Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1065157 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Map Time
« Reply #5415 on: December 02, 2015, 01:19:39 am »

"So... you.... want to paint change? That... That is one thing I can provide. Linus? There is a good reason we've been saying that I'm not a beastman. I'm a limited shapeshifter, the only one left of my kind. I've only got a few forms, but..."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: December 02, 2015, 01:54:16 am »

Alan coughs up of blood before answering.

"No, I accidentally swallowed a can of Red Bull I accidentally summoned in my throat and I think I tore my throat. Hope you don't mind letting me use your hand again!"

Run over to where the others are and try to use the elf's hand to trigger my vomit reflex so I hopefully vomit the can up. Even if I don't succeed, all the blood I vomit up will tell the others something's wrong with me again!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: December 02, 2015, 08:21:18 am »

"Electricity's very useful, it can make light, heat things, make music, make things move, and... hurt people. No magic involved, just physics.

There are lots of useful practical things I could teach you that my world has that yours doesn't. Chariots powered by contained explosions, that move on their own faster than any horse. Or how about guns, which use a contained explosion to shoot a tiny piece of metal much faster than any bow. Airplanes are great too, they're machines with wings that fly like birds. Most things in my world are powered by explosions or lightning, which is actually really badass when you think about it."

"Electricity's not really lightning, either, it just comes from the same underlying process as lightning. It's... less dramatic. But way more useful. Can't really tell you about the details, but I do know the general principle of making electric currents. It's not at all like magic, just how things actually work. It's kind of like a water wheel in a way. I can show you, plus other stuff that we've collectively picked up in other realms."

Hopefully secrets for maps is an acceptable trade!

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: December 02, 2015, 09:05:54 am »

Team A
"Is there a way that I can contact you from the other side? If there is I'll go first."
I'm willing to go through first
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5419 on: December 02, 2015, 11:37:48 pm »

Team A
"Is there a way that I can contact you from the other side? If there is I'll go first."
I'm willing to go through first
"Conta- No! I-I mean I don't think so. The transportation circle on the other side will not work. Not without me or someone else there who can power it."
"What if we cut off a piece of you?"
"What? No! I-I have to be alive! You have to keep me alive!"
"You can stay alive with a few fingers missing."
"No! No. It won't work. You have to take me with you."
"Look, I can go through with you. Then when you see everything is fine I can go back and bring her to the other side as well. That would work, right?"

Gah. This would be so much easier if you could just read her mind.

"Sure, sound goo...hey, wait a minute. How do AI know this won't steal my soul or destroy it or that this isn't the sacrifice you need for ultimate power or some junk? Or that when you say 'free' you mean soulless and obliterated from existence?"

Bit more talking. How am I doing on energy? Close to enough to transform, or stab this guy if he shows up?
Physically, you still feel a bit shitty, but you could try transforming. Might work.
"You do not know. But your blood, spilled willingly, is needed.
Your blood will flow into the circles. It will activate the magic.
You do not have to accept my offer. You can stay here."

As if to punctuate his statement, a floating part of the building is obliterated with a fiery explosion, leaving behind an otherworldly light that feels unpleasant to look at.

"Bah. Do you think I care that it's impossible?"

Kosak lets out another laugh... then he charges the tin can man. Target: one of the tin can man's legs. Kosak selects a weak point on that targeted leg, then hits it repeatedly while dodging the tin can man's attacks. Soon it will fall.
: So be it! I will be your end! : he screams as he raises his tin can's remaining hand to strike you.
You can't really walk to approach the thing with the damage on your legs, so you resort to simply throwing your pole towards it.
He twists his hand to block the strike. The ball of plasma goes through the hand, through the tin can and through the wall behind it, leaving a giant hole of vaporized flesh and metal behind. The hollow tin can has no choice but to collapse.
"The only end you'll be is the end of my pole." is what you could had replied if you still had a working mouth.
Unfortunately, you appear to be melting due to fire, so now is probably not the time for clever quips and witticisms. Or maybe it is, if you want to have some famous last words.

I really don't see how one could survive such serious burns, but you managed to remain conscious, so you get to have an action and a chance to do something.

Staging Area

Vomit.
"Ugh. Cleanup on table 3."
<I can't understand why some people drink when they clearly can't hold their liqueur.>
Okay... you're pretty sure your vomit is not supposed to glow.

"Well.  I'll get to the point.  What, exactly, am I here for, and why am I here for it?"
"'What are you here for?' Oh, I understand what the misunderstanding is now. No, 'buddy', you're not here because of something you did. You're not here to be punished for anything. This isn't the afterlife or meddling aliens or the realm of angels. This is the devil's work. Who you are and what you did is mostly irrelevant. What matters is what you are and what you can give us."

