Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1075910 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome
« Reply #7620 on: June 09, 2018, 10:35:27 am »

The two mages with you believe it should be safe to send a message. They agree that it is unlikely that anyone would detect your message. Any general magic detection spells would had been triggered by the spells you and the other teams used while approaching. Not to mention that most magic detection spells are weak and imprecise when spread out over such wide areas. Furthermore, Mind magic is so rare many people don't even know it exists so it is rarely included in detection spells. So to detect you someone nearby would have to be searching specifically for Mind magic, which is highly unlikely.
Theri nods politely and thankfully in response to the depth of information and signals the others as to a quick sitrep of what had occurred.

"Civs ok. Cannot arm. Barricading suggested. Proceed?" was a gist of her message.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7621 on: June 17, 2018, 07:22:09 pm »

Seems interesting. I'll join the waitlist.

Name: Midnight Edgeman
Ability: Edginess
Appearance: A man wearing shades, a skull bandana, a hood, and a red and black trenchcoat.
Bio/Personality info: Probably the definition of edge.
Other: I want his starting weapons to be a blood-red katana and dual edgy revolvers, dubbed the 'Misery Extingushers'.
You wake up.

The soft rumbling of the plane's rotors was just interrupted by an explosion.
"See you on the ground. If you can make it." you hear a muffled voice.
You catch a glimpse of the person in a dark wingsuit jumping off the side of the plane.
You have no idea how you got here.
A moment later something slams to the top of the plane, causing a big dent to form on the hull.

Generating, changing the shape and hardening, like that guy from Naruto.
Here's my sheet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You wake up.

You find yourself walking through an empty grey plain. Hm. Maybe still dreaming then.
There's a figure in front of you, dressed in a cloak a slightly darker shade of grey than his surroundings.
"You have been chosen, warrior, to receive the gift of ultimate power. But first, you must prove your worth."
Before you can think too much about it, the man draws his sword and slashes towards you.
You fall through a tear in the world and slam into a piece of metal, making a big dent in it. Immediately the strong wind starts pulling you towards the edge of the curved metal surface.
You realize this metal tube with wings is flying through the air, slowly falling towards the ground. You can see clouds passing above you and forests extending below you.

You repeatedly pull the trigger, sending bullet after bullet towards the creature, and don't stop shooting until you hear the gun's bangs turn to clicks.

As the echoes of the gunshots die down, you watch the creature stumble and fall. You're not certain if you actually hit it or some ricochet did, but the end result is the same. It's dead.

Not wanting to wait for more cages to open, you run towards the end of the corridor and start pushing the doors open. The moment you do, some mechanism activates and starts pulling the door for you. And then a split second later you hear a buzzing as the rest of the cages behind you open.

You and Jack rush through the door as quickly as you can. The mechanism continues pulling the door open. You push forward instead, leaving the dolls to distract the monsters running towards you, growling angrily.

As you keep running, lights turn on somewhere high above, illuminating your surroundings. You blink as your eyes adjust to the intense light. The area beyond the door reminds you of a mix between a stadium and a lab. A wide-open elliptical area with dirt instead of the stone floor you were walking on before. Beyond the wall you can see a short terrace, as if a crowd was supposed to stand there, but instead it is filled with cameras, microphones and various devices whose purpose you can't determine, though some are disconcertingly gun-like.

There are stone columns rising out of the dirt arranged in a circle around the center, with some of them having a short concrete barrier blocking your path between them. The center itself is occupied by a rectangular structure. A moment later you realize it is an exit: It has a single wooden door with carvings on it. So all you need to do is reach it and you're safe!

As you and Jack make your way closer to the door pursued by the growls of the monsters assaulting the dolls, the carvings in it becomes clear. Two cats, looking at each other. The words read "True friends stab you in the front. -Oscar Wilde". Jack immediately turns around and slashes at you with a glowing card. You're not fast enough. All you can do is raise your hands to protect your head from the blow. The magical energy projected by the Spade card cuts deeply into your arms like a scalpel but you barely feel any pain. Instead you can feel the warmth of your blood running down your hands. As you lower your hands you see Jack has continued running towards the door, almost reaching the circle of columns surrounding it. He's going to leave you behind.

