Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1076338 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: After the End
« Reply #6240 on: June 25, 2016, 05:50:40 pm »

Kosak Durar, After The End

"I SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING! GRAAAAGH!"

Kosak breaks free, then walks to the opposite side of the trunk, the side not yet breached, and starts punching that side instead.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: June 25, 2016, 06:10:39 pm »

"Okay"
standing by for his signal.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Special People: Dark Carnivore
« Reply #6242 on: June 26, 2016, 06:57:27 am »

Campaign, Ike!

"Can't stop, won't stop keeping it old school? So cool!"

Skewer this guy on the sword and chuck him into the Eye of Terror to test if Alan is prepared to weather its effects.
You use your sword to make taroid kebab and prepare to cook it over the fires of chaos. The monster moans angrily and tries to hit you or grab you but you manage to shake it and cause its strikes to miss or duck out of their way.
"Noooo..."
Everyone keeps their distance and watches you with shock and curiosity as you approach the chaos portal. The p portal doesn't appear to like the taroid approaching it. Its swirling motion intensifies and bolts of purplish energy start flying into anything close to it. Neither does the taroid for that matter, for its flailing becomes even more frantic, but even at this close distance you easily avoid its strikes.

By now bolts are flying near-constantly from the portal, most of them directed towards the skewered monster. You can feel their energy physically pushing you back. You can feel your hands burning and feel the temptation to let go of your sword. But you keep pushing forward until you're right next to the tear in reality and then kick the monster into it. You immediately jump away from the portal and watch what happens next, ready for anything.

The monster screams as energy strikes it from all directions. The smoke is stripped away from it completely, leaving only its tar-like skin that is now bubbling, rising to meet every bolt that hits it. Its momentum carries it forward until it disappears into the swirling energies of the  chaotic portal, although its distorted screams can be heard for several seconds after that.

The portal has become quite smaller as a result of your actions. It's now a just a bit wider than the average human is tall.

Your sword has also been affected. It appears to have lost it's consistency. It's no longer a straight line. Instead it's like four (sometimes five, six if you count the handle) different line segments that roughly maintain the shape of a sword as it was before. It's as if you're viewing it through a kaleidoscope or a broken lens. Whenever you hold it steady, it changes very slowly, as if the lens you are viewing it through are slowly shifting. But whenever you move it the changes are rapid, as you'd expect from the reflection of an object seen moving through a broken mirror. It feels warm. Holding it makes your hands tingle.

Alan knows no limits of rationality or curiosity! Full steam ahead, cap'n!

Let Ike throw the licorice guy into it first though, gotta be polite.

Okay then. You take a few steps back and prepare to make a running dive into the portal.

"Okay"
standing by for his signal.
You slowly approach the building he indicated. You wait for him to climb the side of the building, alternating between watching him and watching the street. He reaches the top without incident, displaying admirable climbing ability despite his size. That's when you hear a loud warbling scream, that quickly rises in pitch until it becomes almost infrasonic. It makes you want to drop whatever you're holding to close your ears. It's echoed by others moments later, followed by the sound of shattering glass.
"Ambush!" Vind shouts as he tries to slide down as quickly as he can.
<No, no, no. 'It's a trap!'>
You can hear them moving on the rooftops of the buildings of the next street, jumping to those closer to you, or on the next street itself. They're moving quite quickly. One of them jumps through a window facing the main street. A creature with a large conical head and four extremely thin legs, its finer features obscured by the tar-like colour and texture of its body and the smoke-like cover of darkness following it. However, one thing you can see clearly is its legs stabbing into the ground and the hundreds of thin, sharp-looking teeth in its lipless mouth, making it look like it has a perpetual grin. It's body gets close to the ground, beneath its legs, as it gets ready to jump, like a giant toad or grasshopper.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: June 26, 2016, 07:02:31 am »

Alan shows no hesitation, consideration of whatever consequences there might be because of this, or remorse. Instead his face is filled with the purest scientific curiosity - discovery purely for the sake of itself.

And shiny.

I do this knowing that should I die, it will have been for literally the most pointless reason I could possibly find.

SWAN DIVE
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 07:07:19 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: June 26, 2016, 07:07:45 am »

Campaign, Ike!

