Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necro Fortress Question  (Read 1525 times)

red_kangaroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necro Fortress Question
« on: November 07, 2013, 01:58:12 pm »

Probably a very stupid question, but if I retire a fortress, then find a necromancer slab in adventure mode and bring it to the remains of the fortress and then reclaim the fortress, will the slab be still here and will I be able to make my dwarfs to read it? I mean, a fortress full of necromancers, with no needs other than killing and raising... and obeying my orders...
My friends are all dead,
My right foot gone, but what a
Lovely waterfall.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Necro Fortress Question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 02:21:18 pm »

The slab will still be there if you bring it to your fort, but it may get randomly scattered by the scattering effect abandoned forts have. All that means is that it will be on the map, just not where you dropped it.

Without modding, there is no way to make your dwarves into necromancers. Which is a bit of a shame, since necromancer forts can be quite fun. Or !!FUN!!, depending on the ratio of necromancers to non-necromantic citizens.

Carsius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 02:51:27 pm »

The slab will still be there if you bring it to your fort, but it may get randomly scattered by the scattering effect abandoned forts have. All that means is that it will be on the map, just not where you dropped it.

Without modding, there is no way to make your dwarves into necromancers. Which is a bit of a shame, since necromancer forts can be quite fun. Or !!FUN!!, depending on the ratio of necromancers to non-necromantic citizens.

Indeed. Spontaneously combusting zombies are no joke.

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 11:40:35 pm »

Without modding, there is no way to make your dwarves into necromancers.

What about a necromancer king/queen? That's happened before. But that still doesn't solve the problem...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 11:58:03 pm »

Without modding, there is no way to make your dwarves into necromancers.

What about a necromancer king/queen? That's happened before. But that still doesn't solve the problem...

That's possible, but not likely, since most necromancers leave civilization to create towers after becoming one, and give up their titles when they leave. Usually the only time they don't is if you hit a sweet spot in world-gen where they have found a slab, but haven't left society yet.

However, you can guarantee necromancers by making several adventurers, turning them all into necromancers, then retiring them in a mountainhome. Even though mountainhomes won't properly exist until next version, you can safely retire an adventurer if you are in dwarvern territory. This way your adventurer can show up as a migrant in your fortress.

Just make sure there are no corpse stockpiles on the surface or near where migrants may come in, so that you can safely corral the necromancer before you end up with a zombie apocalypse set to the tune of Benny Hill.

If you want a more visual example, check out the link in my signature. Goden really did a number on Murkyroads.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 07:58:00 pm »

So you had a Citizen Necromancer and he raised the Undead to declare himself mayor? O.o Was he the last survivor?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 08:12:08 pm »

So you had a Citizen Necromancer and he raised the Undead to declare himself mayor? O.o Was he the last survivor?

He was the last one, other than a unicorn. The mayor was fine because undead won't bother necromancers or vampires, and possibly werewolves, I'm not too sure.

The unicorn was just lucky enough to keep far enough away from the mass of zombies to avoid being overwhelmed. Though every time it killed a zombie, the corpse would trigger a "haul corpse/refuse" job. Which means something completely different for a necromancer, as he would walk up to the corpse and animate it again instead of bringing it anywhere.

Eventually a ghost got fed up with his corpse being used as a plaything and ripped my necromayor limb from limb.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 10:33:43 pm »

Ultimate evil then . . . An Engraving, stonecrafting necromancer. He can kill people, raise their corpses, and use the engraved slabs of their tombs as ghost repelling TROPHIES. Muahahahahahaha!!!

"My name is Zeb Adawalawombat and I am a necromancer. See this tower? Its walls are lined with the names of those within my army. Fear me!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 04:58:00 am »

I think you might be able to avoid the scattering effect by blocking pathing from the map edges to it.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 01:39:48 pm »

I think you might be able to avoid the scattering effect by blocking pathing from the map edges to it.

You mean completely blocking the map edges? That may actually work. I might try this later.

For those who don't know, the scatter effect starts from the map edge and goes down as far as possible. This is why if a fort is sealed off from the surface and then abandoned, all items will be on the surface and the inside of the fort will be barren, aside from the immovable stuff, like workshops and buildings.

Or you could just use DFHack's lair command before abandoning, since the script was made to prevent scatter.