♚The Doll Prince: True Colors♚

Though he was a bit disappointed at Jack's betrayal, Napoleon pushed the feeling away, replacing it with a sneer. It seems that the "King of Card Games" has finally showed his true colors! He knew that his story had some holes in it, that it seemed fabricated. Even if Jack's story was true, it didn't change the fact that he had an agenda that will benefit only himself while leaving Napoleon to die.

Ignoring the cut on his arm, Napoleon started after Jack, feeling more like a predator whose suspected quarry had just revealed himself too early than someone who'd been betrayed by a friend. After all, Jack has revealed much about himself within a span of a few seconds. Une, his eagerness to betray him so quickly after reading the Oscar Wilde quote meant that he considered Napoleon to be expendable, perhaps since the very beginning of their encounter. Granted, Napoleon would've betrayed Jack himself but only if no better alternatives were feasible. Deux, Jack also proved himself to be particularly stupid as he chose to betray him in the middle of a dangerous situation where they both would have a better chance of surviving if they worked together, rather waiting until they both were out of this place and in the clear. Trois, and most importantly, Jack proved himself to be suicidal due to making one simple mistake:

He trifled with the Doll Prince.

Throw the empty pistol at Jack to subdue him. If unsuccessful, summon several flying dolls to take him down. Regardless, get through that door first at all cost.
You try to throw your weapon but your injury makes your throw weak, the gun barely makes it halfway to him.

You summon a couple of winged dolls. They flap their wings and fly after Jack. They dive on him and try to pin him to the ground. He dodges one but not the second. The doll slams into him but he maintains his balance. The doll flaps its wings. It manages to slow him down somewhat, but he's still running.

With the help of the dolls slowing him down, you manage to catch up to him.

He pulls a glowing heart card out of his sleeve and slams it into the doll. You immediately feel your connection with the doll break. The doll is already breaking apart but it turns to face you for an attack. You manage to raise your arms just in time to shove it away. The doll slams into the ground, breaking apart into dust as it does so.

Somewhere behind you, the monsters finish off your doll and start running towards you. You keep an eye on them with your one remaining flying doll. More doors are opening all around the arena.

First, see if there are any rooms nearby with open or unlocked doors, that aren't occupied by intent. If so, check them out and make sure there's nothing sleeping in there. Room to maneuver that won't elicit deadly response is good.
Knock once, loudly, then sidestep. If no response, wait a minute, knock three times, sidestep again. If there's still no response from within the room, bash the lock open, check for traps, and enter.
If any of this elicits an intent from inside the room, back off, ideally out of line of sight. Ducking into a room if there are any open and unoccupied.

You test some of the nearby rooms that seem empty and find one where the lock appears to have been damaged. You note its location for future use.

You then proceed with checking your target's room. You knock. You wait. Nothing. You knock again. You wait again. Nothing. You start bashing the lock. That also elicits no response from the room, but it does make everyone in the surrounding rooms quite nervous, everyone moving to check doors and pick up items. Luckily the lock is quite weak so it doesn't take long to break it. With one final whack the lock pops out of its socket and the door swings open. The room is empty.

You check around the corridor to make sure nobody has gotten out yet. Looks good. You enter the room and close the door behind you. Inside the room is pretty standard. Just a bed, a closet and some empty space. Some people use that space to make a kitchen or add extra bed. The Newcomer appears to be using it to store stuff. There's three duffel bags, a workbench, a couple of toolboxes, various electronics... There are also several breathing helmets, suits and oxygen tanks. Most of the suits and helmets are tossed aside or torn apart, but three have received several modifications (mostly extra parts cannibalized from the other suits along with some electronics) making them much bulkier than usual. You're not sure what all those tubes are meant to do and there's slots for several extra air tanks. Who would need this many tanks?

As you're about to step closer to get a better look, you catch a glimpse of light from somewhere near your feet. You stop and take a step back. There's a very thin transparent string here, almost invisible unless the light reflects off of it. You carefully step over the line and check what it connects to. It's some kind of device, though you can't tell exactly what it does. Maybe it's an explosive? There's 4 colourful vials that are meant to be mixed together when the device activates. There's also a rather long antenna on it but it doesn't look too powerful. If it's meant to transmit a signal it won't go much further than this building.

