Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1075568 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Fistful of Silence
« Reply #6570 on: November 28, 2016, 10:44:48 am »

"It means living your life the way you want it. To free yourself from anything that is holding you back."
"It means to live your life to the fullest. What living your life to the fullest means though, that's up for interpretation. I mean, if you're going to believe the idiocies he's spouting-"
"Oh, now what's with the ad hominem? Run out of good arguments? Or are you just trying to get me to kill you again? Because you'll have to try harder than that."
"I have to try? I thought you always want to kill me."
"True, but that doesn't mean I am constantly trying."
"Yeah it does. You see this guy talks about being free, but in the end he's just a slave of his obsession with me."
"Hah. You'd wish. Just because you're obsessed with yourself doesn't mean everyone else is."
"... I think you lost me."
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6571 on: November 30, 2016, 04:49:58 pm »

Saevus, After the End

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The bots stop firing their lasers and instead focus on Saevus. One after the other, they launch their grappling hooks, trying to grab his shield and the MG mounted on it. Then they all reverse, trying to pull him down. For a moment the two are equally matched, Saevus barely managing to hold his ground while the bots' wheels skid on the concrete and roots. The next moment Saevus starts winning the tug of war, pulling them back and threatening to flip them. But then the machine next to him creaks. Before he can react, a pressure vessel ruptures, filling the area around him with white foam and dust. The effect doesn't damage Saevus but it is enough to tip the scales to the bots' favour. He is forced to let go of the shield and his MG to avoid falling down.

It takes less than 5 seconds for the dust to settle. Seconds punctuated by the roots pulsing with light, echoed by flashes of light coming from within the dust. When it finally dissolves, it reveals a visibly straining Saevus' in control of a giant freaking ballista.

<It's times like these that I wish Saevus was more caught up with modern slang.>
<Oh? Why is that?>
<Because now would be the perfect time to say 'Yeah. I can summon big guns too, biatch.'>
<Oh, yeah, I can totally see that.>

WMD, After the End

You attempt to use the terminal to release the cables. Instead, you manage to explode the crane's hydraulics and lock the sub in place a few feet above the hole. Maybe jiggling the thing was a bit too much for tubes and pressure containers that had gone unused and unmaintained for so long.

Well, I suppose it is time for percussive maintenance. You go out, transform and start yanking on the crane, trying to either break its grip so that you can release the sub, cut the cables and finally get the hell out of here. As you do so, you sort of feel something click inside the sub, some sort of electrical whir. You instinctively pull away just as its propellers activate, slicing at the air where your appendages were moments ago. Frankly, you're not really sure how much damage it can do to you, those propellers don't look too sturdy, but you'd prefer not to damage the sub, since you need it to get out of here.

Alan, Ethical Person

"Thanks for your contribution to science, little kid! If you experience any mutations or agonizing magical phenomena, be sure to contact me! I'm Alan."

Go report my findings to the gardener dude.
By gardner I assume you mean "healer". Said healer is not very happy about what you report to him. Instead of telling you more about your plant he immediately takes off to go examine the child. Hm. Well, he was probably unhappy with the amount of data you gathered and needed more. So you follow him.

When you find the kind, he is in bed with serious stomach pain and has started turning an unhealthy shade of pink. The healer immediately goes to work, trying to bring his temperature down and figure out what is wrong with him.

Campaign, Ike!

Wait, there's a fight in the east?

In any case, if they're really itching to get themselves killed, they're free to come along! Meatshields and expository victims are always welcome!

Oh, and get more mules, one for each of us. Maybe an oxcart for the other mooks.

Yeah. Basically the Sovereignty in the east apparently decided to exploit this kingdom's weakness and invaded, taking a major city and raiding the surrounding area. See Theri's part here if you want a bit more info. Or just ask for specifics.

With the help of the mooks you get a bunch of mules and oxcarts. You spend a good part of the day organizing your little caravan.

