Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1077049 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Special People: Map Time
« Reply #5370 on: November 26, 2015, 09:48:36 pm »

'Hey entities!  Why do you tell us to value teamwork while also essentially telling us to backstab our buddies?'
<Because it is a challenge. It's fun to see you try to balance both. Because both are essential to being successful in the games. You need to work as a team to get the best results and succeed in your objectives, maybe even get some bonus objectives done. But you also need to win if you want to advance quickly and that often requires some backstabbing. But you must be careful. Backstab too soon and you might fail the mission. Too late and you might miss your chance or get backstabbed in turn. When you have mastered both, then you will be that much closer to mastering the games.>

"But as of right now, I'd be happy if I saw you doing either of those things."
he says with a smug tone as he pushes himself away from your table and heads back towards the bar. Oh. Looks like you're back again. This time it didn't even take that long... you think.

((It's very much like the Betrayal game mode for Unreal Tournament. It's a standard free-for-all with a twist: People are freelancers but based on their statistics they can be grouped into teams of two. The teammates share their points and are immune to each other's damage. But each team member has a special Betrayal fire mode that lets them kill their teammate and take all the team points for themselves. And the Betrayal fire mode is also visible to others, so that they can try to take advantage of the infighting.

Two people working together can do much better than one person working alone. But only one person can claim the team points and only one person can be victorious. And you never know when the other player is going to betray you. And you never know when the one you betrayed is going to come back and take retribution, thus reclaiming some of the lost points, potentially gaining even more points than you did by betraying them. It was a very fun gamemode.))

Staging Area

Toaster (John), Coolrune206 (Rune), Megggas (George), Execute/Dumbo.exe (Adam), Salsacookies (Ron), Hawk132 (Saevus), TheBiggerFish (Alex), crazyabe (Colby)

The gang, plus two new arrivals, find themselves back at the ground level of the inn, standing around or sitting in wooden chairs. The room is relatively dark and mostly illuminated by the fireplace. Charlie, a humanoid figure made out of shadows that move like fire is standing close to the bar. And, as always, Roger's manning the bar. The fungimen band is currently experimenting with some new music on their stage. Roger probably taught them that.

"Anyway, on to the matter at hand." Charlie says as he addresses the men in the room.
<We have decided that nobody won->
<Meaning you all lost.>
<No! Meaning that you all get rewarded equally!>
<That's stupid. As if we're a bunch of commie bastards->
<Come on boys. Don't be sore losers. A decision is a decision.>
"Indeed. Rules are rules. Your team's victory over Nick was... unconventional, but valid. And in the end, that's all that matters, isn't it? So I believe some congratulations are in order."
Charlie pauses for a second. There is only silence.
"I was expecting an applause there, but whatever."

"Anyway, I would also like to welcome our two new arrivals. Welcome to the games. You have been selected to compete by one of us. A new challenge should start sometime soon. It should give you a good idea about what's going on."
"Good luck and have fun. I'm certain your fellow competitors will do a good job welcoming you."
he says with what sounds like a grin, although you can't really tell due to the lack of a face.
"But in the meantime, you can enjoy your time in the Staging Area." he says as he leans back against the bar in a relaxed posture.

"Oh, and John-" he adds and raises his hand to get John's attention.
"You should head back to your personal area when you have the chance. He wants to talk to you. In private."
"Oooh, someone's in trouble~" Roger comments from the bar.

Campaign

"Huh. Do they have mouths to eat with, or do they just kinda absorb them through the fluff?"

BirdFuzzballwatch.
"They haveMouths. Many Mouths."
After looking at the door leading inside for a few seconds, River comes closer to you and starts watching the creatures as well.
When the seeds are exhausted, most of the creatures spend a few seconds looking around for any they have missed before going back and resting close to their original resting spot, some of the larger ones trying to get more seeds from the smaller ones with small bumps.
They close their eyes. And one by one their fur puffs up and expands like the feathers of a bird before retracting into a much thinner and smooth layer, making them look like fuzzy eggs resting on spiky tripods. The seeds disappear beneath their fur in the process.