Maximus: Medical Section, Automated Treatment Area

Kosak Durar:

After hearing the creature begin to move:

"Well, now I've got a decent fight! Come on, then!"

Whatever this thing is, it hasn't met Kosak. Time for some lethal face punch therapy.
Brian Hoss, Maximus

Do what I can to slow the creature without bothering Kosak.
Brian uses his vortex to disorient the beast, expanding it as much as he can and focusing on what's inside it. It works, the creature appears completely disoriented.

Kosak uses that opportunity to smash the creature as hard as he can, blowing its brains all over the walls... only for the creature to keep moving. It swipes at Kosak but he manages to get out of the way, easily avoiding its clumsy strike. The creature floats backwards, losing its grip to the wall. Kosak jumps after it, slamming into it and driving it into a wall, but his mass is not enough to make any significant damage. The creature throws Kosak away, slamming him into the ceiling and breaking a couple of lamps.

The creature still appears disoriented and uncertain. It probably can't tell where Kosak is. It's also reacting to the sounds approaching towards it with some confusion. Those sounds reveal themselves to be 2 more of those four-armed creatures with the giant eye. They look quite unhappy.

Campaign: Princess Alayne prepares to go to a party

Alan, Spoiled for Choice

If anyone were to approach the Princess, who often insists on calling herself Alayne, as she sat on the edge of her tower and dangled her legs in the air, they'd hear her say some very peculiar things, even by the standards of the princess, who was well-known to be a peculiar, if friendly, person. Somewhat fortunately, no one is nearby at the current moment, allowing Alan to punch the fourth wall in the nuts.

"Ooh, I really like all those prospects! Will I be able to do more than one of them before the plot rolls around to the next stage, mister GM? Because Xantalos really likes him some dragons, but the chaos warriors also sound like they could be neat to interact with. But also making friends is neat, and I'm sure Ventis will come around to my amiable ways with no trouble or magically explosive spectacle whatsoever," he continues, looking your way with comically wiggling eyebrows.

"Anyway," he continues, "I guess if I had to rate them right now, I'd go something like 2, 3, 4, 1. But that could very well change depending on how many I can guess I'd be doing. So many things to do when you're a princess! That's something Disnep never tells you.

That wasn't a typo, I really pronounced it that way."

Alan requests clarification! Friending Ventis is probably on the top of the list either way, Alan likes meeting interesting people and this lets him do that the soonest.
You can do at least as many as you can fit in the time it takes for the others to resolve the situation in the town. Whether or not you get to do more after that again depends on how you do in your thing, the outcome of their actions and what they choose to do next. But maybe depending on what you do you and how you do you will also get more choices.

tldr, depends on how you do and if the other team forces you to timeskip again or manages to revive you.

Anyway, if you want to go to the party, the first order of business is to decide what to wear how to go there. You can always take the normal route and just walk there like most others that will be attending. Or you can take the fancy route and fly there on one of your Angels. That would certainly impress everyone. Or you could take the sneaky route and make a portal to the lower decks with the help of mum, then you can surprise everyone. Or you could try something else.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: June 17, 2018, 07:47:09 pm »

This is stressful.

First thing to remember: stay alert.

...It's fairly likely that if I tamper with the vials on the device, it'll transmit an alarm. On the other hand, if I snap the antenna first, the device might detect that it can't call home anymore and detonate. It's probably not a good idea to just leave it, in case the newcomer detects my presence in some other way and remotely detonates the device. From among these options... A distress signal would be less disastrous than an explosion, so I'm going to try to disconnect those vials first. Once it can't explode anymore, break the antenna. If I'm lucky there'll be nothing in range for it to cry to...

Hmm. Something close. Worst-case, there could be an attack 'bot in the closet, set to activate if the trap squawks. Keep an eye open for that while dismantling. If it's unarmored, I could take it down with a pistol. If it IS armored, time to leave.
That bout of paranoia done, collect the four vials from the device. Might be handy, you know?

