Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1074111 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Wacky Death Rave
« Reply #5745 on: February 17, 2016, 08:44:10 am »

"General Linus? Sir? I'm... I'm sorry. I didn't want anything like this to happen. I.. I don't know why Ike and Nik did that. Honestly, I'm hoping they know something I don't, and that there was a good reason for their actions, but... I really don't know. I'm sorry. Please don't hate me sir."
Theri was about to add to the idea, but as she heard the General's footsteps leave the vicinity, she directed her words onto his wife instead.

"If he's disappointed in himself for trusting us, no matter how much you are disgusted by me and my friend: We are honored to be kept safe by your husband's trust. Thank you also, for having the decency to treat us like people, despite any prejudice in mind. Your family has a good heart, I've seen it in your child's eyes. He'll grow up well and good.

"And I am very sorry for the inconveniences we've caused."

Follow the tri-tailed friend-buddy! :D Also ensure the wounded around me are kept safe, and whisper a 'stay safe, follow your parents, be good' to the young boy (if it's an OK-to-whisper-under-the-mother's-watch moment)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5746 on: February 18, 2016, 06:57:39 pm »

((Did I ever join this game?))
I have your character in my notes, so yes.

I've got a weird sense of deja vu.

((That's quite helpful, thank you.))

Campaign, Ike!

Throw my knife at the wizard while retreating. If he does fire off a spell, try to use the pursuing soldiers as cover.
You didn't really answer my question though. Are you heading towards a particular direction or should I choose one at random?

((I'd prefer toward the general's estate if possible, whichever direction that is.))
You throw your knife at the mage. He looks at you with a hint of dread, ready to dodge. But he doesn't have to, for your aim is way off. The knife goes towards a soldier instead, who easily swats it away with his shield. The mage immediately makes a motion with his hands and the energy gathered between them, obviously seeking a quick retaliation.

The mage gasps and falls to his knees. The energy between his hands turns into a dark blob, a darkness that explodes instead of flying towards you. The chunks fly into his face and stick to it and his body like thick viscous tar. The soldiers closest to him freeze for a second. Then one of them shouts "Black magic! Get clear!". The rest comply, running away and getting some distance between themselves and the mage. All except one, who remains frozen in place and raises his sword.

The mage screams for a second before his mouth is covered by the expanding black substance. He convulses and thrashes for a few moments before he spins around and throws himself to the soldier that stayed behind, trying to hit him with his arms. The soldier is quicker, using his sword to counter-strike at the mage's arms, but it is completely ineffective. The mage's arms barely slow down, taking the soldier's sword with them as they continue their strike. The soldier manages to raise his shield to block the strike, but it's still strong enough to send him tumbling back.

"Get out of there! What are you doing?!" one of the others warns him.

But before the soldier can move, the jumps on him. The soldier tries to push the mage away with his shield, but that only results in the soldier getting trapped under it as the mage falls on it. The mage thrashes and pummels the soldier's shield and helmet like mad, looking more like he's having a seizure than actually attacking. The strikes are strong enough to bend the metal and paint the dirt with the dead soldier's blood and brain matter.
"Damn. That ungodly abomination..." one of the soldiers comments.
"Wait! It's eating him?" another adds with the same level of disgust.
Yes, 'the abomination' as they called it (which is now less of a human and more of a human-shaped blob of tar) has put it face close to the soldier's neck, from which crunching sounds start emanating. The surface of the tar shudders slightly and becomes more solid. And then the crunching sounds spread to the body of the abomination. A more well defined shape starts appearing on its back, a new set of limbs with sharp edges.

The soldiers gather closer to each other, form a defensive line and point their swords at it defensively, but maintain their distance from it.

Those events seem to either scare or at least distract the soldiers chasing you for you to get a good distance between you and them. You keep running towards the tower. You also see Alan, who has recently made his way out of the tower and has started getting closer to you. You'll meet up with him next turn. Do you and Xan have  any plan about what you're gonna do next?

"General Linus? Sir? I'm... I'm sorry. I didn't want anything like this to happen. I.. I don't know why Ike and Nik did that. Honestly, I'm hoping they know something I don't, and that there was a good reason for their actions, but... I really don't know. I'm sorry. Please don't hate me sir."
Theri was about to add to the idea, but as she heard the General's footsteps leave the vicinity, she directed her words onto his wife instead.

"If he's disappointed in himself for trusting us, no matter how much you are disgusted by me and my friend: We are honored to be kept safe by your husband's trust. Thank you also, for having the decency to treat us like people, despite any prejudice in mind. Your family has a good heart, I've seen it in your child's eyes. He'll grow up well and good.

"And I am very sorry for the inconveniences we've caused."

Follow the tri-tailed friend-buddy! :D Also ensure the wounded around me are kept safe, and whisper a 'stay safe, follow your parents, be good' to the young boy (if it's an OK-to-whisper-under-the-mother's-watch moment)
You speak to the woman. She doesn't respond to you. When you finish speaking, she looks away and says nothing, although she doesn't look as tense anymore.
You approach the boy and whisper your goodbye. She does not interfere.
The boy looks at you curiously for several seconds. Then he hugs you. "Bye." he says with his childish voice.

