Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1072258 times)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Wacky Death Rave
« Reply #5775 on: February 26, 2016, 02:45:15 am »

"In theory, yes," he admitted. "But I haven't figured out how this new staff interacts with the environment, or how it interacts with me. Joma relied not just on the area but the - how can I put this - the density of darkness, too. It's hard to explain, but there's varying degrees of darkness that I can transform into living Shadows. Darkness seems to flow, too. When I had Joma, my powers worked better in complete darkness. A moonless night was better than a dark corner of a building in daytime, for example. Both worked, but I could create Shadows much more efficiently with total darkness. Like this." He gestures to the walls of the tunnel. "The darkness is continuous here. It's all around. It's not contained in one single area." He feels the texture of his staff. "Of course, this isn't Joma. I don't know if the same principles apply. I think that this staff relies more on my own willpower and mental state, but I'm not sure yet. I've only had it for a day now."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: February 26, 2016, 06:13:46 am »

Zechariah looked up when Tiruin called for him.[...]
((I love people mistaking me and Theri x3 I am my character, woo! \o/ :P))

Theri listened on and pondered on her knowledge of physics. Did Zach's meaning also pertain to shadows?

"If you're working with the opague space left in between light energy, could...I ask if you can deal with smoke, Irine? Zach has a point on determining where we fight--so I'm thinking let's make it our battlefield. Any ideas how you can work fire that way? I'm thinking heavy smoke."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: February 26, 2016, 12:05:36 pm »

"Not without something to burn to make the smoke, no. If there's oily stuff then I could burn that for some thick smoke but my fire on its own is smokeless."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5778 on: March 02, 2016, 05:11:23 pm »

((note: Giant Cave Spiders were the most dangerous threat in Irine's home. She is familiar with the concept. The ones she made dislike light and heat, have highly lethal venom, and can grow to absurd sizes. She would assume she is inside a spider den and be wary of them as such.))
the way the large flame orb is handled is to spread it out into a collection of smaller orbs, and those are spread out around the party, forming a perimeter of light and heat and making sure we can see whatever is coming. There is no need to engage the spiders, so I don't. And if they try to web our path ahead, burn the webbing away and continue undeterred. Do not leave the path.
((I'll just continue on. Ike and the rest can catch up later, if and when they get themselves out of that mess. It's not like waiting for them would change anything, unless they do something very unexpected.))

You spread your flames around in a beutiful display of twinkling lights.
<If the corridor wasn't so small, you could create a beutiful imitation of the night sky. You should try it later. Might be fun to see. You know try making some modern art. "The moving sky."
Too bad we're not on a ship. We could mess up constellations to play a prank on the navigator.
Although I guess turning constelations over cities into amusing shapes is always an option... Then you could literally say 'It's written in the stars.'.>

You continue following your path. You walk for quite some time. Sometimes you catch sight of creatures moving in the dark or scurrying out of your way. But none of them seem willing to interact with you.

You eventually reach a dead end. This should hopefully be the exit you were meant to use. Otherwise things could become a bit... difficult.

You grab the key the general gave you, face the wall and take a deep breath as you prepare. You strike the wall and try to match your voice to the tone produced by the key. You repeat the words the general used, trying to imitate his tone and rhythm as best as you can. Nothing happens. You try singing the words again, making sure to calm yourself and relax to prevent your voice from trembling, while at the same time focusing on your intent of opening the secret door. This time it works. The wall dissolves, creating a doorway that lets in blinding light.

When your eyes have adjusted, you can once more see the outside world. The doorway opens out of the rounded cliff-side of the Godstone hill that extends to your west. Is the entire hill filled with tunnels like the one you used? Or is this the only significant one?

In the distance, you see a town, a collection of small buildings surrounded by a thick but old and poorly maintained wall. (Poorly maintained because it seems there are pieces missing from it and its colour and shape varies greatly from the effects of the weather and erosion.) You could probably reach the town before sunset if you hurried. And if you wished to reach the town.