If I'm still not dead at this stage, check the modified suits very carefully. Might be trapped too. If it seems clean, take one. If the newcomer needs this equipment, so do I.
Then check the closet. Door might have a tripwire, so push very softly and see if I can see any device through the crack.
Then just generally look around the room for any clues as to what he's looking for. Would it be too much to hope for that this guy keeps a diary?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:50:03 pm by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: June 17, 2018, 07:51:00 pm »

Alayne, Versatile Royalty

"Hmm. Most of the people at the party are already my friends, I just need to get to Ventis. Given he's spreading all those salacious rumors about me he probably believes some of them, so going there on an Angel's out. That'd scare him too much. He's probably watching the entrances too, wizards are paranoid and all. Ooh, I know!"

Alayne hops up and down excitedly - this was such a good idea she'd had! Her mandibles were practically quivering.

Go through a portal with Ammie's help, and taking some inspiration from Cinderella, use my makeup powers to disguise myself as a servant girl until I've found Ventis to prevent him from suspecting anything give him a better surprise.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: June 17, 2018, 08:33:00 pm »

Appearance: A man wearing shades, a skull bandana, a hood, and a red and black trenchcoat.
Other: I want his starting weapons to be a blood-red katana and dual edgy revolvers, dubbed the 'Misery Extingushers'.
You wake up.

You catch a glimpse of the person in a dark wingsuit jumping off the side of the plane.
A moment later something slams to the top of the plane, causing a big dent to form on the hull.

Here's my sheet.

You wake up.

You find yourself walking through an empty grey plain. Hm. Maybe still dreaming then.
There's a figure in front of you, dressed in a cloak a slightly darker shade of grey than his surroundings.
"You have been chosen, warrior, to receive the gift of ultimate power. But first, you must prove your worth."
Before you can think too much about it, the man draws his sword and slashes towards you.
You fall through a tear in the world and slam into a piece of metal, making a big dent in it. Immediately the strong wind starts pulling you towards the edge of the curved metal surface.
You realize this metal tube with wings is flying through the air, slowly falling towards the ground. You can see clouds passing above you and forests extending below you.

"Son...of a whore! what in the 18 hells is your problem!?!"

Kokkaku extends the length of his nails before hardening them and trying to dig them in the wing of the plane before he falls off, he then wills his ribcage to mend into a makeshift armor before bracing for impact
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:49:56 pm by ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES »

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: June 17, 2018, 10:03:41 pm »

You try to throw your weapon but your injury makes your throw weak, the gun barely makes it halfway to him.

You summon a couple of winged dolls. They flap their wings and fly after Jack. They dive on him and try to pin him to the ground. He dodges one but not the second. The doll slams into him but he maintains his balance. The doll flaps its wings. It manages to slow him down somewhat, but he's still running.

He pulls a glowing heart card out of his sleeve and slams it into the doll. You immediately feel your connection with the doll break. The doll is already breaking apart but it turns to face you for an attack. You manage to raise your arms just in time to shove it away. The doll slams into the ground, breaking apart into dust as it does so.

Somewhere behind you, the monsters finish off your doll and start running towards you. You keep an eye on them with your one remaining flying doll. More doors are opening all around the arena.

♚The Doll Prince: Quantity Has a Quality of its Own♚

As the apparent situation became worse, Napoleon gritted his teeth as more of the foul creatures begin flooding into the arena. It was not often that he would swallow his pride enough to curse a totally foolish decision on his part but considering that his journey could end here, Napoleon felt like screaming out how foolish he is to shoot at that machine in hopes of killing the creatures. Now here they come, baying to have a taste of his sweet dollish Frenchman flesh. Hell, he doubted that he can make his skin as hard as porcelain.

"Now is not the time for self-regrets," he chided himself as he ran to catch up to Jack. "You must prove to the world that the Doll Prince is here to stay."

This self affirmation gave him strength and Napoleon spent only a few seconds analyzing this situation. Despite how things looked, he still held an advantage over Jack. Unlike Napoleon, who can summon as many dolls as his stamina allowed, Jack can only activate his ability with playing cards. While Napoleon can overwhelm his enemies with a swarm of dolls like a dolled-up Swarmlord/Norn Queen, Jack only has a limited amount of playing cards and will soon run out. Though no one could've anticipated that the both of them would clash swords with each other, all shall agree that Jack have already lost the fight with the Doll Prince the moment he'd ruffled his chitinous exoskeleton feathers. Jack's inevitable defeat had never been such a foregone conclusion.

