Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Jurassic Park  (Read 2062 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Jurassic Park
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 06:34:46 am »

Am I the only one that wants a complex building game version of this?
No.

I +1 these solutions:

-GPS tracking of dinosaurs
-Butchering corpses, using meat to feed carnivores (potentially human if deemed safe), sell bones for profit.
-Acquire more DNA
-Use bird DNA to fill gaps, not frogs you silly.
-Arrange for shipping in human food for the restaurants.
-Build hotel?
-Backups backups backups.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 08:49:25 am »

I could probably do that, too.

In the book, they used all sorts of DNA, understandably assuming that it wouldn't matter much as long as they replaced it with the right gene. After all, the genome of virtually every living thing, let alone every tetrapod, is pretty much the same for the most part. It's the rest that matters. (And a good bit of the difference doesn't even code for things anymore.)
Just Wu's luck that the one trait that could have screwed the whole operation up wound up in that stuff they were replacing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 10:51:48 am »

A fair amount of Non coding DNA is actually pretty important ffor regulating gene expression and other processes, but anyways it  still stands that it doesn't make much sense to use anything other than birds and maybe  crocodilians to reduce the margin for error
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:55:26 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 10:56:34 am »

I'm pretty sure that "junk DNA," aka DNA for genes that are no longer expressed, is by definition unimportant.

And yeah, I would have probably done that too. Maybe they didn't have DNA from any archosaurs they knew related to that bit of genome, so they resorted to frogs? That would also explain why all species with any frog DNA wound up being able to breed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 11:07:15 am »

The term junk DNA isn't actually used anymore. In the past decade its been found that about half of the non coding dna actually has a use for creating special types of rna and as docking sites for proteins to attach in order to start processes or to control what other genes are to be activated or not. I saw a presentation on it by a professor from Indiana just last week.

And yeah maybe. Though to be honest the frog thing was pretty screwy in general considering how complicated the genes that allow the frogs to do that are.
It's FEF, not FEOF

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 11:12:07 am »

More interesting dinosaurs? Mix dino-DNA with wider variety of donor animals. Let's give 'em glow-in-the-dark feathers!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 11:43:22 am »

The term junk DNA isn't actually used anymore. In the past decade its been found that about half of the non coding dna actually has a use for creating special types of rna and as docking sites for proteins to attach in order to start processes or to control what other genes are to be activated or not. I saw a presentation on it by a professor from Indiana just last week.
And how much do differences in the specific nucleotides of this DNA matter? I highly doubt that any protein would bind with those. RNA, obviously, but protein?
Sig

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 11:44:08 am »

No.

I +1 these solutions:

-Butchering corpses, using meat to feed carnivores (potentially human if deemed safe), sell bones for profit.
-Acquire more DNA
-Build hotel?

+1
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 11:45:31 am »

More interesting dinosaurs? Mix dino-DNA with wider variety of donor animals. Let's give 'em glow-in-the-dark feathers!
+1 yes lets make chickosaurus rex

We should buy some elephant guns one or two of these massive .700 Nitro Express rifles
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 12:53:38 pm »

No.

I +1 these solutions:

-Acquire more DNA
-Build hotel?

+1
+1

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 01:06:02 pm »

No.

I +1 these solutions:

-Acquire more DNA
-Build hotel?

+1
+1
+1

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 01:24:29 pm »

Creating a map for the more complex game. Got sick of slowly modifying a Hexographer map to fit my tastes, so I decided I'd just take a base one and make a few quick edits before going "F it."
Sig

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 01:25:19 pm »

I could do a map, if you want. What kind of detail do you want on it?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 01:32:38 pm »

1. Easily edited by me. Hexographer's pretty good--it's easy to add and remove features.
2. Fine-grained, so I can add fairly small features like buildings and whatnot to tiles.
3. Islandy in shape, tropical ideal. Not big islands, though, those would be hard for the player to purchase.
Sig
Pages: 1 [2]