Although that might probably not be the best idea. The town is surrounded by tents, some of them burnt, some of them still smoking. Must be the refugees you heard about. Or what's left of them anyway, if this is the town the general's servant talked about. It probably is, given that many of the buildings inside the town are also smoking or otherwise damaged.

Two things dominate the centre of the town.
One is what could be described as a very tall, very thin pyramid that is covered in holes and scorch marks. Its top has partially collapsed, revealing a cross section of its upper levels.
The other is a huge statue in the centre of a plaza middle of the town. It's hard to see what it depicts from here. Looks like a humanoid standing on something and holding something. But you can see a lot of activity close to it. A large number of people disappearing into a giant hole in the ground while others come out of it. There's a mound of dirt close to it.

The area between you and the town is mostly empty. There are a few people on the road leading to the town (a number of them gathered in a group), but the road is some distance to your south, so they aren't close to you. That and the fact that there are several dry shrubs growing close to the doorway you just opened makes you think that it is almost impossible for you to have been spotted.

((note: Giant Cave Spiders were the most dangerous threat in Irine's home. She is familiar with the concept. The ones she made dislike light and heat, have highly lethal venom, and can grow to absurd sizes. She would assume she is inside a spider den and be wary of them as such.))
the way the large flame orb is handled is to spread it out into a collection of smaller orbs, and those are spread out around the party, forming a perimeter of light and heat and making sure we can see whatever is coming. There is no need to engage the spiders, so I don't. And if they try to web our path ahead, burn the webbing away and continue undeterred. Do not leave the path.
Support DAF's character as he keeps walking with us, so as not to extend any damage from his wound. Follow Irine! Be aware.

"I sometimes wonder if I were in their place. Wondering what new creatures scurried into our territory. Amazing creatures. You're doing alright Irine? Zach?"
Zechariah probably appreciates the help.

The route is quite uneventful. The most unpleasant thing that happens to you is an unpleasant smell, something rotting somewhere in the hallways. There's a particularly thick wall of webs obstructing your path close to that point, but Irine's fire makes short work of it.

"I'm not a sorcerer, I'm Alan! Now then, can we like talk and stuff? Chill beans? Diplomacy? The true magic in this vast cosmos, friendship?"

In case my appeal to his better humanity doesn't work, stick him to the ground with a giant band-aid.
The man doesn't seem to be willing to listen to your argument. He seems very much intent on killing you. At least you're pretty sure that he wants to do that, given the kind of words he's using to respond. But hey, who knows, this is a foreign culture. Maybe telling people to sodomise with sharpened wooden poles is a traditional greeting of theirs.
You respond by throwing a giant band aid somewhere on the horizon. And then at the sky. And then at Ike, who easily dodges it.

Campaign, Ike!

Return to Alan and shank the guy he's distracting in any reasonably uncovered areas of his body.
Alan tries to stop the soldier with his band aids and fails miserably multiple times. The soldier tries to stab Alan and fails miserably multiple times. Ike tries to stab the soldier but he hears him approach and turns around to block the strike with his shield. The soldier tries to stab Ike but he's so quick he might as well had tried to stab water. Ike stabs the soldier again. The soldier blocks again. Ike pushes his sword straight through the shield and the soldier's chest. The soldier swings at Ike. Ike lets go of the sword and jumps back, avoiding the strike, leaving his blade holding the shield in place, like a pin. He keeps his distance and lets the soldier's lung fill with enough blood to no longer be a threat.

While the two were dealing with the incredibly-hard-to-kill soldier (seriously, it took about 30 rolls to kill that guy) the abomination has not been sitting idle. It pushes the can of silly string into the air and bursts out of the ground, moving towards you.

It's quite different now. It's no longer a simple humanoid. Or rather, it's not quite humanoid or quite singular. It's more of a large central mass that half-walks half-slithers on the ground with its oversized, partially merged legs. It has thin long pointy limbs sprouting out of its back. The limbs are attached to mangled bodies partially covered by the black substance that are held in front of it. Some of them are walking or at least trying to imitate walking while others simply hang from where the limbs have stabbed them. You can't help but feel that the way the bodies are arranged, they look very much like the teeth of a skull.