Summon a swarm of small winged dolls. Use them to harass Jack and get him to waste his cards on them while keeping  at bay any creatures that get too close. Be the first to get through that door.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7626 on: June 18, 2018, 06:58:29 am »

This is stressful.

First thing to remember: stay alert.

...It's fairly likely that if I tamper with the vials on the device, it'll transmit an alarm. On the other hand, if I snap the antenna first, the device might detect that it can't call home anymore and detonate. It's probably not a good idea to just leave it, in case the newcomer detects my presence in some other way and remotely detonates the device. From among these options... A distress signal would be less disastrous than an explosion, so I'm going to try to disconnect those vials first. Once it can't explode anymore, break the antenna. If I'm lucky there'll be nothing in range for it to cry to...

Hmm. Something close. Worst-case, there could be an attack 'bot in the closet, set to activate if the trap squawks. Keep an eye open for that while dismantling. If it's unarmored, I could take it down with a pistol. If it IS armored, time to leave.
That bout of paranoia done, collect the four vials from the device. Might be handy, you know?

If I'm still not dead at this stage, check the modified suits very carefully. Might be trapped too. If it seems clean, take one. If the newcomer needs this equipment, so do I.
Then check the closet. Door might have a tripwire, so push very softly and see if I can see any device through the crack.
Then just generally look around the room for any clues as to what he's looking for. Would it be too much to hope for that this guy keeps a diary?

This guy is more paranoid than you'd like, so you make a mental note to stay as alert as possible. Who knows what other traps he might have set?

That done, you set about dealing with the trap. The vials (more like small misshapen syringes now that you look at them more closely) are connected to the reaction chamber through small plastic tubes. It doesn't look like it has any way to detect the tubes being cut, so as long as you lead with that, you should be safe. You very carefully cut the tubes with your combat knife, remove and then seal the vials. You then proceed to snap the antenna off as slowly as you can. As you snap the antenna the vibrations cause the limit of some unseen sensor to be exceeded and the device activates. It beeps menacingly and activates the motors that would had resulted in the vials mixing, if you hadn't already removed them. You think you snapped the antenna off before it could get a signal off but you can't be too sure. You remove the battery as well, just in case.

You check your surroundings to make sure no catastrophic chain reaction that would result to your death has been triggered. Your mundane senses show you nothing. Your new senses also show you nothing, though the people in nearby rooms remain quite alarmed from the noise of you breaking into the room. None of them going out to investigate yet.

You check the suits more carefully. The most obvious modification is the added armour. The thin layer of metal has several hollow parts where air tanks are meant to be attached. In that way the armour protects the sensitive connections from any accidents. The tubes from the extra tanks link to a central device that appears to be responsible for regulating and directing their flow. Strangely, the device is designed to be able to output or receive air through two extra tubes on the suit's back and two on its hands. Hm. Maybe a way to share extra air or maybe to refill the air tanks through some external system, instead of swapping the old air tanks for new? The armour also serves to cover several devices that have been placed underneath it. Most of them look like transmitters or receivers of some sort, though you can't tell what they're meant to receive. Other than that, it's mostly standard (but quite high-end) diver equipment with some redundancies. A long-range radio, powerful lamps, backup battery packs, clips for attaching rope or tools, a tablet with rotary interface so it can be handled with the suit's somewhat bulky gloves, backup analog gauges, a slate, an emergency patch kit, a cable reel... You also notice there's holsters for a knife and a gun, though you aren't sure how easy it would be to use one through such a bulky suit.

Hmmm... There's something missing here. Many of the more successful divers tend to augment their suits with biocomponents to increase their chances of finding something or make them last longer, but these suits appear entirely mechanical. Maybe the newcomer doesn't trust biocomponents? Or maybe he can't use them? If that's the case then he probably doesn't have any abilities like yours either, since those are usually made by the same growers.