"Alan, I don't think there's candy in that there portal. I don't think there's any candy at all. Licorice man didn't seem to like it one bit."

Ike holds up his sword toward Alan.

"Also my sword got kinda screwed up in the process of chucking licorice man in there. As your personal doctor I'm afraid I can't let you jump into that portal."

Do I look any different from being near the portal?

Also make sure Alan doesn't jump in yet. It'd be pretty bad for his health I assume. Tackle him if all else fails.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: June 26, 2016, 08:37:25 am »

((Funthrower!  Roger is best entity.

Also, never change Alan.  Alan x John BFF 5ever))

((Paris:  John has access to his spear, right?))

Not yet.  Give them a minute more to work.  Don't need to get to the destination, though.

Keep watching and waiting.  Were the uniformed men armed?  What about the man, who I assume is some sort of doctor?

The time to act is when we are near, but not in, the destination.  Can I tell how far along we are?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: June 26, 2016, 12:21:04 pm »

Roof of flame over the two of us, obscuring us and making the idea of jumping on us a very painful one. Run for a narrow alley. or other chokepoint. if none are near then into a random building we go.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6247 on: June 27, 2016, 04:44:18 pm »

Campaign, Ike!

"Alan, I don't think there's candy in that there portal. I don't think there's any candy at all. Licorice man didn't seem to like it one bit."

Ike holds up his sword toward Alan.

"Also my sword got kinda screwed up in the process of chucking licorice man in there. As your personal doctor I'm afraid I can't let you jump into that portal."

Do I look any different from being near the portal?

Also make sure Alan doesn't jump in yet. It'd be pretty bad for his health I assume. Tackle him if all else fails.

Nope. Not that you can see, anyway. Maybe you've got magi-cancer now. Maybe there's now a face on your back or something. Or maybe you've turned pink but everyone was too polite to point that out. But in the absence of evidence, you'd say you're probably fine. Maybe you just got lucky. The boring kind of lucky, you suppose.

Alan shows no hesitation, consideration of whatever consequences there might be because of this, or remorse. Instead his face is filled with the purest scientific curiosity - discovery purely for the sake of itself.

And shiny.

I do this knowing that should I die, it will have been for literally the most pointless reason I could possibly find.

SWAN DIVE

Ike stands in front of the portal and looks Alan in the eye. Alan returns his stare, snorting and kicking back dirt with his foot.
The two charge at each other while shouting. Ike is clearly the most athletic of the two but Alan has mass on his side. They stay on their course, each of them having no intention of backing down.
And then they collide and comically bounce off. They fall on the ground like a sack of potatoes.

Alan is mostly fine and is quick to recover. I guess he must have had some practice (although a man meaner than me might say he didn't have much to injure).
Ike feels a bit rattled but also manages to quickly regain his bearings. He's been put through enough punishment by now that he is no stranger to it.

Roof of flame over the two of us, obscuring us and making the idea of jumping on us a very painful one. Run for a narrow alley. or other chokepoint. if none are near then into a random building we go.
You slam a big brick of flame over your heads as Vind finishes sliding down and then run away. There are no convenient alleys next to you, the storage building has a large space around it. And it would probably be a bad place to try and defend. So you just run towards the closest house, a two storey thing mostly made out of stone blocks, save for the windows, the roof and the front porch.

The creature loses no time. You hear it leap-running towards your position, closing the distance with great speed. The others of its kind follow it from above, occasionally emitting their distorted calls.

You reach the door and slam into it. Locked. Naturally.
The creature jumps around the corner and into view. The next moment Vind's arrow finds it on its front leg, causing it to lose its balance and slump down with a sad whistle.
"We can't stay here."

You hear the others getting close. In the distance you can hear the trample of approaching footsteps from various locations. Most of them are coming your way.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:51:08 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: June 27, 2016, 05:52:22 pm »

The next moment Vind's arrow finds it on its front leg, causing it to lose its balance and slump down with a sad whistle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_lxMLhJiw

?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: June 27, 2016, 07:11:04 pm »

Campaign, Ike!

((Though the +1 endurance likely makes it impossible, it would be funny if I did actually collide with Alan and die if I'm reading the implied rolls right.))