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: March 02, 2016, 05:20:42 pm »

((Hmm. Where's the can in relation to the skullbomination right now? I have a wonderful idea.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: March 02, 2016, 05:46:59 pm »

Campaign, Ike!

"Lot of good you did, you worthless piece of shit. Real credit to society. Let drowning in your own blood be my gift to you," Ike spits on the probably still choking soldier, then turns to Alan. "We'd best get out of here. Try to maybe dunk that a-bomb somehow. Details I'll leave up to you while I try to distract it so you can line up a good shot."

Retrieve sword from the soldier and make a tactical retreat. Pass Nikolai's soul sphere to Alan and run interference for him to distract the abomination.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5781 on: March 02, 2016, 05:57:25 pm »

((Hmm. Where's the can in relation to the skullbomination right now? I have a wonderful idea.))
Somewhere in front of it and slightly to its right (that is your left assuming you're looking at it). Not very far away from it but not closer enough to be in its path..

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: March 02, 2016, 06:00:45 pm »

"Hey Ike, try not to be on fire, okay?"

Shoot a gas stove with all burners on high right at the highly pressurized flammable gigantic Silly String can.

Duck and cover.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: March 02, 2016, 06:05:51 pm »

"You know, Alan, I get these dark-ish and unusually violent moods sometimes, but you seem to know exactly what to say to cheer me up every time."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: March 02, 2016, 06:12:10 pm »

"You know, Alan, I get these dark-ish and unusually violent moods sometimes, but you seem to know exactly what to say to cheer me up every time."
"Thanks, Ike! I like doing that.

Also literally though, there's gonna be a lot of burny bits around this area in a few seconds."
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: March 02, 2016, 08:38:09 pm »

((Is this Stacy and Xan reversed?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: March 02, 2016, 08:53:38 pm »

first things first, I put my comm-wire back on and try to contact River.
<River? Can you hear me? Are Ike, Alan, and Nik okay?>

((OOC: I understand that you don't have an answer for this yet, but Irine's goal at this point would be to regroup, so...))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: March 02, 2016, 11:54:49 pm »

((Is this Stacy and Xan reversed?))
((...my god. We've come full circle.))
Sig! Onol

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Special People: Map Time
« Reply #5788 on: March 05, 2016, 08:34:05 pm »

Some people asked me in PMs about the entity granted abilities. Got two things for that.

One is this system:
You can choose to spend 3 Upgrade points to let your entities work on you freely, giving you something they find useful, something related to them. The ability they choose is not limited by your current abilities. It will be powerful and will probably unlock new options for you, increasing your versatility. However you have no control over what they give you.

The other is this:
I would also like to inform you that I'm trying out a new upgrade system to replace the old "3UPs to get an upgrade from your entity". You can choose to try it out if you want. Basically, you choose an entity and some shapes and you get a new ability based on those, with the catch being that you don't know what the shapes mean until you try them. Costs 2 Upgrade Points but you get to generate two abilities and choose the one you like or get a 1 UP refund. Subject to change.

Choose.

I'll take the secret. After all, what better way to play someone who has almost no idea what drawbacks their ability has than actually not knowing yourself?

My idea was that the holes would randomly explode. That being said, I liked every one of your weaknesses more. I probably would have chosen the one where the energy drained was absorbed, if the secret wasn't so tempting.

As for the mission, I choose Wacky Demolition Derby. If you're not doing that, I'll choose the large dangerous arena.
I used the ability generator I have in reverse in order to generate some weaknesses. FYI, your character is now blind. He can only see a distorted vision through the two vortexes he controls. And those two vortexes are always on. You can only try to move them around in relation to your body, widen them or try to make them smaller and more subtle, but can't extinguish them completely. Plus some other things that are secret, some good, some bad, some... interesting. That's it. Have fun~

I'm reposting this, not to be annoying, but because I have a feeling I waited too long to reply to questions :P

Name: Hannah
Ability: Drawing on a magical drawing pad, which causes things drawn to be real. Also likes knives.
Appearance: Short (~5' 2") 14 year old girl, with dark brown hair coming down to slightly past her shoulders. She occasionaly wears makeup, but prefers not to. She has a great smile.
Bio/Personality info: Preffers to wear leggings or jeans and sweatshirts, but refuses to wear a dress by choice. Is very good at drawing, helping with her power, although occasionaly needs to stop, or she might start drawing nightmares into existence. Lost her dad recently, and never knew her brother. Has a boyfriend she has worried about since she was brought here, and hopes he's okay. Loves darker, cooler colors, and is annoyed by bright, warm colors.

