Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1077261 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: The Attack of the Rabid Vacuum Cleaners
« Reply #735 on: December 13, 2013, 05:13:54 pm »

(I imagine you can have unlimited fire, it would just be incredibly hard to control. At least, that's what I estimate.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 13, 2013, 08:32:17 pm »

You keep focusing on your flames. Even with nothing else to distract you, it's a bit hard managing such a large volume of fire. You barely notice Zach arriving.
Elemental control, fire, long range, no amount limit
((So Irine is affected by the amount of flame she's controlling now? if so then that's good to know, and I can work with it, and she has yet another grievance to add to her list. if it was just an oversight then that's totally fine too.))
((I'm imagining it's more of a multitasking issue. She can, technically, control a thousand little sparks of flame, but coordination would be a bit of an issue.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #737 on: December 14, 2013, 01:56:36 pm »

You keep focusing on your flames. Even with nothing else to distract you, it's a bit hard managing such a large volume of fire. You barely notice Zach arriving.
((So Irine is affected by the amount of flame she's controlling now? if so then that's good to know, and I can work with it, and she has yet another grievance to add to her list. if it was just an oversight then that's totally fine too.))
At that point I was trying to understand what you were asking of me, not describing your abilities. This is what I have in my notes about your fire (with some hidden stuff removed):
Flame generation, short close range, low amount
Flame manipulation, far close range
I just wanted to show you that you couldn't do much else at this state at any acceptable rate and that you probably shouldn't try something like that often and/or during combat.
Your power is limited be complexity, not volume. Urging flames to burn faster and hotter is simple. Sustaining flames despite attempts to extinguish them is a bit harder. Sustaining "fire" with multiple complex shapes over a large area, very close if not beyond the edge of your range, while also extinguishing fires... well, if you calculate the energy something like that requires and the way that energy has to be applied... A human wouldn't complain.
I understand however why the avatar of an ex-god might have a problem with that.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 14, 2013, 03:03:40 pm »

At that point I was trying to understand what you were asking of me, not describing your abilities. This is what I have in my notes about your fire (with some hidden stuff removed):
Flame generation, short close range, low amount
Flame manipulation, far close range
I just wanted to show you that you couldn't do much else at this state at any acceptable rate and that you probably shouldn't try something like that often and/or during combat.
Your power is limited be complexity, not volume. Urging flames to burn faster and hotter is simple. Sustaining flames despite attempts to extinguish them is a bit harder. Sustaining "fire" with multiple complex shapes over a large area, very close if not beyond the edge of your range, while also extinguishing fires... well, if you calculate the energy something like that requires and the way that energy has to be applied... A human wouldn't complain.
I understand however why the avatar of an ex-god might have a problem with that.
ok. regarding complexity though, simple geometric shapes is all i'm working with. spheres moving slightly in an idle pattern, and a box. that's signifigantly less complex than a lot of the stuff I was doing earlier. It's much larger scale, but it's far less complicated.

comparisons:
thinking back on what Stellar told me, I silently extend my will and attempt to re-order this place into someplace more
((Welp, I guess we're doing this right here then.))

To Angel: <I'm about to do something really cruel. You should close your eyes.>
Generate a 1-foot floating sphere of flame behind the director's head (one burning one flame generation charge), take a moment to shape it in the vague shape of a human female head, and begin to repeatedly make alarm barks while facing the flame-head. contine to bark throughout the entire rest of my actions. Have a thin tendril of flame reach out, arcing around his head, and melt his left eye before retracting back to the head and having the head float over in front of him to a position a mere two feet from the director's face.
The first example worked, and the second example was over-successful, making an entire human body instead of a vague head-like shape. both of those are far, far more complicated than a simple symmetrical pattern of simple geometric shapes (spheres) + one simple geometric shape off to one side (a box). yes, the human-shape was far smaller scale, but in terms of complexity it was far more complicated, not less. try drawing them to see what I mean. first draw the set of circles, then one box to the side. probably will take you 10 seconds. now try drawing a person.

oh, and um, to quote the original character application and "extinguishing" fire:
cannot make the element cease to exist, can however reposition it such that it will logically cease to exist when it is no longer being manipulated. (if associated with fire, can put out a burning building by moving the fire into the sky where it has no fuel and then releasing control of it, but cannot put the fire out directly.)
Like I said before, I'm moving it into the elevator shaft, not extinguishing it. It's just being added to the box. I couldn't extinguish it even if I wanted too.

also, last turn was when I did the complicated part, where I moved everything into position, not this most recent one. yet I'm still having trouble apparently simply maintaining control of a box and a set of spheres. that's not complexity causing problems, that's volume, and that's why I'm asking.

