Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Might alter the shield system next round, vote on it:

Same as now.
Paneled shield system (current fave) Overcharge does not act as a shield battery, ships have a certain number of sections based on the shield type they have, power is allocated between panels, players must actively allocate power.(probably going to try)
Shield gen not connected to overcharge.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Blackspace (Reboot soonish~!)  (Read 18264 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Blackspace, (a space combat simulation)
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 10:18:06 pm »

You can only fire 1 missile per turn, you only have 1 single round missile launcher equipped.
Remind me after the battle to buy more/better missile launchers.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 11:57:30 pm »

And as far as I can tell Erils hasn't been on since Wednesday. Meaning he probably won't reply. Meaning he is presumably an enemy.

Fire both lasers at the asteroids between the UEF Himalayas and the Thousand Suns, to give him something else to worry about.
Move 'up', Galactic North-North-East, through those gaps.
Send following message to SS Skull.

"Attention unidentified ship. This is Admiral Keen-Foresight currently aboard the Enduring Peace, of the Air Caste Navy Fleet Advance Group. Hostilities have been reported in this sector. There is, however, safety in numbers. We would request a ceasefire between our parties, and possibly an alliance until other threats have been dealt with. At that point, we can negotiate over possible treaties for this sector and control of said."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 01:36:58 am »

It would have been nice to know how much health the missiles had. Also what is the point of life support being mentioned, wouldn't it be better to say you generate 70 energy or whatever as it seems you have to spend it.

Because LS, atmos, bridge, and podbay are powered subsystems that can be separately destroyed. Also some ships have multiple power generators and some have multiple bridges, life support systems, atmospheric systems and podbays (among others) If I had it generate only 70, then you would have 40 extra power as they still drain 30 power to keep the crew alive.

You can only fire 1 missile per turn, you only have 1 single round missile launcher equipped.
Remind me after the battle to buy more/better missile launchers.
Sure.

Well, Kevak, my only problem with it all is this:

Since it drains from overcharge first, and costs more power to fire all of those than the power it takes away from your opponent, they're able to simply let you bash at them, and let their shields take it. Once you run out of missiles, it gets even worse. You'll run out of power first, then they can sweep in for the delicious kill.
Remember that Crescent Corvettes are low tier ships, the lasers are technically the best weapon the ship comes pre-equiped with, as they take 10 power and can do 15 damage to the shields and will normally hit instantly as they move so fast. Early on it is a game of calculation, past round 1 it slowly becomes more tactical. (I have done playtests up to round 55 before we ran out of room on the roll of paper because everyone had upwards 200ish ships and I kept having to expand the map.
Weapons available for purchase later on can negate shields entirely, pass through them completely, drain them at a great pow to dam ratio.

Also railguns and ion cannons are higher tier weapons, in relation to one of your earlier rp/order posts, they come with certain higher tier ships or you can buy them as components after a certain number of rounds pass. (I personally like railguns more then ion cannons, both are fun, railguns are more fun to me).

At some point this week I will get the Crescent Corvette blueprint up and I can explain the hardpoint system it in more detail.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:38:59 am by Kevak »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 01:54:43 am »

That's just fluff, Kevak. We can write it off as being less powerful versions, or changed versions.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2013, 02:05:09 am »

That's just fluff, Kevak. We can write it off as being less powerful versions, or changed versions.

They are completely different weapons in both function and design, for one railguns completely ignore shields unless you have a specialized shield generator and can pass through ships to hit other ships provided the round still has damage to do, ion cannons have a chance of short circuiting armor based hardpoints and disabling them for a period of time regardless of if they hit armor or shields, the damage to power ratio is completely different and ion cannons have a set of crystals that alter the traits.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2013, 12:21:31 pm »

Sigh. Kevak, the Tau don't use lasers. They use pulse weapons, but I'm fairly sure your pulse weapons are very different, since theirs are basically weak plasma weapons. Like I said, it's fluff. Ion weapons fit the lasers, railguns fit the pulse cannons, in game terms, and in fluff terms(since they tend to have more railguns than ion weapons). If we started the game with a variety of possible choices, it's be different. But we don't. So I have to make do.