"No, dude, like seriously, don't jump into the goddamn portal."

Be ready to potentially tackle Alan again if he's still intent on diving into the goddamn portal.

Also get the minions to work on making sure the bandaged dude is all right, and also make sure they look out for any other approaching Taroids.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: June 27, 2016, 10:44:53 pm »

WMD, After the End

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: June 27, 2016, 10:56:18 pm »

"Yeah okay fine, the carrot dimension probably isn't that interesting. No promises if something like this happens with Cheetos, though."

Mmm, Cheetos. Summon a bag and munch on them while I try to remember what we were doing here again.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: June 29, 2016, 02:36:51 pm »

"Find a chokepoint while I buy time!"
Time for a power-play. I still have a lot of fire, time to use it. I shift from defensive walls to a set of good-sized spheres of flame, some near me and some farther out, and wait for the next to show. I'm going to burn them down as they expose themselves. I dedicate two spheres of flame to simply setting fire to anything flammable in the area to give me more fire to work with.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6253 on: June 30, 2016, 05:12:26 pm »

"I know what a gun is, I'm wondering what we were doing there, who we were, how that happened."
"Oh. Simple. You see-"
He snaps his fingers and the picture on the TV changes to that of the familiar bluegreen image of Earth.
"Hey. I was watching that."
Charlie ignores him and continues.
"There was a war that turned into one final catastrophic event. "
Flares appear on the Earth's surface for a few moments and then it quickly turns into something unrecognizable, a dark grey Venusian blob.
"The who, the where, the why, the details are irrelevant. What matters is that the Earth was no more."
As the image zooms in, you can see that the view from up close doesn't look much better. Everything is grey and quickly turning black. The only difference is that the silence is replaced by howling wind, occasionally broken by bolts of lightning or otherworldly moans.
"A slurry of radiation, ashes, bioweapons and nanoweapons, slowly freezing, what little life left on it dying or transforming into the stuff of nightmares through the powers of technology and the reappearance of magic. But while that might have been the end for Earth as you might have known it, that was not the end for humanity."
The sound suddenly cuts off and is replaced by distant clicks and a constant low-pitched noise. That too soon disappears and you are treated to a view from John's medical shuttle
"There remained a single city of men, deep beneath the seas and the earth, one that barely survived the war and its fallout. There was conflict and problems and sorrow and desperation, but they somehow managed to survive and find some stability. They had stopped their fall to extinction, now teetering just on the very edge."
The camera pans to show a structure that looks much like a gigantic tube that extends all the way to the ceiling of this underground cavern, a dying fire visible on one of its sides.
"With their newfound stability, the closest thing the city had to a leader decided it was time for more. They couldn't stay in this hell, in this grave with no future. So they turned their gaze to the heavens. Systems that were meant to support a war that had long since ended were converted, precious life-giving machines were cannibalized, all to give them a chance to reach the heavens and make them their home. It was that hope that helped them keep it together, gave them purpose."
The camera cuts to a missile rising out of the clouds, shedding its corroded outer shell and lower stage. As it rushes past the camera, it activates its engine and zooms into the distance until it starts turning into a point of light surrounded by grey. Cheers can be heard, distorted by radio static.
"Heh. They shouldn't have been stupid enough to hope."
The point of light shines blindingly bright for a few seconds. The cheers turn to screams. There is an explosion and then only silence.
"Indeed. They reached heaven, only to find it occupied. Their precious ship and all their colonists, their hope, their future, their one chance, gone. Destroyed by others. Those others being, as so happens, of an opposing faction in the war, they too managing to barely survive in orbital facilities and vessels that weren't meant for it. Acting out of fear and hate and every other excuse a man can find for killing another."
The camera pans and then zooms in, until a large telescope-like tube surrounded by glowing radiators becomes visible. It follows it up until a much larger structure becomes visible, silver cylinders and shuttles linked together in a semi-coherent manner. The image becomes still and then the camera zooms out, showing Svajoklis with a shocked expression watching the still picture on a screen connected to a battered black box.
"So the leader decide that a different plan was in order. He thought like the sort of person who would survive in that world. He thought like a pragmatist."
"Oh, I wouldn't call him that. 'Desperate', I'd say is the right word."
"And he decided that if he could not save everyone, he would save himself."
The man clenches his fists and gets up, shoving his chair away. The camera cuts to him speaking in a dark corner with someone else, someone invisible.
"His plan was simple, and in a way poetic. Mutually assured destruction. The very same thing whose failure had led them to this point. He removed dusty weapons from storage, reactivated old factories, got his most trusted men to work them. He launched weapons and threatened the people up there to let him live with them, or else."
"One could say it was... MADness."
"And he constructed a ship much smaller. He promised salvation to those working for him, to earn their silence and their compliance. He lied to everyone else, telling them about how their new home in the stars was prospering, how they would soon all be saved."
The camera cuts to a view of stars. Then you notice an area devoid of stars, slowly moving through the screen. The camera pans and the silhouette of the dark missile becomes more visible. It keeps going until a light becomes visible, this time following it as it falls towards the earth.
"But his gamble didn't pay off. The city was attacked by a suicide squad, looking to remove it as a threat once and for all."
The camera follows the light, until it descends into darkness. Then a light appears. Metal being welded. The camera pans, following the welding tool until it reaches the the clunky yet human-shaped form of its mechanical owner. It twists around, hearing something unseen. It stops welding. There's a barely audible buzzing. A moment later, the sound of metal striking metal.
"When the attack came, the city's AI came to the conclusion that the war was still going on. It was under attack. This was a military situation, not a civilian one. And there were no military personnel left to direct it. A rigid and inhuman thing, a thing of alien thinking, it already had to change and adapt in ways it never had before, to find new solutions humans would never consider with nobody to guide it. So it decided that it would be in command, if there was no one left to command it. It would follow its directive and win the war. For its definition of winning, anyway."
<If you believe there can be such a thing as 'winning' in something as wasteful as war.>
"Oh, there can be. Trust me."
The image fades to black and the audio stops.
"We calculated that with the current state of affairs, extinction was almost inevitable. So we put you there to shake things up. Introduce new variables. See what happens. And you've already changed things. Or at least made them more interesting."
He makes a dismissive wave towards the TV and it returns to showing the contestants, currently showing Kosak being covered by an expanding and vibrating layer of grey goo.
"You see our overly stubborn dwarf possibly being killed here? He damaged several mecahnofluid appendages, severely weakening the AIs hold over the city."
The view changes to Rune chasing a poor scientist down some hallway.
"Our bearly skilled shapechanging friend here just prevented a chaotic release of energy that would have occurred in a weapons lab with unpredictable consequences, while the destruction of said lab will probably help in the long run. Assuming there is a long run."
The view changes to you getting shot in slow motion, complete with a flashing white R at the corner.
"And you, by failing to detonate the explosives you had, you managed to prolong the life of the city, instead of having it disappear under the rocks and water."
He lets the normal program continue.
"And events are still unfolding. Who knows what will happen next?"
"It is interesting letting you loose and seeing what happens."

