Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1077314 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Robo-Tango
« Reply #1185 on: January 24, 2014, 06:50:47 pm »

Run over to the escape vehicle.
((I haven't seen the cockpit yet, nor been told about it, so I can't comment on it. However I think the plan can still work. I'm just going to be positioned awkwardly.))
The cockpit looks something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Imagine that the image is drawn better so that the human-shape has the right human proportions.
Blue thing is an oxygen mask. Black dots are small, almost invisible depressions where the padding is thinner and is colored slightly different,as  if made by a different material.
It's made to hold a human. It's not form fitting, it has a small distance between the walls, most notably near the pelvis.
I imagine your fox to be about 25 cm high × 50 cm long when curled up as best as she can.
You wanna try to fit in there? If yes, where?
((I'm not fully grown (independent adolescent), and those listed dimensions are about right for a fully grown (uncurled) fox. I'm a bit smaller than that, though not much.
as for where? I need access to the oxygen mask and he isn't going to have use of his hands, so I need to press my face up next to his. this limits me to his head or shoulder area. I also need to be careful about where he will be pressed during acceleration and deceleration, so I have to stay above him and try to avoid compromising the stability of the padding. With it shaped like that, it will prevent him from sliding up and slamming his head around, so my best bet is to curl myself around his head and ears. By placing myself like that, we will stabilize each other - I'll hold his head still and he will hold me still. It also is where, from the placement of the black dots, the padding is the loosest. It wont be comfortable, but it should easily be within the margin of error for a one-size-fits-all compartment and keep us both stable, breathing, and safe.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: January 24, 2014, 06:54:53 pm »

((I might use Media later.
Media... Dia... Persona?
Persona.))
Zechariah resisted the urge to laugh audibly. Zechariah? With leadership qualities? Never!
"I believe the reason that I lived that long was because our patron god admired my willpower against the Shadow. That was what the Guardians and the Mediums were about: willpower, and staying 'awake' to every dimension. We are the Guardians because we experience the full spectrum of human emotion, and we accept that and use it as our strength. Of course, that comes with the downside that most, if not all, Guardians are emotional labyrinths with tendencies to have mental breakdowns, get angry and distressed, overjoyed, crying, and other sorts of things.

Back to my establishment as a leader, however. I think that I became leader because of several things: One, I had an alter-ego, meaning I have access to even more complex dimensions of thought. Two, I've helped the other Mediums and Guardians and kept the group together. And three, I knew how the Shadow worked and how to stop the Shadow. There are certainly other Guardians who are better with leadership: Apollo, Julia, Scion, Katherine, Jake, and some others.

I guess they trusted me the most, because they knew that I had the most experience with the Shadows, the Medium, and frankly, I was the only one who met in person with this patron god of ours."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: January 25, 2014, 04:47:17 am »

((I'm not fully grown (independent adolescent), and those listed dimensions are about right for a fully grown (uncurled) fox. I'm a bit smaller than that, though not much.
as for where? I need access to the oxygen mask and he isn't going to have use of his hands, so I need to press my face up next to his. this limits me to his head or shoulder area. I also need to be careful about where he will be pressed during acceleration and deceleration, so I have to stay above him and try to avoid compromising the stability of the padding. With it shaped like that, it will prevent him from sliding up and slamming his head around, so my best bet is to curl myself around his head and ears. By placing myself like that, we will stabilize each other - I'll hold his head still and he will hold me still. It also is where, from the placement of the black dots, the padding is the loosest. It wont be comfortable, but it should easily be within the margin of error for a one-size-fits-all compartment and keep us both stable, breathing, and safe.))

((Sounds like a plan, I think.))

Get into the escape vehicle with Irene, packing everything up as specified above if possible.

((It's still the same word. Sound is transmitted through the medium of air, the spirits or whatever have their power transmitted through the Media.))