Is it forbidden for me to refer to them as railguns and ion cannons in my fluff? I'm not trying to be aggressive or hostile, but...I mean, come on. This is fluff.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2013, 01:25:00 pm »

No, it's not forbidden at all, when dictating actions use the weapon name but in rp they can essentially be a very low tier of ion beams and railguns, since you are roleplaying as a faction that uses specific weapons I will roll to see how much of a discount you can get on the higher tier ions and rails at the end of the round. For now, they are technically lasers and pulse cannons when dictating actions, but in your rping feel free to refer to them as ions and rails.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2013, 01:16:45 am »

Alright. Well, for reference, they used gravitic missile launchers, railguns, ion cannons, special plasma weapons called pulse/burst weapons, some fusion bomb stuff, gravitic engines, and gravitic shields. Oh, and really, really, high-powered focused lasers/plasma beams(but the plasma has been allowed to begin fusion) called lances. That's what I know, anyway. Normal lasers, not so much. Gauss weaponry, not so much. Armor, not too much, but some. Everyone has armor.

They specialize in long range combat. Firing arcs tend to be front facing, and their shields tend to be much more powerful in front from the gravitic engine/shields(think of it like a sail, made of gravity. Weird, but sorta how they describe it)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2013, 02:16:01 am »

Later on (when I get around to explaining the blueprint system) players will be able to add ships and weapons of their design to the market, around that point you can customize to your hearts content.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2013, 02:20:19 am »

Later on (when I get around to explaining the blueprint system) players will be able to add ships and weapons of their design to the market, around that point you can customize to your hearts content.
Can I make a ship that can launch 40 missiles at once?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2013, 03:19:11 am »

Once the market gets to the point that it can build heavy battleship or larger classes, yes, you could.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2013, 12:34:06 pm »

Sorry I wasn't on. I have been away for a few days but I'm back now.

Reply to message from the Dorn'cal with:
Sorry about the late reply, we had a bit of trouble finding our communicators, new ship and all. We don't want any trouble and, as this area is dangerous, maybe we should stick together for safety.
then continue to the galactic North-West, but not too far, trying to keep an asteroid between us and the Dorn'cal

Meanwhile: In ship chatter:
Jack: Geez! That ship just blew those asteroids away. I hope they're friendly or we are in big trouble. Have you got the Com system running yet?
Lily: I'm working on it!
Frank: My scanners have picked up signs of pulse cannons being fired in the area.
Can you tell where they are coming from?
It seems to be from the Galactic North.
Alright I got the Com up, I'm sending a message now. (Into Com) Sorry about the late reply, we had a bit of trouble finding our communicators, new ship and all. We don't want any trouble and, as this area is dangerous, maybe we should stick together for safety.
They're ship seems to be just as well armed as ours, we can't beat them in a straight fight.
Alright. Let's hope they're friendly but until then I'll try to keep an asteroid between us. I knew we should have brought backup.

EDIT= Whoops, messed up on the font colors there.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2013, 01:27:06 pm »

Dorn'cal and UEF Himalayas officially have a ceasefire, should you both confirm, it can be upgraded to alliance and be eligible for ending the round should your ships be the only ships functional at the end..

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2013, 01:34:44 pm »

I'll confirm.

Also, I'd like to change my action to not shooting those asteroids on the other side of the Himalayas.

"Excellent. Would you please identify your ship, fleet, and commanding officer's name? It'd be nice to refer to our possible allies by something other than 'the ship nearest us', especially since it seems all of the ships here are of a very similar model."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2013, 01:39:51 pm »

If anybody is wondering why everybody has the exact same ships, it's because the Galaxia Insurance Corporation had a insurance bundle sale with the crescent corvette, the GIC is where most of your shopping will be done between rounds (but possibly not all of it).
Insured items cost the item cost plus 6 credits, your ships are insured, you will be able to get new ones for free when they die until the end of your brainpatterns existence. It is possible to buy uninsured stuff for cheaper, however if it is destroyed or otherwise removed from your person, you won't be getting it back unless you buy a new one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13