Checking the bags, you find more equipment, this time meant mostly for drilling and scanning along with some basic electronic equipment, including a high end engineer multi-tool tablet (locked with a password, of course). You also find some detonators but no actual explosives. Yet everything else looks ready to go, as if he could leave this place any second. Maybe he's out buying the explosives right now? Or maybe he's hidden them somewhere on the way to an airlock?

Overall, it looks like the Newcomer and his friends want to be as prepared as possible. Probably going for a long dive to a dangerous place. Probably searching for something then, like the slug said. It occurs to you that the slug probably knew about the newcomer purchasing at least some of this equipment, which is why it sent you after him. Letting you know would had been nice. Wonder what else it knows but hasn't told you about.

You turn your attention back to the suits and experimentally move one of their arms to test its weight. You make the suit wave to you with some effort. You could wear one of the suits. However it's quite heavy, it would be very tiring to try to move quickly with it. Unless there was an emergency, you'd have to walk until you got to the airlock. Such a bulky and expensive suit would also attract attention. It's not uncommon for divers to walk around in their suits but divers themselves are not a common sight, especially ones successful enough to have such expensive suits.

If you want more mobility, you could detach the armour plates from one of the suits and some of the redundant equipment, but that would take a couple of minutes and leave the suit's more sensitive parts vulnerable.

There is another alternative however. You see here enough parts to make another suit. You could wear a simple dive suit underneath your clothes, put a lightweight helmet in your backpack and tie a couple of air tanks on the backpack. Of course, if the newcomer really needs all these airtanks to get to where he wants to go, then two tanks might not be enough. Then again, the newcomer's suits are bulkier and heavier and they are probably going to be drilling based on their equipment, so maybe that would lead to higher oxygen consumption. Maybe with a more lightweight suit you'll be able to keep up with them, if you choose to simply follow them and refrain from strenuous activities.

Do you want to do something with the suits now or do you wish to continue exploring the rest of the room?

♚The Doll Prince: Quantity Has a Quality of its Own♚

As the apparent situation became worse, Napoleon gritted his teeth as more of the foul creatures begin flooding into the arena. It was not often that he would swallow his pride enough to curse a totally foolish decision on his part but considering that his journey could end here, Napoleon felt like screaming out how foolish he is to shoot at that machine in hopes of killing the creatures. Now here they come, baying to have a taste of his sweet dollish Frenchman flesh. Hell, he doubted that he can make his skin as hard as porcelain.

"Now is not the time for self-regrets," he chided himself as he ran to catch up to Jack. "You must prove to the world that the Doll Prince is here to stay."

This self affirmation gave him strength and Napoleon spent only a few seconds analyzing this situation. Despite how things looked, he still held an advantage over Jack. Unlike Napoleon, who can summon as many dolls as his stamina allowed, Jack can only activate his ability with playing cards. While Napoleon can overwhelm his enemies with a swarm of dolls like a dolled-up Swarmlord/Norn Queen, Jack only has a limited amount of playing cards and will soon run out. Though no one could've anticipated that the both of them would clash swords with each other, all shall agree that Jack have already lost the fight with the Doll Prince the moment he'd ruffled his chitinous exoskeleton feathers. Jack's inevitable defeat had never been such a foregone conclusion.

Summon a swarm of small winged dolls. Use them to harass Jack and get him to waste his cards on them while keeping  at bay any creatures that get too close. Be the first to get through that door.
You summon a swarm of small dolls and send them to harass Jack. Jack slams a diamond card on one of the columns and immediately a transparent barrier forms out of it. Your dolls easily fly over it. You also make it through. Mostly. Your left arm is caught by the barrier, bringing you to an abrupt and painful stop as your wounded flesh is stretched and torn.

Meanwhile, Jack is overextering himself to push through your doll swarm, pushing and kicking them away. You can also see the distorted form of the monsters approaching through the transparent barrier. A second later the barrier dissolves and you can get up and run again. You catch up somewhat, but you're still too far behind. Jack is almost at the door.

Spoiler: rolls (click to show/hide)

You wake up.

Here's my sheet.

You wake up.

"Son...of a whore! what in the 18 hells is your problem!?!"

