drawback, since for you to remember that you activated your ability and what happened during that time, then at least part of your brain has to stay unaffected from your regeneration. So either your brain regenerates and you lose your memories or your brain does not regenerate, so going back means the brain damage stays and your brain is still mush.
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 521