Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1076791 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Photon Carnage
« Reply #7140 on: November 14, 2017, 12:05:08 am »

((I had a sword?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7141 on: November 14, 2017, 06:37:55 pm »

Alan, Perhaps Literally Ocean Man

Alan smiles in semi-realization (as much as he can in his current state). "I think I get what you mean, my dude. Who are you, by the way?"

Silly other people! Try saying hi to one of them. Brad if I can see him, or Ike maybe. I know him well enough to know that he'll probably run himself silly looking for me when I'm already in front of him.

((I've apparently been transmuted into being a water elemental of some sort, or at least have had my consciousness transferred into the overall water-borne intelligence that makes up all the water magic here. Something along those lines. Neat!))
I am the Ocean. says the Ocean. Well, obviously. Maybe the right question would had been 'What are you?'. Unless that received the same answer.
As are you.

Brad is currently making his way away from Chizra and towards the east, carrying his haul: Eyes glowing with Chaos energy and feathers plucked from the head of the Ocean.

You let go of yourself and try to direct you towards Brad. As you diffuse further and further lose yourself, you are able to speak to Brad through the objects he is carrying.
<Hi!>
"Dafaq?!" Brad exclaims as he hastily removes his backpack and throws it away.
"Who's there?"
<It's me! Alan!>
"What? How?"

((I had a sword?))
Ike had given you a sword from one of the guys he butchered in the refugee camp at one point. I think it's a good thing you forgot about it.

Redistribute the weapons I don't need among the needier murderhobos. That's the monster hunter spear, short rogue sword, kitchen knife, glass shiv. Also Alan's personal protection sword that he left behind (he won't notice it's gone and shouldn't be around sharp objects anyway) and Zechariah's nailboard (he is better off using his staff) as long as no one objects.

After proving that I am in fact generous and not greedy, find some recruit willing to be my squire! Responsabilities include carrying things and reloading my crossbow.

You muster the willpower to resist the call of your inner magpie and give up some of your stuff to those in need. You also give up some of the stuff of others, which is quite easier. You should try being generous with other people's stuff more often.

That done, you find a gullible young man and convince him that carrying your stuff is actually quite cheap a price to pay for all the special training and knowledge and respect (and women) he will obtain by being your squire. You're pretty sure that since you're not a knight you technically shouldn't have a squire, but you're not letting such a technicality get in the way of your comfort. If anything, he should be paying you, what with all the 'crossbow-loading' experience you are giving him, that thing is killer on a CV. ((Slide typing keeps trying to correct "squire" into "sweetie". I have to admit, doing that to the above paragraph makes it quite funnier.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: November 14, 2017, 07:56:24 pm »

Sir Nikolai the generous, Campaign

"Comrade squire, what's your name?"
Jokes on the squire, Nikolai is going to actually try to get to know him a bit and give him a bit of training. Nikolai isn't actually that great at fighting but he thinks he is and maybe he can instill that same confidence in his squire.

First though, get to know him. Maybe have a few drinks together and trade stories.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:59:52 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: November 14, 2017, 09:15:57 pm »

((Have I mentioned I really like the effort you put in your character's reactions?))

Your doll gets up and tries to attack the twisted doll. The strike connects but the twisted doll immediately flickers back out of the way. It sports a gash now, but it doesn't look like it's in any way impeding it. It's only making it angrier. It suddenly rushes forward and tries to grab your doll. The two struggle for a bit, each trying to overpower the other.

While the two fight, you try to overpower the presence through sheer willpower. For a moment it feels like it's working, like you're reaching into the doll, your mind overpowering the presence and regaining control of the doll. But then you feel something shift, like the presence suddenly gained twice the mental strength it had. It easily overwhelms you, rendering all efforts to regain control useless. Did it really grow stronger? Or was it holding back, conserving its strength, toying with you, trying to torture you? Whatever the answer may be, one thing is certain: going head to head with this thing will most likely not go well for you.

With no other option left, you leave the still fighting doll to its doom and run along with your one remaining doll into the nearest door. You get inside and slam the door behind you. That should buy you a few seconds.

Beyond the door is a service area, a large kitchen from the looks of it. You bet that when this place had people living in it (if it ever did), this place would had been full of servants carrying platters and trays and chefs with tall white hats standing over fiery ovens ands huge bubbling pots, stirring their contents with big wooden ladles while their assistants sliced vegetables and chopped large stakes. However, at the moment, it is as empty and lifeless as the rest of this place, all the cooking implements and protective clothing neatly arranged on hangers and shelves and inside various cupboards. The only light comes from a lamp sitting on a wooden table, surrounded by 3 wooden chairs. You can't see the entire room from here, but for the sake of expediency, if you go further in, you'll find a flight of stairs leading down and another hallway with two doors, one leading into the large dining room (you don't know where the other one leads).

The alien presence recedes from your mind but its aura remains in the form of the two of your dolls it now controls, still connected to you but obeying the thoughts of their new master. You see through their eyes as they approach the door you've hidden behind, you hear their approach. You can't see the twisted doll but you know it can't be far.

