Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This isn't an update. This isn't an update at all!

Patience, young Padawan
- 24 (9.5%)
Bribe lazy owls
- 28 (11.1%)
Prod lazy owls
- 25 (9.9%)
Beat lazy owls
- 25 (9.9%)
Savagely beat lazy owls
- 33 (13.1%)
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
- 66 (26.2%)
Abandon thread
- 18 (7.1%)
Get our own LP, with blackjack and hookers!
- 33 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 179

Author Topic: Expendable Princess [Week 12: Hoops]  (Read 262015 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Expendable Princess [Week 12: Hoops]
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:21:15 pm »

Long Live The Queen is a game vaguely akin to Princess Maker 2, though less open-ended and more lethal. We must guide a princess who has recently lost her mother on the road to becoming a proper queen, hopefully without dying too much in the process.

Or, more likely, dying savagely to an endless parade of costly mistakes and reckless pride.

Please pardon the mess. The OP and initial weeks of Princess Axespendable's reign are undergoing reconstruction.

Please note that this is intended to be a blind LP. As such:

-Please do not discuss any spoilers or meta knowledge of any kind in the thread, except in spoiler tags.
-Within spoiler tags, you may mention and discuss spoilers in general terms ("We'll need more teacups soon or else"), but not hard specifics ("If we've got less than 6 teacups when the Duchess comes to visit in three days she'll stab us") unless properly tagged with a warning.
-Within a spoiler explicitly tagged as containing specifics ("Heavy Spoilers," "WARNING: SPOILERS WITHIN"), you may freely discuss anything you like in any detail you like.
-Outside or meta knowledge may freely affect your own votes and goals; just try not to make it too obvious that you're voting for spoilery reasons.
-Anything uncovered through the course of playthroughs in this thread is no longer a spoiler. Do note that this does not apply to things people have already verbally spoiled, and aspects of events where we've seen the event but not that particular aspect.

Ideally, this should allow both players familiar with the game and those who haven't had the pleasure to enjoy themselves.

Conveniently Spoilered Intro
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Maids." That's a very polite term for the psychopaths who are about to run her life off a cliff, possibly literally.

Speaking of which, we have work to do:

As you can see, she's wearing her school uniform and doesn't look very happy.

Spoiler: Classes (click to show/hide)
Our first order of business is setting her classes for the week. Now I know what you're saying: "Ooh! Ooh! Pick that one, that looks neat!"

However, I also know what you should be saying, which is "Okay, so what does all this do?" Glad you asked, no one!

Spoiler: Current Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current Mood (click to show/hide)
As you can see, there are a lot of skills, divided into clusters of three that form class subjects. Class subjects are then grouped into overarching, color-coded categories.

You'll also notice that she has bonuses or penalties to a few skills, and that's mainly owing to her mood. Currently, she's very depressed and a little afraid, possibly due in slight part to her mother dying and her suddenly needing to become queen in a year.

Wuss.

Anyway, because her highest feeling is Depressed, she takes penalties to some skill gains and bonuses to others. Her depression also makes her fear totally irrelevant- only the highest emotion applies.

Now, as to what classes actually do. By default, classes raise the given attribute by 2 points per day, and it's a 5 day week. This means by default, each week of class raises an attribute cluster by 10 points. But the bonuses and penalties applied by mood are per day- meaning if she tries to learn Conversation with its -2 penalty, for instance, she'll learn absolutely nothing. As you can see, modifiers are very potent.

Which brings us to our current situation. We need to establish her morning and evening classes for the coming week, as well as perhaps get some default reactions or strategy going if we need to respond to a situation without bringing it before the council first.

Oh, and this may be ever so macabre... but I would also suggest coming up with a name for her. Her canon name is Elodie, of course, but I suspect this isn't the only Elodie we're going to have. Something starting with A might make for a convenient, if rather cynical, pattern. :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:05:18 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Expendable Princess: A Long Live The Queen Let's Play
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:31:26 pm »

Royal Memorial
Herein are recorded those valiant princesses whose trials have passed, either by ascending them or, far more likely, by being freed of their mortal coil.

Needless to say, rather massive spoilers contained within.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:54:09 pm by IronyOwl »
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:37:01 pm »

What skills does depression affect?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 09:38:33 pm »

Have her train with dogs!  So she can raise extremely loyal and powerful attack dogs (maybe, I have no idea how this game works)!

Plus, you know, animal handling is the only thing she can learn better than normal.  And I'm certain (not really) working with cute puppies that will become lethal attack dogs will cheer her up.

EDIT: Er, so that would be a vote for animal handling classes.  She'll also learn how to talk to birdies and play with horsies, I guess.  As a bonus, I'm guessing she'll become a better horse rider, making her a better knight (sure, why not?).