((Apparently, both forms - 'media' and 'mediums' - work for most purposes, but in spiritualism, only 'mediums' is accepted. Or so Wiktionary tells me, anyway. It's so easy to veer into hypercorrection when you're dealing with Latin words, I doubt most people even know what's what there.))
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:08:09 am by Harry Baldman »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Special People: Mission 1 complete
« Reply #1188 on: January 25, 2014, 11:06:11 am »

Ike secures the Device in the payload section of the rocket and then gets back down to the cockpit. He steps inside and adjust the oxygen mask.
Irene curls herself around his head and neck, like a living fox scarf. Ike's sensitive ears aren't so happy about that. She tries to position her snout near the oxygen mask, so that she can use it if necessary.
There's a strange feeling in their minds as they adjust themselves and calm down. This cockpit wasn't designed for two and it's having trouble compensating.
Despite that, it manages to form a link with Irene's mind. Ike's mind is also affected but he manages to calm himself and empty his mind, his thoughts nothing more than a small whisper in Irene's mind. She feels the rocket like an extension of her body, but the connection isn't perfect. It feels slow, like trying to move your hand while drunk. Making the doors close takes some effort.
The cockpit door slowly closes, filling the cockpit with darkness. Irene is uncomfortably compressed. Her limbs hurt and her lungs have trouble expanding enough to receive oxygen. Ike is having trouble breathing with a fox pressed against his neck, compressing his trachea.
If that wasn't enough, the moment the door closes, bolts automatically secure it and the cockpit floods with some kind of gel, forcing Irene to press her snout hard against Ike's cheek to retain access to the oxygen mask and the air it provides.
It's getting hard for Irene to focus on what the cockpit is giving to her mind. The pressure and the fear and the lack of oxygen and Ike's thoughts in her head are getting to her.
She tries to move the missile forward and the missile responds, firing its engines with full power. It strains against the scaffolding and the restraints that are holding it down for a few seconds, the vibrations reaching them even through the gel. With a jolt, the restraints break, allowing the missile move upwards. With another jolt, the missile breaks through the fan and grating of the ventilation shaft. Irene tries to right the missile but it's hard. It keeps hitting the walls of the shaft, dragging against them.
After a few more seconds, the grinding stops and the missile moves freely. It keeps rising, ever upwards. After a while, the engine module detaches from the rocket.
When the noise stops and Irene has had a minute to collect herself and calm down, she notices something else. The missile is telling her something. Asking her something. She can vaguely feel the landmasses under her, unknown to her but familiar to her host. She can tell she's somewhere above Russia, she can barely feel the small lumps of the Urals below her. This planet is huge, so many places on it. Mountains here, sea there, a giant plain, more mountains, more sea...
What was she doing? Oh, right, the missile is asking her something. What is its target? Hmmm... What had D. told her again? Britain, Britain,... Her host tells her it's... there!
The moment she indicates the position, she's above it.
Primary objective achieved. Secondary objective achieved. Mission accomplished. Prepare for desynchronization.
You start to feel the thoughts of your host again. At the same time you feel the missile stopping its motion and heading towards the earth.
You are almost completely gone from their mind when something goes wrong. The cockpit module and the payload module are trying to separate but they can't. Irene's host, already in a bad state what with the "being a fox" thing, begins panicking. She tries to slow the missile down but the RCS isn't strong enough and the payload module's parachute is refusing to open. Not that it would be able to do much good.
The ground keeps coming closer. Irene's host is whimpering while Ike's is confused, unsure of what's going on.
The rocket hits the ground. The gel is not good enough to take the energy of the impact. There is a crunch and then only darkness.

You are sitting on top of some rubble. A man in military camouflage with a red cross on his arm is taking care of a gash on your forehead.
Another soldier approaches, holding a radio.
"Tovarishch direktor..." You can tell who it is by the look in his eyes. "Eto tebya."
You push the medic away, get up and bring the radio to your ear.
"Sekretar', ya mo-"
"Ne razgovarivay. Ya poslal by vas k rasstrelu bez kolebaniy, yesli by ne bylo..."
There is only the sound of breathing coming from the radio for a few moments. Further away, you can hear sirens and helicopters, men shouting orders and concrete striking upon concrete.
"Nalet na krupnoy kontrrevolyutsionnoy oplot proizoshlo. My znayem mestonakhozhdeniye tselevoy ametista."
You get up and look behind you, at the buildings turned to mounds of broken glass and rubble, at the fires in the streets, at the thick pillar of gray reaching towards the sky, clouds circling around it. This is going to be problematic...
Desynchronization complete.