Kokkaku extends the length of his nails before hardening them and trying to dig them in the wing of the plane before he falls off, he then wills his ribcage to mend into a makeshift armor before bracing for impact
You make your nails slightly longer and sharper, harden them and drive them through the soft metal of the plane with a mighty punch, arresting your movement. You start extending your ribcage but you have a bit of trouble focusing. Due to a miscalculation, you extend the bones a bit too much, turning making them more like wings. They catch the air and immediately pull you away from the metal. Your arms' sockets hurt like hell but you manage to hold on without injury (for now).

Also, you're rather high up and this thing is still trying to stay level, though it's starting to slow down and dive slowly. You think you have about a minute before it crashes. It looks like it's going to crash into the thick woods surrounding a small town. Hopefully the treetops will slow it down more gently, otherwise even armoured up you don't think you're going to survive.

Alayne, Versatile Royalty

"Hmm. Most of the people at the party are already my friends, I just need to get to Ventis. Given he's spreading all those salacious rumors about me he probably believes some of them, so going there on an Angel's out. That'd scare him too much. He's probably watching the entrances too, wizards are paranoid and all. Ooh, I know!"

Alayne hops up and down excitedly - this was such a good idea she'd had! Her mandibles were practically quivering.

Go through a portal with Ammie's help, and taking some inspiration from Cinderella, use my makeup powers to disguise myself as a servant girl until I've found Ventis to prevent him from suspecting anything give him a better surprise.
You bounce to the ceiling and back excitedly before going off to search for a maid outfit that fits your spider-y exterior. You don't really need to be wearing clothes to wear clothes, but if you're going to look well you want all your selves to look well. A few hours and a couple of ruined outfits later, night has fallen and you're preparing to go to the party. You're certain everyone will love the surprise.

You can see Lord Audrey's airship from the top of your tower, a massive thing docked to one of the docking cradles of her warehouses, close to the outskirts of the city. From what you heard from Lord Audrey (she's so proud she won't stop talking about it) this thing is so huge it can only stay afloat for a little while, it actually needs to be flying at a certain speed to remain in the air. That is why it needs to stay in the cradle instead of merely using a tower and that is why it's been designed to be able to easily touch down on land or water.

Both the docking cradle and the airship itself have been decorated with several small lights (appearing to blink due to the slight heat distortions in the air) and various colourful pieces of cloth fluttering on the wind. There are also large floodlights illuminating the airship's massive wings and sails, which currently lie neatly folded on its sides. However they won't remain folded for long. The airship is meant to make its first 'official' flight today. It has made smaller test flights before to make sure that it is properly balanced, but today it will receive its name (you wonder if Lord Audrey will take your suggestion) and fly as a complete and finished vessel for the first time. It will be its longest flight yet, with a full complement of crew and passengers. It has received permission from the Sovereign to slowly fly above the city to awe the citizens with its size before demonstrating its speed and defensive capabilities further away from the city.

It's still a bit early, the first and most eager guests should only now have started arriving. However there's no point in delaying to make a more dramatic entrance. When you're going somewhere in disguise, you're always going to make a dramatic entrance when you reveal yourself. You contact your mum and ask for her help in creating the portal. You think you're starting to get the hang of this portal business, but your mum insists to help you whenever you make one.

You raise your hand and point towards the airship. You feel the Chaos energy flow outwards, forming itself into twisting symbols in the air. A circle forms in front of you and in that circle the image of the ship quickly zooms in. You guide it to one of the storage rooms close to the forward kitchen. It should be empty and you'd only need to climb the stairs to reach the forward observation deck where the main party is being held. Lord Audrey should be there for most of the evening, so Ventis shouldn't be too far behind.

The portal stabilizes, showing you a dark storage area occupied by a few lonely boxes secured to the floor by restraints. You step through it and emerge on the other side without problem. You thank your mum and dismiss the portal. Its faint buzzing noise and the illumination it provided disappear with it, leaving you in almost complete darkness (not that you mind, you can see in the dark). Somewhere in the distance you can smell the smells and hear the noise of kitchen (metal utensils clicking, fires roaring, water boiling, stuff moving and falling, orders and instructions being shouted to be heard over the noise...).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:37:11 am by Parisbre56 »

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: June 18, 2018, 08:46:22 am »

Change my nails to be more hooklike before willing my ribcage to a normal carapace, then make all my bones harder before bracing for impact, also pray for Buddha to not die

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: June 18, 2018, 09:45:40 am »

You summon a swarm of small dolls and send them to harass Jack. Jack slams a diamond card on one of the columns and immediately a transparent barrier forms out of it. Your dolls easily fly over it. You also make it through. Mostly. Your left arm is caught by the barrier, bringing you to an abrupt and painful stop as your wounded flesh is stretched and torn.