My action is unchanged in any case, so don't hold the turn for me or anything.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #739 on: December 14, 2013, 07:08:30 pm »

I'm sorry, didn't have time to post a turn due to problems. I'll try to post it in the next few hours.

I don't have time to write a full response, but I'd like to point out the following:
1. Like I said, I try to go with pseudo-scientific explanations for things, so it's not the classical Aristotelian element of fire you are controlling. Think about what fire is chemically and what you're doing. Even if you move the fire away from wood, the wood is still going to be hot enough to react with oxygen.
2. The changing of the environment in the Staging Area always succeeds, I just roll for WILL to see who succeeds if there are conflicting suggestions. You could theoretically change it to be an entire galaxy and then have yourselves cruise around in a restaurant going faster than the speed of light.

I can write a lengthier response after I get the turn done, if you want, although I'd prefer not to. Some of you can use your powers a lot better if you figure out how they work exactly or at least experiment with them a bit to find their full extent. I'm a bit saddened by the fact that Eria has so far thrice dodged situations where she could have learned more about her ability. Next level, hopefully...
I like the fact that you search for mistakes. Makes me feel a bit better. And a bit more nervous, since I'm sure I have made a mistake somewhere.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 14, 2013, 07:25:17 pm »

Um, if anyone would be cheating and following Aristotelian rules, it would be Irine. I mean, to quote the mechanics of how it works in its most general form from the avatar description:
is able to manipulate one of the classical elements (water, fire, earth, air) or a common derivative of them (ice, lightning, wood, etc) within 500ft of the avatar's current position.
(underline added for emphasis)
Irine is locked in to manipulate fire exclusively, but the core mechanic of how it functions is distinctly Aristotelian, not modern. her very nature violates both biology and the laws of thermodynamics six ways to sunday.

as for changing things in the staging area, the example there still proves that Irine is able to handle conceptualizing extremely massive and complex systems as a single coherent whole. or in other words, she handles complicated just fine.

If it makes things easier to handle, then you have to ask how she moves fire around at all. obviously she had to transfer the heat from the wood to move it in the first place. A stunt I had been planning on having her do back home but never had good reason too was to channel a titanic stream of stream of fire directly out of one of the local magma pools. the vast, vast majority of what she has been doing is nothing from transfering heat from one location to another. so... yeah, if you remove the heat (from both the air and the wood itself) the wood needs to continue the chemical reaction, then it isn't going to burn anymore now is it?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:35:25 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Special People: GWG vs Mini-boss
« Reply #741 on: December 14, 2013, 10:38:26 pm »

Toaster & Xantalos
Shit.

[To Entity]<<Hey, if his host dies here, does he die too or just come out with a nasty headache?>>
"No, he'll be fine, you're not in some kung-fu action movie with slow-mo battle scenes. He'll even get rewarded despite dying if you manage to complete the mission."

You focus all you got on healing Alan.
It seems to have worked. He looks stable. You can feel the suit retracting from him. Looks like it has done all it can.

With Alan mostly taken care of, you can feel the suit widening its focus. A bit further from you you can sense life sleeping in two rows, some faint life forming walls, furniture and vents and even some very faint life in the air.

You feel a lot weaker all of the sudden.
Man, screw that.

Grab the voice by the throat and make it say something else. Something like 'Alan's the best around. Nothing will prevent him from getting up.'
You wake up just in time to see a humanoid made of red and white plastic and covered with small robotic arms wielding various medical tools standing above you. More alarming is the fact that several needles and tubes extend from the humanoid and into your chest and gut, both of which bear fresh surgical scars. As you watch, the needles and tubes retract, strangely without any pain. Some of the small hands apply a brown liquid and some foam to the points the needles and tubes retracted from.

You feel a bit dizzy but strangely you're not in pain.
"You just had major surgery and a near death experience, the kind of thing normal people without the aid of futuristic medical machines would spend at least a month recovering from. You might want to take it easy for a while. Try not to wrangle any wild vacuum cleaners from now on.

Now could you please move on to the objective?"

Harry Baldman & Fniff & scapheap
"Don't worry, slaves of science, you're off the hook as long as you tell us more about what's deeper in there. As in, how many deadly weapons and security measures they've got to impede us, that kind of thing."

Question these scientific serfs on the defenses of this place. If they provide answers, be all smiley and happy and send them on their way (by which I mean back where we came from).
You very politely interrogate the scientists for information, smiling like a psychopath with a gun the whole time.
Jordan was not in a good mood. He walked up to the scientist they were questioning and took out his pistol. He needed to vent a bit, and it was lucky he didn't want to kill her just yet.