((Please stand by, second post to follow... Have some music while you wait.))
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:32:56 am by Parisbre56 »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Special People: levelling up
« Reply #1189 on: January 25, 2014, 11:28:48 am »

Okay, here's how leveling up works:

Each of you has an upgrade tree. You need to unlock the previous upgrades in the tree before you gain access to the next ones. Each upgrade costs 1 Upgrade Point (except for some special cases).
You can also choose to spend 3 Upgrade points to let your entities work on you freely, giving you something they find useful, something related to them. The ability they choose is not limited by your current abilities. It will be powerful and will probably unlock new options for you, increasing your versatility. However you have no control over what they give you.

You will receive your upgrade trees via PM soon. If something seems weird or wrong or if you have a question or if I have made a mistake, don't be afraid to PM me and tell me about it. Once you're certain which upgrades you want, PM me your choices. Or write them here if you don't care about secrecy.

Everyone who participated in the mission gain 2 Upgrade points. Irene(Lenglon) and Ike(Harry Baldman) gain two extra points.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: January 25, 2014, 11:36:02 am »

1. Are you going to continue Angel's conversation?

2. I gave it a 3. It would have been better if I hadn't died before it got interesting.

3. ETA on upgrade trees?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1191 on: January 25, 2014, 11:40:35 am »

1. Are you going to continue Angel's conversation?

2. I gave it a 3. It would have been better if I hadn't died before it got interesting.

3. ETA on upgrade trees?
Just making a final check for mistakes and I'll send them. They're missing some flavor text but that's not important, right? I'll just add that later.
We'll continue once the upgrades are chosen or if enough time passes. Let's say 48 hours max after I send the final PM.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: January 25, 2014, 11:43:27 am »

((So, mission was successful except we also accidentally bombed the shit out of the people we were supposed to be helping. At least it wasn't a nuclear strike, I guess, though there'll probably be wacky consequences from the Device hitting the ground like that.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1193 on: January 25, 2014, 11:47:42 am »

((You completed your objectives and were rewarded for that, as was promised. The rules state that if you complete your objectives, you get rewarded. That you almost completely failed the mission is of no consequence to that. Except if you or your characters find silly things like morals and the lives of millions of people important.

EDIT: There's a saying in my mother tongue that says "The operation was successful. The patient expired.". That pretty much sums up how this mission went.))
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:50:44 am by Parisbre56 »

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: January 25, 2014, 12:01:26 pm »

((Except if you or your characters find silly things like morals and the lives of millions of people important.))
((Yeah, this is gonna be extremely tough for me Zechariah.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 25, 2014, 12:02:38 pm »

((Except if you or your characters find silly things like morals and the lives of millions of people important.))
((Yeah, this is gonna be extremely tough for me Zechariah.))
((Indeed. Maybe it's for the best that Angel died before she helped make a huge mess of the mission.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: January 25, 2014, 01:57:10 pm »

((All right!
Oh, by the way, what have I been doing this whole time? IC I don't know who any people on my team are, and OOC I only remember John. Everyone else was there kinda, but I didn't read any of their dialogue so I don't know who they are or what their motivations are.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 25, 2014, 02:27:24 pm »

((Angel is a confused little girl who has a bit of a guilt complex from having killed a bunch of people. She also has a presence in her head that sometimes takes over.))
Sig

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1198 on: January 25, 2014, 04:12:59 pm »

Clarification: If you have 3 points for example, you could take Reflexes I, Reflexes II and Reflexes III at the same time. You wouldn't have to wait for the next levelup.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 25, 2014, 04:45:41 pm »

((Zechariah Dimikaelo is an emotionally complex "Medium" with an alter-ego and an understanding of different dimensions, emotions, lives, and pretty much everything. This can be a problem pretty much most of the time.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 521