Meanwhile, Jack is overextering himself to push through your doll swarm, pushing and kicking them away. You can also see the distorted form of the monsters approaching through the transparent barrier. A second later the barrier dissolves and you can get up and run again. You catch up somewhat, but you're still too far behind. Jack is almost at the door.

Spoiler: rolls (click to show/hide)

♚The Doll Prince: Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures♚

With a loud grunt of pain and frustration, Napoleon glanced at the wound on his left arm. It was worst than it previously was and bled profusely. Summoning a doll to function as a tourniquet, Napoleon turned his attention back to Jack and noted how close he was to the door. Though he wasn't sure whether the door will immediately lock behind the first person to enter it or the second person can still easily use it, he did not want to stand around to find out. With a sneer, he turned his attention to the swarm harassing Jack. Perhaps now is the time to extend the perceived boundaries of his ability. Even he'd never thought that such a day would come in which he'd be forced to do so, considering that he'd more or less kept his dolls largely unchanged during the past two hundred years.

Mon Dieu, this has better work.

As the swarm continue to harass Jack, morph one of the winged dolls in something of a living grenade. Pull back the swarm long enough to detonate the doll. Send the swarm back in to finish Jack off if he survives.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:08:31 pm by Sir Elventide »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: June 18, 2018, 11:51:45 am »

Kosak Durar:

"... ABOMINATION!"

Okay. Proper method of abomination disposal: multiple powerful shots to central mass. Once that's done, work on those lesser minions. They're much less durable!
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: June 18, 2018, 01:54:08 pm »

Brian Hoss, Maximus
Switch to slowing the new two.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: June 18, 2018, 03:37:07 pm »

Shit, so I'm up against three people, in a hostile environment, and they'll all probably be better armored than me. And I don't even know what the thing is that I need to get, so I have to follow them there. And the thing apparently needs drilling to get to, so even if I KNEW what it is and where it is, I'd still need to find or steal drilling equipment, and gather a few friends of my own...
Fuck.

Argh. Maybe I can still deal with this somehow, just need to search the room, come up with a plan...
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: June 18, 2018, 05:05:25 pm »

Nikolai, chief of artillery

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is wait.
Wait for the signal.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: June 18, 2018, 08:01:51 pm »

((So sorry for being away for such a long time. For a couple of weeks I've been out of state on vacation and without internet connection, and then I delayed posting out of being exhausted until now.))

Zechariah was thankful that his group was able to secure the first group of hostages without many issues, but the "big fish" was still out there. They couldn't afford to take the group with them to the next warehouse, as they'd certainly draw attention. He turned to Theri and listened to her proposal.

She looks to him for ideas, after suggesting a quick barricade, as any notice of it being locked would easily take the enemy patrol time to get a bomb. This was perhaps enough time to strike at the second objective.

"I don't like having to rely on something that can't guarantee the safety of these people, but it'll have to do. Wait - do we know if Ahos has secured the eastern gate yet? If he has, we could escort the refugees out that way and not have to worry about them. Otherwise, the barrier is our only option. We could send someone to check while we advance. What do you think?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: June 19, 2018, 08:30:09 am »

"I don't like having to rely on something that can't guarantee the safety of these people, but it'll have to do. Wait - do we know if Ahos has secured the eastern gate yet? If he has, we could escort the refugees out that way and not have to worry about them. Otherwise, the barrier is our only option. We could send someone to check while we advance. What do you think?"
((Note from days past; I made an action back there :P If it's not there, it is to continue the plan after deliberation))
"If there's nothing else I am prioritized to do, I can check instead. Quickly in and out, I think I can do that best."

Volunteer to this; leave the message-casting to the others!
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 521