Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Might alter the shield system next round, vote on it:

Same as now.
Paneled shield system (current fave) Overcharge does not act as a shield battery, ships have a certain number of sections based on the shield type they have, power is allocated between panels, players must actively allocate power.(probably going to try)
Shield gen not connected to overcharge.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Blackspace (Reboot soonish~!)  (Read 18266 times)

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blackspace, (a space combat simulation)
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 10:08:19 am »

I think I'm in the South-West so

Head north and East. Don't run into asteroids but go around that big one so I am north of it

Spectr

• Bay Watcher
  • Watching Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 11:34:42 am »

I'll sign up for the second round.

Commander name: Richard Fargoth
Fleet name: Grand Flotilla
Corvette ship name: Ol' Reliant
Crew 1 name: Captain Hunt, A quiet man that holds his ship above everything else.
Crew 2 name: Frank Solomon, a brute of a man that lives by "shoot first, ask questions later"
Orders to fleet:
1. Stay in formation.
2. Patrol sector in clockwise movement
3. Fire as soon as an enemy comes in range.
4. Retreat if outgunned
Orders to individual ships:
1. Energy Priorities: Bridge, LS, Weapons, Shields, Pods, Atmos
2. Self-sacrifice for the good of the fleet is honourable
3. If formation is broken, unless order to, retreat and regroup
Word

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 08:06:15 pm »

I move round the rocks then fire a missile, both lasers and as many pulse cannons as I can.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34:57 pm »

Space is 3d. It should be possible to fly over/under the asteroids. I understand if you don't want that though.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Meme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 09:16:36 pm »

Fleet name:Octopus Army
Corvette ship name:The Squid
Crew 1 name:John Johnson
Crew 2 name:Amy May
Orders to fleet:
Keep together
If fighting larger fleet, activate pod bay at all costs
Any singular ship in danger should activate pod bays at all costs
Any ship that splits from the group should activate pod bays at all costs
Concentrate fire on weakest ship, if all ships are the same power concentrate on the closest
If need be retreat, but only if the whole fleet is at risk, one ship can go down.
Orders to individual ships:
Always on(No matter the situation):
Life Support , Atmospherics, Bridge
If in danger(Shields down and armour half way):
Pod Bay, Missiles
When Fighting:All weapons except missiles and shields
If ship has no orders:Overcharge

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 05:49:52 am »

I can't see anything. Are you absolutely sure that using blue text on black background in a hilariously small-res picture was anything even remotely approaching a not completely terrible idea?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 01:15:01 pm »

The vertical 'line' of three ships on the left? You're the middle one, Dariush.

But yes, I agree that it was probably not the best decision in the world.

"Open up hailing frequencies, Kor'ui"
"Opening hailing frequencies, Kor'O."
[short buzz of static]
"Attention unidentified ship. This is Admiral Keen Foresight currently aboard the Enduring Peace, of the Air Caste Navy Fleet Advance Group. Hostilities have been reported in this sector. There is, however, safety in numbers. We would request a ceasefire between our parties, and possibly an alliance until other threats have been dealt with. At that point, we can negotiate over possible treaties for this sector and control of said."
"Message has been sent with accompanying translator assistance package, Kor'O."
"Shall we wait for their response, Kor'O?"
"No, Kor'el. Begin maneuvers; set us on a heading through those asteroids."
"At once, sir. Dao'cha, arm the Ion Cannons. Target the larger asteroids; low intensity. And only the ones that would impede our progress, this time, Dao'cha."
"Arming now, Kor'El. I won't make the same mistakes as last time..."

Send message to UEF Himalayas, to 'galactic west-north-west' of us.
Fire both lasers at the asteroids north of us(that section where it turns back down at an angle, so we aren't immediately open to attack from the UEF Himalayas if they aren't friendly.
Move through the hole created.