(I had a feeling that you'd liked it and, at the risk of sounding like Napoleon, sometimes I'd even impressed myself. Also, are you going to update your Tv Tropes page to account for the additional characters or would you like to wait a bit later?)

Slamming the door shut, Napoleon struggled to hold down his rapid breathing as he pressed against it. Though he knew that the fight wasn't over yet, a creeping awareness of his own inferiority rose inside of him. Despite all of his boasting and displays of superiority, Napoleon is nothing more than a puny and strange human who is just playing tactician. Hell, the nickname he'd chose for himself, 'The Doll Prince', is appropriate given that he isn't worthy of considering himself a real prince. Perhaps he should just throw open the door and let the twisted doll rip him to shreds. Perhaps his father was right to treat him as worthless-

Suddenly, the thought concerning his father filled Napoleon with anger. With a vicious shake of his head, Napoleon dispelled the worthless thoughts. Sure he wasn't a tactician who can concoct plans that have zero chance of failure and sure he doesn't qualify as a real prince but so what? If things always go according to plan, would the resultant victories eventually become boring? Would things get to a point in which he would purposely fail just to obtain even a modicum of excitement? Sure he may be faced with a conundrum at the moment but if he survives this ordeal and this place tonight, he'll be bragging about it later. After all, he is the Doll Prince and he isn't that fond of empty boasts.

Encouraged, if only adequately, by his self-assuring thoughts, Napoleon did a quick reevaluation of his foe. Not only does the twisted doll has the ability to commandeer his dolls and to blink sporadically to move but its mind was strong enough to resist even his own. Whether it became such a monster because of either some sort of influence this place have or due to the actions of an unknown entity, Napoleon didn't know. However, what he did know was that it seemed to only be capable of assuming direct control by making direct contact with the dolls and its reaction time doesn't seem to be all that supernaturally fast as the second doll was able to injure it before it too was turned. Unless the twisted doll is actually holding back on its agility, Napoleon saw no reason why it would risked getting injured or even killed just to toy with him. Therefore, he surmised that while it was fast, it was vulnerable to ambushes. Sure it was very risky to form such a conclusion about his foe but a risk is often better than inaction.

A plan forming in his head, Napoleon thought about his crown. Whenever he took it off his head, it always disappeared in a puff of red smoke and gold sparks before reappearing on his head after a few seconds. Incorporating it into his plan, Napoleon glanced at the lamp on the table and the doll next to him. With a small smile, Napoleon snuffed out the candle he was still holding and pocketed it. Satisfied, Napoleon begin to execute his plan and any possible contingencies:

Lock the door or use any objects within reach to wedge it shut, knowing that this may temporarily keep them out. After changing the doll's color to black to help it blend in better with the darkness, Napoleon will go with it to the table. Positioning it in the shadow of the table, Napoleon will sit in a chair with his back to the door, pretending to moan in despair as the twisted doll and its new puppets enter the kitchen. Once he sensed that it was near, he will remove his crown. If all goes well, the burst of smoke and sparks will stun the twisted doll enough for Napoleon to deliver the coup de grace with the sword, summoning two more dolls to engage the commandeered dolls in melee. If the twisted doll somehow survives the sudden attack, the doll hiding in the shadows will leap onto the table and throw the lamp at it as Napoleon moves out of the way, hopefully hitting it and stunning it or, better yet, setting it on fire. Napoleon will unsummon any doll who gets grabbed by the twisted doll as he engages it in melee. If all else fails, Napoleon will unsummon any dolls that are still under his control and make a mad dash for the stairs.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: November 14, 2017, 09:23:25 pm »

((Okay, so I figure any Alan-related-retcons that might have occurred would have by now, so time to go ahead and start posting actions / reactions / questions))

how did Ike's new recruits react to Irine? From what I was reading about Chizra they might have some rather strong reactions to her and TriSword.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: November 14, 2017, 09:36:52 pm »

John, on the Maximus

"Making progress!"

Can I cut power to the turret itself?  If that way isn't obvious, then try to just close the doors on the turret, now that I'm closer to that source.

If I can indeed cut power to the turret, do so, then try to configure the doors so we can get in.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:31:07 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: November 15, 2017, 05:53:59 am »

Campaign, Ike!

"Damn, he's either learned some next level urine tricks or something real unusual has happened to him. Either way this trail ain't getting warmer."

Can some of the guys point me to, say, the bed of said known ne'er do well so that I can pick up his scent? Seems like a valid suspect or at least the last known contact.

Whatever the result, introduce Irine to everyone. Especially the Headwater. Show off all the cool shit we got and tell her all about our adventures in the process.

"... and this is a glass container full of dangerous void magic shit, let's call it witch-jelly, and if the glass sphere should rupture it ought to have an effect not unlike a dirty bomb in an unclear, but presumably wide area..."
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:55:59 am by Harry Baldman »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7147 on: November 15, 2017, 08:17:06 am »

"Making progress!"