"And if you don't tell us anything, well. Let's just not have that situation, shall we? Tell us everything you know and we're just going to be friendly."
Intimidate the scientists into explaining a few things. Try to push them into explaining where our objective is and what traps/enemies lay ahead.
You point your gun at the Russian Man, say some threatening words and idly wonder if you could turn him into Dancing Russian Man by shooting near his feet.

"They were planning on using the tank turret we were testing in the next room to stop you." says the man holding his hands in front of his face, still looking very scared. "The turret is remotely controlled. There should be a guard in the turret's control room, along with Dimitri. The storage area you want is right after that. That's everything, I swear! Can we please go now?" His head snaps from your guns to the exit and back to your guns.

Grow the keratin armor, then head to the door, watching for trouble.
GWG
Your hair grow and twist around you to cover your body in a thick, reddish-brown semi-flexible armor. It creaks as you move towards the door on the other side of the room.

As you move, about 70 meters away from you, you see a man in a white lab coat get out of one of the cubes made of white cloth dividers and start running towards the door, screaming curses along the way. "Enemy Detected. Eliminating." you hear a synthesized male voice saying. You hear an electrical motor spinning and a moment later the man disappears in a burst of gore and gunfire a dozen steps or so away from the exit.

The cube falls apart from the burst of gunfire, revealing a strange octoped creature made of pale flesh and merged with machinery, standing 5 meters tall. Its "head", which looks more like an extra leg, a pole of flesh sticking out from its ball-shaped main section, is covered with red lights and from it hang two rotating platforms with a high caliber rotary cannon mounted on each. The rest of its body is covered with metal, wires and tubes filled with a glowing yellow liquid.

You're in a large, mostly empty room, away from cover and exits, alone with a murderous biotechnological abomination. What do you do?

Lenglon & DAF
"Hey Irine. Need some help?"
Using the flames, construct a light barrier separating the ceiling of the elevator from the rest of the elevator and room.
While trying to focus on your powers you make a sloppy motion with your staff and end up loosing your balance and falling flat on your back, tossing your staff in the air in the process.
You watch the staff spin around for a horrifyingly long second, coming ever closer to your head, wondering if it's going to hit you with its pointy edge.
Luckily, it hits you with its blunt side, resulting in a cut on your forehead and a new headache added on top of your already existing one. Good thing Irene didn't see this. Or that you didn't die by fumbling. That would have been embarrassing.
Maintain my flames.
Through interface, to D: <Please do>
To Zech: <Please move the device down towards the next elevator. I don't want to break it when the fighting starts.>
"Okay, after you finish up with this level you go down through the East elevator (the one opposite to this one). Take that time to give the Device the objects you have gathered, it should know what to do with them.
After that you reach the generator level. You need to charge the Device there and shut down the generator. It says here it's just one big room with a control room in the North. Then you get down another level and reach your objective, whatever it is. Find its heart, the anchor for its soul and stab it with the Device. Then put the Device in whatever is on the East side of the room that could take it out of there, have one of you enter it and you should be done."

You hear a thump behind you, followed by a groan.
"Ignore that. Zach is hitting himself."
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 10:42:01 pm by Parisbre56 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 14, 2013, 10:44:06 pm »

I don't like that title.

<Guys! There's a weird cyborg monster down here!>

Throw a disk at it, trying to get it angled so it doesn't hit me but does hit it, before sprinting for the nearest cover. Also mind-utter any curse words somehow present in my five-year-old mind's storage.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 14, 2013, 10:47:22 pm »

Summon a sentient couch with wheels to transport me around.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 14, 2013, 10:48:03 pm »

((...Since when if that a common household item?))
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 14, 2013, 10:48:35 pm »

((...Since when if that a common household item?))
((Couches are all over the place. I'm just testing my limits.))
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: December 14, 2013, 10:55:51 pm »

((Sentient couches, though? And ones with wheels? And ones with motorized wheels?))
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 14, 2013, 11:11:50 pm »

((What? This world we're currently on has advanced tech. Why wouldn't it have moving couches?))
Sig! Onol

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: December 14, 2013, 11:38:05 pm »

(Thinking about it, common household objects could be anything in the context of the multiverse. I mean, there has to be a world where people have sentient couches on wheels. Or for that matter nuclear warheads.)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: December 14, 2013, 11:40:21 pm »

(Inb4 Alan becomes Azathoth)
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 521