<I'm sure you are D, but that doesn't mean he can't be gracious too. I mean, you're both bigger than me. Besides, it's nice having people be nice to me. Why not just let people be nice and enjoy their niceness?>
<Hehe, sure. He seems like a cool guy. I'm mostly just having fun. Mostly.
Wait, what do you mean 'bigger than you'?>

Show the lady the Thief Sign as I ascend the staircase.
look around as we go inside, memorizing how to get out. also edge away from the woman yelling mean things. mostly though, I'm still following the guy to his map.
Pew pew finger gun at the woman and kid and go up the stairs.
The group moves up the stairs, Ike and Nikolai doing various gang signs (or at least what they think are gang signs) while Roger mentally hums "Like a Bus" and other thug-life appropriate themes. The first floor seems to hold three rooms, the walls defining those rooms constructed from a different, less sturdy-looking stone than the floor and walls of the tower. One of them is a bedroom, from what you can see through the open door, although you can't tell what the others are. Ike can tell there's another human on that floor.

The second floor on the other hand is completely open, one big room being lit by numerous windows in all the walls but one. The windowless wall holds a large empty piece of cloth displaying various, almost indistinguishable shades of grey on it. The room seems to be a workshop and a storage area of sorts. You can identify a bench with stone-carving tools with a half-finished object resting on it, another with wood-carving and wood-cutting tools, some brushes, pots and mortars, cupboards holding glass jars filled with colourful substances, shelves with implements giving off a slight glow that denotes the involvement of magic... The centre of the room holds a large stone table that seems to have received some cuts and burns during its lifetime, stained with reds, yellows and blues, however it is mostly clear of objects, only a rag and a few brushes laying on it. One of the eastern windows has something like a stone podium or a music sheet holder close to it, with its top obscured by a piece of cloth.

The view from the windows is pretty good. The tower is not tall enough to show you what is beyond this large hill, but it does give you a nice view of the surrounding area. The view of the mountains in the east is particularly nice, some of their tops shining from the sunlight reflected on them. You can also see Alan down there along with River and the rest, not causing much trouble... for now, at least.

Even with the wind bringing in fresh air from the windows, there's a variety of scents assaulting your noses, spicy and thick and pungent.

The staircase continues going up until it reaches a trapdoor, through which dust and sand has drifted in and accumulated on some of the steps.

<Ooh, nice. Guy's got himself set up nice.
Good thing Alan isn't here. I couldn't see him and this room surviving being in the same space for too long.>

"Hm. Somewhere in here, I think..." the man says to himself as he searches through a chest.
After a few seconds, he pulls out a leather-covered metal cylinder, its top covered with some white stone decorations.
"This one..." he continues speaking to himself as he uncorks the top of the cylinder with an almost inaudible pop.
He pulls out a piece of parchment from the cylinder and lays it on the table, carefully spreading it open, even though the parchment looks brand new.
"Ah, yes, here it is." he says. "Come closer." he adds as he motions for you to approach.

The piece of parchment contains a map. You cannot understand the writing on it, but some of the symbols are easy enough to understand and the general layout of the map seems familiar to Ike and Irine.
"This is a map of our kingdom." he says, confirming why it felt familiar.
"I bet one of the most current and accurate ones you can find." he adds.
"So you came from the city, that is here-" he says and points at a drawing of some buildings, a volcano and an enormous tower on the map.
"-and you followed the eastern road-" he continues as he moves his finger over a black line towards a point where it splits.
"-until the point it splits and heads toward Godstone." he adds while his finger follows one of the two black line until it ends up on a dark point with some letters above it, centred in the drawing of a relatively large oval hill.
"If you want to reach Dragon's Holle, Grazisti's home, then you need to keep following this road until you reach a fork. On that fork you want to take the one that goes south-east until you reach a small village. Knospasaki."
His finger follows the line until it reaches a drawing of a few buildings and symbols.
"From there you need to continue for a bit and then head towards Hollow Pass." he says and points towards a gap between two hills in the south that seems to have no road going through it.
"Once you're close to the other side, you should be able to see Dragon's Hole and the Hovering Spire."
He indicates a drawing of a hill very close to another one, the two of them surrounded by other hills, although not to the point that they are completely isolated from each other.