Power should be Versatile, Quick, Durable, Powerful in that order.
Sounds good to me. You'll get exactly what you wished for.
Welcome aboard.

Also, for some reason, I kept imagining your character holding an etch-a-sketch or a magna doodle.

((What's my name again?  In game.))
Alex Tempus.
Do you want me to just send you a PM with everything I have? Might be quicker.

Oh dear. Let's get to counting these votes then.
Spoiler: votes (click to show/hide)

Tally:
Beirus |Search and Destroy -> 1
Toaster, Beirus |Wacky Death Rave -> 2
Hawk132, Beirus, Toaster |Galactic Adventure -> 3
Toaster |Wacky Death Race -> 1
FallacyofUrist, TheBiggerFish| Large Dangerous Wacky Galactic Death Arena Race -> 2
Hawk132(I assume), FallacyofUrist, Salsacookies| PVP galactic wacky death roadtrip -> 3
FallacyofUrist, Zormod(first pref.), Salsacookies| wacky demolition derby -> 3
Hawk132(first pref.), Zormod(second pref.), Coolrune206| large dangerous arena -> 3

So these are the votes as I count them. Decide what you want or I'll decide for you. Either way, I want to start a new mission when I'm done with those upgrade trees.

Campaign

Shoot a gas stove with all burners on high right at the highly pressurized flammable gigantic Silly String can.

Duck and cover.

This one is the action that matters, so let's run it first.

You summon a giant stove.
Take a look at that stove!
Said stove is supplied with gas. Ignited gas.
Oh, what a stove!
Said giant burning stove is launched at incredible speeds towards the giant can of silly string. The collision ruptures the string can and the stove, releasing the inflammable substances trapped in either device. The result is a Hollywood-style fireball, combined with napalm-like burning sticky silly string flying everywhere. Somehow you manage to remain completely unharmed, even though many of the burning pieces land close to you.

You're sort of burning just by being close to that thing. Not to mention that breathing it might not be very healthy. Might want to get away.

Campaign, Ike!

"Lot of good you did, you worthless piece of shit. Real credit to society. Let drowning in your own blood be my gift to you," Ike spits on the probably still choking soldier, then turns to Alan. "We'd best get out of here. Try to maybe dunk that a-bomb somehow. Details I'll leave up to you while I try to distract it so you can line up a good shot."

Retrieve sword from the soldier and make a tactical retreat. Pass Nikolai's soul sphere to Alan and run interference for him to distract the abomination.
You retrieve the sword and stand behind Alan as he kabooms the place up. Probably the safest place to be when you have to be close to Alan. For multiple reasons.

The place he just shot is now a firestorm. The fireball is dissipating but the covering of burning silly string is still there. Hm. Smells like burning bacon.

No one could had survived that. Not even that thing.
But knowing your luck, it's quite possible that it has survived that. And if it has survived that, then it's probably really hard to kill and really pissed with you.

first things first, I put my comm-wire back on and try to contact River.
<River? Can you hear me? Are Ike, Alan, and Nik okay?>

((OOC: I understand that you don't have an answer for this yet, but Irine's goal at this point would be to regroup, so...))
My assumption with ~90% certainty would be that they won't be close to you at the time. Whether they'd be 15 minutes away or dead is another matter. So no response.

You could just wait and let them find you, find something else to do while you wait. Isn't that what you're supposed to do when you've become separated with someone in unfamiliar territory?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:37:55 pm by Parisbre56 »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: March 05, 2016, 08:39:21 pm »

TIEBREAKER
I vote for:
Large dangerous arena

Also, I'd kinda like to get that upgrade tree sometime.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 521