When given the map, I'm fine with using the tunnel.
The general returns a few moment later holding the same leather-covered metal cylinder that held the map he showed you earlier, the top holding some stone decorations. He quickly goes down the stairs, hands it to you and continues moving with his quick pace. You go through a tunnel and then keep moving until you reach a dead end. The general pauses, retrieves a small tuning-fork-like object made of metal and stone from one of his pockets. He closes his eyes and takes a second to slow his breathing. He strikes the wall with the object and it resonates, producing a note.
"Faaal..." the general utters the syllable, his tone matching the tone produced by the tuning fork.
"Ei fal em eoro." he continues, singing the words.
The wall resonates with the words, vibrating like water before melting away to reveal a dark tunnel.
"Get in."
"Keep going straight until you reach the staircase. Then take the second left and then right again. You'll find another door."
he says while your group enters the tunnel.
"Close the door on the other side. I don't want any creatures to get in. Leave the key there."

His instructions finished, he strikes the key against what's left of the wall. The key produces a different tone and he sings a different set of words.
"Saaald... Ai sald em vounthoi."
The moment he finishes, he tosses the key to you. Then the wall closes and you are left in darkness.

<Oh, a dark tunnel. That's a classic. Watch out for bats, giant rats and giant cave spiders.> Roger warns Irine through their link.
<This is an old fortress, so skeletal soldiers are also possible. But everyone knows those guys are softer than tissue paper.>
<Heh. I mean, skeletons? Really? Who thought that would be a good idea? 'Oh, I'll just get a pile of bones barely held together by magic to defend me. I'm sure nothing will be able to defeat them.' Ha!>

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: February 18, 2016, 07:07:42 pm »

((What's my name again?  In game.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: February 18, 2016, 07:16:07 pm »

I immediately generate a small flame orb before people have a chance to move and I'm at risk of hitting them with it, and then, assuming nobody wants to do something else, follow the General's instructions and leave.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: February 18, 2016, 07:45:32 pm »

((Looks like somebody rolled a one... somebody being the mage.))

((I'd like to note I still don't have my upgrade tree, unfortunately.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: February 18, 2016, 08:37:02 pm »

((Did I ever join?))
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: February 18, 2016, 10:13:52 pm »

"Hmm. That looks distinctly un-fun."

My preparation will finally be handy! Approach to optimal firing range and set my aim squarely on the Nega-Pilsbury Doughboy.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: February 19, 2016, 10:31:42 am »

(('twas inevitable))

Campaign, Ike!

Ike shrugs. Seems like these guys ought to have their hands full for a moment. He walks off toward Alan.

"Hey, I think somebody sabotaged their wizard. Also these guys killed... that guy who was hanging around us, whatever his name was. Not the Jesus guy, the other one. We might want to cheese it shortly."

Give Alan the rundown. Consider likelihood of cutting out Nikolai's datasphere without interruption. If there's an opportunity and his corpse is unguarded, steal it and then retreat back to non-threatening range.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:35:30 pm by Harry Baldman »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: February 19, 2016, 12:07:48 pm »

((I'd like to note I still don't have my upgrade tree, unfortunately.))
+1
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: February 19, 2016, 12:23:28 pm »

"Aww, they killed Nicky Giant Tricycle? That sucks. Here, I'll make a distraction so you can get his body."
Sig! Onol

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5755 on: February 21, 2016, 10:22:57 pm »

(('twas inevitable))

Campaign, Ike!

Ike shrugs. Seems like these guys ought to have their hands full for a moment. He walks off toward Alan.

"Hey, I think somebody sabotaged their wizard. Also these guys killed... that guy who was hanging around us, whatever his name was. Not the Jesus guy, the other one. We might want to cheese it shortly."

Give Alan the rundown. Consider likelihood of cutting out Nikolai's datasphere without interruption. If there's an opportunity and his corpse is unguarded, steal it and then retreat back to non-threatening range.
You could definitely run there and get to Nikolai while that thing is distracting the soldiers. You have a pretty good chance of doing so.

One problem is that there are still two soldiers after you. You could probably outrun them, but there's always the chance you get really unlucky. Hopefully you won't attract the abomination's or any of the soldiers' or scouts' attention.

Another problem is that Nikolai is still a corpse instead of an easy-to-carry orb, which might present a problem if you get there and he's still a corpse and there are people after you. I mean, you could cut a piece and hope the sphere materializes near it, but you're not sure if that's possible and how the sphere thing actually works. Or you could try carrying the entire corpse, but that would slow you down.

"Hmm. That looks distinctly un-fun."

My preparation will finally be handy! Approach to optimal firing range and set my aim squarely on the Nega-Pilsbury Doughboy.
We'll say you do your best cop pose and point your finger gun at your target once you get close enough. Your action is a bit ambiguous though. Do you want to fire or just take aim and be ready to fire?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:25:16 pm by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: February 21, 2016, 10:27:31 pm »

Alan squints steely-eyed at the suspect.

"Time's up, perp! You're about to get ... tied up."