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 09:40:17 pm »

Gave this game a shot even though I'm typically not a fan of VN's/Anime art styles, but it was pretty fun. Although seriously, prepare to die many, many times because of a single, seemingly unimportant skill you figured would be a waste of time to train.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 10:21:06 pm »

What skills does depression affect?
Your guess is as good as mine, though from her current skillset I'd assume -1 Royal Demeanor and Athletics, -2 Conversation, and +1 Expression and Animal Handling.

Gave this game a shot even though I'm typically not a fan of VN's/Anime art styles, but it was pretty fun. Although seriously, prepare to die many, many times because of a single, seemingly unimportant skill you figured would be a waste of time to train.
That's a relief. I was afraid we'd die twice and then win.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 10:53:32 pm »

I cannot help but bring myself to recommend the name "Axespendable I", and an initial class scheduled involving at least one go at weapons, with a focus on polearms (if that's possible).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 07:22:26 am »

horse animal training, that would definitely cheer her up

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 07:28:47 am »

I'm glad this game has a lot of death in it; it seems to present an amusing duality of cute and deadly srs. XD

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 08:02:58 am »

Watching this one with amused interest, had a bit of fun with this game last night after seeing that the overall opinion of some vocal people on the Steam forums of the game was 'eww, pink'. The game is actually quite fun, in the Dwarf Fortress sense at least :P

One word of warning about skills;

That said, mostly ignoring what I've picked up about the early game events and going with my min-max instincts, it makes sense to go with whatever gives the most pluses. :)

So I'll cast a vote in favour of picking up Decoration and Dogs classes. We shall be the finest dressed princess with the finest dressed attack chihuahuas!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 08:11:31 am »

Intriguing, is there any relation to Lizzie Shinkicker? :P

Hm... we should train her Falconry. Nothing says lordly (or queenly as it may be) like having a trained hunting bird!
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 11:30:05 am »

The one letsplay I REALLY REALLY want to read but I can't because this game REALLY interests me and this game seems like the kind of game that you want to play without spoilers.

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 01:12:17 pm »

Wait, let's get our priorities straight. Do we want to stay alive? Because if we want to stay alive, it kind of limits our choices a fair bit.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 02:52:29 pm »

I say let's make this a fun run-through first. Make mistakes, then learn how to correct them. If a few princesses die, they die. :D

Now... I am leaning towards making Elodie into a Mongolian Princess. None of these basket-weaving cowards in this household! High marks in Horsemanship, Archery, Military Strategy, and Falconering, while also working on her charisma, so that she can eventually lead Nova to great glory!

Some History and Military would also be nice though!

However, medicine and stable economics however are for the meek. We shall have no cowards in this household!

To achieve this, I would agree that introducing her to the animals should be our first step. Once she get's less depressed and silly, we can introduce her to the finer arts of being a Mongol Princess.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 06:47:57 pm »

Week 1: Puppies and Falcons and Murderesses, Oh My!

Haha, so, oops. Turns out you select the subcategory as well. The first of many, many errors, I am sure!

In any case, animal handling seemed to be the only thing there was a fair consensus on, and falcons and puppies seemed fairly well-represented amongst those, so our princess, who we may be calling Axespendable for want of other names, spent the morning... well, take a look:

Nothing gets you in the mood to learn about falcons like being depressed.

Our first event!

And rebels, dear. Rebels here to cut your head off and claim your throne.

Or them.

Now are they the nice cousins or the scheming for your throne cousins?

Oh hell, look at that sultry whore. She'll see you strangled in your bed before the next full moon, dear.

I guess nothing cheers you up like hearing your aunt tell you she's sorry about your mother.

Oh! And the husband of the seductress, the one you're actually blood-related to, looks kind of wussy and tired!

RUN.

Now HERE'S a face you can trust. Unless she starts laughing maniacally and grabs an axe, in which case... well, two princesses enter, one queen leaves, I guess.

It'll be the best, least-stabbery sleepover ever!

Almost missed getting a shot of it, but talking to our cousin and her stabby mother has really improved Elodie's/Axespendable's mood!

I uh, don't actually know what happens when two moods tie. I'm sure we'll eventually find out!

Oho! Being a princess isn't all work and making small talk with your murderer and replacement. Now it's time for some weekend fun!

Like... wandering your empty frightening castle halls, or wallowing in mortality and terror at your mother's grave.

Wait, let's get our priorities straight. Do we want to stay alive? Because if we want to stay alive, it kind of limits our choices a fair bit.
If I'd wanted us to live I probably wouldn't have made a point of playing this game completely blind.

Or suggested we name each iteration so we can keep track of them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 179