What was reviving Nik like?
First you find a nice stone table. Then it was sterilized by fire and the soulsphere was placed on it. Then the sword weaved a frame for his body out of semi-transparent grey lines, starting from soulsphere  and the bones surrounding it and working outwards. The weaving was complicated and took quite some time, as every bone, every nerve and every muscle was woven to very fine detail. Whenever a part was finished it was "baked" in white fire and took a darker appearance, closer to how you would expect them to be, but still monochrome. Finally a great vortex of fire and light was aimed directly at the body from above, focusing, becoming thinner and more intense until all was left was a line of light aimed at his heart, at where the soulsphere once was. As his body was slowly uncovered, you could see that it was now a normal human body. A final pulse of light travels down the beam and hits his chest. And for a moment he looks gigantic, as if the whole room revolves around them, a great kaleidoscope of giant Nikolais divided by writhing purple and teal filaments. And then it all fades and you are left with a complete Nikolai. Its work is done.

When it was done, the sword informed you that it would need some time to recover before it would be at full strength and could attempt something like that again. It also informed you that since Life is not its primary discipline, the body created won't be exactly as it was before death, but the changes are not very important and it should return to its natural state overtime.

As for Nik himself, he didn't feel anything during the process. He just woke up from a dreamless sleep, feeling a bit tired and weak but otherwise fine.

Wake up
You wake up. You feel normal. Maybe a bit weak.

I assume Irine would have had someone cloth you and take you to the healer's home where they could watch over you while you slept.

"It means living your life the way you want it. To free yourself from anything that is holding you back."
"It means to live your life to the fullest. What living your life to the fullest means though, that's up for interpretation. I mean, if you're going to believe the idiocies he's spouting-"
"Oh, now what's with the ad hominem? Run out of good arguments? Or are you just trying to get me to kill you again? Because you'll have to try harder than that."
"I have to try? I thought you always want to kill me."
"True, but that doesn't mean I am constantly trying."
"Yeah it does. You see this guy talks about being free, but in the end he's just a slave of his obsession with me."
"Hah. You'd wish. Just because you're obsessed with yourself doesn't mean everyone else is."
"... I think you lost me."
"Don't trouble yourself. Just an old disagreement. Nothing to be concerned about."
"Yeah. Besides, you have more important things to concern yourself with. I heard that due to your victory, you might get a special something..."
"Indeed. The operation will be beginning shortly."
"So... while preparations are being made for the operation, would you care to share your opinion on this for us?"
"How attached are you to your body? How important is it to you?"
"Would you give it up to gain more power? Alter it irreversibly?"
"There are people that take dangerous body-altering drugs just to gain a tiny bit of extra strength over their opponents. Would you consider that? Or is it only booze for you?"
"I mean look at those two." he says while pointing at the TV screen where the magically-animated suit of armour that is Saevus and the mutilated cyborg entombed in layers of armour that is John are fighting each other, the knight of magic against the knight of science.
"Would you mind having a body like theirs if it meant you would be more powerful?"

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: November 30, 2016, 07:05:05 pm »

Was I doing anything?
You're back in the staging area. I suppose we could give you levelups and start preparing for the next mission while those three finish up with that mission.
You could.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: November 30, 2016, 07:13:46 pm »

Kosak Durar, Staging Area:

Kosak's face muscles contort. They show... revulsion, mixed in with a bit of anger.

"No. No, no no no. NO."

Kosak calms after a few moments of "no, no, no", further repeated.

"I once received a similar offer to yours. A weremouse offered to turn me during his next full moon. I sent him through the nearest wall in refusal. I'm a dwarf, and my strength will come from my body alone, not any arcane enhancement."

"But... I'm sure you are aware of my greatest weakness. If you could remove its effects on me while keeping it itself in place, that I would accept, provided no side effects were caused."
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: November 30, 2016, 07:14:43 pm »

John, After the End

Spoiler: A nice trick! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:32:44 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: November 30, 2016, 07:32:31 pm »

WMD, After the End

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 03:46:14 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: November 30, 2016, 07:33:06 pm »

Saevus, After the End

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 02:37:56 pm by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: November 30, 2016, 08:09:10 pm »

Alan, Certified Medical Professional

"Oopsie daisy! Looks like you might need some stomach relief, little kidlet."