Otherwise you can just keep heading east. This path should merge with the main road once you're off the hill and from there it's a short distance to Areloggez. From Areloggez you can follow the road East and go wherever you wish. Or you can take the road southeast and head for Raijgnar Mine. That can get you straight to Kodromota and the borders, assuming they aren't having any problems."
He isn't exaggerating. There's literally an unnaturally straight line connecting what he says is Raijgnar Mine (the drawing of a town and a hill) with a point close to what he says is Kodromota (the drawing of a large town close to the mountains at the eastern edge of the map, with two other lines heading from it towards the east and beyond the borders of the map).

"You can also follow the southern road to get to Raijgnar Mine. Keep following the road past Knospasaki and then head north-east. It's a slightly larger journey, but the climate is more welcoming, vegetation is slightly thicker and there are fewer people there and..."
He looks up at you.
"Well, pardon me for saying so, but a group such as yours might prefer to not be seen very much. Some people may not feel very safe in your presence."

"You could also go south, across the Scar, but from what you told me what interests you is east?"

((Sorry. Don't have time to draw an actual map. But you can assume you have a fair idea of where things are in relation to you, even if you don't know how they are called.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: November 26, 2015, 10:01:05 pm »

Alan grins in what could be called a malicious manner on anyone who wasn't him. As it is he looks mischievous.

"Hmm. They seem like pretty hyper little buggers. Do they drink at all?"

Spray some coffee beans into the enclosure. If they do drink, summon some cans of Red Bull and dump them into the pen.

Alan abruptly notices River by him.

"Oh hey Rover! Came to check out the fuzzballs? They're pretty awesome. At least I think they're pretty awesome which is why I'm dosing them heavily with caffeine."
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 03:25:36 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: November 26, 2015, 10:03:26 pm »

Order an alcoholic drink of unknown origins.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: November 26, 2015, 10:17:04 pm »

"Hookay, this... What... Huh... What?"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: November 26, 2015, 10:29:01 pm »

"What the..."
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 10:31:07 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: November 26, 2015, 11:12:15 pm »

((I wanted an IC answer more than an OOC one; wanted to see if it'd stump the entities a bit.  Guess not!))

"Oh.  Uh.  Okay, I guess."  He waved at the group.  "Have fun!"

John returned to his private area, and addressed the ceiling.  "Okay, Zero, what's up?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: November 26, 2015, 11:59:25 pm »

"I still maintain that if that brute hadn't alerted Nick, we would have fared much better, at the very least, been able to prepare better.
Hmph, no use crying over it, I suppose, though I would like a thank you for saving Johns skin."

Adam gives another small 'hmph' before turning around and noticing the fungimen band.
"Interesting, what are those?"
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: November 27, 2015, 03:06:35 am »

((I guess it's sort of a gang sign. Though, for reference, the Thief Sign.))

"Heh, Dragon's Hole," Ike offers usefully. "And yeah, we're technically interested in the east, but our guide doesn't really know as much about what we're looking for and where we're looking for it as we would like."

"Well, that doesn't leave me with too many questions... except maybe on the matter of wandering monsters. Is that a thing around these parts, or just around the blown-up city, would you say?"

Ask!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: November 27, 2015, 09:29:09 am »

I stare at the map and silently compare our direction of travel based on what River said and what is in that direction.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: November 27, 2015, 09:40:30 pm »

Spoiler: Characer sheet (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5380 on: November 28, 2015, 10:57:45 pm »

"You tried to kill me! Thus... no!"

Kosak may not know much about advanced technology, but he knew plenty about important things. And that fireball staff thingy looked important. Therefore, he grabbed it, ripped it free from anything it might have been attached to, and threw it at his foe. Preferably before his foe could enter the strange machine.
Certainly, if there's one thing science has taught you, it's that if something is spinning then it is important. So, without further ado, you run up to the fireball. The one that's spewing lighting. And then try to grab the metal pole supporting it.

One of the spinning bits hits you and a jolt of electricity strikes your body. You fall down next to the pole as your body convulses, but fortunately you-... well, fortunately might be an overstatement. You appear to be suffering from a temporary loss of control of your muscles and all the unfortunate side effects that brings.

