Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39

Author Topic: «*MASTERWORK-DF - Studded With Patches*» - Unofficial release  (Read 70563 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: «☼MASTERWORK-DF - Studded With Patches☼» - Unofficial release
« Reply #360 on: December 29, 2013, 01:29:03 am »

Version control doesn't necessarily mean smaller commit intervals. You can keep commits stored locally and amend them instead of making new ones whenever you make changes, then only push larger, finished updates to Github if you want.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #361 on: December 29, 2013, 01:34:27 am »

Why does the stonecrafters workshop have a crutch?  :o (and its between splint and statue. I just noticed it, because it stands out so much. All the other items are in alphabetical order)

If we were using Dropbox, and you said "hey, I've updated the coin mint reactions in reaction_masterwork.txt, pull them across", I could have the changes done in a minute, even if there are other changes in the file. That's a nice workflow, it's fast for both of us.
I posted it here, which is quicker then uploading the file. And copying from the board into one file takes 10 seconds.  ???
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:36:11 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 29, 2013, 01:46:46 am »

The main issue is that conflicting changes can't be merged automatically (in some cases).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #363 on: December 29, 2013, 01:49:04 am »

The main issue is that conflicting changes can't be merged automatically (in some cases).
Thats why I dislike automatic merging. Its all done by hand. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 29, 2013, 02:21:36 am »

Why does the stonecrafters workshop have a crutch?  :o (and its between splint and statue. I just noticed it, because it stands out so much. All the other items are in alphabetical order)

Because thistleknot asked for them. Please feel free to remove them or reassign the reaction position if you don't feel they fit.

I've also updated the top-post of this thread to include a list of all the user visible changes ever made as part of SWP, including links to what those changes actually were. I imagine you'll have a bunch of "hey, how did this come about" questions, and this list is a good place to find answers.

Quote from: Meph
I posted it here, which is quicker then uploading the file. And copying from the board into one file takes 10 seconds.  ???

Quote from: McTeellox
Would it be okay if you could link a copy of your complete file with the changes in it, or include it in the next beta release? I'm able to work much, much faster with complete files, as it's an automatic process. Individual chunks of file I have to do by hand, which is incredibly time-consuming and error-prone. :/

It's easier and faster for me to take a whole file, and tell my tools 'just this change please', than it is for me to take a single change (which isn't in patch format) and try to figure out where it applies in the file

Sending me a chunk of raw requires you cutting and pasting it (which may be fast enough), but then requires me figuring out which file it goes into, finding the chunk of file that actually need to be updated, deleting the old contents, adding the new contents, checking to make sure I haven't deleted too much or too little, checking to see what changes that introduces, and *then* making the commit. That takes a lot of time, it's error-prone, and it breaks my concentration from whatever I was actually doing.  What's more, I don't have good alternatives; I can ask you for the whole file (which so far hasn't worked), or I can refuse to accept the change into SWP entirely.

I just want a workflow which is better than what we have right now.

I'm really sorry. I know you're not trying to make things difficult, but right now I'm feeling that I'm just being completely ignored. I know that I'm tired, and today's been frustrating for other reasons, so I hope you're that I'm going to put this thread down for a while and do other things. I don't think I can continue to participate today.

~ T

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #365 on: December 29, 2013, 02:46:18 am »

I can see splinterz changes on github, but they suffer from a couple of regressions. Moon arrows are added back in, and a bunch of the BATCH_CLAY reactions are re-enabled for kobolds. Otherwise things look good. Want me to merge them across?

Do be aware that I'm not always going to be able to spot when you've undone someone else's changes. While I've caught the problems this time because I inspected the changes by hand, we're not always going to be that lucky; especially if I'm tired, stressed, short on time, or travelling. This is my friendly nudge to push you towards using git, which would have made the chances of stomping on existing work much less likely (because it would pick up everyone else's changes automatically, or apply them nicely on top of yours). ;)

The playable race settings have been flipped on orcs and kobolds, but I don't think we actually want them playable by default.  Antmen also look like they've been disabled by default. That's all easy to fix, though.

Moon arrows are added back in, and a bunch of the BATCH_CLAY reactions are re-enabled for kobolds. Otherwise things look good. Want me to merge them across?
??? But they should both be removed. Neither moon arrrows nor batch clay oven do exist anymore, for a reason.
ugh. those regressions were in the entity files you sent me for the new civ changes to the GUI, Meph. that's my mistake McTeellox. knowing that Meph refuses to use github, i should have manually verified the files were up to date before i pushed the changes.