Summon a bottle of Pepto Bismol (regular-sized) to help out with the kid's stomach pains. If it looks like his condition is reaching critical mass, take a few steps back out of the potential splash zone.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: November 30, 2016, 09:13:17 pm »

Please auto Theri in the meantime, either in talking with San, or hanging out with Irine. Stuff is happening on the player's part that is causing her to be unavailable to play at the moment. :-\

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: December 01, 2016, 04:12:44 pm »

Look around. Stretch.
"Hello Irene. Feels good to be alive again! What did Nikolai miss?"

((I probably won't be very active because of college eating all my time.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: December 01, 2016, 04:56:31 pm »

Campaign, Ike!

"The sovereignty of what now? Are they maybe ruled by a shadow emperor? Yes? No?"

I have no idea what you yobs are talking about, but do go on.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: December 01, 2016, 05:03:41 pm »

Well, um, everyone else got clear of the mage's tower okay, Ike and Alan retrieved your soulsphere, but River went off on his own and hasn't been seen. We regrouped, reached a village that was under attack by shadow or void creatures, and tried to save it. it... kinda worked, but a lot of the place was burned down. Under the old church was a tomb with some magic artifacts, including a sentient firesword. It liked me, so we're working together for now. Ike got some armor from there too. the firesword is good enough with the magic of this place it was able to revive you, though it's been weakened by the exertion. Theri and I are still healing from our injuries in the fighting, and Ike is a local leader now of sorts. He's trying to get us stuff we can use to continue our journey. Oh, and um, the way I look now seems to be a lasting side-effect of... what I had to do to stop the shadow/void things.

Here's some of the changes in appearance Irine has undergone.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: December 01, 2016, 11:24:46 pm »

Look around. Stretch.

((GAH, You're back now that I'm being busy :'( Nice to see you again NAV!
@Lenglon: I believe you can use my character pretty well so if there's anything needed; act for her :D A major point I've seen is only the background with San--summarized idea was he's separated from his people due to a beast-person/monster attack, and as the GM is making a map, his location is along the path we're taking since we [mostly I?] chose to continue the campaign instead of retreat with River-soulsphere.))
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:26:18 pm by Tiruin »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: December 02, 2016, 12:36:29 am »

Look around. Stretch.

((GAH, You're back now that I'm being busy :'( Nice to see you again NAV!
@Lenglon: I believe you can use my character pretty well so if there's anything needed; act for her :D A major point I've seen is only the background with San--summarized idea was he's separated from his people due to a beast-person/monster attack, and as the GM is making a map, his location is along the path we're taking since we [mostly I?] chose to continue the campaign instead of retreat with River-soulsphere.))
((Thank you for the honor, and I'll bear that in mind regarding San.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: December 07, 2016, 03:40:06 pm »

Well, um, everyone else got clear of the mage's tower okay, Ike and Alan retrieved your soulsphere, but River went off on his own and hasn't been seen. We regrouped, reached a village that was under attack by shadow or void creatures, and tried to save it. it... kinda worked, but a lot of the place was burned down. Under the old church was a tomb with some magic artifacts, including a sentient firesword. It liked me, so we're working together for now. Ike got some armor from there too. the firesword is good enough with the magic of this place it was able to revive you, though it's been weakened by the exertion. Theri and I are still healing from our injuries in the fighting, and Ike is a local leader now of sorts. He's trying to get us stuff we can use to continue our journey. Oh, and um, the way I look now seems to be a lasting side-effect of... what I had to do to stop the shadow/void things.

Here's some of the changes in appearance Irine has undergone.
"You call that a sword? It barely counts as a dagger. Just kidding, tell your sword I owe it one, and you too of course.
...So what did you have to do to stop the shadow/void things?"
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 521