Walking Tank, After the End

Crossbow's gone? Get a sword then. Get close to Svajoklis and pull him towards me as soon as he's in range. Cut him in half.

((Is my force-field gone? Last time it took a building falling on me to disable it.))
((Well, you've had enough bonuses to be able to go way past 10 (got mostly 14s actually), but your opponent also has bonuses due to his weapon and skills and you can still roll low. So roll enough times and you will get hit. And you standing mostly still while your opponent unloaded meant that he had a lot of rolls and time to weaken your shield. He could had probably done a lot better if he had something like a powerful melee weapon, since in the system I'm using guns have a mostly static damage output that isn't affected too much by how good you are at aiming. Being good at aiming can make you do crazy stuff like jumping in a room and taking out ten guys or riocheting a bullet off the ground to hit someone behind cover, but a bullet is still a bullet. No matter how well you fire it, it won't pierce what it can't pierce. You can't make a bullet go faster, you can't make it overexert itself and give 120%. A sword responds better to rolls, meaning it can be much more powerful but also much weaker.))
<Svajoklis, After the End>

Well, running is no longer an option it seems. Let's see how much I can take with me.
Reload, fire again.
Svajoklis does his best to reload quickly despite his hurt arm and raises his gun to fire at the armoured giant that has now started moving towards him again. He manages to get three shots off, only one of which grazes Saevus. Saevus raises his golden arm from behind his shield and its runes get filled with dancing bright lights. Svajoklis fires one last desperate shot at the exposed arm but it just causes a small dent. And then Saevus pulls. Hard.