Can I cut power to the turret itself?  If that way isn't obvious, then try to just close the doors on the turret, now that I'm closer to that source.

If I can indeed cut power to the turret, do so, then try to configure the doors so we can get in.

The turret is a separate system. Icarus said the turret was using its own internal power source and gave you its location (somewhere opposite and slightly below the barrel). You could try stabbing it there, but there was the issue that the turret was rotating (it's currently sitting still but it could start moving again). You could always try holding onto its surface with your boots but you're not certain how good sudden acceleration will be for your squishy insides and bony bones.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: November 15, 2017, 10:40:26 am »

<Svajoklis, water near Maximus>

Try not to bleed to death, hope that with turret gone our ship with totally existing medical faculties can come over and put me back together.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: November 15, 2017, 01:12:08 pm »

WMD, Space Mission

Follow the tiny man's directions in the most expedient way possible, which includes tearing through obstacles if the tiny man doesn't indicate I shouldn't. Keep charging and hoping for an RME to save me, like allowing me to breath the liquid or providing a stable breathable air supply for me or something. Use my Willpower to help this happen.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:00:39 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: November 15, 2017, 02:11:53 pm »

Alan, Sea Guy

<Well, after I put that magic kool-aid in my eye, I turned into the ocean! I also met this guy/girl named Ocean. So yeah. I'm an ocean man!>

Keep talking to Brad; ask him how the heist went. He get anything cool, or manage to get through that door?

Oh, and can I see Zech anywhere?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: November 15, 2017, 09:25:00 pm »

Kosak Durar:

There's a guy with a shotgun bleeding out? If I can reach him, pull him down to the hull... and do nothing else because Kosak doesn't have any doctor skills.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: November 15, 2017, 09:30:50 pm »

"Making progress!"

The turret is a separate system. Icarus said the turret was using its own internal power source and gave you its location (somewhere opposite and slightly below the barrel). You could try stabbing it there, but there was the issue that the turret was rotating (it's currently sitting still but it could start moving again). You could always try holding onto its surface with your boots but you're not certain how good sudden acceleration will be for your squishy insides and bony bones.

Okay.  Cut it down for clarity.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: November 16, 2017, 01:37:22 am »

I tried to make things more interesting for our two new contestants and gave them little adventures instead of a straight intro. This helps in three ways:
1) It lets both me and them test their abilities and get a feel for them.
2) It lets me test their playstyle and their character's... character and see if the entity I chose for them is a fun match.
3) It keeps them occupied with something more interesting than talking and dicking around in the staging area while saving me effort since I don't have to plan as much as a regular mission. Also, I don't know if I can run a good mission with just two people. If we get three now, I might just run a small one with smaller rewards, maybe just 1 Upgrade Point for victory.
4) I find it fun. The fact that they have interesting abilities and put some effort in their backstories helped, of course. I hope they find it fun too.
(Very interesting. For the record, I appreciate the effort that you're putting into Stephano's adventure. I'm finding it enjoyably challenging.)

Stephano Falcone

Stop moving, turn around toward the security station, and speak out loud in a polite manner with a friendly smile on my face.

"Sure. What can I do for you, Sir?"

Cooperate with the security officer. Be friendly. Then do the following based on what happens:

If the guard asks me for more information or identification:
Provide the identification I have available to me. If he wants to know why I was here, tell him that I was interrogating a certain person as part of my investigation of the terrorist group known as Rockslide. If he wants to know more details, tell him that he'll need to speak to my superiors, as I am not permitted to go into further detail.

If after cooperating, the guard lets me continue:
Then continue toward the stairwell and the exit.

If the guard identifies me as an escapee at some point:
If the guard is out of my reach, then run to the stairwell, and try to follow the signs as I rush toward the building's exit.

Otherwise, if the guard is close to me, then take out my multi tool and stab him in the neck with the sharpest instrument on the multi tool. Afterward, wrestle him to the ground and grab any weapons or radios he has on his person and toss them away while I remain on top of him. If he's still significantly struggling, stab him in both of his legs. Then get up and quickly back away from him, while keeping my concealed eyes on him. Grab up the items I had tossed away from his person. If he is on the verge of dying or makes any sudden dangerous moves, then remove my sunglasses and stare at him until he is fully healed. Afterward, while he is suffering the side effects from my ability, replace my sunglasses, go over to him, and strangle him into unconsciousness.

In any other situation:
Adapt as best as I can to bypass the guard peacefully. Prioritize actions that can prevent the guard from alerting the rest of security. Resort to violence only as a last resort.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:39:31 am by GigaGiant »
Insert witty signature here

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: November 16, 2017, 08:39:57 am »

((Okay, so I figure any Alan-related-retcons that might have occurred would have by now, so time to go ahead and start posting actions / reactions / questions))

how did Ike's new recruits react to Irine? From what I was reading about Chizra they might have some rather strong reactions to her and TriSword.
Theri sticks by Irine and River and San, and generally acts as a hopefully-efficient support unit to the IKE ARMY.
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 521