Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! {RELSIZE} vs {BODYSIZE} to butcher  (Read 939 times)

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!SCIENCE!! {RELSIZE} vs {BODYSIZE} to butcher
« on: November 10, 2013, 05:00:06 pm »

Hey guys.

I probed a series of test creatures with custom internal organs to determine the relationship of BODYSIZE with the RELSIZE of the bodypart containing the butcherable tissue, to determine at what point the tissue becomes a valid product.

Running an iterative series using a mean regression, I was able to obtain finite values from RELSIZE to have a bodypart become butcherable, based on creature BODYSIZE.

Spoiler: chart (click to show/hide)

Plotting these data points, we are able to fit a very simple power series regression.

Spoiler: curve fit (click to show/hide)

As the power is approximating -1, we have a VERY simple 1/x relation of BODYSIZE and RELSIZE.  Adjusting the factor to -1, this become (1,791,154.79 / x).  I am willing to bet that this actually rounds to 1700000 even, and our data set simply lacks enough fidelity.

From these findings, a good rule of thumb may be derived.  The RELSIZE of a bodypart must equal or exceed 1700000 / BODYSIZE in order to yield a butcherable product from its tissues.

RELSIZE >= 1,700,000 / BODYSIZE  : then the bodypart is butcherable.

This is a good place to start.  Further !SCIENCE! is needed on actual body part size for yields in butchering, as I suspect this is in fact the true value checked in the game.  All of my case studies were based on a quadruped body plan test creature, with the standard RELSIZES associated with said creature.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:12:36 pm by Wannabehero »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! {RELSIZE} vs {BODYSIZE} to butcher
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:08:23 pm »

Have you seen this old post, and the thread as a whole?: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78108.msg2012244#msg2012244

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:56:24 pm »

Thanks Urist Da Vinci, that is very useful.  I figured this had to have been probed before.

If I do anymore tests to determine more useful or relevant info, I will post it.  As always, your science is most appreciated.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 02:59:49 pm »

Interesting.  I once made a creature that would only drop meat from a certain body part if it was under the effect of a syndrome that caused that particular body part to grow past the threshold, but I wasn't able to control it perfectly.  This research could come in handy.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 03:36:48 pm »

Running back through the numbers off the cuff, my data correlates very closely to what you posted two years ago Urist Da Vinci.

If the numbers are factored as body part size, it appears that the threshold is ~180 for a body part to yield butcherable tissues.