"You have some special quality. Something one of us found good enough for the games. And that is why you are here. You're here because we want to have some fun. To watch you flail around, trying to compete in the challenges we create. And you'll stay here as long as we want to."

I Sit in the lotus Position until something/Anything Happens.

Poke him.
Poke him? You hardly know him!

You spend several seconds hovering your finger close to him.
"Not touching! Not touching! You can't do anything to me if I'm not touching you! Nu uh, no touching! Woop woop woop! Here it comes! Here it comes! Getting closer! Hah, psych! Not tou- Oh. Whoops. Touched you."
I Sit in the lotus Position until something/Anything Happens.

Poke him.

Punch em in the face.
You crossed my line of death!
Actually, this is kinda fun!
Shoot more bullets! Full Spray!
Duck.

"Quaaaaack."
Actually, this is kinda fun!
Shoot more bullets! Full Spray!
Engage peacekeeping mode. Summon a ballista. Fire it at him. Repeatedly.
The room seems to erupt into chaos for some reason. People poking other people with their fists, people shooting at people, people going around pretending they are ducks and the bartender throwing bottles at everyone. The fungi-band hangs a sign saying 'Don't shoot the pianist or other musicians, they are doing their best.' and switches to something more fitting to the situation.

John blinked.  Final?  Huh.

"Okay, well let's start with the obvious question: what is the final challenge?  What does it entail?  What do I get for winning... or losing?"
: The final challenge is the final challenge a player will participate in. After it, the player is removed from the games. If the player succeeds, they are free to return to their home world. :
 : Final challenges are awarded special privileges. The entity responsible for choosing one is bound by few rules when it comes to selecting its nature, its target, its environment and its objectives. Almost all targets are valid, although the worlds of entities not participating in the games are not valid targets. No other entity has to be informed. Special systems provide protection from detection and retaliation from the entities of those worlds, although on rare occasions some may chose to cheat and attempt to override those protections. :
 : The player is completely isolated for their duration. That means that no help, equipment or instructions can be provided after the mission has started by the entity interfering with that world directly. Because of that, it is common for objectives covering many contingencies or a piece of equipment that can help with that problem to be provided. On rare cases an entity might chose to accompany the player with one of its avatars. :
 : The lack of protection systems also means that death is permanent. :
 : The final challenge will continue until the player has succeeded or failed. :
 : The specific details of your challenge cannot be revealed at this time. Doing so could lead to dangerous information being released. And I have not yet decided the exact nature of the challenge. That will depend on my assessment and the options available at the time. :

((In OOC terms, once you've succeeded your final challenge, you get in the Hall of Fame and get to create a new character with some extra points, a New Game + if you will.

You can also get some extra, negotiable perks if you so wish. Want to control an entity of your own or an NPC? Want to alter something? Want to have a big question answered? If you want something more as a reward, it can be discussed, even if it sounds crazy.

This is not forced upon you. You are the one that chooses when to participate in the final challenge. Although when you have participated in enough missions, you will be forced to do so. Mostly to prevent really high level characters from dominating the game or making missions incredibly hard for newbies.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: December 02, 2015, 11:46:32 pm »

((Clearly, there is only one way to survive.))

Kosak realized that his death was oncoming. But perhaps he could still live. Or even better...

Kosak used the "interface" to send a telepathic message to his teammates:

<I really do need a drink. Anyway... ARMOK!!!>

Kosak activates Cave-In Meteor. Target- a random direction(hopefully one he intuits booze is in). ARMOK ensues.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: December 02, 2015, 11:48:22 pm »

"Well actually that was my question.  So which one of you was it anyway?"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: December 03, 2015, 01:39:54 am »

((Figured that was what it was, but it's nice to see it IC.  Hrmm... going to have to think about this.  While part of me wants to dive right in, I also am one point short of the upgrade I really want...

Will have to sleep on it.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: December 03, 2015, 01:54:22 am »

Team A, WMD

"Ah, the hell with it. I need a drink. Better have one ready when this is through."

Do the ritual thing.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5424 on: December 03, 2015, 05:36:49 am »

((Figured that was what it was, but it's nice to see it IC.  Hrmm... going to have to think about this.  While part of me wants to dive right in, I also am one point short of the upgrade I really want...

Will have to sleep on it.))
There is no rush. You don't have to decide right now. You may refrain from making a decision for as long as you wish. It's not like I'm going to start a new mission tomorrow, I've still got applications to process.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5425 on: December 03, 2015, 08:51:02 am »

Campaign

"Electricity's very useful, it can make light, heat things, make music, make things move, and... hurt people. No magic involved, just physics.

There are lots of useful practical things I could teach you that my world has that yours doesn't. Chariots powered by contained explosions, that move on their own faster than any horse. Or how about guns, which use a contained explosion to shoot a tiny piece of metal much faster than any bow. Airplanes are great too, they're machines with wings that fly like birds. Most things in my world are powered by explosions or lightning, which is actually really badass when you think about it."

