Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1072062 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: After the End
« Reply #6120 on: May 28, 2016, 03:44:16 am »

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 03:49:38 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: May 28, 2016, 04:05:14 am »

"I mean, that's not an indictment of the creative abilities of all the sub-gods. It's just entirely possible that a bona fide God, from what you've told me, the guy who can make the Big Bang when he's not even trying, eclipses the concerns, hopes and dreams of all of his creations by his mere existence and basically anything he creates is like a microbe in the face of his infinite divine potential. It's the sort of thing that the best bar conversations are built upon in my experience, except in this case the things described are actually within our reach in a sense. It's cool to think about. It's possible that none of it's true, of course. You'd probably know better than I would."

"The fact remains, though, that the scope of the universe makes common concerns ultimately insignificant. And once you bring in multiverses, ultraverses, monsterverses, omnipotent beings and infinite creation, all manner and number of things suddenly become very local, very small. It's a beautiful thing, insignificance."
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:06:51 am by Harry Baldman »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: May 28, 2016, 10:09:54 am »

"You don't know the guy, and you're overestimating how much he overshadowed us by a lot."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: May 28, 2016, 03:09:03 pm »

"You don't know the guy, and you're overestimating how much he overshadowed us by a lot."

"He's where your creative powers came from if I understand correctly. The "shell". What made you a demiurge was that he let you use his tools, no? Which means that ultimately he's the omnipotent creator. He's the guy who can afford to move on to other projects. And the deities in that scenario are the middle managers of the creation process. Well-intentioned, useful, but ultimately expendable and shackled to the ground rules initially established. Advisers and overseers with limited administrative access. Could you make a new universe and a set of deities equal to you in power, for instance?"

"All I know is what you're telling me, once again. But you seem to know the guy. What was he like?"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: May 28, 2016, 03:38:58 pm »

"We could do exactly that actually. I personally revised the framework he left and ran it on my own power instead of his for a period while he was away. He was a frustrated, detached, and bored being. He felt everything was too predictable generally, yet he insisted on clarity in what we did and acted to reduce chaos. He decided the other nine were too secure some time after I stepped down, and arbitrarilly established the Deityheart system to make them killable. He wanted risk and excitement in existance. He was intermittantly active and involved in the work we did, and wouldn't have just ended things like they did, with by definition the most boring of endings."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: May 28, 2016, 04:13:54 pm »

"Ooh, now that's a different affair then. Your expositron said something a lot different, is all. Honestly, a lot of it is pretty self-contradictory. There's no time, but there is time. God leaves, but he's still around. You use a god-shell to create the universe, but you can do god things without it, so what's even the point? Might be what contributes to a certain lack of investment in the outcome by God himself, perhaps."

"Though I'd still say it's well in line with what I know of frustrated, detached and bored beings to break creations that dissatisfy them. It's the stereotypical artist. They want to be great, but everything they make looks like shit to them. So they never finish anything, abandon most things and destroy the more ambitious ones before anyone finds out how badly they failed. It's not really a boring ending to a story - it's the logical consequence to the thought 'I don't care what happens to these people'. You drop the story is what you do in that case."

"But what I'm more curious about is what 'power' is in this case, though. Did gods in your universe have a quantifiable power output or something?"

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: May 28, 2016, 04:45:17 pm »

"So... no idea? Seems a little weird if there'd be aliens that had nothing to do with your multiversal threat. Just chugging along after that one sentient race in the corner of the galaxy got snuffed by their own psychic emanations or something."

"I'm sure there were 'aliens,' but it's not like Eido was going to wait until multiple sentient species met together to combat the Shadows. There may have been many more generations and Guardians in different galaxies, fighting against the Shadows all the same. In the end, we never met any other Guardians. Only four generations came together from different worlds or universes that I encountered. Besides, since we were supposed to be the last Guardians, we wouldn't have gotten a chance to find out."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: May 28, 2016, 06:58:21 pm »

"'My power' as in me pushing a door open. It's more a matter of who is doing it than a value of quantifiable power."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: May 29, 2016, 03:19:13 am »

"'My power' as in me pushing a door open. It's more a matter of who is doing it than a value of quantifiable power."

"So what did you lose when you stepped down, exactly?"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: May 29, 2016, 03:25:58 am »

"Everything that made me a deity. The ability to rewrite reality, the knowlege of everything everywhere, all of it. I can't get specific with you on how that changed things though, which I think is what you're asking. It's like... a person born blind asking someone who was blinded in an accident what they lost when they became blind. I could try to explain, but it just plain doesn't work."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: May 29, 2016, 03:58:41 am »

"So you basically just turned into what you are now, then?"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: May 29, 2016, 10:36:20 am »

"Mostly. The Entities did a lot of redesign and broke some things."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: May 29, 2016, 12:02:07 pm »

"What, really? They didn't do that for me. Or did they?"

Ike considers things a moment.

"I guess they might have made me a bit faster? Not sure why though. To make it sporting or something?"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: May 29, 2016, 12:08:25 pm »

"I'm a lot weaker than I used to be. My range is shorter, my control is much weaker, and changing forms..."
I shudder.
"So, maybe?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: May 31, 2016, 11:40:00 am »

Being quiet the whole time her friends were talking, Theri mused over the importance of listening. She found joy in thinking about the simple things: Like being able to listen to your friends speak and ponder over the complex things.

"There are better ways than to provoke someone while they feel uncomfortable, especially if it's someone in the 'hotseat'. But while you're all doing that, what's our current bearing? I forgot that bit there."
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 521