Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This isn't an update. This isn't an update at all!

Patience, young Padawan
- 24 (9.5%)
Bribe lazy owls
- 28 (11.1%)
Prod lazy owls
- 25 (9.9%)
Beat lazy owls
- 25 (9.9%)
Savagely beat lazy owls
- 33 (13.1%)
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
- 66 (26.2%)
Abandon thread
- 18 (7.1%)
Get our own LP, with blackjack and hookers!
- 33 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 179

Author Topic: Expendable Princess [Week 12: Hoops]  (Read 265072 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Expendable Princess [Week 18 Continued: Threats]
« Reply #600 on: January 02, 2014, 12:46:08 am »

The only noble plots we should care about are the ones which will result in our death, so Assassins it should be.
As a counterpoint, the vast majority of assassins will probably be hired by pissed off nobles.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 02, 2014, 01:14:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She's growing up so fast. *sniff*

Noble Plots
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 02, 2014, 01:24:30 am »

Noble Plots.

Spoiler: Vaguely Worded Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 02, 2014, 02:33:38 am »

Awh, yeah!  I'm betting we wouldn't even have this option without our awesome intrigue (father seems not to trust us with anything we don't know about).

Noble Plots, as I'm certain they can take our crown without killing us, and frankly, our reflexes are awesome.

Bwahahaha!!!! I'm playing this game. It's awesome. I highly recommend it. :)

EDIT:
It's kind of unforgiving though.

Can't be too unforgiving, as we're still alive, right?  ;D

For those who've played: I'm concerned that this is the sort of game where once you've played through a few times, you pretty much know what is going to happen.  Is that true, or is there some randomness to the events to keep us guessing?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 02, 2014, 03:25:00 am »

I've played it 4 times unsuccessfully and events are mostly the same up to this point, but in the next few weeks there's some divergences based on choices you've made previously (and all have ended in terrible death for me). I haven't quite figured out which choices cause which events.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 02, 2014, 03:32:22 am »

For those who've played: I'm concerned that this is the sort of game where once you've played through a few times, you pretty much know what is going to happen.  Is that true, or is there some randomness to the events to keep us guessing?

Yes and no. There are regular weekly events that consistently happen every time on a given week. But having put in a 5 hour binge today, my impression is that while there is no randomness, I'd say the overall design philosophy was Guide Dang It.

First off, while yes there are a bunch of completely gauranteed X happens on week Y events, there are also a bunch of absolutely crazy-nested situations where X happens unless Y, except on Tuesdays in which case X still happens, but it happens to your neighbor instead, unless you previously married your neighbors niece to your second cousin, in which case Z happens, and that triggers Y to happen a week later instead. I've been consulting a guide, and there are some things that there are just no way you could reasonably be expected to figure out without playing the game dozens of times and taking copious notes of your skill values and which events happens on every given day.

Secondly, while the game usually tells you which skills are being tested, it doesn't tell you what values are needed to pass a test. It also doesn't specify when only one of a group of skills are required, and when several are required. So if you see a test in which skill X fails and a test for skill Y fails, and then you die...and skill X is at 50 and skill Y is at 30, not only do you not know how high you need to raise those skills, you don't know whether you need to raise only one of them or both of them. And in some cases there are joint skill tests, where the required value is the combination of multiple skills. So there are cases where even if you raise a skill to 100, it's still not enough, because you need a net value greater than 100 combined from multiple skills. Figuring all of the required values through trial and error would be horribly painful. And to make it worse, events often contain multiple paths, so that whether you pass or fail a skill test determines which of two dialogue paths you get, each of which has their own skill tests. So if even if you save every month and find out you need skill X on week Y, then restore from a previous save and train X, you then might pass the test only to discover that you also need skill Z. And in some cases no path results in death...but instead affect things that do or don't happen later in the game, so figuring out whether you even want to pass or fail those tests in the first place isn't always obvious.

Third, in some cases there are some absolutely crazy skill requirements to trigger certain, that even looking at the guide that tells me exactly what I need to trigger the event, I'm still having difficulty because getting those values in time is non-trivial.

So, the game seems to be not random at all...but unlike Princes Maker where after you play it a few times you get a sense of what to do, what not to do, and you generally know if X if your goal, what you need to do to accomplish it...here, there's  mix of events that always happen every single time on a given week and other events that even if you trigger them...you'll have now way to know why they triggered or how to trigger them again. Too many event resolutions affect things that happen 20-30 weeks later to reliably make things happen the way you probably want them to.

At least, that's my view after ~5 hours of playing.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 02, 2014, 04:23:06 am »

Posting to watch for hilarious princessy antics.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 02, 2014, 05:12:07 am »

That's a reassuring analysis.

Also hey ragnarok. Kind of surprised you didn't show up earlier, this seems like it might be your kind of thing. :3
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 02, 2014, 05:13:05 am »

That's a reassuring analysis.

Well, either that or hilarious grimdark slaughterfests.

One of the two.

Either way, hilarity will be had.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 02, 2014, 06:25:39 am »

I'm going to support the ones voting for Noble Plots. Prevention is better than cure at the very least :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 02, 2014, 06:28:21 am »

If CK2 taught me anything, it's that the best way to be safe is to have all your vassals in your dungeons. So we need to unveil the plots to have an excuse for jailing them (or push them into open rebellion and crush them on the battlefield).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 02, 2014, 06:32:48 am »

See? Sheb gets it. Then we can execute or even banish them!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 02, 2014, 07:20:45 am »

Tossing one vote onto Noble Plots or Assasins... whichever of those have lower score when you get to my post, IronyOwl :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 02, 2014, 07:45:05 am »

PTW
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 02, 2014, 08:00:55 am »

Noble plots
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 179