A few seconds of convulsing under the heat of the giant spark-shooting fireball, the effects subside and you regain control of your body. You get up and grab the pole from its base. Unsurprisingly, it is quite hot. It also stings your hands, causing them to tremble slightly.
: You idiot! What are you doing? Stop it! : the voice comes enhanced from a speaker this time.
The pole is also unsurprisingly sturdy. Whatever is holding it inside the ground (screws, friction or something else, you don't know), it is not giving up easily.
: Stop this instant! Do you know how long it took me to get this thing to work? : the voice continues, coming closer with the sound of the repeated explosions of an internal combustion engine.
But the pole is not invulnerable. With enough pulling and tugging, the pole starts to give way and becomes free from whatever is holding it in place. You almost drop the thing as the pole suddenly stops going up just as suddenly as it started. A bundle of wires is still attached to the bottom of the pole, holding it close to the floor.
: No! You fool! You have no idea what you're doing! : he continues screaming, sounding really close.
You turn around to see the tin-can has reached your position. The arm that looks like a can opener is twitching, opening and closing its spiky tips menacingly, while the arm that looks like pole with a rounded tip is pointing at you.
As you turn around, the fireball starts growing larger, sending electrical sparks at the cage of spinning machines around you, the extra strikes making them glow red and spin much faster than before.
: You!... you!... :
He doesn't sound happy.

Team A
"Make sure I can see your hands, and make sure they're empty."
If she complies go and restrain her with handcuffs (I have handcuffs as the police right?). Then help her to where she indicated. If I don't have handcuffs still make sure she's unarmed, and go help her. Renew mental defenses, never know when someone might stab you in the back.
"O-OK."
The wounded woman tries to be still and non-threatening.
You approach her carefully, get out your handcuffs and force her hands behind her back, trying to apply them as tightly as possible.
"I-I promised. You don't need to do that. Please? It's hard enough to walk as it is and-"
"Shut up and walk!" Joanna says, still pointing her gun at her.
"OK! OK, I'll do whatever you want."
Once the woman is handcuffed, you give her a quick pat on her pockets to make sure she isn't hiding any weapon and then help her up. With that, you start walking. You support her as you walk forward, helping her keep her balance whenever she wobbles or stumbles. You remain alert and careful. Joanna might be pointing a gun at the woman, but you don't want to rely solely on that for your safety. And there's no telling when something unexpected might happen and when things might take a turn for the worst.

The short walk is uneventful but filled with tension. The woman seems to still be in pain, whimpering every time she stumbles and puts more pressure on her injured leg, sobbing and sniffing occasionally. You also can't help but feel Joanna pointing that gun at your back. Not directly at your back, rather at the person next to it, but it is still uncomfortably close, especially considering the person behind the trigger doesn't seem very emotionally stable at the moment. The area is still quiet, save for the sound of snow getting crunched beneath your feet, along with the occasional twig. And you have to remain alert through all of this.

"How much longer?"
"Not long. It's right over there."
You continue until you reach a patch of snow-covered ground that seems no different than the rest.
"There." the woman says, pointing at the ground with her eyes and then looking down.
"There's nothing there." she says as she gets closer to the patch of ground.
"Under the snow. Here, I'll-"
She tries to walk towards the ground but Joanna stops her.
"Not so fast."
Joanna carefully kicks the snow, revealing part of a drawing, part of a double circle about a metre in diameter, with things written inside it in unknown angular symbols, carved into a stone.
"It's a transportation sigil. You just step on it. Then I activate it and it takes you back."
Joanna looks at the drawing for a few moments before looking at you.
"I don't like this. How do we know it's not a trap?"
"It's not! Really! Look, I can go in first-"
"Ha! So you can get ready to stab us on the other side? No. I don't think so."

Team Abandoning duties, WMD

"Might as well. Be nice to be able to act in my own interests instead of whoever them is that are trying to control me."

More talky stuff.
"Good.
Then take this. And use it on yourself."

A hole opens in the air in front of you. You catch glimpses wood and thick red cloth through it, before a knife comes through and clatters on the ground on your left.
"A sacrifice is needed. To seal the deal.
One of blood. Spilled willingly.
Do this and you will join us.
Do this and you will be free."

The knife is ornate, its hilt covered with dark scaly skin and a red ribbon tied around it, it's bottom holding a red crystal rhomboid and its blade holding carvings of strange angular symbols that seem to give off a slight red glow.

