Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Solved:Ranged Dwarfs not using Archery Range (aka "go to archery practice" bug?)  (Read 2834 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile

I've read about this bug
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4530

I'm playing masterwork mod with the dfhack fix that allows dwarfs to train using non combat bolts. (i.e. # Bug 4530 - marksdwarves not training when quiver full of combat-only ammo
binpatch apply training-ammo)

But my dwarfs are not training  (they were before... but now they stopped).  I deleted all burrows, ensure my range shot correctly).  Verified the guy who is currently trying to train doesn't have hunting on or anything weird.

btw, my hunter is still firing.

What I was seeing was a forever job of "pickup equipment" over an ammo bin, and other times dwarfs would just not go anywere when they had the "go to archery range" job listed.

I think it's a bug.  I tried deleting my ammo and recreating it in the ammunition screen.  I also ensured all the ammo was unforbidden.

I swear to god I am having the problem Lord Demon is describing.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=361

similar issue
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6070

dffd save
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8127
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:54:33 am by thistleknot »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ranged Dwarfs not using Archery Range (aka "go to archery practice" bug?)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 03:54:21 am »

Caveat: i don't do masterwork normally, so i only took a very superficial look. The masterwork subforum might be better equipped to help.

1. Seems like the ranged squads aren't assigned to barracks. Active training requires a barracks, this also holds for archery practice scheduled as part of active training (archery practice can _also_ happen when "inactive").
2. I've looked at the captain of the guard, and they appear to have a quiver with 25 bolts and a "javelin thrower" as weapon. I don't think that's gonna work. The squads have all kinds of ammo assigned _and_ free choice of ranged weapon. Seems like many of them decided to switch weapon at some time without swapping ammo as well, so they're kind of stuck.

Assigning barracks to train at got them into "organise training"/"lead combat training", but you'd have to sort out their equipment quite a bit before they actually started practicing archery.

ag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 04:08:04 am »

There is a huge underlying bug in that the dwarves never ever drop ammo from their quivers. This means that if you change the ammo assignments as you say, you have to get them to drop the whole uniform, or they will be stuck with the stuff they can't use in the quivers. The training patch works around this by allowing both training and combat ammo at the same time in the quiver, but the base bug remains.

Ah, and there is also a known bug that ammo isn't matched up to weapons, so free choice of ranged weapon doesn't work. Not to mention that free choice itself is totally broken because it doesn't respect skills properly.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:09:59 am by ag »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 08:18:46 am »

my ranged squad r assigned a barracks on 1 z lvl below top. upper right.

btw i have new recruits who wont train as well.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 09:15:44 am »

Erm, so why did they _start training_ when i assigned them a barracks? The only thing i saw in the upper right of the 1-below-top level was an archery range, not a barracks. Standing in place with "no order" or "going to archery training" is generally caused by not having a legal barracks to train at (unreachable, no barracks assigned, or whatever is assigned actually isn't a barracks).

Edit: you could also deactivate them, which would remove the "can't train because of no barracks" lock. You'd still need to completely re-organise the equipment so they have matching weapons and ammo. Your archers are never going to shoot if they wield javelin launchers but have bolts in their quivers. To do this, you'd have to edit the uniforms to use e.g. only "crossbows" or only javelin launchers instead of "ranged, individual choice". To ease their self-management, you could also remove all inappropriate ammo from the ammo assignment screen. I'm not sure, but they might _claim_ inappropriate ammo without ever picking it up, thus blocking its use for other squads.

I think as long as you specify a specific weapon type (crossbow, bow, launcher etc.) and matching ammo, they should at least be useful in battle, but you seem to be making progress getting their training issues sorted out, too.

@below: hmm, can it be beds work differently from armour/weapon stands or cabinets when used as barracks? Or was the bed not set for training? - that'd break them, because ime active training, including archery, _has_ to begin with an "organise training" session in a _barracks_. It's totally possible that there are some weird effects i've not seen yet, though. I guess i'll take another look at beds and the additional squad assignment flags next time.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:57:55 am by Larix »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 09:35:54 am »

top left bed to the left of the archery target is the barracks

btw, I removed all other ammo then bolts

removed them all from squads
unpaused
re-added to squads
turned on fastdwarf 0 1 to see if they go to training.

Still not.

They are also assigned to train at this archery range...

update:
by setting the archery range to ztiq barracks status, they started to fire.  I had one area for training (archery range) and the beds for all other stuff.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:52:59 am by thistleknot »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you have them set to inactive? I find that they won't actually do archery practice if they are in active/training status.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

they were not set inactive, but I copied the schedules to both inactive/active anyways and tried alternating between the two.  Ensuring the squads were active in each alert status