Nikolai remembers his broken hand and wonders if the general noticed.

Edit:
Just before we encountered the legionaries I posted an action to pick up any spare comwires lying around, since it was never actually said how many River made. I doubt there were any more than necessary, but it's worth a check. A couple of those would make a damn good trade good.

Well, he hasn't mentioned your hand. He might have noticed that it is hurt, given how you move it, but you have that shield strapped there, so that might have made it harder to see.

I'm also not seeing any comm-wires in your inventory. I think there weren't any? I mean, if there were, then I probably made a mistake having River make another one for Theri. If there were and I've made a mistake, feel free to correct me.

"Electricity's not really lightning, either, it just comes from the same underlying process as lightning. It's... less dramatic. But way more useful. Can't really tell you about the details, but I do know the general principle of making electric currents. It's not at all like magic, just how things actually work. It's kind of like a water wheel in a way. I can show you, plus other stuff that we've collectively picked up in other realms."

Hopefully secrets for maps is an acceptable trade!
"That sounds... a bit hard to understand and believe. How can you generate enough fire without power stones or some enchanted item or large supplies of wood? That's what self-moving carts and flying machines usually use. Where else would you find enough power for those things?"

"So... you.... want to paint change? That... That is one thing I can provide. Linus? There is a good reason we've been saying that I'm not a beastman. I'm a limited shapeshifter, the only one left of my kind. I've only got a few forms, but..."
"That does sound interesting. If you can provide what you say you can, then it would certainly help cover at least a great part of the cost. It would certainly cover the cost of your stay here for however long it would take me to complete my work. I've never seen anything like that. It sounds like it can be... inspiring."

Alan coughs up of blood before answering.

"No, I accidentally swallowed a can of Red Bull I accidentally summoned in my throat and I think I tore my throat. Hope you don't mind letting me use your hand again!"

Run over to where the others are and try to use the elf's hand to trigger my vomit reflex so I hopefully vomit the can up. Even if I don't succeed, all the blood I vomit up will tell the others something's wrong with me again!
You... you do realize the elf's hand is not detachable, right? I don't see how you can run to the others while using the elf's hand. I mean, elves are supposed to be light and agile and all that, but I still don't think you're strong enough to carry a person. Well, unless the dice say otherwise. Let's roll and see. Nope, no you're not. Let's just stay you go upstairs and do that with your own hand while the elf gets back to its work.

You run upstairs, put your hand in your throat and proceed to spray bloody vomit along with a tin-can all over the floor. The general barely manages to protect the paintings he has lying on the floor, displaying incredibly quick reflexes as he takes a nearby rag and uses it as a shield.

He makes an exasperated sigh and uses a rag to contain the vomit on the floor..
"Can you please keep an eye on him? Do something about him?"
"If you don't, I will." he adds, rubbing his gloved arm with his other hand, as if it is in pain.
He proceeds to use another rag to start wiping the vomit spray from himself and other surfaces.
"I swear not even the animals here were ever this messy." he mutters to himself.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: December 03, 2015, 09:04:07 am »

John looked at Zero quietly for a minute.  "So... once we feel like we've learned enough, this is our ticket out and back home?  Interesting."

He was quiet again for a bit.

"You know, I think I'm going to have to go on another regular mission first.  I don't feel like I am ready yet; I've still got at least one more thing to learn.  After that, I should be good.  So tell me though, Zero; what's the success rate on these missions?  Can you describe any typical ones of the past?  Are you just using us for the real dirty missions on these final challenges?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: December 03, 2015, 09:14:31 am »

((Related entry of me being busy :x
Sorry it's taking me so long to do [just about anything] online!))

...Silently review the things that had just happened, and then review the objective that River has mentioned earlier.
Ponder on our current situation progress in achieving said objective. {Recap please? :-X}
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:25:26 am by Tiruin »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: December 03, 2015, 09:34:44 am »

"Seems Alan's got himself an internal boo-boo. Wonder if it's as likely to mess him up as, say, a ruptured colon."

Escort Alan outside and assuage his fears. Hand him off to River, see if he can't do any cool magic to fix him.

Then come right back.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: December 03, 2015, 10:29:22 am »

"A start's a start."
I undress, elevate my flame orb outside slightly and let it disperse, toss my clothes to Nik, make sure I'm clear of people and flammables, and change to full-human, any remaining flames after the change I collect in small orbs that I direct up near the ceiling, and hold my arms out in Nik's direction.
"I'd like my clothes back please."
if/when he returns them to me, I put them back on.
"This is my fully-human form. I haven't been using it because it seems dishonest to let people assume I'm something I'm not. The form I was in earlier was the form I was born in."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:19:27 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 521