@Thistleknot: i didn't even realize that DT wasn't updated to the most recent version (that's what happens when you code instead of playing :()
Edit: while the executable wasn't up to date, game_data.ini and default_gridviews.dtg are identical
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 03:40:28 am by splinterz »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #366 on: December 29, 2013, 03:47:38 am »

I went through the entire list of changes.

"Obsidian: Removed many grasses that *only* existed in Obsidian."
 - You replaced obsidien specific grass with masterwork specific grass. Grasses have different tiles and colors, the obsidian tileset even had animated grass. You deleted it, replacing it with masterwork-tileset grass, which uses different tiles and colors.

"Harmonize phoebus grasses fully with masterwork raws (McTeellox)"
 - You replaced phoebus specific grass with masterwork specific grass. Grasses have different tiles and colors, thats why they are different. You effectively changed the looks of the Phoebus set.

"Rebalance: Medicine produces five units from two plants."
 - The plant reagent has "[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]". The reaction will always produce the 10 medicine I added. (Or 5, that you changed), regardless of plant stack size. 1 plant will make 5, 10 plants will also make 5.

"Add missing braces around INVERTED TILE in masterwork tilesets and Obsidian Soul (McTeellox)"
 - No, you cant do that. ^^ Just download Obsidian Soul (or Phoebus), and you will see that the tools you gave inverted tiles, actually do not use inverted tiles. Again, you changed graphics that are unique to specific tilesets.

"Fix missing brackets on INVERTED_TILE tags"
 - Same thing.

"Fix typo of _CLAY to CLAY in inorganic_stone_soil.txt"
 - Awesome. That caused the magma-pottery that some people reported on other tilesets. Nice one.

"Manual harmonisation of plant raws across tilesets"
 - NO! Argh. You broke even more of the grasses. Look at this reddit post: http://de.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/1tqod9/need_help_with_tile_colors/ I was so confused when I saw that, thought the guy made a mistake with the install. But it was actually you, who replaced the ascii grasses that use COLOR:2:0:1:2:0:0 with masterwork-tileset grasses that use COLOR:2:2:1:2:2:0.

"Stonecrafters workshops can make crutches (GH #3) (McTeellox)"
 - Ah... found it. :)

And I didnt mean to ignore you. You said: If you make changes, please upload the file. And I said: Ok, I will learn Github, but its not worth it right now, because its only 1 release. After this I work a month on something that has nothing to do with the uploaded mod, because Warlocks get their own files, and dont require any changes on files that already exist. This means after the next release, I can just drag & drop the Warlocks into it. This requires no work at all. After that, I wont mod for a while.

I am not doing any github, dropbox or uploading of files RIGHT NOW, because its not worth the trouble. I only do 1 release in 2-3 days from now, which would make it obsolete then. But after my next tour I will adapt to the new environment and work more publically. But thats in half a year from now. If I try github now, as a noob, then dont use it for 3-4 months, I will forget everything and have to learn it again. ;)

To offer a solution for right now:

You do your patches. I do my patches. Before I upload the next release, you send me your files, I merge everything together by hand, and release the next mod update. This way you dont have any extra work; and I dont care, because I like work. Hope thats ok for you. :)

Dont despair, you are doing great work, and are a great help, especially with fixing bugs across multiple tilesets. Obviously you didnt knew about the grass tiles/colors, but thats about the only thing. The rest is opinions; If a crutch made of solid rock is an actual help or not, for example. ;)

EDIT:
ugh. those regressions were in the entity files you sent me for the new civ changes to the GUI, Meph. that's my mistake McTeellox. knowing that Meph refuses to use github, i should have manually verified the files were up to date before i pushed the changes.
And... this is exactly the reason I dont want to upload any complete files. ^^

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:07:24 am by Meph »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #367 on: December 29, 2013, 04:13:28 am »

i've reverted most of the changes from the entity files that shouldn't have been there. entity_default still needs to be reviewed though (fake_bone reactions and other stuff)
You do your patches. I do my patches. Before I upload the next release, you send me your files, I merge everything together by hand, and release the next mod update...
for the love of whatever god(s) you believe in man, just embrace version control. it's not that hard, it is worth the time, and it does exactly what you're proposing. (get the changes, review the changes, merge the changes)
And... this is exactly the reason I dont want to upload any complete files. ^^
suuuure, that's what caused it. suuuure. nothing to do with not updating your files first or anything. noooope.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #368 on: December 29, 2013, 04:26:09 am »

suuuure, that's what caused it. suuuure. nothing to do with not updating your files first or anything. noooope.