Oh, and some notes for the GM; right now, power to damage ratio is kinda poor. Especially since pulse cannons(which are railguns for my ship, missile launcher is still missile launcher, laser turrets are ion cannons) have such crappy effective range.
When you can get a 1:1 power to shields ratio, but can only deal 60 damage in one turn by using a pulse cannon, even if you fired a missile as well(and assuming you're using lasers as they are more useful against shields than pulse cannons), meaning you have a power to damage ratio of 3:4(20/5/15=40 power from lasers/missiles/pulse, and 30/20/10=60 damage, if anyone's curious)  at minimum, whilst using up your missile load. Once out of missiles, or if you didn't want to use them, you get a worse ratio of 13:12, just over 1:1(20/45=65 power from lasers/pulse, and 30/30=60 damage).
Meaning either you have to use missiles to even try to get through someone's shields(and they have enough power to simply recharge it, and still have enough leftover to shoot you with a laser), use up your power really freakin' quick, team up with someone(and if you were trying for this one, I would actually applaud you, since it's a good way to do so), or, depending on how the bonus damage and shield recharge works, I could be wrong.

Speaking of which, if you got close enough to someone to be able to hit them with all your weapons at once, it would cost 115 power to do so(dipping into overcharge would be required, of course), and if you were smart, you'd fire lasers, then pulse cannons, then missiles(which would be the order they'd hit in if they were fired simultaneously anyway, due to the speed). Depending on how shields recharge and bonus damage works, you would either
A. Strip them down by a good 110 points of power/shields, if overcharge immediately goes to shields even whilst being fired on,
B. Strip away their shields and 30 points of armor, if the pulse cannon shots are all absorbed by the shields, even if their damage would eb greater than the 30 points remaining after the lasers,
C. Strip away the shields, all of the armor, and 10 points of hull, if it works how I expect it does for the order of damage, but missile bonus damage applied after it's normal damage(and since armor is gone, it gets no bonus at that point),
D. Strip away all shields and armor, but leave hull untouched, if the armor absorbs all of the missile damage since it's one hit, or
E. Kill them entirely, having just barely taken away all of their hull, if the Missile bonus damage applies first/is added since it's hitting armor at all, and also goes through to the hull.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bob_the_builder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 05:09:13 pm »

I want in for next round

Commander name: Commander Bob
Fleet name: The Bad Ass Bunch
Corvette ship name: Bang
Crew 1 name: Captain Ronald
Crew 2 name: 1st Mate - George

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 10:58:04 pm »

Sorry about the picture size, it renders a bit bigger in the program I use then it does on the forum, I'll increase the text size and change the text color this round (I was thinking blue with the ship color when I originally did it) The ships are to scale with the surroundings (they are really bloody small ships compared to the asteroids and ships that will be encountered later on)

The shield to damage ratio is rather poor, yes it is option A, the reason behind that was because I decided that after several offline playtests with several people (at least one of them is signed up, I know not what screen name they are using so there will be no favoritism) I feel like it makes the combat a bit more interesting and quite a bit more tactical. Rather then weapons being independent of shields like in most games, you can't fire full power without draining from your shields (certain later ships excluded) and that makes players need to be quite a bit more careful when it comes to combat against an equal opponent or even a weaker opponent if there are several of them.

Space currently isn't 3d because I don't have a decent 3d rendering program that would allow for quick model construction and manipulation. If I find one, during a later round I will jump it to a 3d renderer. When I code this into a computer game (this is stage 2 of 5 before then), I will code it for 3d and it will run in 3d.

For future orders, if you want orders to be private then PM them to me, I will run orders in PM before orders in topic, if you want to you can have fake orders to trick opponents into doing what you want them to do.

As the Thousand Suns received no active orders, it runs off the standard orders as no changes have been made, it retaliates in full towards the XSC Pinafore

Those who die will be cloned with memories intact for next round, originally the plan was to have commanders not be onboard of any ship, however for this round assume they are since people have individual control. In future rounds, most of the time the commander will not be present in the battlefield (which is the reason for the order system) and rounds will pass much quicker.

It is possible for the round to end with multiple ships still active, however the spoils will be lessened, alliances are a endgame option for rounds.

Turn 2:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Thousand Suns and The XSC Pinafore exchange fire, firing all lasers and all pulses, both have now overcharge at 75. Both have fired Blackout Missiles, Only Thousand Suns and XSC Pinafore can target Blackout Missile A and Blackout Missile B as other ships have not monitored the trajectory. Blackout Missile A and Blackout Missile B have yet to engage Thrusters, they will hit Thousand Suns and XSC Pinafore respectively next turn unless destroyed.
The Doran'cal destroys a section of asteroid wall, firing two lasers, some of the debris hits The Doran'cal's shield as it flies through, it is not enough damage to affect overcharge.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 11:17:20 pm »

Radio the S.C. Red Egg and ask for a temporary truce, if they refuse, fire all the missiles and engage evasive maneuvers, otherwise head slight west and then south.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 12:30:14 pm »

"We have them in our sights captain!" squealed Erika.
"Very good, reroute all power to the weapons, if we can do without it for long enough to fire turn it off" commanded High Monarch Xelada."Oh, and make sure that missile doesn't hit us, I'd hate to imagine what that thing could do to us"
The lights dimmed for a few seconds before bright light erupted from the XSC Pinafore as it let loose a weapon salvo.