Svajoklis slams against his arm and gets caught in his iron grip. But he doesn't care. There is no point in being scared or shocked. There's no point being concerned about the wind getting knocked out of him. He knew this would happen. He just has to focus on a single task: Keep shooting.

But even at this range the shot he manages to squeeze off against the monster's head does nothing. The next moment Svajoklis feels a bit light. Then he realizes that something is missing, just as the other half of his body slumps against the ground.

Hawk132
If Saevus had lungs, he'd probably be out of breath right now. A tough man to kill. But nothing a diagonal cut across the chest couldn't fix.

The bullets come before he has a chance to realise what's going on. One of them finds him in his shoulder-blade, making moving his golden arm hard. He turns around to put his shield between himself and the bullets of the 6 men who just got out of the elevator.

As the last of the energy of his shield belt evaporates, it splits off into several points of light that fly around the room. The points of light transform into lightbulbs that float in place on tiny paper wings. They suck the colour out of him as if it was something tangible, making him completely invisible.

DreamerGhost
Svajoklis, meanwhile, reappears back in the Staging Area.
"Hey man. Good show. I was certain you had him there for a moment."

Spray the scientist with acid and consume him for the biomass. He was kind enough to put himself into a tin for me. Then, use the biomass to increase in size.
You attack the scientist, but the attack doesn't immediately incapacitate him, as his clean suit seems to offer some protection. He manages to overcome his shock quickly, jump through a nearby door and close it behind him.
WMD, After the End

"You should stay out of my way."

Pull out my gun to shoot whatever happens to be in front of me, then try to hit anyone still standing there with my eyes. Move forward before I get shot.
You raise your gun while surrounded by angry men pointing their weapons at you. Somehow, through blind luck or maybe because you took them by surprise, you manage to not get hit. You also (unsurprisingly) hit nothing. You attempt at a supernatural attack also misses. Then you start blindly running forward in the highway, once again managing to evade enemy attacks.

I dunno who you bribed at Random.org, but he must have misheard you, because he's making everything miss, not just the bullets going towards you.

Kosak Durar, After The End

"I SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING! GRAAAAGH!"

Kosak breaks free, then walks to the opposite side of the trunk, the side not yet breached, and starts punching that side instead.
You manage to move away from the trunk and the puddle, but it stays on you and keeps spreading and hardening, constricting you. It's starting to close around your chest like a snake, making it hard to breathe.
<Have you ever had a dream, Kosak, that you were so sure it was real?>

((Funthrower!  Roger is best entity.

Also, never change Alan.  Alan x John BFF 5ever))

((Paris:  John has access to his spear, right?))

Not yet.  Give them a minute more to work.  Don't need to get to the destination, though.

Keep watching and waiting.  Were the uniformed men armed?  What about the man, who I assume is some sort of doctor?

The time to act is when we are near, but not in, the destination.  Can I tell how far along we are?

((Yep. You've got yer spear. Frankly, I forgot to roll for it, but a quick roll tells me it was not in the part of your body you lost. So it's in your remaining arm, where people probably either overlooked, failed to see it because it was under your clothes or thought it was some fancy bracelet and failed to remove it.))

Doc is unarmed. The others... well, the one in here is certainly armed, you saw a pistol. The others were probably too, although you didn't see them clearly.

It turns out it takes a lot of electronics to fly a rocket car, much of which consists of sensors and flight assist software. They give you a nice view of where you are. You are approaching Central. Going for the the lower top floors.

Any idea how long you are going to wait before you make your move? Five minutes before you land? Or should I just keep going and you'll tell me when you're feeling comfortable?

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: June 30, 2016, 05:50:46 pm »

Walking Tank, After the End

One player down. Now to slaughter these mooks. I've got invisibility and a good blade. Also, a bling-cannon. Let's put them to use.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 521