I intended to just take aim. Now, however, that my aim's been squarely set, unleash the full force of my gigantic Silly String can upon yonder black jello man!

By which I mean fire the gigantic can of silly string I tried to prepare in advance at the dark magic abomination thing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:40:18 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: February 22, 2016, 04:36:09 am »

Campaign, Ike!

Guess we can hang around for a bit. Not like there's wizards menacing us anymore.

Also, if the soldiers insist on trying to fuck with us, show them the error of their ways. Basically run interference for Alan while he works his chaotic destruction.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5758 on: February 22, 2016, 08:47:22 am »

I immediately generate a small flame orb before people have a chance to move and I'm at risk of hitting them with it, and then, assuming nobody wants to do something else, follow the General's instructions and leave.
You summon a rather large flame orb. But fortunately, other than making the normally dark and cold tunnel brighter and a bit hot, it has no other side effects.

Your group starts moving down the small tunnel, following the general's directions. This place is a lot more utilitarian than the parts of the fortress you had seen so far. There are no intricate carvings, only some symbols occasionally visible behind a thin layer of dust or spider webs. And so far the only statue you've seen was a small vaguely humanoid statue marking an intersection.

From the looks of it, this place has been unused for a long time. Such a long time in fact that spiders have found the time to weave large, intricate yet mostly empty webs and the dirt, dust and debris have formed a thick but fragile cover on the ground with a dune-like texture. The dust dunes get disturbed as you pass through them, raising small clouds. Parts of them are flammable, cracking as they combust whenever they fly into your fire.

There aren't many branches in the path. There are occasional small tunnels or stairs, some of them not smoothed, some of them too small for a human to go through, but they don't look important. Some of them apparently bring in fresh air, judging by the disturbance in the dust dunes and the occasional draft of air around them. However, none of them provide any light, at least none that you can see from here. You don't investigate anything. Better to continue on your way and not risk getting lost.

Eventually you come upon some of the larger inhabitants of these tunnels, things larger than the tiny insects you've encountered so far. These are instead large insects. At least in height, because they're almost half as tall as a human when walking. They have a tiny main body (no larger than a small rock). It has multiple eyes on its top and a tiny mouth with mandibles. It walks on extremely thin legs, almost bouncing on them as they bend. It looks like a kid's drawing of a spider that has come to life, so thin it looks as if it could break with the slightest pressure. You think you remember Ike mentioning a similar creature, but much smaller. Maybe this is how they look like when they get older.

<Oh, hey, giant spiders! Called it!>

They seem interested in you. They follow you around but keep their distance trying to stay in the shadows. Whenever you or your fire gets too close, they scurry off and disappear into some inaccessible hole in the wall, their legs bending and retracting close to their body to allow them to move through them, only to reappear further down the tunnel. But they don't seem hostile, so you leave them be.

((Pausing for a bit.))

Alan squints steely-eyed at the suspect.

"Time's up, perp! You're about to get ... tied up."

I intended to just take aim. Now, however, that my aim's been squarely set, unleash the full force of my gigantic Silly String can upon yonder black jello man!
Campaign, Ike!

Guess we can hang around for a bit. Not like there's wizards menacing us anymore.

Also, if the soldiers insist on trying to fuck with us, show them the error of their ways. Basically run interference for Alan while he works his chaotic destruction.

Ike stands aside and lets Alan get to work. Alan kneels and prepares to assault the abomination with a giant can and a bad pun. And he does just that. He doesn't just launch some silly string. He launches an entire can, an giant glowing metal cylinder the size of a tanker truck moving at high speed.

Ike barely has enough time to dive headfirst into the ground. He still feels the can touch him and throw a bit of dirt over him as it bounces near him.

Everyone else is not that lucky. Everything in a line from Alan to Nikolai's corpse and beyond (including the abomination) gets caught by the can bulldozing through them and get carried away with it. Only one of the soldiers in the can's path manages to execute an ostrich maneuver similar to Ike's and avoid the grim fate of getting pulped by a giant silly can.

I hope you perps like a hearty serving of hot sticky justice with your jello!

What's more, the can miraculously misses Nikolai's corpse, allowing Ike to quickly approach it without danger should he choose to do so. And saving him the trouble of having to dig through a bunch of mangled corpses to find it.

Is Alan's curse broken? Has he somehow become the only competent/lucky person in the team? Or is this simply one of luck's elaborate plots to put Alan in a position where he can cause maximum damage (if he hasn't done so already)? Could this all be just a giant 6, whose sideffects we have yet to see? Find out in the next exciting episode of DBZ.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: February 22, 2016, 10:30:01 am »

((note: Giant Cave Spiders were the most dangerous threat in Irine's home. She is familiar with the concept. The ones she made dislike light and heat, have highly lethal venom, and can grow to absurd sizes. She would assume she is inside a spider den and be wary of them as such.))
the way the large flame orb is handled is to spread it out into a collection of smaller orbs, and those are spread out around the party, forming a perimeter of light and heat and making sure we can see whatever is coming. There is no need to engage the spiders, so I don't. And if they try to web our path ahead, burn the webbing away and continue undeterred. Do not leave the path.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 521