Well, that's not sinister at all.

Also, there's some screaming coming from somewhere above.

Keep evading things in any way possible. Try focus my good thinking on them. It's good to gain knowledge of such peculiar creatures!
You charge at the creatures coming out of the wall while screaming "I am happy! Come taste my happiness you reptile scum! I wanna be your happy fun snake friend!".
Sadly, the creatures don't appear to want to be your friend. The keep their distance from you. How rude.
Oh, look. Looking out of the hole in the wall, you can see someone down there, a naked man, lying down in a half-destroyed hovering corridor, looking at a knife. Maybe he can bee your happy fun naked friend!

Staging Area

DreamerGhost
Forgot about this last turn, but you should also be there. Can't have a levelup until the mission is over, but you aren't stuck in the mission anymore if you don't want to be. You can go ahead and do something else if you want.

Order an alcoholic drink of unknown origins.
You blink.
Hey! There's an old bottle there! How did it get here?
And what is it? It's label is missing. All that's there is dust.
Hmmm... Do you dare to try brand X?

"Hookay, this... What... Huh... What?"
"What the..."
You do your best imitation of parrots squawking "What" at each other.
"You could use a more diversified vocabulary friends. Perhaps you'd care to purchase some onomatopoeias? You could use exotic and distinctive phrases such as 'Waaak!' or 'Er...Bwah-ha-ha-hyuck' for only 0.99! Guaranteed to make you stand out in parties!"

"I still maintain that if that brute hadn't alerted Nick, we would have fared much better, at the very least, been able to prepare better.
Hmph, no use crying over it, I suppose, though I would like a thank you for saving Johns skin."

Adam gives another small 'hmph' before turning around and noticing the fungimen band.
"Interesting, what are those?"
You take a closer look at the slightly bioluminescent humanoid mushroom musicians. They seem... normal. Too normal. Nothing different in how they look.
<Musicians. Another player put them here. Aren't they fun?>

((I wanted an IC answer more than an OOC one; wanted to see if it'd stump the entities a bit.  Guess not!))

"Oh.  Uh.  Okay, I guess."  He waved at the group.  "Have fun!"

John returned to his private area, and addressed the ceiling.  "Okay, Zero, what's up?"

((Yeah, sure, just thought the parallel was interesting to point out.
That said, trying to stump him about the nature of the games is probably not the easiest thing to do.))

You walk outside, make your way around the plaza's central fountain and enter your mansion.
The inside is as you remembered it. However when you speak there is no response. Although you do hear voices coming from an adjacent room. So you decide to head that way.
 : -still attempt to. :
 : A waste of resources. :
 : I do it. Am I different? :
 : Yes. :
 : How? :
 : You have different directives. You are a simple and imperfect imitation. You are insignificant. :
 : Then why talk to me? Why play with me? :
Galatea and someone else are in the living room, playing billiard. Galatea is looking at said person, who seems to have just finished executing a shot. The person in question looks like a human trapped in a thick layer of metal, a layer of metal obscuring all his features and leaving behind a basic humanoid shape. There are edges on it, completely symmetrical, as if he was constructed out of pre-made parts and welded together like some sort of mass-produced modern art piece. However there are no seams or welds visible, only slightly menacing edges where it looks like different pieces of the material have merged. Each part and each edge lacks curvature, being almost 2d in a way.

The material gleams like polished iron, with a greyer, less polished shade appearing wherever an edge is formed. There's thick lines of rusty red on his arms below his shoulders (where the deltoid would be), on his temples and between his chest and abdomen, pointing downwards like a V. But as he moves, standing up and turning to face you, you can see that the material is not rigid, not like metal should be. It bends like rubber, adjusting to his new shape, allowing him to move freely, even though the rigid way he moves doesn't seem to indicate he needs the flexibility that provides. You can also see small ridges in it, as if the material is not completely smooth.

He stands at attention, completely unmoving. He looks at you from two hexagonal sockets elongated on the horizontal axis, where the eyes would be. Inside each is a layer of glass, glowing almost imperceptibly red.
 : Hello, John. : the distorted cold voice comes from a trapezoid hole covered by an ultra fine mesh in place of a mouth, the shape making him look like he has a perpetual frown.