Ehm... me updating files? I am the author of the files. They cant be more up-to-date then the ones I have. This thread is about an unofficial release, and I didnt even knew that you were using it as a base for the GUI changes we discussed. I thought that you were using the official 4f release.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #369 on: December 29, 2013, 05:18:27 am »

Ehm... me updating files? I am the author of the files. They cant be more up-to-date then the ones I have. This thread is about an unofficial release, and I didnt even knew that you were using it as a base for the GUI changes we discussed. I thought that you were using the official 4f release.
oh fuck it. i give up.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 29, 2013, 09:23:56 am »

I{m so annoyed with not seeing Splinterz DT being put into this release
??? Isnt splinterz himself contributing to the github here?

splinterz isnt pushing the mwdf dt, but just his version of dt (and I do not believe its been pushed to the studded with patches either).  So the gridviews arent the one from the link i posted earlier [ie mdt version, masterwork dwarf therapist].  So I merged his [vanilla] dt with mdt that has all the correct mappings to labors that are required to properly use the app in mwdf

as a sidenote on your guys conversation.

I think if Meph ran the version control system, his would be the most authorative.  And I believe everything outside of his branch would be the experiemental, and he could review the changes online...  But, I dont know much about version control, nor does he.  Let him take his time to learn it, and once he learns it (when he has time) i am sure he will assimilate.

Updated post...

btw, I played a bit today, and finally had some bubonic plague show up.

The new wave had 5 members catch it within a few minutes, and they were 100% within my fort, and I was able to put them into a squad and send them on their way and wall the other two off without getting too much of the fort infected... very happy with the nerfed results.  However,  think total 6 or 7 dwarfs were infected within about 5 minutes of 220fps gameplay.  Not sure if thats what I wanted.  Seems just as catchable as the flu... but Im sure its still a lot better than it was before, and I was able to filter by using Splinterz new feature to filter by syndromes (in DT)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:46:38 pm by thistleknot »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #371 on: December 30, 2013, 05:02:41 pm »

Warmist did update Rendermax to r4, the last missing piece. :)

Download can be found here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7843

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 30, 2013, 08:47:14 pm »

i dld studded w patches uni branch a day ago and its still DT 20.6.6,vs 20.7

although the gridviews look right

nm checked patch log
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:09:08 pm by thistleknot »

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 30, 2013, 10:18:01 pm »

I want to start with an apology. Sunday wasn't a great day for me. I was low on sleep due to co-hosting a late-night radio program. I hadn't eaten properly. I had some personal matters that were vying for my attention. That ended up with me being irritable, which was awful and not anyone else's fault, but it definitely showed in this thread. For that, I am truly sorry.

Having said that, I'm going to take a break from the forums for a while. I'll continue to accept changes as per the SWP contributor's guide, but for the time being I won't be monitoring this and other threads for potential bugs and improvements which can be made.

Insofar as recent changes are concerned, Splinterz has made a commit incorporating the new Therapist changes, and I've integrated it, but I haven't manually verified which version that is. I've also taken Splinterz recent changes and committed them as a squashed commit. It's the same changes, but the fix-ups have been rolled into the same commit, resulting in a cleaner history.

I've restored all tileset grasses to Masterwork 4c settings, and I've added Meph's syndrome effects to all evil grasses in unified, regardless of their tileset. Likewise, the inverted tile issues have been reverted.

Rendermax has not been updated. The r4 rendermax.lua script contains significant code changes from what was released with previous Masterwork releases, and Masterwork makes significant customisations to this file.

Meph, regarding getting a copy of my files, there should never be a reason for me to send them to you. All my work is public, and the files are always available in the top-post of this thread for download. Unified contains your beta changes, master is still based upon the 4f release.

Thank you all for your contributions,

~ T

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 31, 2013, 09:44:05 pm »

Unified and master have both been updated with the official 4g. The following changes were made as part of the integration:

• Antmen reenabled by default
  • Gremlins reenabled by default
  • Kept Sage Ethereals' new hotkeys. (#64)
  • Added consistent indendetation for warlock boneyard reactions
  • Orc and kobold civs are no longer playable by default (same as all previous MWDF releases)
  • Standardised all races except dwarves as non-adventurer playable by default (some were enabled, some were not)
  • Cleansed directories of Thumbs.db files, logfiles, and other temp files.

~ T
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39