One laser shoots the enemies missile the other The Thousand Suns, then as many pulse cannons as possible, turning off anything unneeded.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 07:40:47 pm »

"We have them in our sights captain!" squealed Erika.
"Very good, reroute all power to the weapons, if we can do without it for long enough to fire turn it off" commanded High Monarch Xelada."Oh, and make sure that missile doesn't hit us, I'd hate to imagine what that thing could do to us"
The lights dimmed for a few seconds before bright light erupted from the XSC Pinafore as it let loose a weapon salvo.

One laser shoots the enemies missile the other The Thousand Suns, then as many pulse cannons as possible, turning off anything unneeded.

One laser will not destroy the missile, it has a hull of 10 and lacks shielding, this will result in 5 damage to the hull as well as a roll to see if the warhead is damaged and if not it will hit next turn. A pulse will destroy the missile as it would do 10 damage to the hull. Also firing a missile at the missile would blow it up, but that would be overkill.

Also correction on overcharge status, The XSC Pinafore should have 60 as it moved, compared to the 75 of the Thousand Suns which did not move, I copypasted the overcharge status and forgot to alter it.

Radio the S.C. Red Egg and ask for a temporary truce, if they refuse, fire all the missiles and engage evasive maneuvers, otherwise head slight west and then south.

You can only fire 1 missile per turn, you only have 1 single round missile launcher equipped.

Also of note, if the Thousand Suns and XSC Pinafore have a full weapons exchange, it will not end well for either of them as both will be extremely drained powerwise.

Health status of XSC Pinafore: 60 Overcharge, 60 Shield, 40 Armor, 30 Hull
Health status of Thousand Suns: 75 Overcharge, 60 Shield, 40 Armor, 30 Hull

Power generated 100, -30 for critical systems = 70 power. If both fire all weapons then -90 for all pulses, 30 for all lasers and -5 for missile launcher = 70 - 125 = -55 requiring a drain of 55 from overcharge, putting both ships at:

Health status of XSC Pinafore: 5 Overcharge, 60 Shield, 40 Armor, 30 Hull
Health status of Thousand Suns: 20 Overcharge, 60 Shield, 40 Armor, 30 Hull

This doesn't include damage.
With damage:

Full exchange ignoring missiles:  30 laser damage total, 20 missile total, 60 pulse total  They will hit in that order doing total of 110 damage, resulting in:
End Exchange health status:

Health status of XSC Pinafore: 0 Overcharge, 0 Shield, 0 Armor, 25 Hull  (4 rolls against Armor only systems 1 against Armor and Hull systems)
Health status of Thousand Suns: 0 Overcharge, 0 Shield, 10 Armor, 30 Hull (3 rolls against Armor only systems)

This will result in the XSC Pinafore almost certainly being crippled and the Thousand Suns becoming near certainly the next casualty as well as having the high chance of several weapons being disabled.

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 08:12:04 pm »

Wait. Weapon locks are wrong. pointed out Seth.
Ahhh, well spotted switch the laser and the pulse cannon, and do remember to keep the shields up, no good anihilating the enemy if we go down too!
Change it so both laser fire at the ship, one pulse cannon at the missile and as many as can be fired on the ship, without draining the shields.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 08:49:14 pm »

Commander Name:Chief Lord Petty King Admiral Thorse
Fleet Name:The Blue Fleet
Corvette Name:The Astroid King
Crew 1:Captain Philiosos the Cheesy
Crew 2:Bill, The Peasant Rabble.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 09:28:23 pm »

Well, Kevak, my only problem with it all is this:

Since it drains from overcharge first, and costs more power to fire all of those than the power it takes away from your opponent, they're able to simply let you bash at them, and let their shields take it. Once you run out of missiles, it gets even worse. You'll run out of power first, then they can sweep in for the delicious kill.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13