Galatea's reaction is much more vibrant in comparison. She frowns momentarily, still looking at the other player, but her frown quickly changes to a smile as she rests part of her weight on her billiard stick, looks at you and silently gives you a small wave.

Campaign

Alan grins in what could be called a malicious manner on anyone who wasn't him. As it is he looks mischievous.

"Hmm. They seem like pretty hyper little buggers. Do they drink at all?"

Spray some coffee beans into the enclosure. If they do drink, summon some cans of Red Bull and dump them into the pen.

Alan abruptly notices River by him.

"Oh hey Rover! Came to check out the fuzzballs? They're pretty awesome. At least I think they're pretty awesome which is why I'm dosing them heavily with caffeine."
"TheyDo drink, butVery little."
You spray a large number of glowing coffee seeds into the enclosure. They don't seem to appreciate them very much. Some of them run towards them greedily, but once they get closer they stop, look at the seeds closely with their giant eyes and then walk away.

You can't can cans due to two twos.

River keeps watching the creatures while remaining alert, his head following their rapid movements in response to your seeds.

((I guess it's sort of a gang sign. Though, for reference, the Thief Sign.))

"Heh, Dragon's Hole," Ike offers usefully. "And yeah, we're technically interested in the east, but our guide doesn't really know as much about what we're looking for and where we're looking for it as we would like."

"Well, that doesn't leave me with too many questions... except maybe on the matter of wandering monsters. Is that a thing around these parts, or just around the blown-up city, would you say?"

Ask!
((No Gang Signs))

"Hm. It doesn't sound like you know that much about what you are searching for. This kingdom may be one of the smallest in the continent, but it is still large. Searching through it, even if you limit yourselves only to what's east of here... With so few men, no plan and no idea where you are going will probably not be easy. Even the guard would have trouble locating someone if they hid in the wilderness. I could sell you this map. It might not solve your other problems, but it will at least let you know where you are and where you can go."

"As for monsters, they are not common. There are creatures lurking around, especially in the night. Animals will hunt or try to protect their young and their territory. But I think an armed group such as yours won't have trouble driving away those brave enough or desperate enough to approach you. They're mostly small carrion feeders after all, they don't hunt so often."

"Monsters on the other hand... You'd have to be really unlucky to encounter something truly monstrous. Some sort of magical creature that actively seeks to harm you or some unnatural danger. Those are rare, at least until you get off the beaten path. If you get too far away from the road, especially if you go too close to the north, then it's anyone's guess. But as long as you're close to civilization, even with the state things are now, you should be safe. I doubt that the roads have been taken over by monsters in the past few weeks after the Tower fell. Things can't be that bad. If they are..."

"You'd be more likely to encounter a bandit. Heard many are hiding in caves close to the hills in the south. Some of those fools tried to raid this place a few months back."

"Maybe you could encounter a slaver if you're really unlucky and the rumours are true. I've heard that some might be around, but nothing more than people talking about what they heard, nothing substantial."

I stare at the map and silently compare our direction of travel based on what River said and what is in that direction.
If you keep following the eastern road, then it's mostly villages and the occasional... tower? Castle maybe? It looks like a drawing of a castle. Those continue until you reach a large city close to the mountains, then the mountains themselves and a pass going through them. And then the map ends.

You don't remember River talking about what was in that direction, at least not recently.

Spoiler: Characer sheet (click to show/hide)
Looks OK. I'll send you a PM sometime.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:33:58 am by Parisbre56 »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: November 28, 2015, 10:59:43 pm »

Drink it. Drink it all.

((INB4 RIP me.))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: November 28, 2015, 11:03:09 pm »

"Do you mind telling me what exactly is happening, then?  Or pointing me to someone who will?"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: November 28, 2015, 11:09:54 pm »

"I think dis a dream, n youer unrealz, ya hear? Yu tel meh what isagonna on, o Isa shootu! I died 3 times today, stillilives! Why!!!"
(Basically, he thinks he's in a dream, and he'll get violent if someone doesn't tell him why he's here. He also asked why he's still alive.)

Pull out my big gun, and shoot it to get everyone's attention.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: November 28, 2015, 11:30:55 pm »

"No."

Kosak rips away the wires at the pole's base, then laughs at the mechanical man.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 521